Menu

New Sewing Machine

Jann in TX

I got a brand new sewing machine for Christmas-- a gift from me to myself!

(Back story --feel free to skip)

Back in the dark ages when I was growing up I made my own clothes starting at age 9 (Including jeans!  How many 4th graders make their own jeans and wear them to school?) Back then fabric remnants were much cheaper than buying clothes at the discount store...  Other than my 'unmentionables' my wardrobe was completely hand made.  When I got married I made my own wedding dress-- but my 'going away dress' was from a clearance rack-- my first store-bought dress in over 10 years!

On my first wedding anniversary DH gifted me with a professional cake decorating class (I still enjoy making fancy/fun cakes!).  For my birthday that year (1985) he bought me a quilting ruler and the book 'Quilting for People Who Don't' Have Time To Quilt' (Currently used copies are available on amazon!).  I've loved quilting every since!

I stopped making clothes for myself when my older girls were born-- but I did make LOTS of little girl dresses! 

Back to the sewing machine... this whole time I was sewing on an inexpensive (under $100) Singer machine (mostly plastic) my parents bought me when I turned 18 in 1983.  I did pick up a used Bernina with an embroidery attachment about 15 years ago.  The Singer machine finally wore out-- and the Bernina is on its last legs.

After a year or so of not sewing (mainly because my machines no longer work and the repair center could do not resuscitate them... I decided to gift myself with a brand new machine-- and I've saved up for it this past year.

Now I'm TERRIFIED of the beast!  I have it set up in my guest room (has space for an awesome sewing/crafting area).  I did turn it on the other day-- but I have yet to thread it... I did manage to pick up some fabric for some quick projects at JoAnn's this week but yet I'm still intimidated!

My Bernina had a bit of a learning curve-- this machine makes that one look like child's play!

Please tell me to get over my intimidation/fears and jump back into sewing-- right now with GS sick with Covid and other family stresses (plus I'm teaching online full time) I can really use the creative release!

If you are curious I chose the Brother 3050.  It is 'new' but I got a discount because it was a floor model...

• Like 5

That looks like an amazing sewing machine!  You will have so much fun.  Don't even start with a project.  Just get your machine threaded and start sewing some scraps that you plan to throw away.  

But, later, when you work up to it, I would love to hear about your adventures in garment sewing.  It is on my bucket list to sew my entire wardrobe.  I have taken some classes in the past, most everyone was older than me.  Only in the last sewing course that I took about two years ago, there were a few younger people. (But no others within about a decade of my age.)  Anyway, sewing is my favorite hobby, but after all these years, I only know two other people in real life who sew their own clothing. So, welcome back to a fabulous creative outlet!

• Like 1

I enjoy sewing.  Agreeing with PP to just experiment with all the stitches, using some scraps.
Just take some time.

I'm guessing your local sewing machine retailer has classes, or look on youtube.

And yes, let us see what you end up making! 
My current fascination is making handbags. 

• Like 2

Aw that's great!! I also began sewing at 9 and did make colored jeans but never my entire wardrobe.  I still see a lot. I'm on the costume team for a local theatre group and make Christmas PJs for my family every year. When they marry they get a quilt made from the scraps of those PJs. I also make swim suits every year for myself and my daughters.   I am currently making denim quilts for the beds of my two youngest boys. And I need to made two dresses for Millie in Seven Brides but I'm waiting on more direction.  I have a daughter turning 8 this year who will get a handmade white dress to wear for her baptism.  

If you live on either coast, the garment/fabric districts in LA and NYC are amazing. I've actually never been to the one in NYC but go 1-2 times a year (less right now) to the one in LA. It definitely makes sewing more affordable than Joann's. 

Oh and my first job was at cloth World. The manager originally told me she doesn't hire teens but then observed me shopping with my mom and realized I knew fabric etc and hired me.  😉

Congratulations! Get going and let us know how it goes! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yay! I can see why it would be a bit intimidating - 14 one step buttonholes alone, I can only picture, like, 2! Start with figuring out straight stitch, yes? After that it will be easy to add on. Maybe a cute zipper pouch, I've liked this one with scraps or far quarters.

Funny, for Christmas I received all the supplies to make my first pair of jeans.

• Like 4

Congrats!! That's very similar to the new one I bought myself during COVID. I have a Janome (just because the threading is so similar to my old Elna machine. I sewed on that sucker (an all metal workhorse) for years. I am STILL learning this machine after a year. I've done rolled hems, blind hems, decorative hems, button holes (there's a special foot attachment to facilitate) and knit stiches and double needle work. It's been a challenge to learn but each new garment helps build my confidence. I mostly sew clothes for my niece (almost 14 mos.)

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I need that kick in the butt. I have not sewn for two years because my Sons Quilters Dream is 21 years old, and it isn't worth repairing. But, I want similar or even more functionality, wider distance between presser foot and inside, and everything out there looks so complicated. Then I finally picked out a machine (didn't know the notice tag, just looking at comparison charts of function and dimensions), and then priced it. It was Bernina that cost almost $8000!!! 😱

I have not looked since then. I want to sew, but am just in this ambivalent, no man's land. Every once in a while I walk past Cinderella (what I call my Elna) and lovingly caress it.

• Like 2

I’m at the same place with a new sewing machine I got for Christmas.  (Except my sewing skills are at a very basic level).  I wound a bobbin and have it in, but that needle threader is not easy to figure out.
A friend held a quilting class a few months ago and my ancient machine promptly quit working right, so I haven’t had a chance to try the things she taught.  Thankfully she has promised to help me once I get all the materials to get started.  If I can thread that needle.🤔

Edited by athena1277
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2