Menu

Tell me about massages

QueenCat

Dh got me a gift cert for a spa. They have massages, facials, body treatments. They do not do manicures/pedicures. I guess he never noticed that manis and pedis are the only things I've ever done at a spa. I'm not into getting almost naked and having someone all over my body. ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW. But let's say, I save the cert for later... Share your experiences... the good, the bad... My gut feeling is that I'll end up with a facial but I'm trying to be open-minded. 

I love (good) massages more than I love my children (ok, not really but it is SOOO close!).  I feel all sleepy and warm after one and loose (muscle and joint wise).  If you are older (which it seems you are from your sig file) you can get them to work out some of the kinks that come with being over 30!  If you like firm hugs, you might like a sports massage (or Asian bodywork massage).  If you light a lighter touch, ask for some to do more light touch massage.  If you don't want it I'll happily take it off your hands!!!  You can request lights low and keep on some clothes/underwear if it makes you more comfortable.  Also request no chit-chat if you want a restful time.

• Like 5

I love a good massage, too! Deep tissue massage is my thing. I used to live near a massage school, and getting a $20 massage was a huge luxury for me in college. Heavenly. I was nervous about the clothes thing, too, but honestly it isn’t an issue. 

But a facial comes in close second, that’s also pretty darn relaxing. If they have a private steam room, ask if you can steam first!

For now, I’d probably save it for later, for obvious reasons — but definitely use it!

• Like 4

I love massages. It's been ages since I had one. They are amazing and make me feel physically well. Great for tense muscles, shoulder and back pain, relaxes my jaw so I don't grind teeth... heaven.

For certain massage types, you don’t have to disrobe. My massage therapist does shiatsu massage and you can be fully clothed.

For others, you are covered with a sheet, and only the body portion the therapist is working on is uncovered.

( otoh, I couldn't care less about mani/pedi and never bothered with that)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

I've had several professional massages.  The ones where I stripped down - I was always under a sheet and blanekt.  only (and the table was heated.)  one leg or one arm was exposed at a time.  I had female masseurs.  I have always preferred deep tissue.  The one associated with a chiro's office actually did the best.

I've also done some where I was fully clothed - loose clothing with an elastic waist knit pants.  best with no buttons/zippers/etc.

One of the latter - is a senin-so shiatsu practitioner, and he would leave bruises, even though I was fully dressed.  that is more than "just" a massage.

find out what type of massage they offer.  swedish, sport, deep tissue, shiatsu, etc.

• Like 3

I adore a good massage. I always leave my panties on but that's it. I'm pretty body conscious but for some reason when it comes to a massage, I strip down, no worries :). I figure they see all types of bodies every day. I have never felt judged or looked down on. For every massage I've ever had, the masseuse kept a sheet on me the entire time. Sheet gets pulled off for the body part that is being worked on. So for the back, they pull it down to my waist, massage the back, pull up sheet. Legs are one at a time and it's pretty neat the way they wrap the sheet around the unmassaged leg. I've been to many different spas in my area and every experience has been great. It is TOTALLY worth it! Go for it! 

• Like 4

I have had two massages. I hated them. It wasn't because of being naked - as others have said, there is a covering, and in any cases it's very clinical, not personal if you know what I mean. I guess I don't like being touched that way, and, well... it's boring to me. I lie there and think about 10 other things I'd rather be doing or should be doing. A massage has the opposite of the intended effect on me - I do not come out relaxed, but rather more stressed. 

I do not believe I am unique in this but I don't think I have ever met anyone who didn't like a message. So I suppose I am an outlier. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love deep tissue massage; a good masseuse can really get in there and break up muscle knots and work out all the kinks. I always felt amazing after a really good massage and I miss getting them because of covid. I'm not as into the gentle "relaxation" type massage, because although they feel good while you're getting it, there's no lasting benefit. Deep tissue massage is not always relaxing when you're getting it (sometimes it hurts!), but then the next day you feel like you have a totally new body.

I know lots of people who love facials, but the one time I had one I hated it and never did it again. It just seemed like a ridiculous amount of time to spend rubbing stuff on one small body part, then wiping it off, rubbing in something else, etc. It just seemed like a lot of money for something that had no lasting effect. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

I have had two massages. I hated them. It wasn't because of being naked - as others have said, there is a covering, and in any cases it's very clinical, not personal if you know what I mean. I guess I don't like being touched that way, and, well... it's boring to me. I lie there and think about 10 other things I'd rather be doing or should be doing. A massage has the opposite of the intended effect on me - I do not come out relaxed, but rather more stressed. 

I do not believe I am unique in this but I don't think I have ever met anyone who didn't like a message. So I suppose I am an outlier. 

I don’t like massages. For me, with my fibromyalgia, it triggers pain for days afterwards. So I am another outlier. But I wouldn’t expect anyone without fibro to have my type of experience and perhaps not even other people with fibro. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've had several professional massages.  The ones where I stripped down - I was always under a sheet and blanekt.  only (and the table was heated.)  one leg or one arm was exposed at a time.  I had female masseurs.  I have always preferred deep tissue.  The one associated with a chiro's office actually did the best.

I've also done some where I was fully clothed - loose clothing with an elastic waist knit pants.  best with no buttons/zippers/etc.

One of the latter - is a senin-so shiatsu practitioner, and he would leave bruises, even though I was fully dressed.  that is more than "just" a massage.

find out what type of massage they offer.  swedish, sport, deep tissue, shiatsu, etc.

They do several types of massages there.

• Like 1

I love a massage.  Not having a massage has been one of the worst things about COVID to me.  I do have some neck/shoulder problems that massage helps with as an alternative to surgery. In addition to therapuetic massage to relieve specific pain, I enjoy a good full-body massage.  I enjoy everything from a nice relaxing massage to a deep tissue massage.  For a full body massage, you would disrobe in private and be drapped with sheets for any portion of the body that is not currently being worked on.  You would also have the opportunity to state any areas you would like avoided.  I find just being in the quiet, with the lights low, a relaxing experience.  You could say that you only want you shoulers, arms, feet, and calves massaged, for example.  Or, you could probably opt for a chair massage for which you remain fully dressed.  

I am not one for manicures or pedicures, but I went to a massage place that did a special foot care massage, where you soaked your feet in warm water, received a foot scrub, and then a foot and calf massage--it was really relaxing and if you like pedicures and manicures something like that and a special hand massage might be something you would enjoy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Me too, but I just had one( that was as much as I could bear). I don't like people touching me. I don't like having my clothes off,;even if I was covered. I didn't find it the least bit relaxing or enjoyable.  I absolutely hated it. Mil gave out gift certificates to massages for Christmas and I was sitting there so nervous I'd get one and have to fake gratitude.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

Love, love, love a good massage! They help my tight muscles more than anything. I like deep pressure, which means it does hurt a bit if I’m tight (and I always am!). The most important thing, imho, is to let your massage therapist know if you need more or less pressure. Everyone is different and it is perfectly ok to speak up and say you need a little more or less. You can leave on as many clothes as you’re comfortable with. Leaving on undies is perfectly fine!

• Like 2

Massages are probably in my top five favorite things in the WORLD. That is how much I love them.

I am a modest dresser and it doesn't bother me at all to strip down for a massage. They leave the room while you undress and in any case, they have seen it all, trust me. I always leave on my underwear and also put on some loose-fitting cotton shorts they provide. The masseuses I have been to are very careful about keeping you entirely covered--even tucked in!--except the part they are working on. Usually the lights are very dim as well. 

Things I would do differently in the future: 1. tell them I need more pressure when necessary (I don't care for light massages; kind of defeats the purchase) and 2. tell chatty masseuses to please be quiet. 🙂 

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy whatever service you decide to get.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I love deep tissue massages.  I get them fairly regularly to keep ahead of musculoskeletal injuries associated with my job.  I am wary due to COVID, but I go to a person who does them out of a room in her home.  (She also works in a spa.)  I'm usually her first appointment of the day and we both wear masks the whole time (I found one that does not cling to my nose so I can relax.)  I always keep my panties on - I just feel less exposed even though she is always mindful of only uncovering the parts she is working.  She usually starts with me completely covered to get me warmed up.  I need these for my neck, shoulders and hips.  They are sometimes painful if I have a lot of trigger points to work on, but afterwards, I feel much better and move easier.  Be sure to drink plenty of water beforehand and after.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Massages are probably in my top five favorite things in the WORLD. That is how much I love them.

I am a modest dresser and it doesn't bother me at all to strip down for a massage. They leave the room while you undress and in any case, they have seen it all, trust me. I always leave on my underwear and also put on some loose-fitting cotton shorts they provide. The masseuses I have been to are very careful about keeping you entirely covered--even tucked in!--except the part they are working on. Usually the lights are very dim as well. 

Things I would do differently in the future: 1. tell them I need more pressure when necessary (I don't care for light massages; kind of defeats the purchase) and 2. tell chatty masseuses to please be quiet. 🙂 

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy whatever service you decide to get.

I love massages too.  I rarely get one though.  I have never been particularly private or modest…..not related to how I dress…..I think I dress modestly….but anyway, one time I had some sort of major issue with my sciatic and I went to a new masseuse at a chiropractor that my hair dresser recommended.  He was a young guy….and when I explained my symptoms he told me he needed to work on my butt muscles.   At that point I was like ‘whatever you need to do’.  Kinda of like when you give birth.  You could not care less who is in there or what they see.  

• Like 2

My turn to dissent. I'm not a particularly private person and am not fazed by someone touching me - I don't dread gynaecology visits, for example. But I find it hard to relax during massages. I've had a few, from supposedly good masseurs, but they didn't work for me.

I quite like hand massages though.

• Like 1

I have young onset Parkinson’s and fibro. I have started getting massages about every 4-6 weeks. I try to vary the type of massage I get - deep tissue, hot stone, etc. I think that - for myself - massages are helpful to keeping me moving. 
I am modest and have anxiety around gyn appointments and mammograms, but being totally naked for a massage doesn’t bother me. I know someone that is a massage therapist and she says massage is more about the sense of touch, not sense of sight. I liken it to - I am an antique dealer and I do mostly large buys. I don’t see individual items when I am buying, even when I make smaller buys. I see buys as a group, not individual items, until it is time to clean and price or list. May not be an ideal comparison, but massage therapists aren’t gawking. 
Maybe the spa offers reflexology? I love that as well. 
A good facial can be very relaxing and zen. Or maybe they offer makeup application lessons? Or sell lotions that you would like? 
The spa that I go to has a sauna that you can rent privately, which I do occasionally, esp in cold weather. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I love massages too.  I rarely get one though.  I have never been particularly private or modest…..not related to how I dress…..I think I dress modestly….

Now that I think about it this is a good distinction to make. I usually dress modestly, but I'm not particularly private or modest otherwise. I don't mind gyn appointments (or interns in the room), don't mind walking around in a towel at home, don't mind being touched. So I guess it makes sense massages wouldn't bother me. 🙂 

It's about context, you know? A masseuse isn't much different than any other health professional, IMO. 

I also needed glute massages when I had sciatic trouble when I was pregnant. I was, like, don't care, do what you need to do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Now that I think about it this is a good distinction to make. I usually dress modestly, but I'm not particularly private or modest otherwise. I don't mind gyn appointments (or interns in the room), don't mind walking around in a towel at home, don't mind being touched. So I guess it makes sense massages wouldn't bother me. 🙂 

It's about context, you know? A masseuse isn't much different than any other health professional, IMO. 

I also needed glute massages when I had sciatic trouble when I was pregnant. I was, like, don't care, do what you need to do!

Right? And I think of my flutes as a fairly private area…..but when sciatica hits….all bets are off. 

• Like 1

I never thought I'd like massages, until I had one.

I am a very private and conservative person when it comes to my body, but I don't have a problem taking most things off for a massage.  Though they always say you don't have to - it's your choice.  Maybe try wearing a thin t-shirt and undies or thin shorts for your first massage if that would make you feel better?  They will work with you.  Also, I suggest that for your first massage, ask for a "relaxation" massage - not some hardcore thing that may challenge you in ways you really don't like.

I haven't had a massage in a long long time.  I don't feel like I can justify it with Covid.  But I really really really want one!  I just came back from a very long air trip, and man am I feeling it.  So don't tempt me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

I never thought I'd like massages, until I had one.

I am a very private and conservative person when it comes to my body, but I don't have a problem taking most things off for a massage.  Though they always say you don't have to - it's your choice.  Maybe try wearing a thin t-shirt and undies or thin shorts for your first massage if that would make you feel better?  They will work with you.  Also, I suggest that for your first massage, ask for a "relaxation" massage - not some hardcore thing that may challenge you in ways you really don't like.

I haven't had a massage in a long long time.  I don't feel like I can justify it with Covid.  But I really really really want one!  I just came back from a very long air trip, and man am I feeling it.  So don't tempt me!

Oh, I won't be using the gift cert any time soon. Not having unnecessary hands on me right now. That said, many of you have given me the encouragement to possibly try a massage when the time comes.

• Like 1