Menu

Covid and Battleship

BlsdMama

Same here. I was telling the husband that it feels like we're on a football team running with the ball from the 1 yd line and every player on the other team is heading towards us, always getting closer.

That, or what I saw on social media: We playing Middle School Dodge Ball and the front line is reeeeally thinned out.

• Like 6

It is crazy where I live. I likely had it at Christmas, but couldn’t find a test. Those I have talked with that did manage to get tested have not heard back, going on two weeks later! I had a Dr appointment a few days ago and he said they are at half staff right now - across the board, from doctors to telephone staff - because so many people have omicron. This doctor also said that the symptoms are so vague and it is so highly contagious, that it is just spreading like crazy, even a passing of someone with it is enough to infect you. 

• Sad 1

Our shop manager just asked a sales rep to leave.  He showed up with obvious symptoms but waving it off, 'oh its just a cold.  Oh I don't have fever.  Oh I know it is not Covid.'  When one of our at risk workers came in and got a mask from me....and when the sales rep was standing on top of our painter, manager asked him to leave.

• Sad 6

Just now, Scarlett said:

Our shop manager just asked a sales rep to leave.  He showed up with obvious symptoms but waving it off, 'oh its just a cold.  Oh I don't have fever.  Oh I know it is not Covid.'  When one of our at risk workers came in and got a mask from me....and when the sales rep was standing on top of our painter, manager asked him to leave.

I'm glad the manager was quick to ask the guy to leave, but I hope he didn't have time to infect anyone.

I would be spraying the place with so much Lysol that I would probably be in more danger of getting some kind of Lysol poisoning than of catching Covid!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Covid is Exploding here. I remember when 1,000 cases in a week was big. I’m grateful Omicron is less deadly. 

It feels like Battleship. I get notified of another contact  and decide if it is a near miss, direct hit, etc…. 

1,000/wk as big. Almost funny now that my little county has exceeded 600 on a few individual days. Not ha-ha funny.  Not any kind of funny.  I’m just laughing maniacally because what else am I going to do?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I'm glad the manager was quick to ask the guy to leave, but I hope he didn't have time to infect anyone.

I would be spraying the place with so much Lysol that I would probably be in more danger of getting some kind of Lysol poisoning than of catching Covid!

He was here maybe 10 min and our shop is HUGE.  Hopefully no one was infected.  Manager asked him, 'did you get tested?'  No, I don't have Covid.  

Um, you literally have  Covid symptoms and you could literally infect someone and kill them.  So no you do not know you don't have Covid.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Manager asked him, 'did you get tested?'  No, I don't have Covid.  

Um, you literally have  Covid symptoms and you could literally infect someone and kill them.  So no you do not know you don't have Covid.  

This is the interaction I have had with a local relative. It *infuriates* me, but they are just oblivious. The disconnect is really something.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Covid is Exploding here. I remember when 1,000 cases in a week was big. I’m grateful Omicron is less deadly. 

It feels like Battleship. I get notified of another contact  and decide if it is a near miss, direct hit, etc…. 

Love the analogy!

We may get ‘hit’ this Saturday because of a funeral which is indoors. My husband is the only tech guy in the congregation and they have asked him to do the zooming service. 😆

we expect a large audience because she was well loved and had lots of grandkids. 

2 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Love the analogy!

We may get ‘hit’ this Saturday because of a funeral which is indoors. My husband is the only tech guy in the congregation and they have asked him to do the zooming service. 😆

we expect a large audience because she was well loved and had lots of grandkids. 

My Dh hosts Zoom from home.  It works as long as someone turns on the laptop/camera at church.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happi duck said:

My Dh hosts Zoom from home.  It works as long as someone turns on the laptop/camera at church.

Yes. Generally, that is what happens during church service, but they don’t want anything to go wrong this Saturday. And I think the configuration of where the cameras will be will be different. 

he’s going to see if he can just get them set up beforehand and then leave to a classroom, but doubtful. 

And then there’s the issue with the viewing (camera). The husband of the deceased usually brings his laptop for camera use, but he will be too distraught to bring it. We may have to use ours. 

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

1,000/wk as big. Almost funny now that my little county has exceeded 600 on a few individual days. Not ha-ha funny.  Not any kind of funny.  I’m just laughing maniacally because what else am I going to do?

We’re at 32,000 *confirmed* positives this week in a largely unpopulated state. They expect us to peak in 2-3 weeks. 

5 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

It is crazy where I live. I likely had it at Christmas, but couldn’t find a test. Those I have talked with that did manage to get tested have not heard back, going on two weeks later! I had a Dr appointment a few days ago and he said they are at half staff right now - across the board, from doctors to telephone staff - because so many people have omicron. This doctor also said that the symptoms are so vague and it is so highly contagious, that it is just spreading like crazy, even a passing of someone with it is enough to infect you. 

I had the monster cold that tested negative more than once, including when I was quite symptomatic. But I still wonder if I may have had omicron variant since I’m hearing lots of stories of false negatives. Yet at the same time, Flu A and another nasty respiratory virus were going around, so who knows? It’s stressful living on high alert 22 months straight. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

I get pinged as a casual contact almost every time I go out. I just assume everyone has Covid and never take my mask off. 

Ds worked a full shift last week with a + person. It's 7 days since exposure, so hopefully we're all ok.

I go back to school in two weeks and I'm assuming Covid will be running rampant. I may have to (be coerced to) work while + but asymptomatic, and have co-workers who are + but working. That might be quitting point. 

But yeah, it's everywhere. 

I'm actually going to the movies the day before school goes back. I figure if I have to dive into the Covid pool, the least I can do is have some fun the day before. 

• Like 1