Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

49 minutes ago, KSera said:

I hope so, but also think it's going to be too late for this wave. And I can't fathom why it's not until now that they are *starting* to try to get home tests out. Testing has been an issue in the US in one way or another from the very, very start.

I think testing was put on hold when it was felt vaccination was the way out. Now that they have decided vaccination is not going to be enough, testing is a higher priority

• Like 1

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I think testing was put on hold when it was felt vaccination was the way out. Now that they have decided vaccination is not going to be enough, testing is a higher priority

Good point.

Actually, that reminds me of something I saw today. Worth a watch: 

Edited by KSera
Eta link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our whole family has now gone through Covid Round #2. We had Delta this past fall so we're assuming this is Omicron. Much milder symptoms & shorter cycle, overall.

We all had a few days of headache & cough, but nothing that was memorable, tbh. It was annoying more than anything (who wants to be stuck at home over the holidays?).

We took DayQuil. Was really underwhelming and I'm so ready for this to be over with.

DD had an important event she's been looking forward to for THREE YEARS (canceled in '20 and '21) get canceled due to Omicron and I'm beyond irritated at the organizers. I think this was lazy decision making. The event is in late February, for gosh's sake. NOTHING I have seen of any Omicron data indicates this was necessary.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

On 12/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, popmom said:

I don’t have a fever so far, but no appetite and I’m too fatigued and achy to even stare at my phone. I’m going to try to sleep.

So I did go to sleep right after posting this. And I have pretty much slept most of the time since. Severe fatigue and body aches have been the main symptoms although I did get a headache several hours ago. I’ve had some GI issues, too. I finally broke down and took ibuprofen tonight. I feel so much better. Now I’m wide awake at 3am because I slept all day. I hope I’m truly getting over it and it’s not the ibuprofen just masking symptoms. 

I’m scheduled to get a PCR test tomorrow (technically later today). I have to believe I caught Omicron from my dd as I haven’t left the house in at least a week. I will say… this illness has felt very much like post exertional malaise from CFS/ME. PEM is pretty rare for me these days—I take my meds consistently and I haven’t over exerted myself. 
I hope I haven’t missed my window by waiting until I’m better to get the PCR. 

• Sad 12

11 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I try to remember that people are coming from many different POV on this. One of the things that binds most people who were alive at the time about 9.11 was that we all saw it with our very own eyes. Around the world, most people on the planet that had access to a TV witnessed the horrors of that day and, to varying degrees, it was seared into our collective memories. The problem with this pandemic is that it is out sight and, unless it touches you, out of mind. Because of privacy laws, we do not have cameras in our ICUs, in our EDs, or in our ambulances. We should. We cannot show the true horrors of 800,000 American deaths the way we did 3,000 of them, so it continues to go on and on and on. Out of sight, out of mind. People have no idea what it is like to die of Covid. They should. They should see it over and over again, as HCWs have. People say that we shouldn't have to live in fear, but how do you know what to fear if it is out of sight? How many people would have gone along with the Patriot Act and the restrictions and changes to our entire way of life post-9.11 had we not seen it all with our very own eyes that day? People need to see what we have seen.   

I think it is this exactly! The thing that causes me the most mental anguish is seeing the reality of Covid in the ICU and then hearing and seeing so many people in my life downplaying or ignoring what is happening. Interestingly, none of these people, despite knowing where I work, ever ask me how things are going there. It’s like you are working frantically in really difficult and heart rending situations and everyone completely ignores that it’s happening. It’s like living in a parallel universe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

10 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Locally 8% of Covid tests are coming up postivie for Covid and 7% of flu tests are coming up positive for flu (And a friend had both of her kids end up in the hospital briefly with diagnosed flu)

It would be nice if they always swabbed for both when running Covid tests. I worked a testing site that had the capability and ran both automatically, but I don't think all places do. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, TCB said:

I think it is this exactly! The thing that causes me the most mental anguish is seeing the reality of Covid in the ICU and then hearing and seeing so many people in my life downplaying or ignoring what is happening. Interestingly, none of these people, despite knowing where I work, ever ask me how things are going there. It’s like you are working frantically in really difficult and heart rending situations and everyone completely ignores that it’s happening. It’s like living in a parallel universe.

I am so sorry. It is the same with my niece in law, the EKG tech at a mid-Michigan hospital. She has seen so much heart damage from even "mild" cases of covid, but her extended family acts like she is working on Mars instead of actually happening in real time close to home. But I think that is because they have decided they are not going to change their ways for ANY reason so they must ignore any evidence that they are being idiots.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

I am too! Way back when, there was talk of $1 home testing kits. I'm so disappointed they never transpired. $7.50 a test (BinaxNow from Walmart) is pricey for casual testing, IMO. And, sometimes, they are quite difficult to come by. I know Walgreens tests for free, but they only have a limited number of slots available for select hours during the day.

On 12/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, popmom said:

I’m super frustrated that we are 2 years into this stupid pandemic and our country still hasn’t figured out how to make at home testing widely available. This is on federal and state governments as well as the manufacturers who slowed production during the so called “lull”. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kanin said:

If omicron is so contagious, does that mean the next variant will have to be even more contagious to dominate? 

Probably, however, we don't know how many hosts and mutations it can go through before its genetic information is so discombobulated that it becomes either more deadly or less deadly and less likely to create complications thus becoming endemic like Flu A, and we have enough tricks up our medical sleeves to live with it fairly well. It is an unknown. Fingers crossed that it actually becomes less dangerous and no longer overwhelms hospitals or causes such a high rate of long covid so life can de-stress. That is my hope, but it could get worse, not better.

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Probably, however, we don't know how many hosts and mutations it can go through before its genetic information is so discombobulated that it becomes either more deadly or less deadly and less likely to create complications thus becoming endemic like Flu A, and we have enough tricks up our medical sleeves to live with it fairly well. It is an unknown. Fingers crossed that it actually becomes less dangerous and no longer overwhelms hospitals or causes such a high rate of long covid so life can de-stress. That is my hope, but it could get worse, not better.

Interesting... it's been so crazy to see omicron develop and take over in such a short span. I can't stop hoping that an even "milder" variant will come along soon. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kanin said:

If omicron is so contagious, does that mean the next variant will have to be even more contagious to dominate? 

I think not necessarily. If omicron doesn't provide protection from the next variant (as delta infection doesn't seem to protect from omicron), then if omicron has burned through the population, it seems another variant could still take over even if not more contagious. It does seem that the majority of people are likely to get omicron the way this thing is going right now. Not everybody, but a larger number than with any of the previous variants, it seems.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

The description provided in this article seems accurate—at least for our experience. I’m fine today. 
We have 5 people in our household for the holidays. Dd 24 (one dose of J and J last spring) caught it from a friend, and I caught it from dd. Dd had worse symptoms than I did—high fever. I’m only 4 weeks out from my Moderna booster—pretty much as good as that protection is going to get—and I still got it. What’s interesting to me is that no one else in the house has gotten sick. Maybe dh. He had a couple of days of mild headache and his temp was 99.3. He also has only had one dose of J and J. But he takes more supplements than I do… more vitamin D, zinc, vitamin C, etc. 

The side effects from the Moderna booster were almost the same as actually getting Omicron—for me. In some ways the booster side effects were worse! I had horrible chills and shaking after the shot. The main difference is duration of symptoms. Booster effects—24 hours. Omicron— 48 hours. Still definitely worth  getting the booster. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I think not necessarily. If omicron doesn't provide protection from the next variant (as delta infection doesn't seem to protect from omicron), then if omicron has burned through the population, it seems another variant could still take over even if not more contagious. It does seem that the majority of people are likely to get omicron the way this thing is going right now. Not everybody, but a larger number than with any of the previous variants, it seems.

Exactly. It really worries me to see how many people (not necessarily here, but in anti-vax circles) seem to think that they can catch omicron, get the equivalent of a cold, and have permanent protection against covid. Omicron is not very closely related to the other variants, which are still circulating, so if the next variant evolves from one of the other lineages and it evolves in a different direction from omicron, with different mutations, then prior infection with omicron may not provide any more protection against the next variant than delta provided against omicron. The next variant doesn't need to be more infectious than omicron, it just needs to be different enough from omicron that it can evade omicron-induced immunity.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

This is more depressing than last year. Last year I thought vaccines would save us and put an end to this pandemic. This year there isn’t any hope left. I give up. 

A friend triple vaccinated got it a week ago. Mild cold like symptoms for 3 days and he is fine now. Mid 50s. 

Except that the vaccines are lowering disease severity so there is still hope, right? I mean I don't think we were ever going to eliminate it so having it cause less harm is about as good as we can do.  We knew this was a virus that was going to mutate a lot and would not be like polio or measles.  

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Except that the vaccines are lowering disease severity so there is still hope, right? I mean I don't think we were ever going to eliminate it so having it cause less harm is about as good as we can do.  We knew this was a virus that was going to mutate a lot and would not be like polio or measles.  

I’m all for optimism! But I want better than this current scenario. I hope there is something better than this scenario in the future.

For me personally— I find this year more depressing in the sense that my neighbors (my entire county) are just Done. Not that they ever were great about masking or anything, but now it’s even less and they interpret people masking, etc as a personal affront, and then they go on the attack. There’s just … a lot of animosity. I try to smile under my mask and say a cheery hello when someone is glaring, but honestly, I’m getting to the point that I want to glare back. Probably best that I’m staying home mostly, for now, ha!

I’m hopeful that omicron is causing less severe acute disease (is the science settled on that yet? I am not sure?), but I still would prefer not to risk long Covid or a chronic illness. I know what that’s like, and clawed my way out of being bedbound by chronic illness years ago, and I really don’t think I have the fortitude to do it again. Or the finances, at this point! 

And I really don’t want my asthmatic kids, one of whom can’t be triple vaxxed, to catch omicron since I’ve read it’s worse for asthmatics. (Again, not sure that’s settled science, either, but don’t want my kid to be part of finding out.)

And from a public health standpoint, even if it’s less severe, it’s more contagious, and a peak with tons of people ill is going to overwhelm hospitals. That alone is enough for concern, for the HCWs and for the patients who can’t get good care.

So, yes, I see reason for optimism but I’m still finding this particular season more frustrating than some others. Doubly so since those of us with newly vaccinated 5 - 11 yr olds who waited and waited for their turn, so they could be freer to go out and do more, only for omicron to pop up and make three shots more effective than two, but of course — they can’t get three.

Plus, like Kassia, this Christmas was ruined for our adult kids, who spent it sick and alone. Boo. And, honestly, I know so many people who are sick right now, I just can’t get on board with thinking this is as good as it gets. I sure hope it gets better than this, because this is pretty crummy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

51 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

We most definitely had hope that vaccines would mostly take care of large surges, mutations included. I could trace the messaging and hopes all the way back. Has anybody forgotten “if you are vaccinated, take off your mask” optimism? I mean we are in the biggest surge ever despite 79% of my county’s total population being vaccinated. No, this is not how anybody thought this would enfold. In fact right right now there is nothing yet visible in our toolbox that can get us back to normal. I am boosted and as a person with high risk, I don’t feel protected at all. I did when I first got the vaccine. So maybe the perspective of low risk individuals is different, but from where I am sitting, situation is much worse this year. 
A good friend of mine is a doctor and tells me they have boosted people in the local hospitals in ICU as well. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

This is more depressing than last year. Last year I thought vaccines would save us and put an end to this pandemic. This year there isn’t any hope left. I give up. 

Yeah, this is how I feel too.   I am so tired of being afraid, overwhelmed, and super cautious.   I mean, I will remain super cautious, but I am worn out from all of this.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

22 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Locally 8% of Covid tests are coming up postivie for Covid and 7% of flu tests are coming up positive for flu (And a friend had both of her kids end up in the hospital briefly with diagnosed flu)

I am in West Michigan and our positivity rate is at over 27% right now....plus lots of people NOT testing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

10 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am in West Michigan and our positivity rate is at over 27% right now....plus lots of people NOT testing.

I'm in NE Ohio - we're over 30% positivity with many people not testing.  And we're surrounded by counties that are doing worse.  My friend and her family drove two hours round trip and waited an hour to get tested today but not many people would do that.  She was actually really happy that it was only an hour wait but was disgusted that she had to go through that nearly two years after the pandemic started.  Things are way worse now than they ever were here.  I have a post-op appt. on Monday and really don't want to go.  DH will take me so he will be exposed too.  😞 

• Sad 14

55 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We most definitely had hope that vaccines would mostly take care of large surges, mutations included. I could trace the messaging and hopes all the way back. Has anybody forgotten “if you are vaccinated, take off your mask” optimism? I mean we are in the biggest surge ever despite 79% of my county’s total population being vaccinated. No, this is not how anybody thought this would enfold. In fact right right now there is nothing yet visible in our toolbox that can get us back to normal. I am boosted and as a person with high risk, I don’t feel protected at all. I did when I first got the vaccine. So maybe the perspective of low risk individuals is different, but from where I am sitting, situation is much worse this year. 
A good friend of mine is a doctor and tells me they have boosted people in the local hospitals in ICU as well. 

I think there is a lot of evidence that the vaccines are preventing a lot of serious illness though. In our ICU over the last few weeks we have had 1 vaccinated person - not sure if boosted - and they were there for a few days, did not get intubated, and were transferred back up to the floor. It’s been a fair while since we lost a vaccinated person. A friends dad, extremely high risk, got Covid shortly after his booster, and he is now fine. She was extremely worried about his chances of surviving if he got sick. Anyway, those are just a few examples, and not hard data, but when you look at the numbers as a whole it is very encouraging regarding serious illness, but, of course, disappointing regarding getting infected.

• Like 26

A 27 yo (vaxxed) friend of my eldest was hospitalized today in the Bronx. She tested positive on the 22nd, had trouble breathing yesterday, went to the ER last night where she was told they had no beds and to try to get through the night and return in the morning.  They did have a bed for her today, fortunately.  Please hold her in your thoughts.

Our governor announced yesterday the state would use federal funds to ship out rapid tests to every municipality; and my town announced today we'll have a drive-through pickup line at one of the schools on Friday to pick up 2 tests/car upon proof of residence.  Which isn't enough but it's a start.

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

@Spryte clearly my case is just one case—but my asthma wasn’t worsened at all. I was really concerned about that. I could take good deep breaths and had no wheezing. Pretty significant considering I can have a pretty nasty exacerbation just from a head cold. Upper respiratory symptoms were too mild to mention. I think that’s the difference. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Same here, 80% vacation rate yet we had the highest number of infections today since the beginning of the pandemic before vaccinations were available.

Ddgoes to an adult judo class and no one wears a mask. She does, but it still seems risky given that teens can't get boosted and now more people are getting infected. In judo there is very close contact, like face to face. There is definitely some sort of false optimism or embarrassment to show caution in this class. 

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, TCB said:

I think there is a lot of evidence that the vaccines are preventing a lot of serious illness though. In our ICU over the last few weeks we have had 1 vaccinated person - not sure if boosted - and they were there for a few days, did not get intubated, and were transferred back up to the floor. It’s been a fair while since we lost a vaccinated person. A friends dad, extremely high risk, got Covid shortly after his booster, and he is now fine. She was extremely worried about his chances of surviving if he got sick. Anyway, those are just a few examples, and not hard data, but when you look at the numbers as a whole it is very encouraging regarding serious illness, but, of course, disappointing regarding getting infected.

This is very hopeful. Every bit of good news is great at this point. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I'm in NE Ohio - we're over 30% positivity with many people not testing.  And we're surrounded by counties that are doing worse.  My friend and her family drove two hours round trip and waited an hour to get tested today but not many people would do that.  She was actually really happy that it was only an hour wait but was disgusted that she had to go through that nearly two years after the pandemic started.  Things are way worse now than they ever were here.  I have a post-op appt. on Monday and really don't want to go.  DH will take me so he will be exposed too.  😞 

I've got an MRI appt tomorrow first thing and I am stressed, too. I'll double mask and all that jazz, but really I don't want to go anywhere at all right now. I'll be praying for your appt.

• Like 4

Thanks to all of you who are following this so closely and thinking through the data.  This thread has been so helpful.  

I had two exposures recently. 

A coworker came down with it after spending Thanksgiving with family that was mostly unvaxxed and they got sick.  She started to feel unwell the Monday after Thanksgiving.  That day, I was sharing her workstation (masked) and was in the breakroom having lunch about 10 feet away from her (unmasked).  My other coworker and I were constantly monitoring ourselves for symptoms - we became nervous over every throat tickle and hint of stuffy nose.  Neither of us came down with it.  Both of us were vaxxed and boostered.  Don't know if our sick coworker was boosted, but she had to have been vaxxed to be allowed to work.  She said she felt bad for a couple of days but recovered fairly quickly.  No sign of any lingering effect.  This was likely Delta - since it was late November.  

I was really cautious due to the fact that a surgery that I had put off for 2 years was scheduled on the 15th.  And if that got postponed, it would delay me starting a new job.  Surgery was a success, but I developed a cough from being intubated.  It seemed to be getting worse after a few days so I got tested to be sure and it was negative.  

K was just diagnosed yesterday.  She had been staying at her apartment, but coming over every day and stayed over on Christmas eve.  She woke up sick on Christmas morning and got a text from her roommate that she tested positive.  We opened all the windows in the house, packed her up and sent her with food, soups, medicines and all her wrapped presents that we hadn't even opened.  We were able to get K an appointment for testing yesterday (but the line was still about 45 minutes.)  She's positive.  For those of us without symptoms, appointments were 5+ days out, so we had to go to a walk-in testing site and wait in line (outside) for an hour.  The rest of us are negative.  We are monitoring symptoms but so far, the only thing we have going on here is my cough that is slowly getting better.  K said she is feeling better after 1 day of feeling lousy - complaining of boredom.  K had Covid in November 2020 and got vaxxed this Spring/Summer.  But no booster.  Dh, ds, and I are vaxxed and boosted.  DD is vaxxed, but was fighting strep for half the semester so hasn't gotten boosted yet.  

I've been watching the recommendations for healthcare workers.  I haven't received any official word from my current job on any changes yet.    I heard that a sonographer at the hospital where I will be working tested positive and they were already short-staffed.  I'll be walking into a war-zone on my first day.  😬

• Like 2
  • Sad 13

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Uggh. We’ve been passing something around here and four of us have used home tests but been negative, so didn’t follow up with outside testing. We’re all vaccinated and had boosters but now I’m wondering. My mom spent Christmas Day in bed and youngest is still pretty congested. Hopefully, since four of us tested, the tests are accurate and would have picked up at least one. 

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

4 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Uggh. We’ve been passing something around here and four of us have used home tests but been negative, so didn’t follow up with outside testing. We’re all vaccinated and had boosters but now I’m wondering. My mom spent Christmas Day in bed and youngest is still pretty congested. Hopefully, since four of us tested, the tests are accurate and would have picked up at least one. 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests#omicronvariantimpact
Omicron Variant: Impact on Antigen Diagnostic Tests (As of 12/28/2021)

Throughout the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the FDA has been monitoring and evaluating the potential impact of genetic variants on antigen tests.

The FDA is collaborating with the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) RADx program to study the performance of antigen tests with patient samples that have the omicron variant. RADx recently performed preliminary studies evaluating the performance of some antigen tests using patient samples containing live virus, which represents the best way to evaluate true test performance in the short-term. Early data suggests that antigen tests do detect the omicron variant but may have reduced sensitivity.

….

Tests Expected to Fail to Detect the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant (As of 12/27/2021)

The FDA's analysis to date has identified certain EUA-authorized molecular tests whose performance may be impacted by mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant. These tests fall into two categories, as described below: those that are expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant, and those that are expected to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant with a specific gene drop out detection pattern.

Tests Expected to Fail to Detect the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant (As of 12/27/2021)

Due to the inability of these tests to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant, the FDA recommends that these tests should not be used until this issue of these tests' inability to detect the omicron variant is resolved.

Issue Resolved: Tests Previously Expected to Fail to Detect the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant (As of 12/27/2021)

These tests have been modified or otherwise have addressed the issue of their inability to detect the omicron variant.

• Thanks 3

Just now, popmom said:

Wait. Omicron prevalence is 22%? Did I read that correctly? Down from the guesstimate of 75%? 

CDC drastically drops estimate of US Omicron cases | Coronavirus | The Guardian

The CDC significantly reduced its estimate for how prevalent the omicron variant of COVID-19 was in the United States earlier in December, saying on Tuesday that the omicron variant was responsible for 22.5% of all new cases for the week ending December 18 after previously saying the omicron variant was responsible for 73.2% of all new cases for the same week.

For the week ending Dec. 25, the agency says omicron accounted for 58.6% of all new cases.

CDC significantly reduces estimate of omicron prevalence in US (yahoo.com)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Well, darn. I just tested negative. My symptoms don’t scream Covid, they seem pretty different from anything I’ve read, but as I have a low grade temp, and feel pretty crummy, I wanted to check. Guess I’ll have to retest in a day or two.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Well, darn. I just tested negative. My symptoms don’t scream Covid, they seem pretty different from anything I’ve read, but as I have a low grade temp, and feel pretty crummy, I wanted to check. Guess I’ll have to retest in a day or two.

definitely retest - but our family all tested negative on the rapids when we had Delta, but all tested positive on rapids for Omicron! It's all so bizarre and confusing! 😵

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joker2 said:

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

What I’m reading everywhere is that anyone symptomatic should get a PCR in order to know for sure. Some people are taking quite awhile to turn positive on a rapid, and I’ve seen some that never do, despite a positive PCR. Of course, there are other things going around as well, and you just as easily might have one of those.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've got an MRI appt tomorrow first thing and I am stressed, too. I'll double mask and all that jazz, but really I don't want to go anywhere at all right now. I'll be praying for your appt.

You too.  It's horrible being afraid to go for medical care.  We don't want to go anywhere either.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

CDC drastically drops estimate of US Omicron cases | Coronavirus | The Guardian

The CDC significantly reduced its estimate for how prevalent the omicron variant of COVID-19 was in the United States earlier in December, saying on Tuesday that the omicron variant was responsible for 22.5% of all new cases for the week ending December 18 after previously saying the omicron variant was responsible for 73.2% of all new cases for the same week.

For the week ending Dec. 25, the agency says omicron accounted for 58.6% of all new cases.

CDC significantly reduces estimate of omicron prevalence in US (yahoo.com)

Well, we are testing the wastewater here in Orlando (well, orange county to be exact) and finding almost all Omicron. They are saying that samples show almost 100% Omicron here, in wastewater. So...either it just likes us more or?

• Like 2

Agreeing that it totally sucks and is disheartening to AGAIN be afraid to get medical care. I REALLY need dental work - but open mouthed in a room another person was sitting open mouthed in for hours before me, with rates tripling in a week, and omicron making up most cases, and an unvaccinated kid at home with pediatric hospitalization going up seems not smart at all. 

But then, when? 

I'd been so happy to get the other two littles vaccinated, especially since one is my Auto immune kid, only to have Omicron show up and make vaccination not so protective after all. And now Pfizer's trials on under 5 were a bust. DD4 will be 5 in late March, so was looking forward to that, but seriously, if even two vaccines is not very protective, I just don't even know how to look forward to things. 

Trying to tell myself that once vaccinated it will help at least a bit with severity. 

• Sad 6

6 hours ago, KSera said:

What I’m reading everywhere is that anyone symptomatic should get a PCR in order to know for sure. Some people are taking quite awhile to turn positive on a rapid, and I’ve seen some that never do, despite a positive PCR. Of course, there are other things going around as well, and you just as easily might have one of those.

All but one of us are completely symptom free now so I don’t think a PCR will do any good at this point. I will see how youngest feels when they’re up but it’s been several days for them at this point so I don’t know if it would be worth the hassle of finding a testing place now. It’s just disheartening that the home tests may be missing this variant.

• Like 2

re testing wastewater

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Well, we are testing the wastewater here in Orlando (well, orange county to be exact) and finding almost all Omicron. They are saying that samples show almost 100% Omicron here, in wastewater. So...either it just likes us more or?

I didn't know Florida was doing that. Is it statewide, or just an Orlando program?

eta nm, lol, I see you ACTUALLY WROTE OUT IN WORDS "Orange County."

Off to consume another cup, lol.

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Haha 7

DH’s 96 yr old grandmother is positive. She’s triple vaccinated.

The family that lives closest to her and cares for her has been ill (Covid) and we knew it was a possibility.

His father wants to go help and grandmother is adamantly refusing.

Trying to see if she can get MAB.

• Sad 13