Menu

Baptism cakes and shoes

Terabith

So, I was googling pictures of baptism cakes, due to an upcoming baptism in a friend's family, and it appears that baby shoes are a common feature of baptismal cakes.  Which just seems......weird.  Why?  Google assures me that it is, in fact, a common thing, but I can't find any reasoning for why shoes would go along with infant baptism cakes.  Is there some sort of theological thing I'm missing?  

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

So, I was googling pictures of baptism cakes, due to an upcoming baptism in a friend's family, and it appears that baby shoes are a common feature of baptismal cakes.  Which just seems......weird.  Why?  Google assures me that it is, in fact, a common thing, but I can't find any reasoning for why shoes would go along with infant baptism cakes.  Is there some sort of theological thing I'm missing?  

Hmmm...I have not seen that. Shoes here are often baby shower cake toppers. What I have seen here is usually white main icing, pastel colors for trim and writing, usually a bassinet basket, or cradle with a cross on it, or a white cross in a flower garden type setting with a baby's that kind of thing.

The last infant Christening cake I saw - 2019 since we have been hunkered down now for almost two years - was similar to this.

d57d3952a32617db3d69695a19fca3ee.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I googled and saw one where there was a rosary draped in and over the shoes, and all I can think of how horrified my Catholic FIL would be if my kids left their rosary in their smelly shoes.  

Shoes are not appetizing to me, so neither cake and shoes or baptism and shoes resonates.

My friend, years ago, had a pie reception after her daughter's christening, and she also had chocolate eclairs and cream puffs. I highly approved of that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dd was baptized on the Saturday night before Easter.  It was a very solemn but beautiful service.  We had a sort of (secular) Easter-theme coconut cake!  I haven't heard of a shoe cake.  Have they run out of ideas or something?  ☺️

Edited by J-rap

The only thing I can think of is maybe long ago, there was only 1 cake pan shape for a baby cake, and that was the shoe.

So, people generally used that for any baby occasion?!

My mom used to decorate cakes, but she never had a shoe cake pan. She would have made a rectangular cake (so there would be enough for everyone), with a cross or something on top. I do remember she made 'booties' out of pink or blue sugar for a baby cake, but not Christening. Actually, I thought you were going to ask how to make those in this thread!  But she never taught me how, maybe fell out of popularity.

18 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My dd was baptized on the Saturday night before Easter.  It was a very solemn but beautiful service.  We had a sort of (secular) Easter-theme coconut cake!  I haven't heard of a shoe cake.  Have they run out of ideas or something?  ☺️

I am going to blame it on there not being all that many true cake decorators left. Seems like independent bakeries are few and far between, and now people get cakes Walmart, Kroger, etc. They just train people on really basic trim patterns and writing, then top everything with plastic pieces. So to Wal-Mart any baby cake=baby shoes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Coconut cake would be lovely.  White and fluffy like a heavenly cloud!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Coconut cake would be lovely.  White and fluffy like a heavenly cloud!

I almost always chose coconut cake for my February birthday when I was young. My mom had a limited number of shaped cake pans, so it was often a lamb cake.

• Like 1