Menu

"Preferred Pharmacies" for Covid-19 At-Home Test Reimbursement

Ting Tang

I just purchased four tests.  My health insurance company says they must be purchased from "preferred" pharmacies.  Two are listed: Rite-Aid (we do not have those anywhere nearby) or Wal-Mart (always out of stock).  No CVS... No Walgreens...  This seems absurd to me. 

So I guess I won't be reimbursed my $40 I just spent.  

I did send for free tests, but I am hoping to have some sooner due to possible exposure.  

• Confused 1

I believe that the law says that insurance has to fully cover tests at preferred pharmacies, but that insurance also has to reimburse a certain dollar amount per test from non-preferred retailers. Though reimbursement probably means paperwork then waiting.

• Like 3

You could probably file an out of network claim form. My husband’s employer provided insurance doesn’t restrict the pharmacy but has other restrictions. He can file an expense claim for PCR test if its for something insurance won’t reimburse (other than personal travel). Either way the person using the tests has to be symptomatic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

I believe that the law says that insurance has to fully cover tests at preferred pharmacies, but that insurance also has to reimburse a certain dollar amount per test from non-preferred retailers. Though reimbursement probably means paperwork then waiting.

Since the cap is at $12 per test, OP should be able to get full reimbursement as long as her purchase is on or after Jan 15th.

https://time.com/6138417/home-covid-tests-insurance-coverage/
The administration is trying to incentivize private insurers to cover the tests up-front and without a cumbersome reimbursement process. Insurance plans that work with pharmacies and retailers to cover the up-front costs of the tests will be required to reimburse only up to $12 per test if purchased through an out-of-network retailer. Plans that don’t move proactively to set up a network of pharmacies would have to cover the full retail price that the customer paid — which could be more than $12 per test”

• Like 1

Thank you all for the clarification.  I am just so frustrated because everything seems complicated.  I do have two tests here and ordered my 4 free ones, but the decision to get more is because my sister-in-law is in town to help my mother-in-law (who lives nextdoor to us) recover from her whipple pancreatic cancer surgery. 

Get this. She got the call her daughter was exposed at dance and told NOBODY on her way here.  Kept it to herself.  The next day, we did go over because it was my son's birthday. I felt weird about it, but people think I am nuts, so I decided to live a little.  Last night she tells us the daughter is positive, and now the son is.  I'm not sure why anyone would show up knowing they were exposed.  MIL is a cancer patient.  Anyway, if I give SIL our tests, we have none.  Tomorrow will have been 3 days since I was in her presence.  I won't have any tests until maybe mid next week if I give her ours.  Maybe she can go find a place to get a test done.  

• Sad 7

Wow. Her selfishness is beyond the pale. I am furious on your behalf!

Keep your tests for your own use. Your priority needs to be in keeping your family safe. 

I hope your MIL somehow wasn’t exposed. I can’t even begin to imagine what your SIL was thinking. 😞 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

I'm not sure why anyone would show up knowing they were exposed.  MIL is a cancer patient. 

What is wrong with people?  I really don't get it.  😞

I agree that you need to take the tests for yourself and I really hope your MIL stays healthy.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KrisTom said:

Thank you all for the clarification.  I am just so frustrated because everything seems complicated.  I do have two tests here and ordered my 4 free ones, but the decision to get more is because my sister-in-law is in town to help my mother-in-law (who lives nextdoor to us) recover from her whipple pancreatic cancer surgery. 

Get this. She got the call her daughter was exposed at dance and told NOBODY on her way here.  Kept it to herself.  The next day, we did go over because it was my son's birthday. I felt weird about it, but people think I am nuts, so I decided to live a little.  Last night she tells us the daughter is positive, and now the son is.  I'm not sure why anyone would show up knowing they were exposed.  MIL is a cancer patient.  Anyway, if I give SIL our tests, we have none.  Tomorrow will have been 3 days since I was in her presence.  I won't have any tests until maybe mid next week if I give her ours.  Maybe she can go find a place to get a test done.  

I am so sorry this has happened to you! That is some fricking awful selfishness on her part, and she deserves a tongue lashing from you! But I also understand if you are quietly stewing due to your mother in law's needs.

Edited by Faith-manor

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am so sorry this has happened to you! That is some fricking awful selfishness on her part, and she deserves a tongue lashing from you! But I also understand if you are quietly stewing due to your mother in law's needs.

I wish I could. The lady has two master's degrees but comes across as so aloof and it all ends up being a joke.  They are busy planning the "extended family vacation menu" while I was looking to see if anyone had any extra Covid tests in stock. Most places are out except for a tiny rural pharmacy not too far away...  Last year I cringed going on that vacation. They lied about two of the boys having travel tournaments and staying in hotels....i.e. exposure.  They know to keep things to themselves until it's too late.  I am always expected to deal with my level of discomfort.  Thank you all for reassuring me I am not the bad one!

29 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

I wish I could. The lady has two master's degrees but comes across as so aloof and it all ends up being a joke.  They are busy planning the "extended family vacation menu" while I was looking to see if anyone had any extra Covid tests in stock. Most places are out except for a tiny rural pharmacy not too far away...  Last year I cringed going on that vacation. They lied about two of the boys having travel tournaments and staying in hotels....i.e. exposure.  They know to keep things to themselves until it's too late.  I am always expected to deal with my level of discomfort.  Thank you all for reassuring me I am not the bad one!

You are not the bad one. She is the bad one, very bad. I hope you do not go on that vacation. 

Just now, Faith-manor said:

You are not the bad one. She is the bad one, very bad. I hope you do not go on that vacation. 

It is almost a fight every year with my husband.  This is hopefully going to be the very last year.  I am just tired of an obviously intelligent woman getting "passes."  It's always poor, busy...  so aloof...  not her fault... She blatantly lied.  It would be one thing hadn't she known...  but who does that?!  I'd be mad if she came with flu or some other plague, too.

1 minute ago, KrisTom said:

It is almost a fight every year with my husband.  This is hopefully going to be the very last year.  I am just tired of an obviously intelligent woman getting "passes."  It's always poor, busy...  so aloof...  not her fault... She blatantly lied.  It would be one thing hadn't she known...  but who does that?!  I'd be mad if she came with flu or some other plague, too.

Well, the Hive has your back if you decide to draw a line in the sand and refuse to go! Hubby can "suck it up buttercup" as the saying goes.

• Like 1