Menu

Ugh! 2 days to Christmas

Night Elf

I have all my shopping done, but have not felt motivated to wrap even a single gift. I have bags and tissue paper which will make things much easier but I can't find the motivation to get started! I work both tomorrow and Friday. I sleep all morning due to insomnia. I just don't have time for this! I do not think I'll be seeing anyone other than my DH and two children so as long as I have theirs done we're good. I bought my son who lives in another city a gift card and even bought a holiday card to mail it in! But it's still sitting on the dining room table. Thank goodness we give Christmas money so he'll wake up Christmas morning to a deposit in his account. I also got my mom a gift card but didn't even buy a card to mail it in so it too sits on my dining room table. It will never get to her on time. She has gifts for us so we need to get together sometime but we haven't discussed a date for getting together. This is a strange Christmas indeed. So much to be thankful for, but all I want to do is focus on the birth of my Lord and Savior and forget all about the trappings of the consumer holiday part. I suppose I'll wrap gifts Christmas morning before anyone wakes up. It's not that many. I only have one gift for each person and there are 4 people I have gifts for. This shouldn't be such a big production!! 🙂

• Like 4

I’m sorry you are missing your mojo. 
I put wrapping on my calendar, like an appointment, to make it more likely to get it done. I also played an audiobook while I wrapped so I wouldn’t feel like I was wasting that time. 

• Like 5

I have tons of wrapping to do too.  Every night I say I'll put a Christmas movie on and wrap presents but that hasn't happened yet.  It'll have to be tonight because Christmas Eve dh will be working in our bedroom, where all the presents are, until midnight.  And at midnight is when him and I exchange gifts and put the kids' presents out.

Sorry it is hard for you this year. 

• Like 1

I hate wrapping with a fiery passion. Seriously, I absolutely dread it. Which is admittedly ridiculous because I only use bags or gift boxes (we reuse them every year and pride ourselves on waste free holidays 🙂 ). It should take just minutes, but I get so anxious about the ordeal I tend to put it off until the last minute. Stockings are even worse because they have to be filled sneakily (or at least, they were when DS was younger). 

It’s okay not to feel all the things this year. Consider late arriving gifts to be New Years gifts instead and absolve yourself of guilt. No one gets it all done on time, every time. 

• Like 3

I haven't wrapped anything. Kids will wrap their gifts for dh today. Dh and I will have to wrap everything for kids tonight. It takes forever but he's not working on Christmas Eve so we can stay up later. Problem is I think there's too much stuff and we should return some. We'll see if that happens.

Today, I have to make punch rings, bake Christmas desserts, Buche de Noel, Sticky Toffee pudding, and a pie. Maybe one more batch of cookies because they have been seriously depleted. Then a little laundry and deeper housecleaning. Ugh, and an appliance repair guy is coming today. And I have to get my haircut at 2. I might cancel that since I don't know when appliance guy is coming. 

I switched to cloth gift bags years ago and this year am putting sets of things in laundry baskets together- like a bunch of different magnet blocks together, a basket of games, or a bin of art supplies instead of wrapping things separately. Still took forever to drag it all out of my hidden places and sort through it. Then I’m throwing a throw blanket over each laundry basket. I wound u with too many presents and would usually save for birthdays, next year but want my closet space back. Just keeping one small tote bag for birthday presents next year. 

I didn’t do cookies or a tree this year.

good luck!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I switched to cloth gift bags years ago and this year am putting sets of things in laundry baskets together- like a bunch of different magnet blocks together, a basket of games, or a bin of art supplies instead of wrapping things separately. Still took forever to drag it all out of my hidden places and sort through it. Then I’m throwing a throw blanket over each laundry basket. I wound u with too many presents and would usually save for birthdays, next year but want my closet space back. Just keeping one small tote bag for birthday presents next year. 

I didn’t do cookies or a tree this year.

good luck!

Me too.  It is so much easier!!  Like a million times easier.  No hours spent wrapping, no huge mess to clean up on Christmas day, and better for the world.  All the presents are in the basement and if I had a secure area to put them I would already have them in the bags.  But I don't have a closet down there so I will do it Christmas eve and it doesn't take long at all.  

• Like 2

One year when we were doing some remodeling I just left everything in the  Amazon boxes and we opened them together on Christmas.  I kind of knew what was in each one so I could distribute,  but it was no big deal to swap. 

The next year I made some cloth gift bags and I love it.  It is easy and not wasteful. I different colors so each kid could have their own. 

Edited by LifeLovePassion
  • Like 2

It's hard for me to summon wrapping motivation too, so I created a tradition for myself of staying up very, very late on Christmas Eve and wrapping them with Its A Wonderful Life running in the background.  I've done this for many years, and now I usually look forward to it.

One particularly bad year that my kids were gone with my ex for Christmas, I didn't do any decorating at all and my kids opened their gifts out of shopping bags and Amazon boxes a couple of weeks after Christmas.  I felt bad, but I also felt bad, and the world didn't end.  That was my worst year, and the kids are all happy young adults now who are here together for the holiday - that's the most important part really.

Hang in there!  It's almost over...

I do not like wrapping either. This year I just took over the kitchen table with wrapping supplies, and as I bought something this month, I just wrapped it right away. Everything was there, it was easy, presto it was done. We just didn't eat at the kitchen table all month was the price! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anne said:

Re:  Cloth bags - anyone have a source for reasonably priced, decent-size, cloth gift bags?  I would love to switch but I no longer have a sewing machine…

Anne

Sorry, my mom made ours. I used to use pillowcases, those are easy to find cheap at thrift shops 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Night Elf said:

So much to be thankful for, but all I want to do is focus on the birth of my Lord and Savior and forget all about the trappings of the consumer holiday part.

So true, I hear you on that. I did enjoy small town shopping and shopped more online this year. And I can say I did not set foot once in the big box stores or even the malls, so I am glad about that.   But I am feeling it again where Advent started well the first 2 weeks, then got sidetracked with having to finish Christmas preps and buying (which I admit can be fun).  But I have not kept up on the last 2 weeks of Advent services I like to watch online. And I still need to do the last minute push to get cards in the mail and finish wrapping. Yes, it is nice to gift people, but I feel once again that I have drifted from my faith part of Christmas. Hang in there, even if things are late, it is the 'Christmas Season', even through New Years. 

I feel this!!! The wrapping is not done. I made brandy cake today for tomorrow night and knocked too much air out of the egg whites folding the mixture into the batter so it didn't rise high enough. I now have to make another one and don't have enough eggs.

My snowball cookies did not turn out using the one for one replacement gf flour, so I have to buy regular flour and remake those. No eating them for me, but that us okay. The main thing is that time wise, this is NOT a good thing.

And Kroger forgot the imitation crab meat I paid for on the curbside pick up. They have to refund me the money and also by the time I figured it out, had RUN OUT, so now I am trying to get it from Whole Foods. And that means I am behind on one more thing.

Next year, I think I am going to Barbados for Christmas!!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bambam said:

I do not like wrapping either. This year I just took over the kitchen table with wrapping supplies, and as I bought something this month, I just wrapped it right away. Everything was there, it was easy, presto it was done. We just didn't eat at the kitchen table all month was the price! 

Nobody likes a show-off.

Just saying.

😉 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes!!

Also, I had a friend who actually didn't wrap presents. Her little girl came down Christmas morning and everything was set under the tree. Hmmm, not a bad idea, I had never thought of that!

• Like 2

Just now, ***** said:

Yes!!

Also, I had a friend who actually didn't wrap presents. Her little girl came down Christmas morning and everything was set under the tree. Hmmm, not a bad idea, I had never thought of that!

I love that! I never wrap presents from Santa- those just got under the tree.. but we only do 1 present each from Santa.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you're struggling OP. I hate, hate, hate shopping for Christmas 🎄 but honestly enjoy wrapping. I've thought about switching to cloth bags but fear Ill be sorry to miss out on wrapping. I like trying to line it all up and make it so nice and neat. I don't do bows or name tags anymore. I got tired of the bows falling off- I just use a sharpie to write the names on. I wrapped while while Christmas movies.

• Like 1

I've never wrapped prior to Christmas Eve (or the eve of our early Christmas if we're doing it early).  Despite many vows to do it early, it never happens.

This year, we had Christmas last Saturday due to travel.  I fell asleep thinking about wrapping, and woke at 8:30am, which was when Christmas was supposed to happen.  Luckily my kids are way past the Santa stage and just stayed in their rooms until I got everything done.  🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

My snowball cookies did not turn out using the one for one replacement gf flour, so I have to buy regular flour and remake those. No eating them for me, but that us okay. The main thing is that time wise, this is NOT a good thing.

I find that GF flour requires more liquid/eggs when subbing 1:1, so I usually end up adding 50% to 75% more liquid than the recipe calls for, depending on the recipe. You might want to try that next time.

18 hours ago, fraidycat said:

I find that GF flour requires more liquid/eggs when subbing 1:1, so I usually end up adding 50% to 75% more liquid than the recipe calls for, depending on the recipe. You might want to try that next time.

Thanks! I just got them out of the oven after chilling them in the freezer for 30 minutes. The recipe didn't call for that but my sister has a ton of experience with alternative flour and she told me that doing that allows the gf flour to have more time to absorb the fats, chilling would help them hold, and to cut the baking time by 4 minutes. It worked like a charm, and now my middle son has his favorite cookies!

Things are better today. My second attempt at brandy cake went so much better, and I am actually going to use the first not so great layer because the crumbs tasted incredible, and I am just going to make a double batch of the custard, and put a filling on top of the best layer which will be brandy soaked, and then put the thinner one on top covered in custard with some brandy poured over the whole thing.

I am 30 minutes ahead of schedule. My feet want me to sit down, so I am. But my head keeps telling me to get up and cook. At least what is coming up is in my wheelhouse, all the roasted meats and vegetables. That is stuff I am very good at. It is baking that makes my head explode! 😜

• Like 2

When my kids were little, I told them that Santa didn’t wrap his gifts. Anything I didn’t want to wrap just showed up under the tree on Christmas morning. 😁 I wish I would have just made giant cloth sacks years ago. It would be so easy for those heavy, awkward items. This year I resorted to a sheet. 😝

FD8D1FC1-AA02-456B-8481-C71B19F69BC6.jpeg

• Like 2