Menu

What are your plans for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day?

mommyoffive

NYE - Tonight dh and I will have sandwiches for dinner. I bought deli meat and cheese plus bakery bread today. We'll probably watch Matrix Resurrection on HBO while snacking and having some wine (not sparkling - neither of us likes champagne). We'll probably be awake at midnight so we'll turn on the tv and watch the ball drop in Times Square. Very low key night.

Ds 24 is staying over at a friend's. When he was a teen one of the homeschool families used to host a big, safe, overnight NYE party for teens. Parents were welcome to stay but not required to. Ds has remained friends with their son and and now that the kids are all adults there's a small group of them who still gather at that house for NYE. The parents are still happy to have them (it's a very small group of close friends now) and it's nice that they can enjoy the night but no one drives home.

NYD - I'll make hoppin' john, the traditional southern blackeyed peas dish. It's dh's family tradition not mine but I make his mother's recipe. My family didn't have a New Year's Day tradition so I don't mind doing his. I start it late morning and once it's done everyone eats whenever they feel like it. Ds will be home some time in the afternoon and will probably eat some then too. Later in the day I'll slowly start putting some Christmas decorations away. Sunday dh and ds will get the outdoor stuff down and some time this week when it's all put away, they'll put everything in the attic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

We saw the eagle! We missed it by minutes at the first place we tried by the fish coop, but got lucky at the nearby state park. There were, as expected, a good number of birders out; everyone was excited and generous allowing us to look through the viewfinders of their impressively large camera lenses. The lost sea eagle was at one point chased by two bald eagles, and then hung out on a distant island. Too far for me to get a photo, but it was a thrilling experience, and neat to share it with so many others. 

C35C8915-185B-42B4-B7BB-0CDDF3C2CEE1.jpeg

E39C3B05-FD59-4232-9F47-4841BE8B2F0A.jpeg

78A4D5F8-00D0-4022-AC0C-284D21FFB9FC.jpeg

1711C732-9160-41B6-A308-BD2C5DC42350.jpeg

Oh beautiful! Where is this?

• Like 1

I can tell you what was not in my plan… the oven element going out in a super dramatic way just as I was putting dinner in the oven, so I’m done the road at my in laws (who are gone to sister in laws) cooking the food! I have never had an element go out like, are they always that dramatic? It made this loud buzzing sound so I thought it was electricity buzzing through it and scared me to death.

• Sad 5

THE EAGLE

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

We saw the eagle! We missed it by minutes at the first place we tried by the fish coop, but got lucky at the nearby state park. There were, as expected, a good number of birders out; everyone was excited and generous allowing us to look through the viewfinders of their impressively large camera lenses. The lost sea eagle was at one point chased by two bald eagles, and then hung out on a distant island. Too far for me to get a photo, but it was a thrilling experience, and neat to share it with so many others. 

OMG that is the.coolest.ever.

That is *definitely* a good-tidings omen.

Earlier today my husband found an absolutely lovely 3 mile hike *minutes from the house we've lived in for 21 years* that we'd never gone on. So that was wondrous.

Just finishing up a leisurely, if rather odd, dinner of cheese fondue (my idea) and arepas (my youngest's) and challah (it's Friday). Carb on carb on carb!!  After son finishes cleanup we're doing a Rummikub tournament and will then turn on the NYC ball drop.

Happy New Year, dear board friends.  The light will return.

• Like 3

I'm staying up until midnight, but Dh is not. He thinks the New Year can come without his help.

Tomorrow, I will probably start taking down the decorations. I would like to have them all put away by Monday when I go back to school.

Last night I heard dh talking to his mother about us coming for a small NYD family gathering at her house. This morning I asked him about it and were they willing to do a fast test. I mean, I just went through this with my family one week ago. He called his mother while I searched stores for in stock covid tests, but found none. An hour or so later, they cancelled the gathering. I feel bad that they cancelled because of me, but I can't help it. I hate this virus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So far NYE

Some errands

started to take down Christmas decorations

Dh took the kids sledding again in the state forest.  

And now they are watching Star Wars.  We won't have them stay up till midnight. 

NYD 

Mostly just the same thing we have been doing since Christmas day.  Chilling at home.  Movies, naps, Legos.   Maybe set some goals for 2022.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

We're watching The Fellowship of the Ring. This is DS10's first time to see it. He read the trilogy this summer, so this is a big milestone. 

We probably won't make it to midnight...we're tired. 

I'm making chicken and biscuits for breakfast tomorrow, along with a new black-eyed pea cold salad. I just ground up a gorgeous spice blend and simmered pomegranate juice into a thick syrup for part of the dressing. It should be really good! 

• Like 1

NYE

Lifted weights at the gym followed by tapas at our favorite tapas joint.

NYD

Packing for a trip, shoveling snow, and getting ready to help the youngest move to a new apartment.

I should take down the Christmas tree but the lights are just too pretty. Might wait until March. 😊

14 hours ago, MEmama said:

OMG we have been following this, hoping it will come down here!  Congrats!!  PMing you now.  Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Plans for today: Thanksgiving dinner with the family including oldest and ddil.  Their Thanksgiving was spent in the ER with an ectopic loss plus a herniated disc flare up so hoping to make it special.  Does seeing pics of @MEmama's Sea Eagle spotting count for my first bird-of-the-year spotting??  

Edited by Eos
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eos said:

Plans for today: Thanksgiving dinner with the family including oldest and ddil.  Their Thanksgiving was spent in the ER with an ectopic loss plus a herniated disc flare up so hoping to make it special.  Does seeing pics of @MEmama's Sea Eagle spotting count for my first bird-of-the-year spotting??  

I’m so sorry for their loss. 😞 

• Thanks 1

NYE: went to work, got the new testing and isolation advice, played computer games for a couple of hours, ate turkey and leek pie, attended a virtual party with some friends (these ones live in several different countries, so it was always going to be virtual), went to the top of the hill with the family carrying a mug of elderflower pressé for midnight. The surrounding houses had been letting off quite a few fireworks at 9:30 pm and just after 11 pm, so we didn't have much hope of a decent firework display. However, we all agreed that the midnight display was the best display we'd seen since at least 2018 (people seem to buy and use more fireworks when they think the future looks brighter than it has for a while). The local radio station had not received this optimistic memo, and appeared to think the perfect song to ring in the New Year was "Nothing Compares 2 U".

NYD: had a lie-in, played computer games, ate more turkey and leek pie (this time with stuffing and spinach), generally relaxing.

• Like 1

I ended up lasting till Midnight as one of my adult kids at home really misses our tradition of watching movies till midnight and beyond. We are all recovering from Covid but I am in the best shape (thanks I think to my booster) of all, so I stayed up with him.  I wish I had thought to have a little something to toast with at midnight. As it was, we watched the ball drop in Times Square while agreeing that we would hate to be there in person. Right before midnight my daughter got out of bed and joined us. We stepped outside for a moment as someone down the street was setting off major fireworks, then got cold and went to bed.

I made a special pastry for breakfast and we had a leisurely morning. It is gloomy and raining hard; too bad because I like to have a nice hike on NYD. 

Hoping to do some mild organizing/puttering for the rest of the day, make what I am pretty sure is a very inauthentic recipe for Hoppin John, and do some reading. 

• Like 1

Today: I always clean out my underwear drawer on New Year’s Day. My underclothes have typically been a disgrace. I’m very bad at spending money on myself even for essential things like undergarments. I started addressing this a few years ago and I do it each new year. I toss out worn, stained, ill fitting and uncomfortable things, and put in an order for new ones if needed. This year, on Black Friday I bought new bras (great sales at JCPenney) and so I don’t have to order those. 

also I’m starting a month long declutter I saw on Instagram. Each day I will address a new area. Even if I can’t get the place “done” small progress is still progress. 

today was kitchen cabinets. I’ve already gotten the two worst offenders but I’m hoping I can do more later in the day.

I also spent some time journaling and reading my Bible this morning. Also starting a fast today.B44941A1-0133-4F63-A534-04544EBC5221.thumb.png.62a84d6d5a032c912c3401b73ad239de.png

• Like 2