Menu

Does this sound like Covid to you?

Catwoman

Omicron seems different than past variants, so I'm not sure what to think. I lean toward thinking this is Covid, but I have been so paranoid for so long that if someone told me they had a particularly bad hangnail, I might start getting suspicious. 😉 Clearly, I am not a good judge of this stuff.

My fully vaccinated friend knows she was exposed to Covid on Christmas Eve. This past Friday, she started feeling lousy. It got worse on Saturday and has remained at about that same level since then. Her biggest symptoms are exhaustion, body aches, and headache. She doesn't have a fever, and she also doesn't have a cough or cold symptoms. She has an intermittent sore throat but she thinks that is probably from the dry air in her house. She says she might have a tiny bit of nasal congestion, but not much. 

She went and had a rapid test done today at a local testing site and her test came back negative. They didn't do a PCR test. She didn't think to blow her nose before she got tested, which may or may not matter, but I thought I should mention it anyway.

So... what do you guys think? Covid or something else? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

EDITING TO ADD:  If you do think this might be Covid, do you have any suggestions on what she could take for it? Right now, she's using acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I suggested Vitamin C and Vitamin D3, but I'm not sure if that was a good suggestion or not. 

Edited by Catwoman

It’s possible. Those were pretty much my dh’s symptoms at first with a breakthrough case in July. He did run a fever, though, by the second day. Rapid test that day was negative, three days later was positive. she should probably lie low at any rate. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Omicron seems different than past variants, so I'm not sure what to think. I lean toward thinking this is Covid, but I have been so paranoid for so long that if someone told me they had a particularly bad hangnail, I might start getting suspicious. 😉 Clearly, I am not a good judge of this stuff.

My fully vaccinated friend knows she was exposed to Covid on Christmas Eve. This past Friday, she started feeling lousy. It got worse on Saturday and has remained at about that same level since then. Her biggest symptoms are exhaustion, body aches, and headache. She doesn't have a fever, and she also doesn't have a cough or cold symptoms. She has an intermittent sore throat but she thinks that is probably from the dry air in her house. She says she might have a tiny bit of nasal congestion, but not much. 

She went and had a rapid test done today at a local testing site and her test came back negative. They didn't do a PCR test. She didn't think to blow her nose before she got tested, which may or may not matter, but I thought I should mention it anyway.

So... what do you guys think? Covid or something else? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Those were my sister's exact symptoms when she had her breakthrough case. She later developed a cough and GI issues, but it started like that. 

• Thanks 1

I just added this to my OP, but I'm posting it here, as well...

If you do think my friend might have Covid, do you have any suggestions on what she could take for it? Right now, she's using acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I suggested Vitamin C and Vitamin D3, but I'm not sure if that was a good suggestion or not. 

I think C and D 3 are always good. If she has zinc lozenges, I’d have her suck on them a few times a day. I also gave dh elderberry syrup for 2-3 days. (3 T a day.). Mostly she needs to stay hydrated—particularly if the fever comes. Dh lost his appetite so I served him watermelon and cantaloupe and chicken broth. Watermelon worked best. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll preface this with: my rapid test and PCR came back negative. But these are the same symptoms I had after being heavily exposed to my COVID positive daughter at Christmas. Crushing fatigue, slept most of 2 days, muscle aches, mild headache, no fever. 

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

I'm hearing a lot of people with a sore throat, headache, exhaustion and some congestion with Omicron. 

Seconding zinc, D3 + K2, fluids and electrolytes, nourishing soups and stews, fruits and veggies, herbal teas like hibiscus and ginger turmeric, and sleep. The basics are really, really important to support our bodies going through this, because it affects every system of the body, even if it seems mostly like cold symptoms in vaccinated people. Also hearing lots of folks starting to feel better and pushing it a bit (even just staying up later) and backsliding with their symptoms.

Attention to nutrition, fluids and sleep needs to last for a few weeks, not just 5 or 10 days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a lot of suggestions except that the zinc lozenges may really help her throat, and stay hydrated big time. It seems like around here even mild cases often dehydrate without the fever because they sleep a lot, and are isolating from family often not being reminded to drink or not fetching it for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't have a lot of suggestions except that the zinc lozenges may really help her throat, and stay hydrated big time. It seems like around here even mild cases often dehydrate without the fever because they sleep a lot, and are isolating from family often not being reminded to drink or not fetching it for themselves.

Yes, I hope she has someone who makes sure she hydrates. I had to make dh drink or have watermelon sometimes. He was so tired and too achy to want to do anything. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catwoman said:

If you do think my friend might have Covid, do you have any suggestions on what she could take for it?  

Really whatever makes her feel better. She should have Mucinex-type stuff on hand, because it seems like you don't have certain covid symptoms, until all of a sudden you do. 

One person in our household tested positive 3 full days before anyone else did, even though the other three people were definitely sick (and arguably sicker than the person who first tested positive, lol). 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, footballmom said:

Was she tested for flu? Sounds like it could be either flu or Covid.  In our house, both positives had fever as well as with the friends we got it from.  (So generous)

No, she says it doesn’t feel like the flu. Also, she has no fever.

How nice of your friends to share their Covid with you! Tell them that the next time they feel like sharing, make it ice cream or pizza. 😉 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

No, she says it doesn’t feel like the flu. Also, she has no fever.

How nice of your friends to share their Covid with you! Tell them that the next time they feel like sharing, make it ice cream or pizza. 😉 

Flu has so many variations not sure you can say what doesn't feel like it. The one year I had a bad flu the worst symptom was leg pain, of all things. (and horrid fatigue to the point I was terrified I'd drop my baby if I tried to hold her sitting up or standing, so had DH put a mattress on the living room floor where I laid with her for 48 hours straight, basically)

I will say in my non reliable opinion, the most important thing is rest. SO MUCH REST. The people I know who got long covid really tried to push through the initial Covid symptoms and didn't get much sleep. Now, that may be coincidental, and I am positive there are genetic aspects at play with long Covid (my sister's long covid is eerily similar to my son's PANDAS ) but yeah - REST REST REST. Now is NOT the time to be a hero. 

Our freaking culture has mad lack of a rest a badge of honor, but this is not the time to fall for that nonsense. 

OH! And my sister also stopped eating, due to fatigue and stress and lack of sense of smell - when they tested her B12 had tanked, but she was eating nothing so not surprised. If unable to eat, at least taking some kind of b vitamin would be wise, and keeping blood sugar up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Melatonin 10 mg at night is supposed to help immune system. It also helps with sleep.

If she is positive and is now on day 6 or so, she really needs to focus on immune building thru nutritious foods/soup…the old standby by, chicken soup. Stay away from dairy as it can contribute to congestion. OTC congestion meds can be helpful…congestion seems to show a few days in. Be sure to  stay hydrated always.There are immune building teas..look at Yogi brand.  And rest. Fatigue is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I will say in my non reliable opinion, the most important thing is rest. SO MUCH REST. The people I know who got long covid really tried to push through the initial Covid symptoms and didn't get much sleep. Now, that may be coincidental, and I am positive there are genetic aspects at play with long Covid (my sister's long covid is eerily similar to my son's PANDAS ) but yeah - REST REST REST. Now is NOT the time to be a hero. 

Our freaking culture has mad lack of a rest a badge of honor, but this is not the time to fall for that nonsense. 

OH! And my sister also stopped eating, due to fatigue and stress and lack of sense of smell - when they tested her B12 had tanked, but she was eating nothing so not surprised. If unable to eat, at least taking some kind of b vitamin would be wise, and keeping blood sugar up. 

I hope your sister is doing better and makes a full recovery.

It's also helpful to hear that anecdotally you're seeing some people with long Covid who tried to push through and maybe didn't get the rest and nutrition they needed. I know this virus impacts different people in different ways, but from what I've seen I think this is a microbe to respect, and that it's super important to support the body for several weeks even after initial symptoms begin resolving. It's not just a cold, that's for sure, even if the apparent symptoms are typical cold symptoms. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Flu has so many variations not sure you can say what doesn't feel like it. The one year I had a bad flu the worst symptom was leg pain, of all things. (and horrid fatigue to the point I was terrified I'd drop my baby if I tried to hold her sitting up or standing, so had DH put a mattress on the living room floor where I laid with her for 48 hours straight, basically)

That's good to know -- thanks! I'll be sure to let her know. 

15 minutes ago, KatieInMN said:

Melatonin 10 mg at night is supposed to help immune system. It also helps with sleep.

If she is positive and is now on day 6 or so, she really needs to focus on immune building thru nutritious foods/soup…the old standby by, chicken soup. Stay away from dairy as it can contribute to congestion. OTC congestion meds can be helpful…congestion seems to show a few days in. Be sure to  stay hydrated always.There are immune building teas..look at Yogi brand.  And rest. Fatigue is crazy.

Ooh! Thanks for reminding me about the melatonin! I'd read about it in a thread a while back, but had completely forgotten about it. I will let my friend know about that today!

I'll tell her about the teas, too. I know she's very well informed about nutrition, but I don't know if she would have thought about the teas, and since she is trying to stay extra-well-hydrated, she might as well try some.

A quick update -- my friend says she is feeling a little better today! It's not a dramatic improvement, but hopefully that means she is headed in the right direction.

Thank you so much for all of your ideas and suggestions! I haven't had a chance to respond to everyone individually, but I'm reading all of your posts to my friend and she is paying close attention to all of them. 

• Like 2