Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

My 12 year old had a panic attack when she got her first Covid shot. She slid off of the stool and lost consciousness. She could hear our pharmacist saying, “She is having a panic attack.” but thought she was dreaming. Once she woke up, she could tell me that her arm didn’t even hurt, but she couldn’t stop shaking and crying out. Fortunately, I have seen allergic reactions, so it didn’t even occur to me that she was having one. Otherwise, I might have been having a panic attack of my own! 

The next day, she had another one at swim practice where she felt her eyesight going dim, and it felt like her teammates were pushing in on her. We got her an appointment with a pediatric psychiatrist, and she has started antidepressants. 

So, yes, I do think that shots can be more stressful than just a pinch for some kids, but that isn’t going to stop me from taking her to get her second shot next week.  I know that the potential risk from the shot is still much less than the potential risk from her getting sick with Covid. 

As a reward for getting her second shot, we are going to let her skip a week of school and practice to visit one of her adult sisters and have “cooking camp” with her. 

My 15 year old got a $50 card in the mail for getting her vaccine. I don’t know if it was a drawing, because her friends didn’t get one. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Yeah that, too. It’s like you are signing up for boosters in the process. Not the same as an annual shot. 

As I said before dd had an awful shot experience with the strep shot. I’m not sure traumatic is the right word but she has brought it up months later. She was in a lot of pain for at least a week. It hurt to walk. And she is due to get fillings soon and might have to get shots. I’m mad they are not able to do it all in one visit but said based on the parts of the mouth they are separating the appointments. They will try a topical numbing agent first in place of a shot (gas wasn’t listed as the alternative). Now we are pushing the flossing. Her teeth are very crowded and they think flossing was the big reason behind it. So anyway just dreading possible shots scheduled for her. 

A word of comfort on the dental work--I recently had to have extensive dental stuff, and the topical numbing gel was amazing. No shots. And good for you for pushing flossing--it's a game changer.

As far as boosters--we have many vaccines that are multiple shots. There should be an expectation that the first few years of a pandemic is a wild ride. What happens now while infection levels are so high is not what the long-term routine will be. The only way to get this to calm down is to continue using the medical and behavioral options available for mitigation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

Oh I think an annual shot won't concern me.  I just keep reading about boosters in a short amount of time, such as now they are being considered for the 12-15 age group.  

If your kids get their first shot next week, and the second shot in early February, then they would have decent protection for the rest of the spring and into summer, when cases will hopefully be much lower. And then by the time they would be eligible for a booster, in August, we will likely have an annual shot that either includes multiple variants or is some sort of pan-coronavirus shot.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

My 12 year old had a panic attack when she got her first Covid shot. She slid off of the stool and lost consciousness. She could hear our pharmacist saying, “She is having a panic attack.” but thought she was dreaming. Once she woke up, she could tell me that her arm didn’t even hurt, but she couldn’t stop shaking and crying out. Fortunately, I have seen allergic reactions, so it didn’t even occur to me that she was having one. Otherwise, I might have been having a panic attack of my own! 

The next day, she had another one at swim practice where she felt her eyesight going dim, and it felt like her teammates were pushing in on her. We got her an appointment with a pediatric psychiatrist, and she has started antidepressants. 

So, yes, I do think that shots can be more stressful than just a pinch for some kids, but that isn’t going to stop me from taking her to get her second shot next week.  I know that the potential risk from the shot is still much less than the potential risk from her getting sick with Covid. 

As a reward for getting her second shot, we are going to let her skip a week of school and practice to visit one of her adult sisters and have “cooking camp” with her. 

My 15 year old got a $50 card in the mail for getting her vaccine. I don’t know if it was a drawing, because her friends didn’t get one. 

Aww I love the idea of a reward. I could do something like that. I am going to discuss it with stbx again. We have joint legal custody. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I had a visceral reaction when my son had blood drawn and I was in the hospital room. I’m an HSP (and/or empath). Plus new vaccines wig me out a little (no long-term studies). Not sure how pointless the vaccine is for dd at this point - that’s what’s bugging me the most. But also the mom guilt of pushing for something the kid is adamantly against and not knowing if it’s even worthwhile. 

Sounds like the dental stuff was less optional than the vaccines. 

That was me with my son.  😞  Also, our risky time will come next spring/summer---we stay in a cabin for a week but do a night in a hotel. Everyone (but me) requires an indoor swimming pool on this extended family vacation.  So I could get them shots.  Will a booster be available by the time we do that?  Probably I imagine. The vaccine likely will have waned.  Ugh.  Obviously vaccinating as many as possible was the hope to end this, but it doesn't seem to be going away, and some will even take one shot.

2 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

Are they really sure it was a panic attack?  It sounds more like a possible vagal response, especially if she doesn’t really have a history of anxiety attacks.  One of my sisters passes out every single time she’s had an injection, and it’s an overactive vagal response.  I did almost a thousand Covid shots and had several patients who passed out, but it wasn’t panic.

Just might be something to check into.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

Did your doctors consider vasovagal syncope? I ask because my daughter and my husband are both prone to them. They look like a fainting fit or panic attack or even like a seizure. (My loved ones have presented with all three at different times.)

The answer is twofold if that is the case--one is to have shots or blood draws laying down (preventive) and the other is to lay down with the feet raised above the head when it hits. Doing so normalizes blood pressure very quickly (and symptoms go away), whereas if you do not raise the feet then it can take hours to feel better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

If your kids get their first shot next week, and the second shot in early February, then they would have decent protection for the rest of the spring and into summer, when cases will hopefully be much lower. And then by the time they would be eligible for a booster, in August, we will likely have an annual shot that either includes multiple variants or is some sort of pan-coronavirus shot.

I have been confused if even two recent vaccines would help against Omicron, but that is helpful to think.  I keep hoping for what you anticipate by August.  I've read various things in the works, but sometimes I feel hopeless it will come to fruition any time soon.  Our risky time is in Spring/Summer when we take a vacation with our extended family.  I'd skip it, but I basically have to go, lol.  There is a night in a hotel on our way up and one on the way back.

Edited by KrisTom

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Are they really sure it was a panic attack?  It sounds more like a possible vagal response, especially if she doesn’t really have a history of anxiety attacks.  One of my sisters passes out every single time she’s had an injection, and it’s an overactive vagal response.  I did almost a thousand Covid shots and had several patients who passed out, but it wasn’t panic.

Yes. I have had the Vagal response. I told her that when that happens to me, I wet my pants when I pass out, so she is at least lucky that she missed that part! 

I was already playing phone tag with the psychiatrist before this happened because of her increasing anxiety and depression, but that is a really good point. I was happy that it happened in front of our family pharmacist, because he was able to confirm what I was seeing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We posted almost at the same time. Great minds think alike...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

Did your doctors consider vasovagal syncope? I ask because my daughter and my husband are both prone to them. They look like a fainting fit or panic attack or even like a seizure. (My loved ones have presented with all three at different times.)

The answer is twofold if that is the case--one is to have shots or blood draws laying down (preventive) and the other is to lay down with the feet raised above the head when it hits. Doing so normalizes blood pressure very quickly (and symptoms go away), whereas if you do not raise the feet then it can take hours to feel better.

When I had my first fainting at a blood draw, the people present did think I was having a seizure. I  do plan to have her lie down for the next shot, because that is helpful for me. 

Her doctors feel sure that it was related to her anxiety. She has been on Lexapro for several weeks now, and she is showing improvements already in several areas such as she has always stayed up reading until 3 or 4 am because she just could. not. sleep.  Now, she closes her eyes at bedtime and drifts right off to sleep. I imagine they will have to up her dosage in January to help her depression, but we hang to try a full 6 weeks on the lowest dosage before increasing it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

42 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I get this and my ds3 does too.  I have to get stitches out on Monday and a friend recommended I ask for xanax before my appt.  My doctor prescribed one .25 mg tablet for me to take before my appt.  I'm hesitant to take it because I'm on crutches and don't know how I'll react to the xanax but I hate that feeling - it's so uncomfortable (and embarrassing).  

• Like 3

We went to dd's city for Christmas. Ds tested negative before heading home from university, but once he got home, he developed congestion, a slight headache, and couldn't smell. We assumed the lack of smelling was due to his congestion.

We arrived to dd's city on the 23rd. DD tested positive the day after Christmas following 2 negative tests, all rapid done at home. A pcr test confirmed positivity. She had been having mild symptoms and opted not to stay overnights with the rest of the family, but we'd travelled together in cars. Our 3 other young adults, one a former German exchange student, all left for home the next morning, either leaving all the windows open or masking in the vehicle all 15 hours home. Dh and I headed home the following day. We all tested with a rapid test on Tuesday, all negative.

Since we've been home, we've aired out the house a couple of times, worn masks inside, eaten dinner outside, and generally not spent a lot of time together. Because our young German friend needs to head home next week, we also all had pcr tests done yesterday. Of the 4 results we have, one tested positive. We're still waiting on our German friend's results. The person who tested positive is now holed up in their room. I've told them they can go outside anytime they need to get out of their room and that I will walk, masked, with them. They've insisted on maintaining 6 ft when outside walking. 

We have an air purifier, but when I mentioned putting in our friend's room, I was told he's been leaving the window open 24/7. When I suggested putting it in our positive case's room, I was asked "why" since they already had it.

Is there anything else we can do to ensure travel for our friend? He's had a rough time of it. His girlfriend was supposed to come out for a visit and fly back with him. She flew to Minnesota instead to visit with her former exchange family. (They were initially supposed to come out this summer, then cancelled due to Covid, so they had a year to use the tickets. They're both in school and couldn't come at a different time of the year. I'd suggested she cancel her flight after Christmas altogether, but was told she would lose about 500 Euros.)

Our positive case was supposed to head back to school this Wed. With the new CDC guidelines, they could still travel on that day. They currently have no symptoms; the symptoms from arriving home resolved before Christmas. However, their roommate isn't vaxxed and many of roommate's friends aren't, either. So they will head to the university the weekend before classes start, leaving very little time to prepare for classes. I appreciate their concern, but told them that at some point, they will need to stop compensating for roomie's decisions. They're not ready to do that yet. (I'm using plural pronouns because I don't want to identify which child this is.)

Positive dd's symptoms seemed to resolve before the positive test, but are getting slightly worse. I'm very thankful our 2 positive cases can share experiences via Duo.

Is there anything else I can do to help our friend or our adult child?

Edited by wilrunner
All of us have been double vaxxed. 2 had boosters a couple of months ago, 2 had boosters 2 weeks ago today, and one isn't eligible for a booster yet.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

We went to dd's city for Christmas. Ds tested negative before heading home from university, but once he got home, he developed congestion, a slight headache, and couldn't smell. We assumed the lack of smelling was due to his congestion.

We arrived to dd's city on the 23rd. DD tested positive the day after Christmas following 2 negative tests, all rapid done at home. A pcr test confirmed positivity. She had been having mild symptoms and opted not to stay overnights with the rest of the family, but we'd travelled together in cars. Our 3 other young adults, one a former German exchange student, all left for home the next morning, either leaving all the windows open or masking in the vehicle all 15 hours home. Dh and I headed home the following day. We all tested with a rapid test on Tuesday, all negative.

Since we've been home, we've aired out the house a couple of times, worn masks inside, eaten dinner outside, and generally not spent a lot of time together. Because our young German friend needs to head home next week, we also all had pcr tests done yesterday. Of the 4 results we have, one tested positive. We're still waiting on our German friend's results. The person who tested positive is now holed up in their room. I've told them they can go outside anytime they need to get out of their room and that I will walk, masked, with them. They've insisted on maintaining 6 ft when outside walking. 

We have an air purifier, but when I mentioned putting in our friend's room, I was told he's been leaving the window open 24/7. When I suggested putting it in our positive case's room, I was asked "why" since they already had it.

Is there anything else we can do to ensure travel for our friend? He's had a rough time of it. His girlfriend was supposed to come out for a visit and fly back with him. She flew to Minnesota instead to visit with her former exchange family. (They were initially supposed to come out this summer, then cancelled due to Covid, so they had a year to use the tickets. They're both in school and couldn't come at a different time of the year. I'd suggested she cancel her flight after Christmas altogether, but was told she would lose about 500 Euros.)

Our positive case was supposed to head back to school this Wed. With the new CDC guidelines, they could still travel on that day. They currently have no symptoms; the symptoms from arriving home resolved before Christmas. However, their roommate isn't vaxxed and many of roommate's friends aren't, either. So they will head to the university the weekend before classes start, leaving very little time to prepare for classes. I appreciate their concern, but told them that at some point, they will need to stop compensating for roomie's decisions. They're not ready to do that yet. (I'm using plural pronouns because I don't want to identify which child this is.)

Positive dd's symptoms seemed to resolve before the positive test, but are getting slightly worse. I'm very thankful our 2 positive cases can share experiences via Duo.

Is there anything else I can do to help our friend or our adult child?

Just one thought, but given with the caveat that I am no expert.

Viral load affects both contagion as well as illness severity. That’s why outdoor flu hospitals in tents had much better results than closed-window indoor settings in the original flu pandemic. So I would totally run that air purifier either in the affected person’s room or elsewhere in the house. I would also keep windows cracked open throughout the house and encourage the affected person and everyone else to definitely go outdoors each day.

And hugs for your stress—you’re so kind and caring for your circle. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Yeah that, too. It’s like you are signing up for boosters in the process. Not the same as an annual shot. 

As I said before dd had an awful shot experience with the strep shot. I’m not sure traumatic is the right word but she has brought it up months later. She was in a lot of pain for at least a week. It hurt to walk. And she is due to get fillings soon and might have to get shots. I’m mad they are not able to do it all in one visit but said based on the parts of the mouth they are separating the appointments. They will try a topical numbing agent first in place of a shot (gas wasn’t listed as the alternative). Now we are pushing the flossing. Her teeth are very crowded and they think flossing was the big reason behind it. So anyway just dreading possible shots scheduled for her. 

I had a really bad experience with the strep shot when I was 10. My leg hurt for years. 

No normal vaccine I've ever had has been that bad. 

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Cordelia said:

I had a really bad experience with the strep shot when I was 10. My leg hurt for years. 

Yikes!! Thank you for validating her experience and also for saying you haven’t had that type of experience with vaccines. Stbx doesn’t want to do the vaccine now though I broached the subject. 

I don’t get what’s up with that shot??? We only chose it because dd hates oral antibiotics. She hates most medicines even the new fruit punch flavor cough medicine I got recently. Dimetapp is tolerable.

• Like 1

A "strep shot" isn't a vaccine. You're talking about an intramuscular injection of an antibiotic drug/ medication -- it sounds like into the vastus lateralis muscle -- which is being used to cure or treat illness/disease. Vaccines are not medications, as they stimulate a person's own immune system to produce immunity to specific disease, and are generally administered in the deltoid muscle (except as I recall kids under 2; I don't work in peds and don't want google).

So, gently, I am not sure why her experience with an IM injection to an antibiotic is really relevant? 

ETA; Except, to the extent that if someone has a vagal response, as others have mentioned, with a previous vaccine, or a specific allergy/health condition, those are things you definitely want to mention. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I have one who had this reaction during her teen years, but has now gotten past it as a young adult. My understanding is that it is particularly common in teenagers and especially girls. I can  imagine that after having it happen the previous day, that the occurrence the next day may have been more of an anxiety attack, panic attack due to fear of it happening again. I had that happen to me multiple times in a couple weeks following a vasovagal reaction I had at the doctor’s office.  I didn’t understand what was happening initially, but once I figured out that’s what that feeling of everything going dark around the edges of my vision and feeling dizzy was, I was able to learn techniques so that it went away.

30 minutes ago, Cordelia said:

I feel old now. I wasn’t sure what strep shot you could be talking about, because I didn’t remember one, but looking it up I see that the pneumococcal vaccine was approved in 2000. I was thinking no one here would’ve been a kid in 2000, but then I realized someone who was 10 in 2000 would already be 31 now 😳

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

I feel old now. I wasn’t sure what strep shot you could be talking about, because I didn’t remember one, but looking it up I see that the pneumococcal vaccine was approved in 2000. I was thinking no one here would’ve been a kid in 2000, but then I realized someone who was 10 in 2000 would already be 31 now 😳

Oh, the Prevnar. My bad. I'm a dope. I thought she meant if they had strep. Now, you really know I don't work in peds. Lol

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KSera said:

My understanding is that it is particularly common in teenagers and especially girls.

I had so many episodes of fainting as a teen. I tend towards both low blood sugar and low blood pressure. I remember having tons of testing done because my dad wanted to make sure it wasn’t something more serious. 

Even now, I have permission to go to the nurses I know and get labs drawn through my port rather than go to Quest where I’m likely to get anxious. 

I think it is possible that a vagal response triggered the panic attack. I left this part out of the story, but the first time he tried to put the needle in, my daughter tensed up. She is tiny for her age, but she swims at least 2 hours a day and is as hard as a rock, so when she tensed up, the syringe shot across the room. I think that if that hadn’t have happened she would have probably been okay. Having to get ready again for a second poke put her over the edge. 

Our pharmacist is so great. He even offered to hire her to do some jobs around the pharmacy so that when she has to go back for her second shot, it will feel even more safe and familiar. 

I was grateful that when this happened, there were medical professionals there who were able to identify it as a panic attack. I immediately was able to get her an appointment with the pediatric psychiatrist for next month, but my daughter said, “There is no way I can wait that long!”

So I took her to her PCP who said he could tell by looking at her, plus our family history that she needed meds. 

My only point is that for some people getting a shot is no big deal. For other people, it can be very stressful, but no matter what, my kid is still getting fully vaccinated. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Amy Gen said:

I had so many episodes of fainting as a teen. I tend towards both low blood sugar and low blood pressure. I remember having tons of testing done because my dad wanted to make sure it wasn’t something more serious. 

Even now, I have permission to go to the nurses I know and get labs drawn through my port rather than go to Quest where I’m likely to get anxious. 

I think it is possible that a vagal response triggered the panic attack. I left this part out of the story, but the first time he tried to put the needle in, my daughter tensed up. She is tiny for her age, but she swims at least 2 hours a day and is as hard as a rock, so when she tensed up, the syringe shot across the room. I think that if that hadn’t have happened she would have probably been okay. Having to get ready again for a second poke put her over the edge. 

Our pharmacist is so great. He even offered to hire her to do some jobs around the pharmacy so that when she has to go back for her second shot, it will feel even more safe and familiar. 

I was grateful that when this happened, there were medical professionals there who were able to identify it as a panic attack. I immediately was able to get her an appointment with the pediatric psychiatrist for next month, but my daughter said, “There is no way I can wait that long!”

So I took her to her PCP who said he could tell by looking at her, plus our family history that she needed meds. 

My only point is that for some people getting a shot is no big deal. For other people, it can be very stressful, but no matter what, my kid is still getting fully vaccinated. 

The poor kid! I'm sorry she went through that. It sounds like an awful experience. 

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Everyone has to do what is right for their family. I try not to judge. I feel like now that there’s a vaccine for young kids people expect me to get dd vaxxed but we’ve been dragging our feet and may not do it. She’s 7 and had Covid months ago. She does not want a shot (not that everyone else loves shots). Last time she went to the dr for a shot (for strep) the jab on the leg hurt her for a week or so. It went in deep and she complained about her leg a long time. 

Since dd isn’t vaxxed I feel like people may not want to be around me. My dad also isn’t vaxxed and refuses to get one. I saw him at Christmas (he lives a few hours away) and was a little nervous about that. He had Covid months ago. 

You need to understand that choosing not to be around unvaccinated people is a choice not of judgment or snobbery but of keeping ourselves safer. (Obviously it’s not a 100% indicator of risk because there are so many factors involved, but it is one important factor). 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

An old friend (only really in touch via FB) was found unresponsive on Christmas day with COVID and pneumonia. They made the difficult decision to remove the vent today and she died.  She was a really lovely person and will be much missed.

I'm so sorry. How sad!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

My understanding is that it is particularly common in teenagers and especially girls.

That's interesting. My body has always been fine with straight shots, but in college/my early 20's I'd get that response with blood draws and TB tests (which I had to have every summer working a summer camp). Thankfully I only truly passed out once or twice before I connected the dots and figured out how to ward it off. I still always warn the nurse before a blood draw and plan to hang out for awhile after. But now that I stop and think about it, the last 5 years or so I haven't had any issues. 

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

If it helps, the shot was a total no big deal to my kids. One said he didn't even feel it - I'd taught him to count starting when it hurt until it stopped hurting, as a coping strategy. He got the shot and said, sort of angry, "mom! I couldn't even get to 1! It was over to fast!"

But mine were eager to get it. Maybe have the younger one watch the Sid the Science kid episode about vaccinations? My 4 yr old has watched it several times and now can't wait to get her Covid vaccine. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You need to understand that choosing not to be around unvaccinated people is a choice not of judgment or snobbery but of keeping ourselves safer. (Obviously it’s not a 100% indicator of risk because there are so many factors involved, but it is one important factor). 

I did not mean to imply that at all! I just meant I know people who willingly choose not to vaccinate and I try to not get angry about it. It’s hard in regards to my dad, though. It makes me want to be around him less which is not a big issue now anyway since we live a few hours apart. But he was here for a few days for Christmas.

• Like 3

Sorry for the confusion. I meant a shot because dd had strep. I wasn’t even at that dr visit but I understand why dh talked her into the shot since she hates oral medicine. And I was not trying to imply that vaccines and other shots are the same! I just meant there’s this predisposition now for her to freak about shots. 

It doesn't matter if you think it’s illogical. Some people freak out over spiders, germs, going to the dentist, you name it. I’m not just talking phobias, either. No logic in the world alleviates every person’s anxiety. That’s not how anxiety works. 

Eta: I did bring it up again today but dh shot down the idea… I don’t know what to do. We are currently in a custody battle so forcing dd to get a vaccine against her will and stbx doesn’t exactly bode well. Thank you for the reassurance that some of your kids handled the shot ok. His was the recovery the next 42 hrs? 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Sorry for the confusion. I meant a shot because dd had strep. I wasn’t even at that dr visit but I understand why dh talked her into the shot since she hates oral medicine. And I was not trying to imply that vaccines and other shots are the same! I just meant there’s this predisposition now for her to freak about shots. 

It doesn't matter if you think it’s illogical. Some people freak out over spiders, germs, going to the dentist, you name it. I’m not just talking phobias, either. No logic in the world alleviates every person’s anxiety. That’s not how anxiety works. 

Eta: I did bring it up again today but dh shot down the idea… I don’t know what to do. We are currently in a custody battle so forcing dd to get a vaccine against her will and stbx doesn’t exactly bode well. Thank you for the reassurance that some of your kids handled the shot ok. His was the recovery the next 42 hrs? 

They had no symptoms after their shots other than a sore arm. Neither even wanted ibuprofen or anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This. I have a grandson with a heart condition. So I am way covid conscientious as is DH so it is reasonably safe for us to be around him. We boostered, and now we KN95 if we have to be in a store - and we try to do as much online, drive through, delivery etc. as we can - and we do not ever go around my brother and his wife who are not vaccinated and take no precautions of any kind. Anything we can do to keep from transmitting this to our grandson, we do.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I don't know any kids that had bad reactions - the dose for kids is so low that I think most will have no real issue. 

Ahh. I know my 13 yr old felt kinda crummy after his first but I was only with him after the second shot not the first. I don’t think he felt so great after the second either but nothing major. I haven’t heard from many parents of the younger crowd (5-11). 

7 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My older son has a vagal response to vaccines. He has fallen off exam tables and out of chairs numerous times. For COVID, he was with his gf and he both fainted twice and threw up. 

• Sad 5

50 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ahh. I know my 13 yr old felt kinda crummy after his first but I was only with him after the second shot not the first. I don’t think he felt so great after the second either but nothing major. I haven’t heard from many parents of the younger crowd (5-11). 

I have 3 in the age group and they had no reaction at all.  

My kids over 12 only said for a day they had a sore arm that didn't get in the way of them doing anything.  That might have only been for one of my kids.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Stbx told me he’s taking the kids to Mass tomorrow for holy day… mind you he’s not Catholic and I informed him that the obligation was lifted this weekend since Jan 1 is so close to Sunday. He said they are going anyway. I suggested they not go because… crowds. Sigh 

I am so sorry. Parenting with him must be so stressful! Hugs. 💓

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Amy Gen said:

When I had my first fainting at a blood draw, the people present did think I was having a seizure. I  do plan to have her lie down for the next shot, because that is helpful for me. 

I had patients lie down for injections and blood draws when they were nervous or let me know they faint. And don't rush getting up and out. The man I've mentioned before that made it to the counter, was handed his bill and then passed out. He laughed later. I hope it goes better for your dd next round.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Yikes!! Thank you for validating her experience and also for saying you haven’t had that type of experience with vaccines. Stbx doesn’t want to do the vaccine now though I broached the subject. 

I don’t get what’s up with that shot??? We only chose it because dd hates oral antibiotics. She hates most medicines even the new fruit punch flavor cough medicine I got recently. Dimetapp is tolerable.

Antibiotic shots are notoriously painful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Antibiotic shots are notoriously painful. 

Yes, and I can see how having had a bad experience could lead to more anxiety about shots.

Our shot experiences: DS 17 didn’t even feel his three shots go in. He had a slightly sore arm for a few days after the second and third. IIRC.

DD10 is very nervous about shots, but was so excited to get the Covid vaccine because it was like a get out of jail free card. We made a huge happy deal out of it, lots of rewards. Bakery, day off school, new stuffie, plans for sleepovers. She didn’t really feel either shot, it was a huge non-issue. She had a slightly sore arm after the first, and she ran a low grade temp after the second.

All of that said, though, I can’t imagine trying to co-parent through this with a custody battle going and disagreements about what to do and how to handle things. So much is out of your hands! We can all just do the best we can, with what we have to work with, which might mean doing your best to minimize the kids’ exposure until the x sees the light, when that’s the case, for someone in heart’s position. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

I haven’t read through all the posts.

I am close to 2 elderly people who will never get the shot. I know of more in this situation but those are too old at this point to get the shot per doctors opinions (shots may do more harm). Is the data showing that omicron is more infectious but less deadly? I read today that it does not damage the lungs at much as delta. And our area is 80% vaxed.

Is it too early to have that data?

26 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I am close to 2 elderly people who will never get the shot. I know of more in this situation but those are too old at this point to get the shot per doctors opinions (shots may do more harm). Is the data showing that omicron is more infectious but less deadly? I read today that it does not damage the lungs at much as delta. And our area is 80% vaxed.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been hearing. Contagious but less severe. 

3 hours ago, Starr said:

I had patients lie down for injections and blood draws when they were nervous or let me know they faint. And don't rush getting up and out. The man I've mentioned before that made it to the counter, was handed his bill and then passed out. He laughed later. I hope it goes better for your dd next round.

Laughing because I’m sure he implied the bill caused him to pass out. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

There is a study from Canada showing about 50pc reduction in hospitalisations.  It was very small but cohort matched so they controlled for vaccination status etc. Ukhsa latest report estimates 60-70pc less severity which is good news.  There’s some concern about higher hospitalisation in young kids but not clear if that’s as a percentage of cases or just because we’re getting so many cases that more are showing up at hospitals. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268382v1

• Like 1