Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent all day at the children's hospital, all staff masked with n94s, and signs everywhere telling adults they had to mask. There was a kid with whooping cough in front of us and they had a little mask on him too while he was in line (thankfully he got taken out of line asap). The parents all had masks although they were mostly surgical masks on the chin. I feel it was a bit better than when we there 6 months ago. Definitely quieter, we didn't have to wait really in triage, got a bed almost immediately, we were there all day but it was an eye injury and they were concerned (all fine now). 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Spent all day at the children's hospital, all staff masked with n94s, and signs everywhere telling adults they had to mask. There was a kid with whooping cough in front of us and they had a little mask on him too while he was in line (thankfully he got taken out of line asap). The parents all had masks although they were mostly surgical masks on the chin. I feel it was a bit better than when we there 6 months ago. Definitely quieter, we didn't have to wait really in triage, got a bed almost immediately, we were there all day but it was an eye injury and they were concerned (all fine now). 

I’m sorry you had to spend the day at hospital but good to hear they’re taking some precautions.

• Like 4

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/severe-covid-19-may-lead-long-term-innate-immune-system-changes?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Severe COVID-19 may cause long-lasting alterations to the innate immune system, the first line of defense against pathogens, according to a small study funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health. These changes may help explain why the disease can damage so many different organs and why some people with long COVID have high levels of inflammation throughout the body. The findings were published online today in the journal Cell.

• Like 4

My state (Alabama) is definitely seeing an increase in hospitalizations. Around 230 total in the hospital for COVID--up from 60 in early July. 23 in ICU. But...no deaths in the past several days. Deaths do not seem to be increasing in spite of more cases. And hospitals are not at all overwhelmed. The newer variant paired with very hot temps driving people indoors...this is what they are speculating is causing the uptick. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

My state (Alabama) is definitely seeing an increase in hospitalizations. Around 230 total in the hospital for COVID--up from 60 in early July. 23 in ICU. But...no deaths in the past several days. Deaths do not seem to be increasing in spite of more cases. And hospitals are not at all overwhelmed. The newer variant paired with very hot temps driving people indoors...this is what they are speculating is causing the uptick. 

How’s your reporting? Deaths here in my state of Aus are typically being reported monthly now when they reconcile data, and every three months or so a big number come in for aged care. So death data is a very very lagging indicator of anything. 

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Anecdotally I’ve heard of several people with Covid in the last week after none for several weeks. Our ref has just dropped below 1 though so theoretically should be getting less. 

Yeah it's so hard to tell now that the numbers either aren't being reported or aren't being reported in a meaningful accurate way. I went to a restaurant yday after the hospital, but it was at a weird time and only one other person there, so I wasn't worried. I still won't sit in a busy restaurant although I do feel we're at a lull at the moment. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this link has been posted here or not, but I have very much enjoyed the connections I have made through this group: CovidIsntOver . I have lost most of my irl friends due to my unwillingness to succumb to the peer pressure to pretend that everything is normal, and the groups on this site have been a lifeline for connection with others who understand. I thought some here might find it helpful as well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

How’s your reporting? Deaths here in my state of Aus are typically being reported monthly now when they reconcile data, and every three months or so a big number come in for aged care. So death data is a very very lagging indicator of anything. 

The information is coming from our state's hospital association which receives reports of deaths daily (or as they happen). The head of the association reported zero deaths in our state from COVID in the last 4 days. 

I don't think we get backlogs of stats due to so few people getting seriously ill--unlike in past surges. So it's easier to keep up with.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

My parents finally got covid, and my dad is crazy sick.   ☹️ Unfortunately, my mom has Alzheimers and my dad is the primary caregiver and they live independently with no external help.  They are 84 and 81. My sisters and I are running around trying to figure out what to do because my dad at first refused to see a doctor.  When he finally did they found his O2 at 91%, that he had strep, and that he was taking paxlovid with some other meds that were a bad combination (He had them prophylactively  prescribed him him a year ago, so had them in his house). I have been trying to call him all day, and my sister got a hold of him only to find out he was throwing up which is why he was not picking up the phone. Not a good day. 

• Sad 18

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

My parents finally got covid, and my dad is crazy sick.   ☹️ Unfortunately, my mom has Alzheimers and my dad is the primary caregiver and they live independently with no external help.  They are 84 and 81. My sisters and I are running around trying to figure out what to do because my dad at first refused to see a doctor.  When he finally did they found his O2 at 91%, that he had strep, and that he was taking paxlovid with some other meds that were a bad combination (He had them prophylactively  prescribed him him a year ago, so had them in his house). I have been trying to call him all day, and my sister got a hold of him only to find out he was throwing up which is why he was not picking up the phone. Not a good day. 

Oh I am so sorry your parents have covid.  Your poor dad.   And with your mom's condition on top of it.  I hope they are ok. I hope your dad gets better quickly.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, lewelma said:

That sounds miserable. I am so sorry he is sick. I know you must be worried. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Anecdotally I’ve heard of several people with Covid in the last week after none for several weeks. 

I’m hearing the same here. 

2 hours ago, popmom said:

The information is coming from our state's hospital association which receives reports of deaths daily (or as they happen). The head of the association reported zero deaths in our state from COVID in the last 4 days. 

I don't think we get backlogs of stats due to so few people getting seriously ill--unlike in past surges. So it's easier to keep up with.

I thought deaths were always a lagging indicator and not reported immediately, but rather were backfilled to the dates they occurred. Is that not the case? (plus the fact that when people do succumb to Covid, it typically is a fairly lengthy illness, not a short one). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KSera said:

I thought deaths were always a lagging indicator and not reported immediately, but rather were backfilled to the dates they occurred. Is that not the case? (plus the fact that when people do succumb to Covid, it typically is a fairly lengthy illness, not a short one). 

I will email the reporter and ask where the stats come from. Ramsey Archibald has been a consistently reliable source of info throughout the pandemic. He quoted the head of the hospital association as saying, “The variant doesn’t seem to be in any way more serious than previous variants,” he said. “Looking back over the past three or four days, we’ve not had any deaths over those days.”

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KSera said:

Email sent. I'll let you know if I get a response. It's becoming more and more difficult to find the stats that I'm most interested in.

21 hours ago, lewelma said:

How are your parents going? That sounds just awful - I assume you're in a different country from them?

57 minutes ago, bookbard said:

How are your parents going? That sounds just awful - I assume you're in a different country from them?

Paxlovid to the rescue. Dad is doing great -- he quit throwing up at about 10pm last night, and the strep throat is not quite a sore with the antibiotics.  Mom has an iron constitution so she has had snivels for 2 days and now is on the mend.  So all is well. Thanks for asking. And yes, it is very hard to be an 22 hour flight away. 

• Like 22

4 hours ago, lewelma said:

Paxlovid to the rescue. Dad is doing great -- he quit throwing up at about 10pm last night, and the strep throat is not quite a sore with the antibiotics.  Mom has an iron constitution so she has had snivels for 2 days and now is on the mend.  So all is well. Thanks for asking. And yes, it is very hard to be an 22 hour flight away. 

Wonderful update!!  Yay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lewelma said:

I am so glad to hear that his suffering has some relief! For your parents sake and yours! Thank you for updating us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, that's a scary story, but believable. So I was chatting to the head of the fire brigade today about the strong anti-fire fighter sentiment after the fires here. Which moved into anti-medical sentiment once Covid hit. Not by thinking people, of course, but people who are ruled by their amygdalae. Anything reminding them of fires was bad - like the fire fighters. Anything reminding them of Covid makes them stressed - like masks.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Three area hospitals have a lot of Covid among patients and staff, and have reinstated masking(but not really enforcing it). Personally I know several people who have had Covid the last few weeks on rounds 3 or 4 of it.  They are all vaccinated and boostered.  Fortunately my area has not had any Covid deaths and there is only one Covid patient in ICU, so more widespread but doesn’t seem to be severe.  The people I know who had Covid this round though are saying it is lingering. One person had it a month ago and still is having mild symptoms.

• Sad 7

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

If that was the Great Hearts on Ingram Rd., that’d be Great Hearts Western Hills on the southwest end of town. It’s considered a poorer area. There are several Great Hearts schools across SA—they are the classical charter schools in town that also use Singapore Math. The school districts mentioned in SA that explicitly allow masking are in richer and whiter areas—NEISD and NISD—the N standing for North. 

Great Hearts has long been controversial for a number of reasons: forbidding trans students, forbidding natural/ethnic hairstyles, and firing a teacher for wearing a Black Lives Matter mask (that was also at the Western Hills location).

• Sad 5

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That is excellent. I think it threads the needle between debating and just stating correct scientific information that leads to good policy for when we have an almost certain flu pandemic sooner than later. It’s holding people accountable to evidence with* finger pointing or starting with policy arguments right out of the gate. Some policy is there, but it’s presented as if it says something as non-controversial as “people should walk on the floor instead of the ceiling because gravity.”

If this could be accepted in a matter of fact manner by infectious disease people at every hospital and every medical training program, it would go a LONG way to weed out idiotic antivaxers who want to pretend to be real healthcare workers.

It’s likely the closest thing we could get to a postmortem on Covid response and might be more practical than that in our current climate.

*oops, without

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I can’t read the article, but good for them for setting an example!

You can read about it here. Looks like this college is taking it very seriously....https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2023/08/22/morris-brown-college-reinstates-mask-mandate-due-rise-on-campus-covid-cases/

And also - that college outbreak must be really bad for them to go back to all those restrictions. Or their admin is very wise. 

• Like 2

Article today about the rise in Invasive Strep A since Covid lockdowns ended in Australia. It links to the study, which clearly states that Covid, rather than lockdowns, is the likely cause of the sudden rise (there was no rise in cases until after Australia opened up and Covid began to spread widely). I do find it interesting that even The Guardian refuses to use the word 'Covid' in the article. 

Cases of flesh-eating invasive strep A bacteria surge in Australian children | Health | The Guardian

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Article today about the rise in Invasive Strep A since Covid lockdowns ended in Australia. It links to the study, which clearly states that Covid, rather than lockdowns, is the likely cause of the sudden rise (there was no rise in cases until after Australia opened up and Covid began to spread widely). I do find it interesting that even The Guardian refuses to use the word 'Covid' in the article. 

Cases of flesh-eating invasive strep A bacteria surge in Australian children | Health | The Guardian

I just came to post this. Guardian is still one of the more realistic sources as far as not totally avoiding Covid.