Menu

Covid/ college dd

TexasProud

Ok, trying to think through this, especially since my husband will not be in country the first couple of months of the year.  Our daughter will be leaving for a college that is 15 hours away, longer really if you have any kind of stops at all.  Although her university is requiring testing of every single college student, I have no illusions that it will stop the spread of omicron. I just think it will run through.  She is only double vaxxed and will just be 6 months past her 2nd dose about the time she goes back. Their university often has vaccine clinics, so she plans to get it when she is there. 

However, chances are, especially being a music major, she is going to get it. They are rehearsing for a musical to be performed in February. So... when she gets it, what do I need to do? Unlike 2020, this year there is not campus quarantining complex. You have to leave. Of course, when they put that in play last summer, it was supposed to encourage kids to get vaccinated since typically, vaccinated kids didn't get it.  So, I guess I would leave as soon as she called to drive there. I know several air bnb's that we have used. Would I just immediately reserve it for a week, 10 days? 14 days? If I reserved it, then she could go ahead and check in before I got there? 

Or does she just drive home ( providing of course that she feels ok, is asymptomatic...the university is doing tons of testing of both unvaccinated and vaccinated kids this semester, so very possible she could be asymptomatic.)? Or do I drive up there and bring her home. ( Not sure where she waits till I get there.)

If it does turn bad, I would rather be here with people I know and could help than to be there where I know no one. 

Help me think through this.

• Like 1

When DS thought he might be covid positive he just quarantined in his room. Is that not an option for her?

If not, I think it’s good that you have a few different plans depending on the circumstances. I don’t think you can plan definitively until/ unless she is in that position, though. A lot will depend on how sick she actually is, or if she remains asymptomatic. It sounds like you've already considered some good options.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

I would first check with the college what they suggest for students who cannot travel home because it's too far. I suspect they have options for quarantine/isolation, just don't advertise them. Students who need to fly cannot leave.

Good idea. I will check with them when they reopen in a couple of weeks. Most of the students that go to this university live within 3 hours. It often clears out on weekends, especially long ones...unless they are in theatre or sports and are rehearsing/practicing. 

• Like 2

Universities are having to adjust and change plans to an ever-changing situation.  There were policies my university put in place in an attempt to encourage vaccination, but those policies have had to change and evolve as the COVID situaiton has changed.  I would not expect the past policies to be the ones that are necessarily in place if she should get COVID. 

• Like 4

Do they require vaxxed students to leave in every case? My dd’s school sent students home if they tested positive or if they were exposed with no vax.  With the new CDC guidelines, even if she tests positive, she only has to isolate for 5 days if there are no symptoms (plus 5 days masking after).  I think a lot of universities are going to have to revise their policies again for the spring semester.  My dd doesn’t go back until mid-January, so I think we’ll all have a better idea of what the policies need to be by then.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I would first check with the college what they suggest for students who cannot travel home because it's too far. I suspect they have options for quarantine/isolation, just don't advertise them. Students who need to fly cannot leave.

Agreed. Our son's college has a quarantine dorm, and food service is provided as well as daily checks by campus health. So students do have to leave their dorm rooms, but they have a place to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, athena1277 said:

Do they require vaxxed students to leave in every case? My dd’s school sent students home if they tested positive or if they were exposed with no vax.  With the new CDC guidelines, even if she tests positive, she only has to isolate for 5 days if there are no symptoms (plus 5 days masking after).  I think a lot of universities are going to have to revise their policies again for the spring semester.  My dd doesn’t go back until mid-January, so I think we’ll all have a better idea of what the policies need to be by then.  

You are probably right. Omicron is such a deal breaker in so many ways. But last year, they left one dorm open for Covid cases. Now, all housing is filled. Honestly, I am not sure where they would put them in this smallish town. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Agreed. Our son's college has a quarantine dorm, and food service is provided as well as daily checks by campus health. So students do have to leave their dorm rooms, but they have a place to go.

That is what they did last year. There isn't one this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, TexasProud said:

AS of right now, this is what is says on the website:

1. Quarantine facilities and isolation services will not be provided on campus.

When does the semester start? Chances are, no campus office is updating any info between Christmas and New Year. When they closed, it wasn't yet clear what Omicron was doing. They will have to develop solutions. But that won't be happening over break.

• Like 3

Just now, regentrude said:

When does the semester start? Chances are, no campus office is updating any info between Christmas and New Year. When they closed, it wasn't yet clear what Omicron was doing. They will have to develop solutions. But that won't be happening over break.

She goes early along with all the other musical theater kids to rehearse the musical on the 9th.  School begins on the 13th.

• Like 1

Just now, TexasProud said:

She goes early along with all the other musical theater kids to rehearse the musical on the 9th.  School begins on the 13th.

So wait and see what the school announces next week. If they have students scheduled to return on the 9th, I would expect them to have updated their policies by Thursday or Friday. 

• Like 3

I expect many universities are going to scramble to update policies.  When most college/school/workplace policies were written, the data was clear that vaccinated people were much less likely to contract Covid. Obviously that’s been upended and over Christmas break on top of it. I expect next week a lot of places will be scrambling to update policies and procedures.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

So wait and see what the school announces next week. If they have students scheduled to return on the 9th, I would expect them to have updated their policies by Thursday or Friday. 

K. Yeah, they have been so very, very strict, especially for a Christian college. They never lifted the mask mandate. I just looked at the numbers for the county there and they are climbing, currently at 74/100,000 with 17 percent positivity. So they will probably be back to no social activities, no visiting between dorms, possibly getting food to go from cafeteria...  Which sucks, but may need to be that way. My daughter will not be happy. This is the first musical they have been able to do since she began ( she is a sophomore). Trying to be a musical theater major and actually get experience performing has been a real challenge. She has not performed in a musical since her senior year of high school when she was the lead for Newsies. UGGH.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I expect many universities are going to scramble to update policies.  When most college/school/workplace policies were written, the data was clear that vaccinated people were much less likely to contract Covid. Obviously that’s been upended and over Christmas break on top of it. I expect next week a lot of places will be scrambling to update policies and procedures.

This is indeed the case.

I have a front row seat to a university. Faculty and staff have been advised to expect an email this weekend prior to offices re-opening.  Students will receive one within a few days of that, as they are returning later.  I am (personally) knee-deep in tracking rapidly-changing covid news and policy, and I can imagine the conversations that are going on behind the scenes!  It's a tough time for those in leadership. 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 4

If this is a religious school, like LeTourneau in Longview, the students have put together a network of local families that are willing to take in students into their home that are in isolation or quarantine or sick. I would suggest having your daughter check to see if anything like that exists for her school.  

ETA: This is not an official school thing, this is a group of students trying to help the non-local kids that need help. So, it won't be posted on any official school website or email, she will just have to ask around.  If there is student organization that is involved in service, they would probably be the best place to contact first. 

ETA2: I've seen several schools staying the first two weeks will be all online, so she may not have to go back right away. The school where my youngest is has told the professors that online/in-person is totally at their discretion right now. We'll see what happens closer to the start of the semester. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

K. Yeah, they have been so very, very strict, especially for a Christian college. They never lifted the mask mandate. I just looked at the numbers for the county there and they are climbing, currently at 74/100,000 with 17 percent positivity. So they will probably be back to no social activities, no visiting between dorms, possibly getting food to go from cafeteria...  Which sucks, but may need to be that way. My daughter will not be happy. This is the first musical they have been able to do since she began ( she is a sophomore). Trying to be a musical theater major and actually get experience performing has been a real challenge. She has not performed in a musical since her senior year of high school when she was the lead for Newsies. UGGH.  

I'm so sorry, Tex.  Were she my student, I'd also be putting together a medical care box to go with her.  And I'd plan out several options for me to go to her, for her to come home, etc. If she's barely sick, you might want a place where she can stay close by and attend as many classes remotely as possible.  Also stock her with good masks (N95s), in case she is allowed to come back on campus if asymptomatic, even though she may not have tested clear yet.  (Similar to what the CDC is doing for HCW.) 

Just now, Halftime Hope said:

I'm so sorry, Tex.  Were she my student, I'd also be putting together a medical care box to go with her.  And I'd plan out several options for me to go to her, for her to come home, etc. If she's barely sick, you might want a place where she can stay close by and attend as many classes remotely as possible.  Also stock her with good masks (N95s), in case she is allowed to come back on campus if asymptomatic, even though she may not have tested clear yet.  (Similar to what the CDC is doing for HCW.) 

I made her one earlier, but I will make sure she knows where it is. She has a pulse ox, masks, vitamins, etc.  I will make sure she knows where that is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bambam said:

If this is a religious school, like LeTourneau in Longview, the students have put together a network of local families that are willing to take in students into their home that are in isolation or quarantine or sick. I would suggest having your daughter check to see if anything like that exists for her school.  

Good idea. Thank you. Didn't realize LeTourneau had that, but shouldn't surprise me. BTW, my daughter is a good friend of the president's daughter. Small world. 

• Like 1

UNC has on their web page about COVID-19 that if there are any changes to what they have previously disclosed, it will be on the web site on or before 03 January 2022.   In the case of my DD, I would rather have her there, where she can get help if she needs it, than to be somewhere else.  They will do whatever testing is necessary and offer vaccinations and go with the flow.   I was surprised to read in one of the posts above about non-vaccinated students. IMO they should not be allowed. They should all be vaccinated, unless there is some underlying medical issue that makes getting vaccinated dangerous.

Much good luck to your DD and may she participate in many productions and get lots of good and current experience!

OT: On the web site of the local (Cali, Colombia) newspaper today I read an Interview with the Governor of our Department (like a Province in Canada or a State).  She said the ICUs here are now at about 70% capacity. I remember during 2020 when they were at 95%    To me that means a lot and I pray they can keep it down around 70% occupancy.

12 minutes ago, Bambam said:

ETA: This is not an official school thing, this is a group of students trying to help the non-local kids that need help. So, it won't be posted on any official school website or email, she will just have to ask around.  If there is student organization that is involved in service, they would probably be the best place to contact first. 

ETA2: I've seen several schools staying the first two weeks will be all online, so she may not have to go back right away. The school where my youngest is has told the professors that online/in-person is totally at their discretion right now. We'll see what happens closer to the start of the semester. 

My nephew is at LeTourneau. That is not a school you hear about much.

Just now, Acadie said:

What date is she due for her booster? 

I'd explain the situation to her doctor and ask about getting her a third dose before she goes back. Third dose doesn't have to be 6 months out. 

Yeah, she is reluctant... She also hasn't had her flu vaccine yet.  She is deathly afraid of needles.  ( Thank you family practice who gave her 4 different shots/vaccines when she was 5. Until then, she was great with shots. But 4 in a row... )  She is at my in-laws right now. When she comes home this weekend, if she doesn't already have Covid ( which to me is a real possibility since she has been socializing with my nieces who have jobs and my husband's other relatives), then I will again bring up the possibility of getting both next week.  In a way, I am like the poster in the other thread. I kind of hope she gets it. That way, it is out of the way and she will only miss maybe the first few days of class, but then she ( I, since she is kind of resigned to getting it.)  doesn't have to worry about it anymore. 

Any chance that talking her in detail through the quarantine options (or lack thereof) might shift her in favor of getting her booster? Some college students who aren't concerned about Covid become more motivated to get a booster to minimize the chances of quarantine.  

7 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Any chance that talking her in detail through the quarantine options (or lack thereof) might shift her in favor of getting her booster? Some college students who aren't concerned about Covid become more motivated to get a booster to minimize the chances of quarantine.  

What do you mean minimize chances of quarantine??? Everyone in this area that I know that has it has been boosted. It doesn't help.

Editing to say, of course it helps with severity, just not with catching it.  To be honest, I am more worried about her health if she gets the flu. I really, really want her to get the flu vaccine.  She got it last year because a friend went with her.  I think our best hope is peer pressure from her friends at college.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

What do you mean minimize chances of quarantine??? Everyone in this area that I know that has it has been boosted. It doesn't help.

In our house right now we have one double-vaxxed Covid positive person and 3 triple-vaxxed people who were all definitely exposed and all healthy so far. 

There are breakthrough cases in boosted people but less than in the double-vaxxed population, and cases tend to be milder. So not a guarantee but definitely a help to reduce chances of infection and minimize symptom severity and hospitalizations if people do get infected. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acadie said:

In our house right now we have one double-vaxxed Covid positive person and 3 triple-vaxxed people who were all definitely exposed and all healthy so far. 

There are breakthrough cases in boosted people but less than in the double-vaxxed population, and cases tend to be milder. So not a guarantee but definitely a help to reduce chances of infection and minimize symptom severity and hospitalizations if people do get infected. 

I understand, but my friend who has it now is boosted. My niece who has it (glad it was diagnosed as she and my nephew were going to join the other cousins this week) was boosted, and another person from our community has it as well. I know. Just anecdotal. But all I have. 

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I hope she can get boosted, stay masked and uninfected!

One thing to consider: AirBnB has a policy about guests and Covid: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2833/quarantine-and-isolation-stays-policy You would want to—at the least—be upfront with your hosts, I think, about any potential illness or tests pending. 

I know someone who tried to stay in an Air B&B for Covid isolation and the owners found out.  That person is now banned from using AirBnB. A lot of hotels have a similar policy. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

To be honest, I am more worried about her health if she gets the flu. I really, really want her to get the flu vaccine.  She got it last year because a friend went with her.  I think our best hope is peer pressure from her friends at college.

I have the same issue.  Dd doesn't like vaccines (she did get double vaxxed but no flu or booster) and I am really worried about her getting the flu in school 1200 miles away.  I suspect her bf didn't get either of those either (I know he's double vaxxed) - I wish he did because he has way more influence on her than I do (which isn't saying much).  

14 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I know someone who tried to stay in an Air B&B for Covid isolation and the owners found out.  That person is now banned from using AirBnB. A lot of hotels have a similar policy. 

Yep, that’s what I was thinking might happen. I don’t think anyone should plan on AirBnB as a place to stay if they are sick or isolating. OP, you probably need to find out about hotel policies, or other options.

27 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yep, that’s what I was thinking might happen. I don’t think anyone should plan on AirBnB as a place to stay if they are sick or isolating. OP, you probably need to find out about hotel policies, or other options.

So where in the heck are you supposed to stay?????? To me, it seems safer to stay than to drive home. Of course I would let them know.  But I figure hotels definitely wouldn’t.  Plus, I would rent several days AFTER we leave to give time for it to air out. 

That said, I have a personal connection to one there, so I doubt she would have a problem if is available. 

• Like 2

I would definitely check in or have her check in personally with admin.  Maybe send an e-mail not explaining your situation and ask for suggestions.  If most kids live within 300 miles that policy can somewhat make sense but it's hard to believe they don't have an international student or low income students where just needing to leave quickly would be hard.  Does your daughter's college have a parent listserv or facebook page somewhere?  I see lots of behind the scenes helping going on on the parent board for my son's big 10 U.  Really nice local parents have dropped of meals or Tylenol or whatever for isolated students!   Housed students that got stuck due to weather.  Drove kids to the airport, etc. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some stuff wasn't happening behind the scenes.  

• Like 2