Menu

fire/hurricane season prep 2022

prairiewindmomma

January is normally when I remind people to stock up on N95 masks + HEPA filters for fire season.  Omicron is kind of putting a pinch in supply, but they are still out there to be found. 

Notably this year I am updating our video of the house if we ever need to document for insurance purposes. I'm also working on updating our priority list for packing and evacuating.  This time around I'm listing where stuff is located because my brain tends to freeze in a crisis.  I'm also using IKEA Frakta bags https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frakta-storage-bag-for-cart-blue-90149148/ and IKEA Dimpa bags https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dimpa-storage-bag-clear-10056770/  to store some things in an already packed-to-go state with a list of what needs to be added to the bag. 

Our plan is still to go out of state if fires come close since our primary problem is us asthmatics being able to continue to breathe safely.  So, I'm working on getting a car kit together as well that includes these: https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-Resealable-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B07Y5QSXQZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2UNLXH6JF9N3W&keywords=travel+john&qid=1641239043&sprefix=travel+john%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=AG04PPHHJG8N8&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWENYODAwMEpBU1BVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODU2NDMyMldSUU5ISlBWSlpTRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjA4ODM0MTZSU0JURVBFNk42VyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= since kids having to go potty while we're sitting in traffic that does not budge seems to be a perpetual issue. 

Does anyone else want to join in on updating supplies and plans?

• Like 1

Thankfully, it’s unlikely I will ever have to evacuate, but we do get hurricanes, tropical storms, and tornadoes. Our biggest issue tends to be prolonged power outages. A few years ago, I bought a Jackery 500. Last Black Friday, I found a deal on the compatible solar panel. I can run a 12v fridge and freezer indefinitely with the solar panel. 

During Covid, we switched over to having bathroom options in the van at all times.
I don't think I'll ever go back to using gas station restrooms.
Link below to inexpensive unisex urinal, which can be sealed, etc.

The tornadoes that swept thru our area last month caused me to be better prepped---both for evacuation AND staying put. 

Credit for 1 of the handouts:  https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/

EmerEvacList21.thumb.jpg.fc8e665d89533055aa89d31192bc416d.jpg

EmerSupplyList21.jpg.173341b09e919c623e968a11023dde30.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/AWOKEN-Bedpans-Plastic-Diabetes-Camping/dp/B06ZZ9RJZZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=9G9STH1GFZMS&keywords=female+urinals+portable+for+car&qid=1641486463&sprefix=female+urinal%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-6

• Like 2

We are actually considering what we should do at the new house. It is on Grind lee Mountain, just south of Huntsville, heavily forested, wild area, and a forest fire watch station is about a mile down the road. Here in our area of Michigan we have do much farmland that we have natural fire breaks between woods and villages/houses. 

I am looking at that 3 day supply list, and getting together with our daughter to make sure we have it on hand down there, as well as having here make an evacuation route plan. There are two directions to get out, and one way is a pretty serious switchback road. Not ideal fire sweeps in from the north, they won't have w choice and need to be come comfortable driving it. However if they can make it to the north just the half mile to the corners they can turn west go a mile, and then get to the other switchback heading south/southeast, and that one is a pretty decent road. Steep but at a slow speed, very driveable and fully paved. She and her hubby have never gone out that way, so they need to take a Sunday afternoon and go for a test drive.

Hurricane wise. I think that area gets the outer bands generally since it is so much further north, basically northern Alabama, not far from Tennessee. But I don't know for sure. I do know tornados are a thing around Huntsville and across Alabama, however, I do not know if they are common at that elevation.

Here in our area close to Lake Huron, we primarily prep for blizzards and electricity loss from high winds.

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

We are actually considering what we should do at the new house. It is on Grind lee Mountain, just south of Huntsville, heavily forested, wild area, and a forest fire watch station is about a mile down the road. Here in our area of Michigan we have do much farmland that we have natural fire breaks between woods and villages/houses. 

I am looking at that 3 day supply list, and getting together with our daughter to make sure we have it on hand down there, as well as having here make an evacuation route plan. There are two directions to get out, and one way is a pretty serious switchback road. Not ideal fire sweeps in from the north, they won't have w choice and need to be come comfortable driving it. However if they can make it to the north just the half mile to the corners they can turn west go a mile, and then get to the other switchback heading south/southeast, and that one is a pretty decent road. Steep but at a slow speed, very driveable and fully paved. She and her hubby have never gone out that way, so they need to take a Sunday afternoon and go for a test drive.

Hurricane wise. I think that area gets the outer bands generally since it is so much further north, basically northern Alabama, not far from Tennessee. But I don't know for sure. I do know tornados are a thing around Huntsville and across Alabama, however, I do not know if they are common at that elevation.

Here in our area close to Lake Huron, we primarily prep for blizzards and electricity loss from high winds.

They are common at every elevation.  For so many years, all the tornado date was based on the midwest, which is flat.  Thankfully, a few years ago,  UAH did a big study about tornadoes in mountainous areas.   And it was not good news for those areas at all.    You can check. FaithManor, if the same ARGIS tornado track maps are available for your county too. 

As to fires and fires in populated areas, I have had fears of those for a long time.  My youngest did a project about urban wildfires in high school. I live in an urban forest and I have two ways out too.   We just try to keep things watered.

3 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

They are common at every elevation.  For so many years, all the tornado date was based on the midwest, which is flat.  Thankfully, a few years ago,  UAH did a big study about tornadoes in mountainous areas.   And it was not good news for those areas at all.    You can check. FaithManor, if the same ARGIS tornado track maps are available for your county too. 

As to fires and fires in populated areas, I have had fears of those for a long time.  My youngest did a project about urban wildfires in high school. I live in an urban forest and I have two ways out too.   We just try to keep things watered.

Thanks for that information.

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Where my mind goes….How’s the defensible space around the house? And can you land a helicopter somewhere if emergency crews need to get you out? IE—what’s the plan if you can’t drive out?