Menu

My mom...update

BakersDozen

For those following the ridiculous antics of my mom...here's a fun (not) update:

My two sisters pretty much shredded me some months ago for "neglecting" my mom, told me I had not done my job in taking care of her (not true), and that I needed to basically put up with my mom's crud because she's family. My younger sister went so far as to say she would come out here and pack my mom's stuff up then take her back East. My sister would help my mom buy a house so she could live close to those who would take care of her. My response was something like, "Go for it."

So my mom packed up her vehicle and headed out on a months-long road trip, staying with/mooching off friends. What.a.relief to have her gone!! She was to be with both my sisters over Christmas itself - I guess they rented/borrowed a house?

My younger sister kicked my mom out. I still am not entirely sure what happened but my mom is in a hotel somewhere, younger sister is not talking to her, older sister (who needs my mom financially) is "done" with her as well yet can't say anything because my mom is her bank.

I feel somewhat justified now in how we have handled my mom, especially in not giving in to her rants and demands.

Supposedly my mom is to go to CA through February w/my over-indulging brother and his wife. He is indulging only because he knows my mom won't be staying long so he can tolerate her then ship her off. We'll see how that plays out.

We're just so glad she's not here which is sad but true.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Slache said:

You're the one stepping up, they are not. They can put up (even financially) or shut up.

My older sister said she would move to Alaska if my mom ever moved back East/close to her, so she knows full well how things are w/my mom. So I was shocked when she contributed to the email shredding even though she would never volunteer to be with/take care of my mom.

It's just so sad - to have all four of one's children feel the same. To not have one kid who can stand the mom... 😞

• Like 2

Just now, BakersDozen said:

My older sister said she would move to Alaska if my mom ever moved back East/close to her, so she knows full well how things are w/my mom. So I was shocked when she contributed to the email shredding even though she would never volunteer to be with/take care of my mom.

It's just so sad - to have all four of one's children feel the same. To not have one kid who can stand the mom... 😞

It’s also reassuring to all four kids, to know that you are not alone, and that the mom is at fault, not any of you.

• Like 5

My mother isn’t far off from yours. The biggest difference is that mine has very limited mobility, so lucky for me, she cannot travel or move on her own. Last summer I finally found a care giver that mom tolerates and that seems to be able to put up with mom at least for the time she is there. That has helped to reduce some pressure on my sister(s), but… yes, it is sad…

• Like 1