Menu

Alternative to the book "whatever happened to penny candy"?

ktgrok

We are reading this with book shark and it is not from the point of view I prefer to teach from. We are having lots of great discussions because of that, but it also means reading 10 pages takes for freaking ever because I have to keep stopping to explain other points of view and why I disagree with the author. That's great sometimes, but I don't always have that time. Is there something else we could read as a general overview of economics? Not from a libertarian point of view?

This would be for it to daughter 11, six grade. For me to read to her. Actually, videos would be great too or instead of a book. Either way. Thanks!

NO personal experience with any of these, but perhaps:

The Kids' Everything Money Book (Sember)
National Geographic Kids: Everything Money (Furgang)
Economics for Tweens (Liu)
Economics for Kids (Semerau)
Let's Chat About Economics: Basic Principles Through Everyday Scenarios (Balconi)

ETA - PS:
Kids Discover: Money -- just a short resource, and only about money (rather than economics), but we thought it was fun

Edited by Lori D.

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

NOT Life of Fred PA with Economics!!! It is also strongly libertarian in viewpoint, and while it led to some good discussions, it definitely was not open and go as a result. I Imagine the LOF Financial Choices book is similar. 

Strongly agree with this!  I would add that not only is it strongly libertarian, it's totally obnoxious about it.  At least Penny Candy isn't obnoxious.

That said, I have no ideas about alternatives, except waiting until the student is a bit older and ready for something like Naked Economics.

Chiming in also to say I thought penny candy was a head scratcher.  After listening to Freaknomics and Planet Money for years, it was weird to have a children's book devoted 100% to money supply.  I mean, I get money supply is important, but isn't there so much more to economics?  

• Like 1