Menu

Phew—dd is on the way back to school

freesia

I just have to share my relief! @MEmama , if you read this, you will understand. Dd goes to school in Canada. We live in the US. She needed a negative PCR to get back to school. Keeping a college aged adult, who wants to see friends and relatives ( who she hasn’t seen for two years) Covid free while in an Omicron hotspot is nerve wracking. Add to that she scheduled her test for the wrong day (ack!). We found an urgent care that did express tests for a fee for travelers only ( bc you didn’t have to see the doctor.) she got her results and is now in the air between Toronto and Vancouver. Yay!!! I  am so relieved.  She has several in person classes ( others online until January 23.) Dhe is also supposed to be stage managing a play for January. We’ll see what happens. 

• Like 7

Yay!! L has the test scheduled for Thurs, to hopefully be able to go back to campus Saturday. Hoping it comes out OK. L has been careful, but everyone else in the family has been in and out of hospitals all week. A trauma hospital isn't as bad as a general one, but it's still a lot more potential exposure than we'd counted on. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Yay!! L has the test scheduled for Thurs, to hopefully be able to go back to campus Saturday. Hoping it comes out OK. L has been careful, but everyone else in the family has been in and out of hospitals all week. A trauma hospital isn't as bad as a general one, but it's still a lot more potential exposure than we'd counted on. 

Yes, and a lot to juggle on top of a Covid surge. I hope it all works out for L ( and that your mom heals quickly.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, freesia said:

I just have to share my relief! @MEmama , if you read this, you will understand. Dd goes to school in Canada. We live in the US. She needed a negative PCR to get back to school. Keeping a college aged adult, who wants to see friends and relatives ( who she hasn’t seen for two years) Covid free while in an Omicron hotspot is nerve wracking. Add to that she scheduled her test for the wrong day (ack!). We found an urgent care that did express tests for a fee for travelers only ( bc you didn’t have to see the doctor.) she got her results and is now in the air between Toronto and Vancouver. Yay!!! I  am so relieved.  She has several in person classes ( others online until January 23.) Dhe is also supposed to be stage managing a play for January. We’ll see what happens. 

Phew! I'm so glad she was able to get the testing sorted, and that her flights weren’t impacted. Both are huge added stressors for sure.

She (and you!) must be happy that she is getting back to her new “real life”! Fingers crossed it’s a relatively normal semester! 🤞

• Like 2

DS is scheduled to get tested at our local airport the day before he flies out from Boston. I’m not overly concerned his direct flight will be impacted, but if it is, he'll likely get rerouted through NY or London. Direct is definitely preferable though.

Idk if he will see friends here again while everyone is home. They did have a NYE get together and everyone tested right before entering the house— so far, so good. 🤞He’s motivated to get back to university so I’m not sure if he'll decide to take any more chances or not. It’s such a tough balance but we are leaving the decision up to him. 

• Like 3

Aaaand Ireland just rescinded the need to get tested before reentering the country, so we can cancel his appointment and open the spot for someone else. Yay!

The logic was that the pre-arrival testing requirement, which just began in early December, was meant to slow down the wave of omicron onto the island. The powers that be feel that it worked, and now that omicron is the dominant strain, as expected, there is no further need for the mandate. I read today that hospital loads are holding steady and they credit people for doing such a good job making the necessary adjustments (fewer, smaller gatherings over the holiday, etc) that they don’t think they’ll have to lock down further or make new mandates. The universities follow the lead of the national health policies so fingers crossed this semester will be in person and relatively normal like it was in the fall. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Aaaand Ireland just rescinded the need to get tested before reentering the country, so we can cancel his appointment and open the spot for someone else. Yay!

The logic was that the pre-arrival testing requirement, which just began in early December, was meant to slow down the wave of omicron onto the island. The powers that be feel that it worked, and now that omicron is the dominant strain, as expected, there is no further need for the mandate. I read today that hospital loads are holding steady and they credit people for doing such a good job making the necessary adjustments (fewer, smaller gatherings over the holiday, etc) that they don’t think they’ll have to lock down further or make new mandates. The universities follow the lead of the national health policies so fingers crossed this semester will be in person and relatively normal like it was in the fall. 

There is a lot of sense to that. Probably more sense than a three day old test.  I hope it is a good semester for him. 

• Thanks 1