Menu

Would you get them tested?

JustEm

Would you get your kids tested for covid if they have symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat) and someone outside of the household who they are with daily just tested positive? Or would you simply assume they have it and not worry unless symptoms got worse and they needed medical care?

That is the current situation I am in. 

• Sad 7

I would if testing was available and it could be done via drive-through. It sounds like most places though, testing is being rationed and they wouldn’t fall in the group that needs it most. It’s crappy that we’re in this place, because I would want their infection to be documented in some way ideally. Is it all of them? Maybe you could get just one tested? I hope everyone feels better soon.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Would you get your kids tested for covid if they have symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat) and someone outside of the household who they are with daily just tested positive? Or would you simply assume they have it and not worry unless symptoms got worse and they needed medical care?

That is the current situation I am in. 

Oh, my goodness! What a week you are having! If it were easy for the whole family to stay home for the next 10 days, I would probably just assume they have it and not worry.  If we had school, travel, church, elderly family to care for, etc I probably would test.  In my house keeping folks home for that long would be really really tough.  However, after your past 2 days, you probably don't want to EVER leave the house again!

Edited by freesia
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KSera said:

I would if testing was available and it could be done via drive-through. It sounds like most places though, testing is being rationed and they wouldn’t fall in the group that needs it most. It’s crappy that we’re in this place, because I would want their infection to be documented in some way ideally. Is it all of them? Maybe you could get just one tested? I hope everyone feels better soon.

It seems testing is getting harder to find. No at home tests are available in pharmacies. The testing place we had used before that always had easy same day testing doesn't have availability until next week. We could go to an urgent care to get tested but that just seems wrong since I'd be potentially exposing other people

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

It seems testing is getting harder to find. No at home tests are available in pharmacies. The testing place we had used before that always had easy same day testing doesn't have availability until next week. We could go to an urgent care to get tested but that just seems wrong since I'd be potentially exposing other people

Does their pediatrician’s office have an advice line that you can call and ask if they should be tested? Then it would at least get in their record that they likely had Covid.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, freesia said:

Oh, my goodness! What a week you are having! If it were easy for the whole family to stay home for the next 10 days, I would probably just assume they have it and not worry.  If we had school, travel, church, elderly family to care for, etc I probably would test.  In my house keeping folks home for that long would be really really tough.  However, after your past 2 days, you probably don't want to EVER leave the house again!

Staying home for 10 days will be no problem. Dh can work from home, ballet can be via zoom, and nothing else needs to happen. So, I may just test 2 kids with at home tests and wait it out.

It is quite the week. I really don't want to go anywhere. Funny enough, I had to wake up at 4am this morning to hop back on 95 and give my parents a ride to the train station. It was not fun

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Here the urgent Cares are doing testing in the parking lot, with any required appointment being telemedicine. 

10 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Staying home for 10 days will be no problem. Dh can work from home, ballet can be via zoom, and nothing else needs to happen. So, I may just test 2 kids with at home tests and wait it out.

It is quite the week. I really don't want to go anywhere. Funny enough, I had to wake up at 4am this morning to hop back on 95 and give my parents a ride to the train station. It was not fun

I don't have any little kids, so take my opinion FWIW -- I wouldn't bother testing them if it's really difficult to find slots unless your parents are high risk. Because I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could have infected them? DS23 had symptoms Monday night/Tuesday morning, and he only went to be tested because (1) he needs to know for work and (2) DH and I are both high risk, so we probably kinda sorta need to know. If he could work from home and if DH and I didn't have any risk factors then I would have been fine with him just waiting out the symptoms (which have already resolved now). I think sooner rather than later people are going to have to accept that we can't test everybody, or at least not within a time frame that makes it useful for most people. My guess is this is going to become like the flu--we get sick and assume it's flu and hunker down to let it run its course, and most only get tested if we have complications or need/want to get Tamiflu.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't have any little kids, so take my opinion FWIW -- I wouldn't bother testing them if it's really difficult to find slots unless your parents are high risk. 

I think sooner rather than later people are going to have to accept that we can't test everybody, or at least not within a time frame that makes it useful for most people. My guess is this is going to become like the flu--we get sick and assume it's flu and hunker down to let it run its course, and most only get tested if we have complications or need/want to get Tamiflu.

I agree.  I would just assume that they have covid and proceed accordingly.  In fact, I'd probably just save the home tests to use after they (or anyone else who gets sick) are no longer symptomatic, to end the isolation.

• Like 1

Well one kids tested positive. And my sister accidentally gave me the box with only one test not 2. So, I'm just going to decide if I make appointments after I take a nap. Still recovering from being stuck in the car for 26 hours. 

Edited to change it to positive 😓 I'm going to blame that major mistake on lack of sleep.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Sad 7

If my kids had close contacts that needed to know (like they attended public school, had outside jobs, etc) so they could decide to test themselves if my kids were positive, I would go get them tested (assuming you can where you live - it's getting harder here with more people testing, appointments being taken, long lines at testing locations, etc). Or if one of my kids was high risk, then definitely. 
Otherwise, I'd assume they have it, and everyone stay home for 10 days. If I could get any at home tests, I would probably test them (and myself) sometime in there just to be sure. 

• Like 1

I’m seeing people with long covid urging others to make sure they get a PCR test and have that important confirmation since it could be trouble down the road getting access to certain benefits if you don’t have the “official diagnosis” and end up needing supports.  Not sure if that is just here in Canada or applicable elsewhere so ymmv.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Canadianmumof5 said:

I’m seeing people with long covid urging others to make sure they get a PCR test and have that important confirmation since it could be trouble down the road getting access to certain benefits if you don’t have the “official diagnosis” and end up needing supports.  Not sure if that is just here in Canada or applicable elsewhere so ymmv.

I agree. Valid reason for getting a test. I have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic later this month. Upon sending them my positive test document, they waived the mandatory covid test the  day before my procedure. 
They told me they don’t test anybody who is within 90 days of a positive, as it likely will result in a positive. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Canadianmumof5 said:

This is so important. Our insurance here in Michigan will not cover long covid treatment after the fact. You must have a positive covid test prior to symptoms or during the initial symptomatic phase. So even if it seems like "just a cold" at the time, you need that test just in case something goes wrong later. Otherwise, you do battle with the insurance about the diagnosis. I am beyond weary with the for-profit healthcare system here!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Well one kids tested positive. And my sister accidentally gave me the box with only one test not 2. So, I'm just going to decide if I make appointments after I take a nap. Still recovering from being stuck in the car for 26 hours. 

Edited to change it to positive 😓 I'm going to blame that major mistake on lack of sleep.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that.  I read this first when you said negative.  Sending lots of good thoughts to your family and hope everyone has a mild case. 

I am positive as well. Thankfully, I'm the only one who is pretty sick. Everyone else just has a cough and had fevers yesterday. They seem mostly fine now. I on the other hand have slept for 12 hours today, have an awful cough, throat hurts, body aches, zero energy. But I'm already feeling better than I was last night.

• Sad 16

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I am positive as well. Thankfully, I'm the only one who is pretty sick. Everyone else just has a cough and had fevers yesterday. They seem mostly fine now. I on the other hand have slept for 12 hours today, have an awful cough, throat hurts, body aches, zero energy. But I'm already feeling better than I was last night.

I am glad you are feeling better!!  Hoping it moves quickly and each day is better for you.  I am sorry you got it too.  

I am glad everyone else had a mild time of it. 

Um your week sucked!  I am so sorry.  

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am glad you are feeling better!!  Hoping it moves quickly and each day is better for you.  I am sorry you got it too.  

I am glad everyone else had a mild time of it. 

Um your week sucked!  I am so sorry.  

Thanks. At least the weekend was awesome! Ha

• Like 6