Menu

Can you help me think through boosters for my kids (age 15)? (WSJ story link added in a comment 2022.01.26)

SKL

Well I was planning on getting them boosted ASAP, because school quarantine rules greatly favor those whose last shot was within the last 6 months.  But before we got the chance, Covid paid our home a visit.  Two household members have tested positive, including Kid1.  Kid2 has tested negative (on home tests) and had no symptoms so far, but has been quite exposed.

Question one - do you think the Covid exposure of Kid2 might provide temporary benefit?  I remember reading that benign exposure to a virus in the community can help extend immunity (gained from prior infection or vaccine).  It sounds logical.  Does anyone know if this has been discussed relative to Covid?

Question two - how long should I wait before boosting Kid1?  (Assume I'm going to boost her for school quarantine reasons, regardless of whether it's actually protective in her case.)

Question three - are there any known contraindications against boosting a person who has been vaxed and had Covid?  Any symptom-specific ones?  Kid1 had the worst headache of her life yesterday, if that helps answer the question.

Edited by SKL

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Kid1 had the worst headache of her life yesterday

I can't answer your questions, but I am concerned about this.  Did you happen to talk to the pediatrician about it?  Is it resolved? Did she have nausea, etc. with it? 

12 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I can't answer your questions, but I am concerned about this.  Did you happen to talk to the pediatrician about it?  Is it resolved? Did she have nausea, etc. with it? 

I have heard several people tell me that a bad headache is an Omicron symptom, and since@SKL’s dd tested positive for Covid, I’ll bet that’s what caused it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I asked our ped, the health dept, and the pharmacist about timeline for vaccine doses after having covid. Ds got covid in between his 2 doses. They all said to get the vaccine as soon as out of isolation, no need to wait.

I assume the same would be said for the booster.

I've read really diverging things about this. One school of thought seems to suggest that vaccines + actually getting Covid could lead to some extra boosted immunity for unknown future variants. But other line of thought seems to be that omicron and future imagined variants are probably just not going to protect us that much from the next variant, which could emerge at any time. Since adding a booster won't affect the first (if it does lead to great immunity, then more boosters aren't going to ruin that), I'd err on the side of getting it. We didn't rush to get ours or the kids' because we were like, eh, we'll do it whenever, which then led to us struggling through to try and get the kids as omicron went absolutely bonkers here so, so quickly. That could totally happen again.

DD16 had Covid in November and got her booster in December, almost exactly a month later. I wondered about it, too, but went ahead and got her shot when her siblings got theirs. I really wanted all of the kids to be boostered before the holidays, and I couldn't see any advice to wait online. I guess I could have consulted with her pediatrician, but I didn't.

1. no--I'd get the kid who didn't test positive boosted when it is available to her.

2.  timeframe to boost the now positive kid--I'd wait 90 days (maybe minus 2 weeks, for extra immunity from the booter to build). The 90 days seems to be the CDC/Public health timeframe for believing a covid-like illness is NOT Covid/person does not need to Q after exposure. My understanding is not complete, but if a booster helps for 5-6 months, waiting will give extra time with protection. This advice is contigent on your ability to prove  the case via a positive test that the local health dept will accept (ours does not accept home test results). I'm  a school nurse, and frustratingly, the state/county health depts won't accept home tests as proof, and we still occasionally have to Q kids that have just had covid as close contacts--soo frustrating for all.

3. No that I've ever heard of.

It’s a tough question, because you don’t know that your other dd didn’t/doesn’t have Covid; you only know that she is asymptomatic.

No advice here. I keep hearing conflicting opinions on this, so I can understand why you’re not sure what to do!

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe I should get PCR tests for the girls if the school isn't going to accept my word about the home test.  Grr!  I don't know if we will be able to schedule PCR tests any time soon.  😕  Will it even show up positive if she's 5+ days past first symptoms ....

16 minutes ago, SKL said:

Hmm, maybe I should get PCR tests for the girls if the school isn't going to accept my word about the home test.  Grr!  I don't know if we will be able to schedule PCR tests any time soon.  😕  Will it even show up positive if she's 5+ days past first symptoms ....

Your school may not be as strict as mine (nor do I know what your state DPH says about what qualifies as a case. My state says it has to be lab based, but can be Ag, or PCR). Testing can be hard to come by, and indeed it may be negative at this point (or, it could stay positive for another 2+months, depending on the person and their infection...).

If it were me, I'd weigh the inconvenience of getting the confirmatory test against how likely it is my kid is going to be banished from school in the next 90 days due to future "covid-like" symptoms and how inconvenient that may be to test her  then or for her to miss school. Our state does not (yet) Q double vaxxed kids who are close contacts if they are under 18. 

12 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Dd15 is also having headaches after testing positive Christmas Eve. Not terrible but I’m checking in with her pediatrician.

Yeah, headaches during and post covid is common and also a long covid symptom.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I don't know what the must up to date info is on that.   Maybe call your doc? 

I do know that my kids 12-15 did react to the boosters, where they didn't hardly at all to their first 2 shots.   I don't know if it would be an issue having had covid so recently or not?   And you just don't know how your kid is going to react at all. 

• SKL changed the title to Can you help me think through boosters for my kids (age 15)? (WSJ story link added in a comment 2022.01.26)

Article is paywalled for me--take home message?

Our ped initially said 2-3 months after infection to get the booster, and dd15 is 1 month post infection now. I'm keeping a close eye on cases and especially reinfections among people we know, since Omicron blew threw here early and we're on the downslope in terms of cases. But I really don't like what I'm hearing about reinfections with the BA.2 Omicron variant and it's been sequenced in TX and WA, which means it will be everywhere soon.

On alternate days I'm ready to take dd for her booster, then wondering about waiting and seeing if the Omicron specific Pfizer or another type of vaccine looks more promising. Hmm, I think I'll email the athletic trainer at dd's high school to ask if she's seen repeat infections recently. Winter athletes have so much exposure they're the canary in the coal mine.   

ETA: Have kid1's headaches resolved, @SKL? Took 2-3 weeks for my dd. 

Edited by Acadie

31 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Article is paywalled for me--take home message?

Our ped initially said 2-3 months after infection to get the booster, and dd15 is 1 month post infection now. I'm keeping a close eye on cases and especially reinfections among people we know, since Omicron blew threw here early and we're on the downslope in terms of cases. But I really don't like what I'm hearing about reinfections with the BA.2 Omicron variant and it's been sequenced in TX and WA, which means it will be everywhere soon.

On alternate days I'm ready to take dd for her booster, then wondering about waiting and seeing if the Omicron specific Pfizer or another type of vaccine looks more promising. Hmm, I think I'll email the athletic trainer at dd's high school to ask if she's seen repeat infections recently. Winter athletes have so much exposure they're the canary in the coal mine.   

ETA: Have kid1's headaches resolved, @SKL? Took 2-3 weeks for my dd. 

The article was all over the board, but it seemed to support my decision to wait until March when we're supposed to have an Omicron-specific booster available.

My kid's headache was not long-term.  I'm pretty sure it didn't last beyond 2 or 3 days.  She was more than ready to get back into life once her brief isolation time ended.

Kid2 never did have Covid symptoms, but I'm going to have her wait for the booster also.  She is extremely low risk in any case.

• Like 2

I actually do believe that exposure helps remind your body how to find it kinda like a booster.  It's the reason younger people are getting shingles. Their kids didn't get chicken pox so their immune system didn't get that boost.  In my head I am counting being breathed on by my covid positive little one (I tested negative and didn't have symptoms) as a casual booster.   I will still get one once they have a variant specific one or if I see a clear need.  My second shot put me into a nearly two month AI flare where I could barely even get out of bed most days so I am scared of a booster so maybe that is clouding my thinking.   I am also covid recovered and recovered plus vaccine is really good protection and I didn't catch it when it was in the house and I didn't isolate my sick ones.  So 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1