Menu

Hiking for beginners...

DreamerGirl

I was a very gym oriented person. I worked out/swam regularly and early in the morning.

I have weather issues, not too hot or cold just right and the gym was that. Then COVID and I have been getting out in "nature" aka taking a walk in the neighborhood. I have somewhat conquered my weather issues with good gear and a good attitude

So this year I want  to go on solo hikes even 100 miles as part of a 500 mile outdoor goal. 

Gear ?

Safety ? Human and animals ?

Hydration ? (I wear a hydration belt  when we walk now)

Bugs ?

Bathroom ?

I have no clue what to do or where to start and tend to overthink and go around in circles. Please help. TY

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 2

Gear: Good shoes and trekking poles. Spending $100 on shoes/boots is worth it. Personally, I have Keen's , but it is important to try them on when shopping if possible since we all have different feet. Trekking poles, so far, we only have ones that were in the $30-50 range on Amazon. They have worked just fine. We may upgrade at some point, but since we started backpacking too, we have used our gear dollars elsewhere while we get established with that. We all have quick dry clothing. We use longsleeves in summer to prevent sunburn. We all have "floppy hats" that cover ears and neck. We use buffs to cover our necks. We have pack-able down coats and raincoats so we are prepared in all kinds of weather. 

Safety: We hike as a family (4 of us). We have an amazing state park system that we primarily use. Not worried about humans. As for animals, we are not in an area where that would be a concern. We did purchase bear spray for our hikes in Glacier National Park. 

Hydration: we carry nalgene bottles in backpacks. 

Bugs: we often wear long sleeves and pants when hiking-quick dry clothing. Pants all have zip off legs. Sometimes we will use bugspray, not too often. Sunscreen is a necessity for your face and tops of your hands if you have longsleeves and are using trekking poles. 

Bathroom: bring TP, wipes, hand sanitizer and a shovel. We often hike in state parks and our hikes aren't too long that we need facilities on our loops. If you have to use the bathroom, you should be 100 feet away from the trail and water sources. Be sure to leave no trace and bury your human waste and pack out our TP (in an extra ziploc bag) instead of burying that. 

Feel free to ask more questions!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Get a guidebook for the area you are interested in and start with shorter hikes, in well-used destinations. Build from there.
For that, you need no special gear, just good shoes (trail runners, or hiking boots for steel scree/rough terrain), rain gear if necessary. 
Learn to read a map. I also highly recommend a GPS app like Gaia or AllTrails on your phone.

I prefer to take a backpack and carry my water in a bottle. For day hikes, you can carry all the water you need. For multi day hikes, I use an MSR filter that screws onto a Nalgene bottle. Take first aid kit.

I have never had any safety concerns while hiking, unless it is bear country. Obviously, don't meet up with random strangers in remote locations. Never had trouble on the trail. Since you will be staying on well-used trails in the beginning, I would not be concerned about hiking alone. In the remote backcountry, a satellite beacon is useful.

For bugs: in tick country, use permethrin spray to treat your clothes. Otherwise, bug spray (we rarely need)

Bathroom: go away from trail and water and squat. Bury solid waste in a cat hole 6 inches deep. Pack out toilet paper in zip loc bag (unless it is a remote location with rich soil that is good for decomposition, then you can bury it)

ETA: Please feel free to ask more questions. I have hiked on 63 days in 2021, including several backpacks, and run a website for hiking in our area.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A quick way to learn is to join an outers club or hiking club and go on some group hikes - one of the very few pandemic-safe group activities.  You can learn a lot from other people, and quickly see what will work for you and what won't.

You don't need a lot of special stuff.  Good sturdy footwear, a back pack, a water bottle, first aid kit, rain gear, bug spray, sun protection, an extra layer for warmth just in case.  

Quick dry fabrics are best.  Much of the work-out gear you already have will probably work fine.

Learn to use a map and compass.  The batteries never die on those.

For toileting - I like stand-to-pee devices.  They're not for everyone, though.  Squatting is perfectly fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much !!

We have been going on paved trails a little outside the neighborhood. I don't know if it is called hiking or plain walking ?

We have been using our regular working out clothes. Our shoes are from a running store and are good walking shoes. 

Questions.

1. What is the difference between hiking and walking ? I assume outside the neighborhood. But when does it become hiking vs walking ? 

2. Should we upgrade our shoes if we hike or are plain walking shoes ok ?

3. My biggest concern is DD5. She can walk 2-3 miles without much effort. Then she tires out. Are there any guidelines for a child her age ? 

4. We are not a very outdoor family but workout regularly. So both DH and I are gym fit as in fairly toned but NOT very muscular if that makes sense. We play outdoors with DS.  But we do not take much walks, so I am not sure endurance wise what is required or am I overthinking ?

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 1

I have an ankle injury so my hikes are five miles or less. Usually in the 2 miles range. It is a permanent disability so I am not much help to you except to say trail running shoes are your friend. They have the most amazing level of support and that rock plate really saves the soles of your feet. Trail running shoes are now my everyday shoe as well as my hiking/walking shoe.

I do recommend bear spray which can be used on animals like mountain lions as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Thank you so much !!

We have been going on paved trails a little outside the neighborhood. I don't know if it is called hiking or plain walking ?

We have been using our regular working out clothes. Our shoes are from a running store and are good walking shoes. 

Questions.

1. What is the difference between hiking and walking ? I assume outside the neighborhood. But when does it become hiking vs walking ? 

3. My biggest concern is DD5. She can walk 2-3 miles without much effort. Then she tires out. Are there any guidelines for a child her age ? 

4. We are not a very outdoor family but workout regularly. So both DH and I are gym fit as in fairly toned but NOT very muscular if that makes sense. We play outdoors with DS.  But we do not take much walks, so I am not sure endurance wise what is required or am I overthinking ?

1. Hiking vs walking is in the eye of a beholder. Some people don't consider paved trails hiking. It does not matter what anybody else thinks - you do what is fun for you.

2. Walking shoes are fine as long as the terrain isn't difficult. On most trails in my state, sneakers would be fine. If it gets steep and rugged, ankle support is important; if you hike in wet soil/on wet rock, traction becomes an issue. In that case, invest in some hiking shoes. On a paved trail, that is overkill unless you have foot conditions that make it necessary. (ETA: Because of my feet and the need for orthotics, my Keen hiking shoes are my every day shoes which I wear even for work)

3. There is no general rule when it comes to kids. Mine have hiked since they were able to walk the first steps, and we gradually built stamina and speed. What was a day hike for toddlers takes us adults now half an hour. Mine have been on hikes that would be hard for adults because of exposure and slope.
Take your cues from the kid. I can pm you the link to an article I wrote about hiking with kids for my website (don't want to post here because of privacy)

4. You get hiking endurance by hiking. If you do ok with shorter hikes, you can do longer ones. And so on. You do not need any specific training or particular muscles. I don't "exercise"  - I only hike. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Thank you so much !!

Questions.

4. We are not a very outdoor family but workout regularly. So both DH and I are gym fit as in fairly toned but very muscular if that makes sense. We play outdoors with DS.  But we do not take much walks, so I am not sure endurance wise what is required or am I overthinking ?

For your daughter, I would keep it fun and not push her beyond what she is comfortable doing, or you risk turning hiking into something she no longer wants to do. My son was an only child and I think we were sometimes guilty of this. Not so much because he didn’t have the physical endurance, but because once we got to the 5+ mile range, I think it was just too long for him. We tried to keep it fun and interesting and always went out to eat afterwards, but I think not having another kid or a dog along for the longer hikes just wasn’t enjoyable, especially as he really disliked all of the bugs that were sometimes involved. It was definitely better when we hiked with other families or he took along a friend, but that wasn’t always possible. I still remember one 6 mile hike we took when he was in elementary school. At one point he flopped down in the middle of the trail and exclaimed, “Please, someone rescue me from this scenic nightmare!” 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

42 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Hiking with littles for us was more about enjoying time in nature than about exercise.  We were always stopping to check stuff out and play on interesting terrain (climbing and jumping off boulders, balancing on logs, looking at bugs etc.). Stop to cook lunch.  Stop to swim. Stop to pick berries.  Stop to watch whatever wildlife we saw.  Same experience as @regentrude that what was a full day experience then might take adults only half an hour to walk straight through.

ETA.  We once stopped for 2 hours to race acorns down an interesting rocky slope.  The kids were really into it.  I've learned to pack a book.......

Edited by wathe
  • Like 9

I had been an avid hiker years ago, fell out of practice, and recently re-discovered it.  

My advice: Find a guidebook for your area - from the library is great if possible and pick out some likely hikes. Start with short hikes in interesting areas to build enthusiasm for your daughter. 2 -3 miles is fine! Of course check elevation gain (I don't know if you are in a mountainous area or not.)  If it is fun, you can build up. Have your kids choose destinations too.

The All Trails app is also helpful for finding nearby places to hike. There are trail descriptions, reviews, commentary such as "lightly traveled" or "heavily traveled" which is helpful to me when deciding if I will go alone or not. 

Hiking vs walking. My daughter has a complicated system on which she determines if something is a walk or hike. If I invite her along, she will ask what category I'm planning and how long it will be, before she decides if she will join me or not. Really it depends on your own definitions. To me a hike is on a natural-surface trail. 

Buy good shoes but keep in mind that good does not necessarily equal most expensive. A good fit and ankle support is important for hiking on uneven surfaces.  I have had great success with a pair of very cheap hiking sneakers I bought at Sam's Club. Recommendations are great but honestly some shoes that have been highly recommended to me have been failures. (I also have arch issues so my shoes  need to work for that.)

Trekking poles - I bought a set from Cascade Mountain Tech; they were very inexpensive. For the hiking I do, they are great and I'm happy with them. I may upgrade at some point but so far they have been great at keeping me steady (I am a naturally clumsy person). I don't do the hardest of hikes, though.

Alone or with people - this depends. When I go to our wonderful urban park I often go alone. I will turn back if a trail gets too difficult and I feel insecure in the terrain, with a plan to return with a partner. But I am old and wobbly. I feel comfortable in our nearby state parks as well. 

I carry water, bug spray, and tissue, and a ziplock bag for used tissues. Also always have my phone. Sometimes I take a notebook. Unless I know I'm taking a very short hike, I will throw some kind of snack into my bag. Oh, regarding safety... I don't leave my driver's license or credit cards in my car. They are left at home or on my person. I don't feel unsafe from people on the trails, but I do know that car break-ins are not uncommon in my area. 

Hope something in here is helpful to you, and I hope you will update as you do some hiking!

"We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking." (attributed to Finis Mitchell, American mountaineer)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DreamerGirl said:

I was a very gym oriented person. I worked out/swam regularly and early in the morning.

I have weather issues, not too hot or cold just right and the gym was that. Then COVID and I have been getting out in "nature" aka taking a walk in the neighborhood. I have somewhat conquered my weather issues with good gear and a good attitude

So this year I want  to go on solo hikes even 100 miles as part of a 500 mile outdoor goal. 

Gear ?

Bugs ?

Bathroom ?

I have no clue what to do or where to start and tend to overthink and go around in circles. Please help. TY

Good gear for the weather is key.  I have hiked in temps near 100 and in temps below zero (ok that was snowshoeing).   I find that Sierra Trading Post has decent stuff but honestly, Goodwill and Walmart are my first Go To places for clothes.  Quick dry stuff and leggings with pockets or hiking pants work well.  I do find when carrying a pack with shoulder straps that I need to wear a shirt with a collar to avoid the straps rubbing on my neck.

I wear Brooks Cascadia trail runners and Oboz Sawtooth hiking shoes....but as other have said, FIT for YOUR feet is key.  Often a well fitting pair of tennis shoes will work just fine.  For trekking poles I just got some cheaper ones off Amazon and they are fine.  I prefer the ones that collapse in 2 places as they pack down smaller when I am carrying them on my pack.  Often I dont even use them.  They are wonderful for hills, especially DOWNHILL or support when carrying a pack but you likely won't need them for flatter dirt trails.

I have a Mountainsmith Day Pack that I added shoulder straps to.  I got it brand new for $4 at a thrift store. That is great for day hikes.  Holds several bottles of water, a rain coat, snacks, phone, maps, guidebooks, etc.   For bigger trips or when I am carrying more gear for all of my people who don't want to carry their own stuff (and for backpacking) I have an Osprey Renn  but that is likely overkill unless you are planning overnights.

Hydration--for day hikes I take along a few water bottles and some packets of powdered Gatorade or other electrolytes if it will be hot.  My pack has a hydration bladder, but again, overkill for most day hikes.  I like the Sawyer Squeeze to filter water.  Works quickly and is easy to use (above freezing temps).

I do have a mosquito net jacket now (was a gift) and I do have a hat with a head net for tiny bugs.  For general day hiking though I just use some Deep Woods off and call it good.

Others have covered the bathroom.  I mostly squat but I do have  Pstyle but struggle with using it.  Need to practice more or buy a different style.  I have a shovel and extra plastic bags for trash.

Some good things with kids are to buy some local nature books.  We have Birds of Michigan, Flowers of Michigan, Mammals of Michigan, Insects of Michigan, Trees of Michigan, etc.  Geocahing can be fun as well for kids.

SNACKS are a HUGE thing.  Bring along some fun snacks and more than you might think you need.  Snacks keep kids happy.

I am doing www.1000hoursoutside.com and using the trackers for 1000 hours and 1000 miles (my own idea) and they have a 100 hours tracker too.

I would suggest seeing if there are local FB groups for hiking in your area.  You can learn a great deal about local trails, any wildlife concerns and maybe even meet up for some group hikes with other adults or other families.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, wathe said:

Hiking with littles for us was more about enjoying time in nature than about exercise.  We were always stopping to check stuff out and play on interesting terrain (climbing and jumping off boulders, balancing on logs, looking at bugs etc.). Stop to cook lunch.  Stop to swim. Stop to pick berries.  Stop to watch whatever wildlife we saw.  Same experience as @regentrude that what was a full day experience then might take adults only half an hour to walk straight through.

ETA.  We once stopped for 2 hours to race acorns down an interesting rocky slope.  The kids were really into it.  I've learned to pack a book.......

This is exactly what I did with my 4 dc when they were little - with hiking, snowshowing and cross-country skiing. We would often hike to a destination; a frog pond was a favourite for years. We'd bring snacks, pads for sketching or tree bark rubbings, and jars for holding treasures found in nature. The dc would enjoy playing the woods around the pond, scurrying up and down the sloaps around the pond, learning to balance on the rocks and navigate stream crossings. It wasn't a 'hike' but rather an experience 'playing' in nature. 

For your solo hikes, you'll probably be after a slightly different experience, though picking out ways to enjoy the journey during the hike is still fun and can really enhance your experience.

- My hiking friends and I always bring birdseed on our hikes to hand-feed the chikadees on our weekly hikes in the local woods.

-  I'll also use my cell phone to take photos along the route. There's always something fascinating to capture with a photo. Or you could do sketches.

- You may be interested in collecting rocks, leaves, fir cones or other items from nature to bring home to display.

- Bring binoculars and try to find and identify birds or other wildlife.

Being out in nature isn't just about clocking miles and hours, it's about experiencing the beautiful sights, sounds, smells, etc. It's way more varied and interesting than a gym.

• Like 6

I say I enjoying hiking--DD says I am only walking.  She does not consider it hiking unless it is steep (to me) uphill and downhill and at least part not paved.  So, my suggestion is that you know something about what it is you are looking for when you say "hiking".  Do you want a paved trail?  How steep?  Do cliffs/dropoffs bother you? 

I have found I need some type of hiking shoes with quite a bit of traction.  Most walking shoes are too smooth/slick on the bottom for me, but I tend to slip easily.  I have found that the most important thing is shoes that are comfortable to you.  Also, good socks are a must.  

• Like 1

I walked and hiked probably over a 1000 miles last year.  I call myself an urban hiker.  Sometimes I am on very urban trails.  Sometimes I am bush whacking down on the river bottoms.  We live urban but in a metro with a really rich urban and regional park system.  At the beginning of covid I knew I needed to do something, so I just walked out my front door almost every day those first months (I do have both urban and forested dirt trails accessible from my home) and really started getting more creative with it this year.  I do utilize our state (and some national) park systems too.   I did hike, camp, canoe a lot when I was younger including some week long adventures, etc.  

I use heavy duty running shoes most of the time.  They just work best for my back and forth between trail types.  I do walk on snow/ice and I spent $200 on studded boots (ice bugs).  Seriously, best thing ever if you are serious about getting out in the winter and have those kind of conditions.  I love smart wool hiking socks, they are amazing and warm.  I bought an obnoxiously long and bulky parka I walk in the winter so I don't have layer up so much underneath.

Anyway, on my journey, I just add gear as needed.  I've found that for me if I over think it sometimes that makes me less likely to get out the door and go.  My husband is kind of the opposite, so everyone is different.  When I am going long enough to need water, I carry a cross body bag that is just designed to hold a water bottle usually.  I actually try not to carry much for my less than 3 hour adventures.   I have a could little waist bags and a small pack I use.  

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is for longer adventures, you may want to carry a phone charging block.  My husband and I now play this outdoor gps based game which sucks up our phone too (availability for this particular game is based on location, it is huge in northern Europe) and I like to take lots of photos.  But otherwise I think you have gotten great recommendations.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is for longer adventures, you may want to carry a phone charging block.  My husband and I now play this outdoor gps based game which sucks up our phone too (availability for this particular game is based on location, it is huge in northern Europe) and I like to take lots of photos.  But otherwise I think you have gotten great recommendations.  

Definitely take one for overnight hiking. But I found it unnecessary on day hikes. 
I leave GPS on for navigation, but switch my phone into airplane mode so it doesn't waste power trying to connect unsuccessfully to the non-existing phone network. At the end of a full day of hiking, taking tons of pictures and using the mapping app, I still have over 80% battery left. 
Surprised that your GPS game drains the battery this much?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

REI is a great place to get info and lean about gear, but it’s pricey to buy there. I have had good help choosing trails and making planning choices from the folks there. But experience has been the best teacher!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

REI is a great place to get info and lean about gear, but it’s pricey to buy there. I have had good help choosing trails and making planning choices from the folks there. But experience has been the best teacher!

REI's website is where I go to drool, and then I start looking for sales and clearance elsewhere plus used on ebay, goodwill.com, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loesje22000 said:

Do you know geocaching? It is like going on treasure hunting while hiking and several people with children seem to like it.

Our child preferred color coded trails (today we walk the red / blue /… trail) above ‘just’ walking. Finding trailmarkers is sometimes a sport in it self.. Where I live there are also short trails like 1,5 km

When child became a teenager and became in a ‘ I don’t like walking’ stage, I handed her the local trailguide / website and let her pick the hike and guide us. Somehow that made a difference in motivation. 

I am still in the ‘daytrip’ length of hikes, but hope to realize more-then-one-day walks within a few years.

For ‘solo’hikes I pick a train or bus to a destination and walk back home from that point. And I send my planned route and cellphone number to friend with an estimated time I really should back home. So far I am still a little afraid to solo hike and made some safety nets.

I enrolled to a 1000km / year challenge to improve my walk-capabilities 

The kids loved being "in charge" of navigation when they were little.  Which  meant finding the next blaze, and the next, and the next and so on. 

As they got older, they learned to use map and compass.  We made a point of looking at the map at every stop, finding where we were on the map, where we were going, features on the map that we might notice on the way, orient the map with a compass etc.  Now at 12 and 13, they are competent and really can truly be in charge of navigation.   It was a lovely, natural progression.

• Like 3

I am still reading all and taking it in and a lot to process. It describes a way of life that sounds wonderful especially for children.

I shall sit with DH, make a list and  come up with things we want to do as a family. I have a lot of hang ups and phobias about weather, insects, bathrooms so I want to work through them and not pass them on.

I shall respond individually but wanted to take the time to say thank you all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wathe said:

A quick way to learn is to join an outers club or hiking club and go on some group hikes - one of the very few pandemic-safe group activities.  You can learn a lot from other people, and quickly see what will work for you and what won't.

You don't need a lot of special stuff.  Good sturdy footwear, a back pack, a water bottle, first aid kit, rain gear, bug spray, sun protection, an extra layer for warmth just in case.  

Quick dry fabrics are best.  Much of the work-out gear you already have will probably work fine.

Learn to use a map and compass.  The batteries never die on those.

The only thing I know about a compass is, it always points North. Will definitely learn that.

3 hours ago, wathe said:

For toileting - I like stand-to-pee devices.  They're not for everyone, though.  Squatting is perfectly fine.

Thank for this. Stand and pee is good. I am not a big fan of squatting especially in unknown terrain. 

4 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Thank for this. Stand and pee is good. I am not a big fan of squatting especially in unknown terrain. 

There's a learning curve.  Practice in the shower and don't be discouraged.  It takes a while to get the knack of it.  

I like the Shewee Extreme.  It's one of few options available locally for me. Backerpacker.com article all about STP's, with reviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frances said:

For your daughter, I would keep it fun and not push her beyond what she is comfortable doing, or you risk turning hiking into something she no longer wants to do. My son was an only child and I think we were sometimes guilty of this. Not so much because he didn’t have the physical endurance, but because once we got to the 5+ mile range, I think it was just too long for him. We tried to keep it fun and interesting and always went out to eat afterwards, but I think not having another kid or a dog along for the longer hikes just wasn’t enjoyable, especially as he really disliked all of the bugs that were sometimes involved. It was definitely better when we hiked with other families or he took along a friend, but that wasn’t always possible. I still remember one 6 mile hike we took when he was in elementary school. At one point he flopped down in the middle of the trail and exclaimed, “Please, someone rescue me from this scenic nightmare!” 

I was making a list and reading this thread out to DH when I first saw this and we both laughed. DD also would dramatically let her displeasure be known so point taken. The mental image of this is still making me laugh. 

Did your son grow up to like hiking ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Definitely take one for overnight hiking. But I found it unnecessary on day hikes. 
I leave GPS on for navigation, but switch my phone into airplane mode so it doesn't waste power trying to connect unsuccessfully to the non-existing phone network. At the end of a full day of hiking, taking tons of pictures and using the mapping app, I still have over 80% battery left. 
Surprised that your GPS game drains the battery this much?

Oh well, I am getting a new phone too within the next couple weeks, this one really is on it's last legs.  But I'm usually in network so I do text with my family, occasionally open a different app, and I can be over the top with the photo taking lol.   I really hope my new phone holds up much better but some of the bikers that play this game and do long rides talk about taking charging blocks with them too.  I also really like google timeline for rough record keeping (I have no desire to wear a smart watch), so that is running gps stuff too?  I guess we will see how the new one holds up for battery life.  I do like having the block, I pack it for long outings for a variety of things not just walking/hiking.  

3 hours ago, wathe said:

I think my BP is raised quite a bit and my pulse is racing at the mental image of kids jumping off boulders, looking at bugs  and swimming with potential creatures in the water. I am very much a chlorinated pool person.

You sound like a super awesome parent and I love how you pack a book. I will probably be packed off to the ER 😊

I shall stick to paved paths for now. For my own safety. 😄

• Like 5

Hiking with my kids is one of my favorite activities. We go just about every week. Since you asked, I consider it hiking when we are out in  nature. We just call it “going for a walk” when we are in the neighborhood or on the paved path at park. There’s a whole lot of people that go for long walks in cities and call it urban hiking and that can be a lot of fun. 

If you aren’t outdoorsy, don’t put pressure on yourself, do what you are comfortable doing. Most popular trails under 3 miles are going to be fine for your child. There’s a whole lot of longer trails she may enjoy as well, but you know the limits for your family. I suggest just picking a local trail that you have heard of and go in the next couple weeks.  Wear appropriate clothes for the weather, take some snacks, and have fun. 

If you are scared to go with just your family, see if there is a local hiking group or Facebook page to connect you with other people.

You can use the bathroom ahead of time and most athletic shoes will work just fine as long as the trail isn’t muddy, snowy, or especially rocky. People always use to wear heavy duty hiking boots but lots of backpackers now wear trail runners (running shoes with a grippier sole). Bugs and other fears can be dealt with.  As you get more experienced you can upgrade gear if you want. Hiking poles are awesome, but not required.

Hiking out west in the mountains is going to look a lot different than in the Midwest. Familiarize yourself with the risks in your area whether it’s certain wildlife or pop-up storms. In all likelihood nothing major is going to happen, but it’s good to be aware. In my area on most trails my biggest concern would be lack of a cell signal if I get hurt. I’ve coached my kids in what to do if that happens  

An app like AllTrails will give you an overview of particular trails, read a few recent reviews.  I still like a paper map and a local guidebook.

As far as hiking with kids, it can be challenging, but also a lot of fun. At first my kids and I hiked all the local trails considered kid friendly. I use to stop at our dollar store on the way out of town to let the kids pick out a hiking treat. If they didn’t complain, they got it when we were halfway done or had reached a good spot for a break. Yes, I bribed my kids! We would do nature bingo, or see who could find the most birds, or sometimes take a notebook to draw when we took a break. Especially when my kids were younger I tried to pick trails that had a creek they could wade in, a waterfall, a cool arch, just something that felt like a destination. I think 2-3 miles is a good length of hike to start with for your child and then start going a little farther. A 5 year old completed the entire Appalachian Trail this year. Young kids are definitely capable of doing a lot, but not all would want to do that.

My kids are now 14, 12, and 9 and I think nothing of going on a 10 mile hike with them, but it didn’t start that way. We built that up over many, many years. Not all hikes were great but overall we have enjoyed them. 

There is a book by a homeschooling mom Greta Eskridge, “Adventuring Together”, that may be helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was making a list and reading this thread out to DH when I first saw this and we both laughed. DD also would dramatically let her displeasure be known so point taken. The mental image of this is still making me laugh. 

Did your son grow up to like hiking ?

My husband and I still chuckle about it today. He was looking up at the sky when he said it, so I believe hoping a helicopter would come rescue him.

No, he doesn’t really like hiking, although we can get him to go on short hikes with us. Outdoors he prefers skiing, snowmobiling, motorcycle riding, and scuba diving, especially cave diving.

• Like 1

I am supposed to be replying to everyone, but I keep reading words I do not know the meaning of, googling and going 😱.

For instance bush whacking which @FuzzyCatz refers to and google helpfully informs me is

"To force one's way through a forested or overgrown area where no path exists" which is *gulp* but I can visualize a bit overgrown areas because no one is exactly mowing the forest  but what the heck does 

"To fight as a guerrilla in the woods" which is another meaning exactly mean ? Not exactly gives me the warmth and fuzzies

So this is hyperbole right ? You are not fighting your way through massive growth just to hike ??

5 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

Gear ?

Bugs ?

Bathroom ?

My very best advice is to travel somewhere where the weather is amenable and hiking trails are nice and established. Not helpful, I know.

When we lived in Texas, hiking just wasn’t fun 9 months of the year. It was hot, generally dusty (except when strong thunderstorms turned things muddy) and trails just didn’t reward generally with beautiful scenic views to the same degree. People were also rude on the trails at times. There just isn’t the same established hiking culture, even within the state and national parks. 

I am sharing this because even if you don’t love hiking in Texas, it doesn’t mean that hiking can’t be a lovely activity.

On a practical note, Columbia UV rated hiking pants and long sleeved tops help. A big wide brimmed hat is essential. Be sure to carry adequate water and watch the weather. We did mostly early morning hikes because the heat and humidity climbed as the day went on. 

• Thanks 1

You don't HAVE to plan it to death.  Look up your closest park and take a walk on their shortest path.  Shopping for gear, and making schedules, and trying to plan for every possible scenario are indoor activities.  You want to be outside and moving, so just go outside and take a walk.  The next day, take a little bit longer walk.  While you're out there moving you're going to learn what YOU need . . . how your shoes feel, if you want to carry a pole, how you prefer to carry your water and how much, how close you want to be to a bathroom, etc.  Until you're hiking the rest is just theoretical.  Yes, take water and a charged phone and make sure someone knows where you are, but you don't need to map out a plan to do the Appalachian trail in a year.  Just GO.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

I am supposed to be replying to everyone, but I keep reading words I do not know the meaning of, googling and going 😱.

For instance bush whacking which @FuzzyCatz refers to and google helpfully informs me is

"To force one's way through a forested or overgrown area where no path exists" which is *gulp* but I can visualize a bit overgrown areas because no one is exactly mowing the forest  but what the heck does 

"To fight as a guerrilla in the woods" which is another meaning exactly mean ? Not exactly gives me the warmth and fuzzies

So this is hyperbole right ? You are not fighting your way through massive growth just to hike ??

that depends entirely on the area and season. If you were bushwhacking in my state in the summer, you'd literally fight your way through briars and brambles and tall undergrowth and poison ivy. And be covered with thousands of ticks in the process. But if you go to the same place in winter, it's just off-trail walking 🙂 
When you "bushwhack" while hiking, it mostly means you walk where there is no trail. Relax. You're not going to do that just yet. Just buy a guidebook and hit an established trail.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, regentrude said:

that depends entirely on the area and season. If you were bushwhacking in my state in the summer, you'd literally fight your way through briars and brambles and tall undergrowth and poison ivy. If you go to the same place in winter, it's just off-trail walking. 
When you "bushwhack" while hiking, it mostly means you walk where there is no trail. Relax. You're not going to do that just yet.

I am definitely overthinking this..
I don't think I have encountered poison ivy or even know to identify it

That in a nutshell shows you where I am in my knowledge level. Lots to read and learn.

So it is a bit overwhelming to read.

But I think I have made a plan.

1. Download the all trails app.

2. Look at the gear we have specifically shoes

3. Look for paved trails 

4. Start walking 

Learning skills 

1. Identify poisonous plants. 

2. Learn to read a map. 

3. Learn to Use a compass.

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

I don't think I have encountered poison ivy or even know to identify it

Learning skills 1. Identify poisonous plants. 

OK, so poison ivy isn't actually a poisonous plant - it is covered with an oil that causes an allergic reaction in 50% of people who touch it. Skin rash, rather unpleasant, but not dangerous (unless you burn the sticks and inhale the smoke, that's bad)
So I suggest that, before you go on any trail, you may want to know what that looks like. Google is your friend. once you know how to recognize it, it's really easy.
The stuff is ubiquitous in my state. However, in 20 years of hiking I have only twice gotten poison ivy. So, you can avoid it and it is nothing to be afraid of. Just a case of know thine enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My suggestion, in addition to all the good ones so far, is to see whether there is a local nature preserve or state or national park with guided outdoor walks that are fairly short, and start with those.  That way you get familiarized with the major plants and animals in the area, and warned about any safety issues and how to spot/avoid them.  Then you can carry that knowledge into your own explorations.

Around here, for instance, there is poison oak, ticks, rattlesnakes, and mountain lions.  Those are the only live dangers.  So I don’t touch any plant material (avoids both poison oak and tick exposure), never step anywhere without looking first (ie, no stepping OVER rocks.  Rather, up ONTO the rock, look, and then step down—to avoid rattlesnakes), and never crouch or run or especially run screaming at dusk or night (mountain lions.  You want to look big, and not scared.). I literally don’t worry about these things; I’ve formed these habits and they are easy to stick with, and I feel safe pretty much.  I have seen rattlesnakes but never been bitten or even struck at, and I have seen poison oak but never caught it.  I’ve never seen a mountain lion, but I am sure that they have seen me!

The fact that I know of all the possible dangers and what to do to prevent them means that I have confidence that I’m going to be reasonably safe.  I stick to trails that are well travelled but uncrowded, particularly if I’m hiking alone, and when I do hike alone I tell someone where I am and how long I should be gone, and call them back when I return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

But REI is great for buying shoes, etc., especially if you are hard to fit, etc. as you can wear them for weeks on the trails and if they don't work, bring them back for a refund and try another style/brand.  They are also very good at helping you fit a backpack if you get to the point where you need a pack fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You have some great ideas.  Also check with your local city/township/county parks if they have planned nature walks/hikes, nature programs for kids, etc.  You can learn a great deal that way.  One year I took my kids to all 38 county parks and open spaces (land free to roam with no established trail system).  We loved it and it was close to home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

@regentrude Will definitely look up poison ivy to identify.

DH and I spent the last half hour downloading and installing the Alltrails app.

It has top trails, kid friendly trails, paved and partially paved trails. 

We will be choosing a few and making a list.

Thank you so much for sharing. 

It is a bit overwhelming but we both will be reading at leisure.

Will definitely keep referring to this thread and will document our adventures. In fact the only thing I did by myself is order a hiking journal on amazon before this.

• Like 2

Maybe look to see if you can find some old Boy Scout merit badge books for hiking and orienteering (using a compass). Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy of the BSA, the information provided by their materials is priceless. Since it is geared toward helping young people learn skills and earn merit badges, most of the information is easy to read and highly informative. You also might want to contact a local Troop and see if there are any scouts willing to teach you the compass. Scouts are always looking for service projects and teaching opportunities.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

I was actually bush whacking today!  And, although it's a bit disconcerting, it is an incredibly rewarding experience to get to where you intended to go without the benefit of an actual path through the woods.  Mind you, I had my phone so I could see where I was on GoogleMaps and I was no more than a couple miles from home, but it still felt good.  And, I had sent my dh a screenshot of the map that showed where I was and what my plan was, just in case I did get lost (he was actually still asleep when I returned home from my adventure, though 🤣)  

Let your kids help to choose a trail and get their buy-in.  On the trail, you'll realize you forgot something, but just remember it for next time.  Let your kids lead and set the pace.   You don't need anything fancy to start out; you'll figure it out as you go along.  Involve your kids in the planning and once you're done, ask them how to make it better.  Did they get thirsty or hungry?  Did their feet hurt?  Were there bugs?  Was it too long/short/easy/hard?   Being in the out of doors is incredibly therapeutic.  Enjoy it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Maybe look to see if you can find some old Boy Scout merit badge books for hiking and orienteering (using a compass). Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy of the BSA, the information provided by their materials is priceless. Since it is geared toward helping young people learn skills and earn merit badges, most of the information is easy to read and highly informative. You also might want to contact a local Troop and see if there are any scouts willing to teach you the compass. Scouts are always looking for service projects and teaching opportunities.

I don't know much about the scouts to agree or disagree with their philosophy 😳. But as I was poking around in amazon I came across several Boy Scouts guides. I will look into that. Thanks

Good socks are a must. We wear wool socks year round. You might still be able to get a multi pack at Costco (they are a winter seasonal item). Do you have any county parks or nature preserves locally? They may offer guided hikes or nature identifying classes. One of our local outfitters also offer free classes from time to time to get information out to the people. We went to one on planning a trip to a nearby national park, for example, that had a lot of good info.

We have a book called "60 hikes within 60 miles of __{mycity}__" you might find a similar one. 

I completely agree, the best thing to do is to just get out there and hike. We got our kiddos invested early by buying them their own backpacks. They carried their own water and snacks and each usually picked up their own copy of the park map when paper copies were available. They each would get a park patch or pin and they collected them from about 1/3 of the state parks we have so far. We have found lately that we have revisited some favorites vs going to additional parks. 

Just to give you an idea of how far it can go...my kids hiked to the bottom of the grand canyon at 10 and 11. They have hiked in Glacier National Park and snow shoed out to a cabin in the middle of one of our state parks. They have also taken up backpacking with us and we've been some amazing places! I wish you well on your new adventure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL, so my husband and I just refer to bush whacking as hiking off trail.  It's usually not super crazy.  I thought of it because not long ago before the snow was flying I was walking our urban river bottoms which do have some well worn dirt trails and we were trying to figure out how to get under bridges without climbing back up the river bluffs.  I am usually only bush whacking when I want to see something (like a hike down a creek) or I think it's less effort to get from point A to point B.  But of course none of that is mandatory when you are out on your adventures.

The most helpful thing for me when I was starting and trying to establish a habit is  "am I outdoors, am I enjoying this, am I moving?"  All of that is a win and positive.  You don't have to think of hikes being less or more.  Just what you can do on a given day.  

I also have listened to a zillion audio books and podcasts walking this past year but I have older kids that we don't drag along too much.  I have seen kids burn out and get bitter if they are pushed too hard on this stuff.  

ETA - I actually like bush whacking in the winter now with these studded boots, it's pretty fun!  When I have those on, I try to avoid direct concrete/tar.  I was out today at about 0 degrees.  🙂  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Thanks 1

A comment about bushwhacking...be sure you know where it's OK and where it's not. (I assume the people talking about it know and exercise park/trail etiquette - I'm not chastising anyone.) Our big urban park admin regularly posts on social media and via signs on the park reminding people to stay on the trail.🙂

• Like 3