Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read the article yet, but I like to post things before I lose them, lol! This is from an autoimmune support group on FB (for antiphospholipid syndrome).

📢 Exciting findings on COVID-19 and pre-existing conditions! A study in Clinical Infectious Diseases analysed data from over 2.4 million adults with autoimmune diseases (AI) or immunosuppressant (IS) treatment. Here's what they discovered:
🔬 Patients with AI were 21% more likely to be hospitalised, while those with IS exposure had a 19% higher risk. Shockingly, individuals with both conditions had a 31% increased likelihood of hospitalisation.
😱 The impact of AI and IS on COVID-19 severity was significant. Patients with AI had a 13% greater chance of developing life-threatening COVID-19, and those with IS exposure faced a 27% higher risk. If someone had both conditions, their risk skyrocketed by 35%.
🌡️ On a positive note, the use of antiviral medications showed protective effects against severe disease and hospitalisation. Additionally, exposure to tumour necrosis factor inhibitors helped reduce the risk of severe COVID-19 outcomes.
⚠️ Keep in mind, though, that this study had some limitations. It had a retrospective design, limited patient medical history data, and incomplete vaccination information.
💪 These findings provide valuable insights into the connection between AI, IS, and COVID-19 severity. Researchers believe this study is the most comprehensive analysis to date. Understanding these risks can help us better protect vulnerable populations.
Source: Clinical Infectious Diseases, National COVID Cohort Collaborative (N3C) database. #COVID19 #AutoimmuneDisease #Immunosuppressant #ResearchUpdate

• Like 4

People’s CDC COVID-19 Weather Report: July 10, 2023 (substack.com)

We know that Long COVID can damage every organ in the body. It’s been shown to increase rates of stroke, heart attack, diabetes, dementia, infertility, and a whole host of other problems. 

Some new research found increased herpes virus (including HSV-1 and EBV, the virus that causes mono) reactivation in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long COVID. It also suggests some biomarkers that may provide insight into the mechanism by which SARS-CoV-2 is causing Long Covid.

Tithi Bhattacharya, a leading scholar of Social Reproduction Theory, authored a personal reflection on the pandemic in Truthout. In the end, she says, “COVID has yielded the most stunningly pervasive gaslighting phenomenon in recent history. Willing and eager governments worldwide are abandoning citizens to a debilitating disease by one simple trick: saying it no longer exists.”

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That "Better than Nothing" article is spot on and of course quite depressing.

Has any covid-cautious/no covid family here given a thought to timing infections - as in getting infected on purpose at a time that is more convenient (say before important events like weddings or surgery, or during work/school vacations, and/or shortly after boosters)? I can't believe I am asking this...(and yes, I know protection doesn't last long).

Locally, wastewater shows signs of a steep ascent - not sure if it is just a July4th bounce, or another wave about to start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom_to3 said:

Has any covid-cautious/no covid family here given a thought to timing infections - as in getting infected on purpose at a time that is more convenient (say before important events like weddings or surgery, or during work/school vacations, and/or shortly after boosters)? I can't believe I am asking this...(and yes, I know protection doesn't last long).

We have not. We go the other direction, in that we avoid things that would increase our risk in the lead up to something important (like getting everything via curbside pickup in the two weeks before surgery, for example). It's finally reached the point of really wearing on me to so often be "the only one" but I can't bring myself to just decide the very real risks of long term effects are low enough to stop avoiding it as long as I can. I'm disappointed there's nothing better on the horizon that could be a game changer for this fall. I'd really like to not mask for social situations this year. I don't care about doing it for errands, but it kind of sucks in social situations at this point, especially in situations where I'm the only one.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KSera said:

We have not. We go the other direction, in that we avoid things that would increase our risk in the lead up to something important (like getting everything via curbside pickup in the two weeks before surgery, for example). It's finally reached the point of really wearing on me to so often be "the only one" but I can't bring myself to just decide the very real risks of long term effects are low enough to stop avoiding it as long as I can. I'm disappointed there's nothing better on the horizon that could be a game changer for this fall. I'd really like to not mask for social situations this year. I don't care about doing it for errands, but it kind of sucks in social situations at this point, especially in situations where I'm the only one.

I won't say 'we', as it is mostly me, but I am trying to avoid any future infections out of fear of effects - heart, neurological etc. My kids still haven't had it. I actually know a number of people where we live who haven't had it as yet (we're semi-rural). So it isn't a lost cause. I also feel like you could catch covid before an event, but it's all the other things out there now - flu, rsv, random viruses - the only one to prevent all of them is to mask, which I do almost all the time. But my husband and kids won't, so it just reduces it a bit - better than nothing I guess. 

We are bang in the middle of winter and all we hear about it is the flu, but far more people are dying of covid. The health officer actually said last week that flu was more serious than covid right now - even though covid numbers are heaps higher. It is so so weird. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, KSera said:

Same.  We are not at all timing infections. I am still trying to avoid things.  Covid and all the things.

We still mask in some situations, but it is getting harder and harder to be the only ones doing it.  So sadly I am letting my kids do it less and less. I am not comfortable with it.   It is really sad to me to read and know what is going on and know that there isn't going to be much in the way to protect my family.  So we are masking in certain situations, letting go of masks in others, will get any boosters we can, vitamins, and nasal spray.   If there is anything else we could do I would do it too.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Same.  We are not at all timing infections. I am still trying to avoid things.  Covid and all the things.

We still mask in some situations, but it is getting harder and harder to be the only ones doing it.  So sadly I am letting my kids do it less and less. I am not comfortable with it.   It is really sad to me to read and know what is going on and know that there isn't going to be much in the way to protect my family.  So we are masking in certain situations, letting go of masks in others, will get any boosters we can, vitamins, and nasal spray.   If there is anything else we could do I would do it too.  

This is us, too.

We don’t always mask in extended family social situations any more, but we try to keep things outside. We try to use our judgment in each situation, but it’s more and more uncomfortable (for us) to mask all the time — we are literally the only ones in our area.

We will be doing a month-long road trip soon, and flying to get there: we will mask on the plane, and in crowded situations, and we will decide the rest as we go. It will be extremely hot, so not sure yet.

What kind of nasal sprays are best, do you think?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 12:27 AM, bookbard said:

I see a fair bit of discussion on twitter about it. I occasionally use Flo travel nasal spray which has carrageenan in it. (Efficacy of a Nasal Spray Containing Iota-Carrageenan in the Postexposure Prophylaxis of COVID-19 in Hospital Personnel Dedicated to Patients Care with COVID-19 Disease - PMC (nih.gov))

I think the Enovid uses nitric oxide (which is why some scientists are cautious about longterm use). Here is a discussion which cites research: 

This study uses an iodine base: Study finds nasal spray could aid battle against COVID (uwa.edu.au)

The Finnish one uses some new kind of molecule: Finnish Researchers Develop Nasal Spray That Protects against COVID | Inside Precision Medicine

I do think that 'user error' will be a huge thing with nasal sprays. It's actually tricky to get it into the right spot! 

Bumping this for @Spryte

• Thanks 2

Thanks! Whew. The enovid is expensive! I opened the link thinking we’d buy one for each of us to take on our trip and use preventively, but $500 for nasal sprays — ouch.

We have used Xlear and Nozzin, but no idea if either are effective.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bookbard said:

I actually know a number of people where we live who haven't had it as yet (we're semi-rural). So it isn't a lost cause. I also feel like you could catch covid before an event, but it's all the other things out there now - flu, rsv, random viruses - the only one to prevent all of them is to mask, which I do almost all the time. But my husband and kids won't, so it just reduces it a bit - better than nothing I guess. 

I am semi-urban (more urban than suburban). I also know many who hasn’t had it yet, mainly because they don’t want their school age kids or grandchildren to get it so they are more cautious than typical.
My husband prefers not to mask but would mask for flu season when entering Asian supermarkets because the Japanese and Koreans would so its kind of being polite. My kids have never stopped masking because one kid gets hay fever easily and the other kid just don’t like to be sick. Their community college strongly encourage masking and students have to mask for office hours (tiny room) if their teacher request them to. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Thanks! Whew. The enovid is expensive! I opened the link thinking we’d buy one for each of us to take on our trip and use preventively, but $500 for nasal sprays — ouch.

We have used Xlear and Nozzin, but no idea if either are effective.

We have too.  I wish I knew if they were effective.

• Like 2

It is very frustrating when you take precaution but others in your house do not. It is how I got it. Someone here wasn't masking and going and sitting in bar type environments for hours then tried to claim "allergies". I probably would have been OK given the improvements to our ventilation had I not had my significant health issues that resulted in me having to lay down on the couch to rest after they had been laying on it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, KSera said:

Ditto. 

Does anyone know what the current science is on not masking outside in social situations? After I recovered from Covid, we went to a gathering with 70-80 of our closest family, friends, and strangers that was mostly outside and had minimal indoors until a storm hit, then everyone was inside.

We were the only ones who masked and we only masked inside and took them off outside. I am still unsure if not masking outside was the right thing to do or not. 

It's hot outside which makes masking very uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SHP said:

Does anyone know what the current science is on not masking outside in social situations? After I recovered from Covid, we went to a gathering with 70-80 of our closest family, friends, and strangers that was mostly outside and had minimal indoors until a storm hit, then everyone was inside.

We were the only ones who masked and we only masked inside and took them off outside. I am still unsure if not masking outside was the right thing to do or not. 

It's hot outside which makes masking very uncomfortable. 

I don't know the current science, but we don't mask outdoors unless we're going to be right on top of people (lots of hugging or closed in for pictures) or in a semi-enclosed area without good airflow. 

If it's family vs. strangers, I'm less worried because most people know that we're being super cautious and know that we have a vulnerable family member, and I think they would keep their distance if they thought they might be sick. But I might be naive--we know a couple where the DH has been immune compromised and had serious health issues for years, and they are not given space by their family, so who knows?

But many of my family members have had heart-to-heart conversations about it with us, and when they realize what's up, they are very nice about things.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SHP said:

Does anyone know what the current science is on not masking outside in social situations?

So, I think the main idea is that if Covid hangs about in the air, you're heaps safer outside (sort of like how flowing water is safer than still!) But if someone coughs in your face, being outside won't save you. In the early days of Covid in Australia where they tracked every case, there were a couple of cases of people catching it while eating outdoors several tables away - the wind had carried the germs in a particular direction. 

Short version - it's a lot safer outside, but it's still possible to catch it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

Ditto. 

In terms of timing infections, I was mostly thinking about settings where catching covid for a covid-naive person is quite likely (say surgery/hospital stays, or repeated dentist visits in a setting with a high background noise of covid and the recent lack of masking in health care settings); and when catching covid by dropping precautions a month prior, say, may be more convenient (no school/work etc in case of extended illness or the need for further care for one or more of us). 

31 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

In terms of timing infections, I was mostly thinking about settings where catching covid for a covid-naive person is quite likely (say surgery/hospital stays, or repeated dentist visits in a setting with a high background noise of covid and the recent lack of masking in health care settings); and when catching covid by dropping precautions a month prior, say, may be more convenient (no school/work etc in case of extended illness or the need for further care for one or more of us). 

The weird thing is - you can't predict it. So I had two people in the car with me for an hour who tested positive the next day - none of us caught it. My friend's daughter caught it at a completely outdoor event. I've been going to the dentist and there's no precautions, never caught it. Another person caught it from someone walking past them outdoors! I just think you hope for the best. There was an article about this woman in Australia who has tested positive 10 times, went to the immunologist who basically said 'bad luck for you'. And another article about a woman who has never caught it but has never masked or anything. There's a huge element of luck about it all, so all you can do is do your best and accept that if you have to take risks such as surgery or whatever, well, you do what you've got to do. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

I agree with bookbard that it’s unpredictable. 

Also, I can’t imagine willingly taking the risks, and it does carry risk, before an important event. I don’t think something like a Covid lollipop is a good idea, even if you could guarantee who would catch it in your household (I’m not that in favor of chicken pox lollipops and parties, either, to be fair). The outcome feels unpredictable with potential complications and long Covid, etc.

FWIW, I have not had Covid, nor has anyone in my house (immune compromised people here), but we’ve had hospitalizations and surgeries, outpatient procedures, dental work, work conferences and meetings that mean unmasking, international travel, goodness, so much risk. Before those events we tend to double down on caution, and there’s been an element of luck, too.

I would worry that catching it a month before an event could lead to a poor experience with the event, too. Or who knows — a chain of bad events if people in the family slowly fall like dominos. Especially if you have older people or immune comped people in your life (I know you all know that my FIL caught Covid in March, and passed from complications two months later, but I just need to reiterate that it can still be serious).

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 4

21 hours ago, Spryte said:

I would worry that catching it a month before an event could lead to a poor experience with the event, too. Or who knows — a chain of bad events if people in the family slowly fall like dominos.

That's a really good point!

Oh, goodness, I wouldn't try to time an infection. That presumes that you: 1. would contract it when exposed, 2. would recover quickly, and 3. have no after effects from covid. 

We are living largely normal lives now---even with a lot of medical and dental appointments---we just mask whenever we possibly can.

As I've stated elsewhere on the boards, I picked up covid from outdoor dining. The rest of the family was with me at the same meal, and it's no surprise to me that as an immunocompromised person that I became sick and the rest of my family did not....vulnerable people being more vulnerable and all that. So, I do still mask even in outdoor situations if anyone is within 6 feet of me. 

We're all still masking in indoor situations, except dh at the very occasional inside work dinner.  We sleep in separate bedrooms for several days after those, and both run HEPA filters. 

The only other one of us who has had covid is still dealing with long covid. 

I agree I see a large drop-off in masking generally, even among people who were previously cautious, but I still see others masked on nearly every outing I make. I also appreciate when people ask if I would prefer if they masked around me. It's so very kind. People can make whatever choices they like, but statistically I am safer in a N95, so I wear one. 

---

In-N-Out has strong conservative ties. The Snyder family who founded the business are religiously and politically conservative and fund anti-LGBTQ and anti-abortion political campaigns in addition to running a private ministry called Army of Love. https://www.focusonthefamily.com/marriage/in-n-out-burger-owner-and-husband-grateful-to-be-serving-god-together/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Numbers now wildly inaccurate in Australia as Victoria no longer records covid numbers outside PCR tests (which are only available when ordered by a Dr, so they've only recorded 500 cases - NSW, comparable in size, has around 3,000). Just saw a headline, 'only 2 covid cases recorded in Bendigo!' - it's so misleading.

Still 119 deaths across the country, unmentioned by the media, although the handful of flu deaths have been front page news. I don't know the last time an Australian politician mentioned the word covid.

• Sad 3

People’s CDC COVID-19 Weather Report: July 17, 2023 (substack.com)

Wastewater levels are now increasing in every region of the United States for the first time in months, with the national average increasing for a second week straight. Alarm bells should be ringing as the data are clear: across the country, surges are happening this summer, and we need to do everything we can to protect ourselves and each other, especially in the face of massive gaslighting by our institutions and our own communities. As we take such action, know that you are not alone: we are in this together.

Title reads “COVID-19 Wastewater Levels As of July 12, 2023.” A map of the United States in the upper right corner serves as a key. The West is green, Midwest is purple, South is pink, and Northeast is orange. A graph on the bottom is titled “Wastewater: Effective SARS-CoV-2 virus concentration (copies / mL of sewage).” The line graph shows dates between June 4, 2023 and July 9, 2023 with regional virus concentrations plateauing through late May into mid June, but rising in every region from late June into early July. A key on the right side states concentration as of July 12, 2023: 264 copies / mL (Northeast), 146 copies / mL (Midwest), 270 copies / mL (South), and 263 copies / mL (West).

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Jetelina's take apparently doesn't include the same look at the metrics from OK Doomer, that's for sure!

She does take a look at why the trends aren't coupled though. 

Locally, hospitals are filling up, and a pretty good chunk of it is Covid. 

• Sad 3

Sadly, an older lady I know (late 60s?) has ended up moving in with her daughter - I assume so closer to medical care than we are - after just not recovering at all from covid. She had Paxlovid, and she wasn't hospitalised, but she just isn't getting better - the breathlessness and exhaustion. It's been really demoralising for her.

I keep hearing coughing everywhere but I haven't seen another person masking in public for a long time (and we're in winter). I definitely get stared at, luckily I really don't care. 

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

Jetelina's take apparently doesn't include the same look at the metrics from OK Doomer, that's for sure!

Yes, I'm really worried about the whole comparing excess deaths to the early covid years thing. Of course, they'll have to wait a bit in Australia as we had lower than usual deaths in 2020-2021 due to lockdowns (decreased deaths from respiratory and from there heart and other things) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I wish I could share this with people, but she talks about the lying media, and in my state/context, that will just drive more people toward conspiracies. 

She doesn't label either axis on this graph. Do you know what the labels for each axis should be? I assume the y axis is number of deaths. Is the x axis the week of the year assigned a number value? 

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8f4bdd24-4957-4631-be52-5e1dffca9ce7_1548x958.png

• Like 2