Menu

More decorating advice, please

Hoggirl

Y’all were so helpful with my fireplace, I thought I would come back for more advice on decor. 

Ds was here over the holidays and says (he has said this before) that our home is, “sterile,” and that it looks like, “no one lives here.”  I am very much a minimalist, and I hate having a bunch of knickknacky things sitting around.  However, he likely has a valid  point, so I am looking to put something of interest that is easy to move/easy to dust around in this space.  Could be on the table, could be on he counter (at one or either end, but not in the middle - we use it for serving). 

Everything is very neutral other than what is in our art on other walls and some lime/chartreuse green as an accent color. 

F370BAA9-C4A0-4E7A-A54E-1134BE4235DC.jpeg

4D8BD5F9-7FAC-4ED6-BA69-75422AEED32C.jpeg

91E8DAAF-08AC-49A3-B0CD-977C80F601FE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

Should have added that I cannot do *real* plants. The windows are north-facing, plus I just kill anything green I try to grow!

Where would you place the plant @fraidycat?

Hanging, I would center with the windows, potted I would place in front of the left window to create a "break" between the counter and the bar.

Fake plants are my friends, too! Black thumb + cats. 😖😁

• Like 3

Just now, fraidycat said:

Hanging, I would center with the windows, potted I would place in front of the left window to create a "break" between the counter and the bar.

Fake plants are my friends, too! Black thumb + cats. 😖😁

Don’t think I can hang. Building sprinkler system runs through there. 

I, too, have a black thumb. 

A plant would look nice!

How about a pretty bowl filled with fruit? I would put it in the center of the dining table, or on the left side of the long counter. It would be functional and add some color. 

ETA: maybe something like this?

Edited by mmasc
Add link
  • Like 3

I love trays - you could put a wooden tray on the counter with a small (fake)plant and a candle and something else you like, maybe a framed photograph - things look nice grouped in threes. 

For your table - go ahead and put out placemats, a charger - not too shiny, and set your plates out and put a long cloth napkin out too (I like to tuck the napkin between the plate and the charger so it hangs down long. This will give you lots of color and texture from the placemat, to the charger, to the plates, and the napkins which are all useful things. Keep your table set kind of... I don't set out silverware but keep the plates on the table. I enjoy changing the table with the seasons and pick up four decorative plates to put out. You could also add a centerpiece to your table or use a table runner. 

• Like 2

I agree about putting up some artwork on the walls. That way it's interesting/cozy/fun, whatever you want it to be, without cluttering up surfaces. If you can't do real plants, what about some art with nature theme? 

I admire how un-cluttered your space is!!

• Like 1

You can do this without cluttering your counters. Get a centerpiece that you love (it can be a beautiful bowl for fruit. It doesn’t have to be non-functional) and coordinate it with a nice piece of art over the glasses. Then, hang a plant near the window. Get a big, healthy pathos. It doesn’t need much light and will droop and tell you when to water it. A snake plant LOVES low light and being ignored and can look rather minimalist. These small things will make a difference without adding a ton of ‘stuff’

59A2FAB6-C25C-487F-B007-D5F910E05C89.jpeg

• Like 17

I don't do real plants either. I don't have time to keep them alive and I don't like bugs in the house, and plants always seem to have little flies. If I did live plants, it would be succulents, but I am content with my artificial succulents that look perfectly real. 

I agree with long artwork over the glass shelves a colored rug and centerpiece would do a lot. I also like clean counters and few knick knacks, so don't think you need much.

• Like 1

The only thing I would add is one plant (real, not fake) on the counter. With the shelves of glassware right there, anything more than that would feel like clutter to me. The table is very pretty and I wouldn’t break it up visually by putting something on it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I would hang a plant, and then weekly get a small bouquet of flowers from the grocery or florist, and have a vase of flowers on the table. Flowers always make a room feel "dressed up" and warm.

Since the OP has a black thumb and no interest in a plant, I’d do as Faith as said: buy a bouquet of flowers from somewhere cheap.  Get two vases: a low one for the table and a tall one for the counter. There are usually a lot of vases to choose from at thrift stores. Split the bouquet into the two vases.  

Use the powder stuff that they give you in the water to make the flowers last longer. Change the water every few days. They’ll last around 2 weeks. 

• Like 3

I totally understand minimalism, and trying to find the line between that and too stark.

I'd add some place mats to the table, or maybe a charger or something for the center.

I'd add either a crystal bowl of fruit (fake or real) on the counter, or a fake plant or fake flower arrangement. Some of the fake floral stuff nowadays is really quite nice looking, even the inexpensive stuff from Walmart or Dollar Tree. It's easy to change out seasonally, or you can make (or buy) arrangements for each season. A bowl of fruit could also be used as a simple centerpiece for your table.

I'd try to find a "soft" piece of artwork to go above the glass shelving.

You can start with just one of these things and then get a feel for what (if anything) you want to add. I'd start with the table, because I think that's going to make the biggest difference.

ETA: Because I'm a huge fan of decorative but practical things, you could also place a decorative basket on the counter that could hold cloth napkins or something similar.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I love minimalism and a bland palette. But it is to make the bold pops of color really visible. 

I am a plant killer and a recovering black thumb so I can absolutely understand. 

For instance, in two places you can add really bold color and have it stand out and my eyes were drawn to them. I am also not fond of using things just decoratively. No plaques or statues. So I use practical things for decorative purposes. 

The shelf of glass is very cold. You can absolutely add color to them with drink ware.

Something like this. It hits both color and pattern and is useful as well.

https://www.novica.com/p/unique-handblown-recycled-glass-juice-drinkware/61550/

If that is too much, something like this

https://www.novica.com/p/cobalt-blue-recycled-glass-tumblers-from-mexico/410623/

Second, your dining table has color in the chairs at the head and the bottom end of the tables. But a pale green and it is washed out. What it needs is jewel tone color. A punch that is in your face so that it softens the hard glass and cold metal. If I use color it is always a jewel tone to stand out and in your face because it draws the eye.

I would add a vibrant table runner like this

https://www.novica.com/p/hand-woven-animal-themed-cotton-table-runner/184324/

that softens it because of the fabric and sort of ties the colors in. The green chairs would pop more I think. 

You absolutely need a beautiful something to stay on the long back counter underneath the windows. 

https://www.novica.com/p/artisan-crafted-natural-wood-fruit-bowl-from/251411/

https://www.novica.com/p/crackled-blue-celadon-covered-bowl-with-elephants/221709/

https://www.novica.com/p/hand-painted-talavera-ceramic-fruit-bowl-from/290370/

https://www.novica.com/p/floral-artisan-crafted-ceramic-cookie-jar/256427/

You have a beautiful palette and I think it just needs a bit more just to pop. 

• Like 6

I would put a green tinted or painted, clear glass vase on the right side of the counter. Since you get natural light there, the clear parts will sparkle. I would then put seasonal stems in the vase. Fresh or artificial, what ever makes sense to you. Here is are two I found on Amazon with just a few minutes of searching.

If you don't want to put stems in it, maybe a piece that is more artistic would be nice. (The picture with handles)

One item is a good place to start and see how you feel about it. If adds stress to have it on the counter, then go for art on the wall. I like textures in art, so I would probably create a small cluster of black and white art, in black, gold or silver frames and put it above the clear glasses. Maybe pictures of the family, or detail shots of things you adore. Things that have meaning to you, will make the place feel warmer. 

If you can handle several changes at once, I would add some colored glass to the shelves. Or a few items in mercury glass to add some warm reflected light .

green vase 2.jpg

green vase 1.jpg

green vase 3.jpg

• Like 6

Everything seems hard and flat in terms of texture. I wonder if that is what he is picking up. What would be soft and curved or fluffy that you could add to this space? A plant in a woven basket (fake is totally fine!), a woven wall hanging? 

Your house is mid century mod, right? I think the black and white aesthetic is fine…you just need more texture.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DreamerGirl said:

I love minimalism and a bland palette. But it is to make the bold pops of color really visible. 

I am a plant killer and a recovering black thumb so I can absolutely understand. 

For instance, in two places you can add really bold color and have it stand out and my eyes were drawn to them. I am also not fond of using things just decoratively. No plaques or statues. So I use practical things for decorative purposes. 

The shelf of glass is very cold. You can absolutely add color to them with drink ware.

Something like this. It hits both color and pattern and is useful as well.

https://www.novica.com/p/unique-handblown-recycled-glass-juice-drinkware/61550/

If that is too much, something like this

https://www.novica.com/p/cobalt-blue-recycled-glass-tumblers-from-mexico/410623/

Second, your dining table has color in the chairs at the head and the bottom end of the tables. But a pale green and it is washed out. What it needs is jewel tone color. A punch that is in your face so that it softens the hard glass and cold metal. If I use color it is always a jewel tone to stand out and in your face because it draws the eye.

I would add a vibrant table runner like this

https://www.novica.com/p/hand-woven-animal-themed-cotton-table-runner/184324/

that softens it because of the fabric and sort of ties the colors in. The green chairs would pop more I think. 

You absolutely need a beautiful something to stay on the long back counter underneath the windows. 

https://www.novica.com/p/artisan-crafted-natural-wood-fruit-bowl-from/251411/

https://www.novica.com/p/crackled-blue-celadon-covered-bowl-with-elephants/221709/

https://www.novica.com/p/hand-painted-talavera-ceramic-fruit-bowl-from/290370/

https://www.novica.com/p/floral-artisan-crafted-ceramic-cookie-jar/256427/

You have a beautiful palette and I think it just needs a bit more just to pop. 

As a fellow minimalist, this is exactly my strategy.

I love many of the pieces you linked. But I would also encourage @Hoggirlto look locally for work done by local artists if she decides to go with any of your ideas. I like to do this both because it supports local artists and the art scene, but also because then there is often a memory attached. For example, the day after Thanksgiving we took a beautiful drive through wine country here to go to a Maker’s Market at a local farm and winery because we knew a rug artist we like would be there. Now when I see his rugs in our house, I not only get to enjoy their beauty and pops of color, but I have great memories of a wonderful day in the country with my husband and our dog.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 5

Cactus, aloe vera, bamboo plants add colour and are very easy to keep alive. Just ignore them and they seem to thrive. 😉 

Your glass shelves are gorgeous, but adding some coloured glass items would add some interest and variety. 

The dark cabinets and counter contrasted with white window frames could use something to soften the effect. A fruit bowl, and/or a figurine with curved shapes, even a cat on the counter, would fun. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Everything seems hard and flat in terms of texture. I wonder if that is what he is picking up. What would be soft and curved or fluffy that you could add to this space? A plant in a woven basket (fake is totally fine!), a woven wall hanging? 

Your house is mid century mod, right? I think the black and white aesthetic is fine…you just need more texture.

A table runner like @DreamerGirlsuggested would also add texture.

• Like 1

I like the third green vase Tap posted. 

After thinking for a bit, here is what I would do. I would put soft art (like Pawz4me said) above the glasses, and maybe put the green vase on the right side end of the counter. I wouldn’t touch the table. I love the clean design. MAYBE add some color in the glasses, if it seemed to need it. I like all the clear glasses with the light shining over them. I think adding these would give a few nice things to draw your eye to, and still keep the simplicity and classy look of the room. Just my two cents. But again, I like minimal!

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

Thanks, all. 

Yes, our condo has a MCM vibe to it.  @DreamerGirl did link some lovely things, but they are honestly too, “busy” and kinda (??) Boho. At least for *me*.  

The dining table is actually glass and wood (walnut).  Not sure if it showed as metal or black or ?? in the photo.  The cabinets have a bit of a cinnamon hue to them, but they are also brown. 

The space above the top shelf on the bar is not very tall, but I think I would be more inclined to add color there than in our glassware.  I really don’t like the idea of wine, beer, or whisky in a colored glass.  So, I would have to look for something narrow.  

I do agree that starting with just one thing is an excellent idea.  I think starting with the corner with either a fake plant or flowers in a vase is probably best.  I love the idea of a green vase.  I do think a table runner would interfere with the lines of the table bases.  As I rethink, I probably don’t want anything on there.  I tend to sit here a lot during the day and sort of spread out. 

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.  And the time you put into making them! 🙂

• Like 5

I think if you like the general look of what you have but just want to soften things a little, the countertop is the place to focus. It feels barren to me while the rest is minimalist but doesn't feel unfinished to me. I think a snake plant would be perfect on the countertop or a zz plant which is even tougher. But if plants are out, I'd look for some piece of art you like. If it's canvas, you could put it on a display easel, but some interesting pottery or pottery sculpture would be cool. There are certainly more modern pieces that would avoid the more rustic pottery look (which personally I like but wouldn't fit in your space.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1128783757/pre-order-raku-half-copper-matte-large?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=large+pottery&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=1128783757&listing_slug=pre-order-raku-half-copper-matte-large&plkey=e0468cb0734a3afe4a3590085e3cd6936340ac01%3A1128783757

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1128957355/colorama-ceramic-vase-handmade-wheel?click_key=0aa9b195888b392ad091aae42c92332767509c32%3A1128957355&click_sum=f760f054&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=large+pottery+sculpture&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1

Hiding the outlets with what you are using would be good, but you'd need balance and not just two similar sized pieces in front of each one. 

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, livetoread said:

I think if you like the general look of what you have but just want to soften things a little, the countertop is the place to focus. It feels barren to me while the rest is minimalist but doesn't feel unfinished to me. I think a snake plant would be perfect on the countertop or a zz plant which is even tougher. But if plants are out, I'd look for some piece of art you like. If it's canvas, you could put it on a display easel, but some interesting pottery or pottery sculpture would be cool. There are certainly more modern pieces that would avoid the more rustic pottery look (which personally I like but wouldn't fit in your space.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1128783757/pre-order-raku-half-copper-matte-large?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=large+pottery&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=1128783757&listing_slug=pre-order-raku-half-copper-matte-large&plkey=e0468cb0734a3afe4a3590085e3cd6936340ac01%3A1128783757

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1128957355/colorama-ceramic-vase-handmade-wheel?click_key=0aa9b195888b392ad091aae42c92332767509c32%3A1128957355&click_sum=f760f054&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=large+pottery+sculpture&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1

Hiding the outlets with what you are using would be good, but you'd need balance and not just two similar sized pieces in front of each one. 

I love both of those that you linked! That first one, in particular, really blends in with the mosaic backsplash I have in my kitchen. 

I’m rethinking a bit. The outlets are really bugging me now, so I am thinking I might do two low, narrow succulent boxes in front of them.  I have rearranged my glass shelves a bit and have removed the two non-glass items and have made a, “hole” on the top center shelf to place something with color.  

Do y’all  think staying with glass is best or would a colored ceramic piece be better?  Such as the first one that @livetoreadlinked? I’m trying to decide about the scale.  I have clearance of 32”, but I think if I go too tall it will not look balanced with the stemware. Attaching a new picture to show the, “hole” I have made for something decorative. 

BCA6501D-D472-4CD8-8826-AC3390B48B92.jpeg

A nice silk plant.  I picked up a nice silk orchid from costco last year.  (silk has the advantage of not dropping leaves, not needing to be watered, and not looking ugly if it doesn't like the spot.) - the drawback of a plant is it can look like something generic a home stager will use to make a house look "occupied".

a pretty 'bowl' -either on the table or the counter.  (i have a glass bowl with colored glass 'marbles' in it for color on my dining room table.)  Or  some fruit does better out of the fridge and it could serve a dual purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

I love both of those that you linked! That first one, in particular, really blends in with the mosaic backsplash I have in my kitchen. 

I’m rethinking a bit. The outlets are really bugging me now, so I am thinking I might do two low, narrow succulent boxes in front of them.  I have rearranged my glass shelves a bit and have removed the two non-glass items and have made a, “hole” on the top center shelf to place something with color.  

Do y’all  think staying with glass is best or would a colored ceramic piece be better?  Such as the first one that @livetoreadlinked? I’m trying to decide about the scale.  I have clearance of 32”, but I think if I go too tall it will not look balanced with the stemware. Attaching a new picture to show the, “hole” I have made for something decorative. 

I think ceramic, or anything other than glass would work to give the space some texture. Whatever you choose will really "pop" off the "blank canvas" of the surrounding glassware and mild color of the wall. I think I would go with something that is at least one third to half the height of the opening (10" - 16") Nothing too big and bold, but not so small that it looks out of place with the glassware.

• Like 1

I'd consider multiple framed family photos, perhaps all black and white.  Some could also be printed out quotes that are meaningful to you.

I'd test out frames even between the shelves.  You can cut paper to frame sizes and put them up to see what you think.  Because you like clear glass it could look cool to have some layers happening.  

I think personal photos can help it look lived in versus staged.

I have a set of frames that I put different photos in every few months.  (At this point I have several sets so just rotate.). That same idea could help with changing up the look for holidays, seasons etc.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, Hoggirl said:

Should have added that I cannot do *real* plants. The windows are north-facing, plus I just kill anything green I try to grow!

Where would you place the plant @fraidycat?

An aside about plants that addresses the multiple common problems people have brought up in case it helps someone...

Light/windows: some of my best plant growing has been in a north facing window. It helps if they are large, but it can be done. Succulents can stand a supplemental grow light though. A light/water meter can help you troubleshoot, but the plants mentioned in this thread would be fine in this space.

Bugs: yellow sticky traps; someone else on here has recommended mosquito bits in the water. I also suggest buying from a local greenhouse as they will try to control pests. Cooking soil when you repot is just about a requirement at this point.

Water: People are more likely to over-water than under-water. If you are an over waterer, unglazed clay pots will absorb some of the extra. Water/light meters are very inexpensive, just realize you should water a little, give it a few minutes to absorb, and then do the reading. 

Agree with the suggestion of snake plant and pothos--they really are hardy. I know someone that had slips of Pothos around her kitchen with very little light. She just had them in water, not in soil, and they grew like weeds! I don't know if she eventually potted them or not, but they really are crazy hardy.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:06 PM, Pawz4me said:

ETA: Because I'm a huge fan of decorative but practical things, you could also place a decorative basket on the counter that could hold cloth napkins or something similar.

OP, I like your idea of succulent trays on the counters.

Functional plus pretty is always a good way to go! What about a super nice wooden cutting board to display? 

On 1/9/2022 at 4:12 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree--maybe layers of things vs. groupings? And maybe something to balance out the shiny. 

Textiles are always nice, though I will admit that I am not a placemat/tablerunner kind of girl as much as I have wanted to be. A centerpiece cloth could also work--something that is round or square. A pretty napkin could do if it's large enough, and you can layer a bowl with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

The blue colour in that framed photo totally draws my eye. I'd move it up to eye level and perhaps pair it with something of a similar or complementary colour. It's about the only thing that caught my eye, and I really like it. It just seems like it could be placed in a more attractive location. 

I like the idea of low succulent boxes in front of the outlets. If you go with different succulents in each one (but relatively similar though different heights) you'll avoid the matchy matchy thing. I'm assuming you're talking about fake succulents because I don't know that real ones would like that low of light.

I like this bowl with your overall look. It's kind of low for the top shelf, though you could put it on its edge with a little stand. Might work on the middle shelf and then just keep the top shelf glasses, or maybe it would fit somewhere else in your area out of the picture. It's glass as well which doesn't contrast and soften as much as ceramic but it adds some nice subtle color. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1063305802/abstract-art-glass-fruit-bowl-in?click_key=738f09597bca69b05429d2b3115fbaf533fd0d6f%3A1063305802&click_sum=96ec74db&ref=search_recently_viewed-1&frs=1&sts=1

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

That sounds great!

Pothos survives ANYTHING. It can be 95% dead and a bit of water will perk it right up. They are the best! (not if you have cats though, poisonous.

image.png.7b5348960898185a45be2abe6c363a91.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

The blue colour in that framed photo totally draws my eye. I'd move it up to eye level and perhaps pair it with something of a similar or complementary colour. It's about the only thing that caught my eye, and I really like it. It just seems like it could be placed in a more attractive location. 

It’s a digital frame, so moving it up would expose the cord, unfortunately. 

Your glass shelves are really lovely and ceramic would feel heavy there I think. Your shelves seem to be floating and do not clutter the eye. I think a glass vase in a strong color would draw the eye and reflect the light.

Succulents sound like a lovely idea. Or you could have an orchid. They are harder to kill and could last months. Ask me how I know.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Your glass shelves are really lovely and ceramic would feel heavy there I think. Your shelves seem to be floating and do not clutter the eye. I think a glass vase in a strong color would draw the eye and reflect the light.

I agree. Something like this would be gorgeous

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/484310343/fused-glass-art-panel-round-crashing?click_key=9a809f60d387fc984bc9aeeb09377cda7ac0fca6%3A484310343&click_sum=aa163af7&ref=shop_home_feat_3&sts=1

• Like 1

(I haven't read everyone's.)  For the table:  A table runner with a couple candles?  For the counter-space:  Plants and framed standing pictures?  Maybe another candle, and a pretty candy bowl.  Or maybe a table-top lamp? 

I'm kind of a minimalist too, but somehow our spaces fill up with things like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

That's from the same shop as the bowl I linked too! They have some cool stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, livetoread said:

That's from the same shop as the bowl I linked too! They have some cool stuff.

Yes it is. I followed your link. 😊 I really love that kind of glass work. I have a couple of similar pieces I received as wedding gifts 25 years and I still really love them. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2