Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

15 hours ago, KSera said:

I’m sorry! I agree with Laura to keep testing for several days. I’m hearing a lot of cases with omicron where rapid tests aren’t positive until day 2 or 3 of symptoms. Which is odd to think what the mechanism is there. There seems to possibly be more virus in the throat early on than the nose based on people testing positive from throat swabs at the same time they test negative on nasal. I hope your ds feels better tomorrow. 

DS has been tested twice with a rapid test and both times it has been negative. He has a sore throat and congestion. DH and I both tested positive and he's been around us all week so I don't believe he doesn't have it. DH initially tested negative with similar symptoms too. We only have one rapid test left and PCR testing isn't available until at least Tuesday, so we're going to proceed as though DS has Covid.

• Like 2

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how my dd19's week has gone:

Tuesday: Spent time with a group of friends and went to the movies

Wednesday: Got her booster

Thursday: Felt achy and tired with chills. Chalked it up to a reaction to the booster.

Friday: Felt all better and was making the 2 hour drive home from college when she found out one of her friends (who had been at the movies) was running a fever and tested positive. Turned around and went back to school to quarantine. 

So now she is holed up in her dorm room alone. She took an at home test which was negative. Still feels totally fine. She is trying to get an appointment to get tested, but everywhere she has checked is booked up for days.

• Sad 17

My father who has been vaxxed and wears masks got Omicron. He tested negative on the first test, positive on the second test days later. It’s pretty bad. He finally went to urgent care and got a chest x-ray: pneumonia. He is in his 60s and at a healthy weight. Prayers are appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 38

3 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

My father who has been vaxxed and wears masks got Omicron. He tested negative on the first test, positive on the second test days later. It’s pretty bad. He finally went to urgent care and got a chest x-ray: pneumonia. He is in his 60s and at a healthy weight. Prayers are appreciated.

That's really scary -  I'm sorry.  Sending positive thoughts.   Please update when you can.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:10 AM, LauraClark said:

Wow!  That makes a lot of sense. DH (2nd grade teacher at public school) has had a huge surge of cases at their school. They have been mask optional since October but really haven't seen any cases, thankfully. Then, end of last week it was case after case after case. He has only 6 students today that either aren't positive or aren't quarantined! I've been guessing it was omicron, but it seemed so new I wasn't sure. Symptoms seem pretty mild for the kids-but really so did other stains of covid for the most part. DH and one son are stuffy. I tested son yesterday and it was negative. But we are literally getting over 2 colds back to back, so it seems pretty odd that it would be yet another cold. 

Well, we are confirmed positive here-I can only assume omicron. Very very mild for us. There are such horror stories on this thread-almost everyone we know has had very mild, cold-like symptoms. I'm not a covid denier (we also know at least one person that has died) but I feel such a sense of panic when I read these covid-related threads. In case anyone is like me and needs to be reminded that not all covid illnesses are severe, our symptom breakdown:

DH has been stuffy for several days, mild headache that has come and gone (but not enough of one to take medication), and said he was feeling "a bit funny" tonight, whatever that means.

DS2 had a fever of 101 yesterday and runny nose. Today no fever and sounds stuffy.

Ds8 was stuffy a week ago with 99 fever but tested negative (?)

I had a scratchy throat a couple days ago.

Ds5 and DS10- no symptoms

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

Well, we are confirmed positive here-I can only assume omicron. Very very mild for us. There are such horror stories on this thread-almost everyone we know has had very mild, cold-like symptoms. I'm not a covid denier (we also know at least one person that has died) but I feel such a sense of panic when I read these covid-related threads. In case anyone is like me and needs to be reminded that not all covid illnesses are severe, our symptom breakdown:

DH has been stuffy for several days, mild headache that has come and gone (but not enough of one to take medication), and said he was feeling "a bit funny" tonight, whatever that means.

DS2 had a fever of 101 yesterday and runny nose. Today no fever and sounds stuffy.

I think mostly bad cases make the news. I know people that had really mild symptoms, too. The thing that I find unsettling is that even people who are vaxxed and careful got this variant. 😞

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

I think mostly bad cases make the news. I know people that had really mild symptoms, too. The thing that I find unsettling is that even people who are vaxxed and careful got this variant. 😞

Well, we are vaxxed, but I can't say we've been super careful lately.  And we are both due for the booster and haven't gotten it. None of the kiddos are vaxxed.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

1 minute ago, GracieJane said:

I'm really sorry to hear and I hope he recovers quickly. Did they send him home or admit him? Does he have any guesses where he got it?  And was he boosted?

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm really sorry to hear and I hope he recovers quickly. Did they send him home or admit him? Does he have any guesses where he got it?  And was he boosted?

They sent him home with antibiotics, but he will be admitted if he isn’t better after the cycle ends. Apparently it isn’t the primary infection (Omicron) but the secondary - (pneumonia) that is so bad. He was scheduled to get boosted this month, but got the flu shot first (they won’t give them together).

ETA: this was all made worse that apparently Omicron can give false negatives initially. So days were missed when it could have been addressed earlier.

Edited by GracieJane
  • Sad 9

4 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

They sent him home with antibiotics, but he will be admitted if he isn’t better after the cycle ends. Apparently it isn’t the primary infection (Omicron) but the secondary - (pneumonia) that is so bad. He was scheduled to get boosted this month, but got the flu shot first (they won’t give them together).

ETA: this was all made worse that apparently Omicron can give false negatives initially. So days were missed when it could have been addressed earlier.

Prayers that the first round of antibiotics knocks it out quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I'm really sorry. I hope everyone is feeling better very soon.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm so thankful that I decided to get my booster earlier this month. I hope it'll help. DH is also boosted. So far DH, DD (19 months), and I are all perfectly fine. DD is still nursing, so I'm wondering if that's helping a little? 

DS5 and DS3 both ran fevers today and seemed a little more tired than usual, but they still played relatively normally. DS3 threw up while we were opening stockings, poor guy. He is cranky and wants to be held. Both boys are coughing. DS3 wouldn't eat dinner tonight, which isn't like him...he's usually my biggest eater. 

• Sad 8

On 12/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, KeriJ said:

I think this alone would go a long way. My daughter got covid in the first place because people sent their kids to the theater with active symptoms.  

I remember years ago having my 2 month old in the church nursery. I was picking him up and another mom of a toddler said,  "Oh, by the way, M was diagnosed with RSV today." as M stood there coughing.  My little guy was severely sick 2 days later. 

Same thing just happened to us at gymnastics.  A mom brought in her 2 kids and said they have RSV.  Um ok.  We quit because of it.  There were just too many people brought their kids in sick for classes.   I can't do that now.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, LauraClark said:

I would consider our experience mild also.  Very similar to yours. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, popmom said:

It’s paywalled. 😞 I’m very interested because I now have a 24 yr old dd here for Christmas with 102.5 degree fever. Symptoms started this morning. Rapid test tonight was negative. We still have low levels of flu. Omicron is all we hear about, so it makes me doubt the tests. 

Quoting myself to update: @KSera @Laura Corin you were correct!

My daughter tested positive tonight. She still has a fever but feels better today. Motrin definitely helps. 
I’m assuming this is Omicron.

Her symptoms: nausea when her fever spikes, she’s had cramping and diarrhea—nothing awful. She’s able to eat and drink. Mild cough. No runny nose. ETA: She’s only had the J and J shot. No booster—so basically I consider her unvaccinated for Omicron.

We’ve all been exposed. But we will quarantine. 

Does this mean that she wasn’t contagious until today? I thought with previous variants these tests were used to detect COVID in pre symptomatic and asymptomatic cases. 

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, GracieJane said:

Do you mind sharing if he had the booster or not?   My parents will get theirs next week and I’m trying to work out how cautious we need to be to keep them safe after that.

Best wishes for your father’s recovery.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, popmom said:

Does this mean that she wasn’t contagious until today? I thought with previous variants these tests were used to detect COVID in pre symptomatic and asymptomatic cases. 

I think this is very much up in the air.  As this thread explains, It's possible that higher immunity levels mean that symptoms are showing up earlier, in which she probably wasn't contagious before.  OTOH, if omicron is transmitting at lower viral loads -- i.e., before the test can pick it up in her nose -- then yes, she could have been.

It seems like an incredibly important question so I am looking forward to more research about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Do you mind sharing if he had the booster or not?   My parents will get theirs next week and I’m trying to work out how cautious we need to be to keep them safe after that.

Best wishes for your father’s recovery.

He had not gotten his booster yet. He got Omicron from an acquaintance he chatted with briefly (my dad was notified shortly thereafter that this person tested positive). This variant seems to be a lot more infectious in our area, and the cases are doubling almost daily. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GracieJane said:

He had not gotten his booster yet. He got Omicron from an acquaintance he chatted with briefly (my dad was notified shortly thereafter that this person tested positive). This variant seems to be a lot more infectious in our area, and the cases are doubling almost daily. 

Thanks so much for letting me know.  We are in a similar boat.  It’s crazy how easily it spreads just really hoping it’s more mild. The things that seemed safe before don’t now.  Anyway thinking of you and your dad a lot.  Hopefully the antibiotics can turn things around.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GracieJane said:

He was scheduled to get boosted this month, but got the flu shot first (they won’t give them together).

They messed up. You CAN get both a flu shot and Covid booster together. Mine were done that way back in October-one in each arm-and I've read since that it's fine to get both at the same time (I think one of those FAQ articles on CNN).

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

They messed up. You CAN get both a flu shot and Covid booster together. Mine were done that way back in October-one in each arm-and I've read since that it's fine to get both at the same time (I think one of those FAQ articles on CNN).

I got that too back in Oct.  It totally kicked my butt for a week after however and I am not going to do that going forward.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I got that too back in Oct.  It totally kicked my butt for a week after however and I am not going to do that going forward.

My reaction was the exact same as my second shot (one day lost to sleeping on the couch with a low fever), so I blamed it entirely on the Covid booster. Flu shot arm didn't hurt at all, Covid arm was very sore.

My cousin who is about 21 is home for the holidays. He is boostered and still got covid last week. He was ill for three days. 102 degrees fever and fatigue are the only symptoms I remember him having. He did have something else, I just forgot what.

his mom is now sick. She will get tested today. She is also boostered. 

his father who is boostered is showing no symptoms so far. 

i don’t know if it is actually omicron or not. Just assuming. 

7 hours ago, GracieJane said:

I also received my flu shot and booster together. I felt bad for part of one day, I think. It was a lot less milder than my regular Covid vaxx.

• Like 1

My friend's son (age 11 and vaccinated) had covid last week - sore throat, cough, fatigue.  Now my friend and her husband are both sick and will get tested today.  She feels like she has a bad head cold, her husband has flu-like symptoms.  They both got their boosters several weeks ago.

Terrible timing for them - her FIL just died and the funeral is this week.  They will probably have to miss the funeral after missing the family Christmas celebration.  😞 

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 15

My kid has been in a group that has basically had to rapid test every other day. They are dropping like flies. So glad when this is over and we can take a short break from peopling. But so far NONE of the people he knows who tested positive had symptoms. A few developed symptoms later, but all mild so far.

It's absolutely mind boggling how utterly quickly omicron took over here in DC. Absolutely everyone seems to have gotten Covid in the last week. We beat our highest number of daily cases probably about FOURFOLD, which is astounding to me. Luckily, the last I looked, hospitalizations were still not up. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't think you can avoid it now. 

I agree.  I'm really torn about dd (19).  I've been keeping her home and safe as much as possible (she's double vaxxed but refuses the booster and won't wear N95, just cloth mask) but she leaves OOS for college soon and I'd rather her get sick here than be 1200 miles away and be sick.  But it feels wrong to expose her too.  Might not have a choice in the matter since I have family coming home today who have had high exposure.  They'll be staying with us for five days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

The Nutcracker ballet the kids were in got shut down because the pros kept dropping with Covid.  I think they will probably be more cases from the shows in the next week.  We will see how the next week goes for our house.  I don't think you can avoid it now. 

Ds told me that "all" of studio company was out for his Nut. Since they nearly all live together, that makes sense - there were a lot of precautions backstage but if you're living with five people in a group house and one of them gets Covid, you can predict the result, but still. Geez. They simply could not afford to cancel unless they were absolutely forced to do so. Dh and other ds were both involved backstage in shows that ended their runs early though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Ds told me that "all" of studio company was out for his Nut. Since they nearly all live together, that makes sense - there were a lot of precautions backstage but if you're living with five people in a group house and one of them gets Covid, you can predict the result, but still. Geez. They simply could not afford to cancel unless they were absolutely forced to do so. Dh and other ds were both involved backstage in shows that ended their runs early though.

Yep, our show had precautions too.  Everyone had to be vaxxed and masks for everyone backstage.  They did perform without masks until 2 days ago.  But yeah it probably was from them living and going out together.  They did the show when 5 pros went out, but they said if we lose one more pro we can't do the show.  Guess what happened.  One more went down.  They have a small company so there really wasn't anything they could do.  They also lost kids with sickness or parents coming down with Covid.  The kid cast was already tiny because when auditions happened the vax for under 12 wasn't out and them being in the show was not certain at all.  

How is his school doing it without the studio company? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

How is his school doing it without the studio company? 

Well, the kids are still there, and they have like 8 casts of kids so even though they've lost a bunch, they have lots of potential kids to fill in. The trainees are mostly still there and they mostly got additionally cast in low level company roles - ds is dancing his first company level role this year. So then that can potentially free up the more serious dancers to do the more serious parts more often. And the company is mostly still there. Studio company is like junior company/2nd company at Washington. I hear the union is super unhappy. But I'm getting all this from kid, who sometimes isn't fully in on stuff.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I agree.  I'm really torn about dd (19).  I've been keeping her home and safe as much as possible (she's double vaxxed but refuses the booster and won't wear N95, just cloth mask) but she leaves OOS for college soon and I'd rather her get sick here than be 1200 miles away and be sick.  But it feels wrong to expose her too.  Might not have a choice in the matter since I have family coming home today who have had high exposure.  They'll be staying with us for five days.

DS was looking forward to seeing friends while everyone is home for the holiday, but if he does it seems inevitable we'll all get sick. He’s extremely motivated to get back to Ireland so now that exposure seems certain if he socializes at all, I’m not sure what he will decide to do. He’s fully vaxxed and boosted and masks religiously, and other than ask him to meet friends outside, I’m not sure there’s much I can realistically do. I want him to catch up with friends, but I also want him to be able to go back on time. 

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DS was looking forward to seeing friends while everyone is home for the holiday, but if he does it seems inevitable we'll all get sick. He’s extremely motivated to get back to Ireland so now that exposure seems certain if he socializes at all, I’m not sure what he will decide to do. He’s fully vaxxed and boosted and masks religiously, and other than ask him to meet friends outside, I’m not sure there’s much I can realistically do. I want him to catch up with friends, but I also want him to be able to go back on time. 

Ds2 is home and had all kinds of plans with local friends and sacrificed them to keep us safe.  I feel so bad about it.  I want him to have fun.  Fortunately, he understands.  Ds1 on the other hand...not so much.  It really upsets me that he is willing to risk our health but I don't feel comfortable telling him and his gf they aren't welcome.  They live OOS and it's rare that we are all together as a family (none of my kids are local and they will all be here this week).  

• Sad 4

Ds 7 was sick for 2 days with positive covid test. His 8 year old sister never tested positive and had no symptoms, thankfully. They share a room and we did not separate them. The rest of us who are vaccinated & boosted never tested positive and had no symptoms. It’s been 14 days so I think it’s over in our house this time. 
The little kids get their second shot this week. 
whew

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Ds 7 was sick for 2 days with positive covid test. His 8 year old sister never tested positive and had no symptoms, thankfully. They share a room and we did not separate them. The rest of us who are vaccinated & boosted never tested positive and had no symptoms. It’s been 14 days so I think it’s over in our house this time. 
The little kids get their second shot this week. 
whew

Wonder if his was Delta rather than omicron. Not that you will have any way of knowing. 

7 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

A couple weeks ago DS and several of his friends all had a terrible virus. Fever, cough, sweats, body aches. Of the ones who got tested, all were negative for covid, but the ones who tested for it were all positive for flu A. 

Flu A is going around here, too.

21 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I got mine separately and glad I did. Significant reaction to both and wouldn’t have wanted it all at once.

I was not expecting it at all.  I didn't have any reaction besides a slight sore arm to either Covid shot.  And never a reaction except a sore arm to a flu shot.  Lesson learned.  I am only getting one vaccine at a time going forward. 

• Like 2

We have decided to not make dd isolate (tested positive yesterday). It's pretty clear there is no way to avoid this, and we'd all rather have it now rather than after school starts. 

I honestly felt a slight sense of relief when her test came up positive. I'm more scared of the flu. If we have to be exposed, this is the variant I want. We will quarantine and test for the appropriate amount of time and won't spread it to anyone else. 

I'm happy to hopefully have natural immunity on top of the 3 shots.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Is there any data on omicron and long Covid? Or is it still too soon to know, on that one?

No way to know with omicron since it’s only been identified for 4 weeks (man is it crazy to realize that and how fast it’s taken over). We don’t even know much about how much the vaccines decrease the risk of long Covid for those that had breakthrough cases before omicron. There was indication it reduced it but definitely didn’t eliminate. I know someone actually who had a breakthrough delta infection that was no big deal, but has had severe side effects ever since they recovered. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, KSera said:

No way to know with omicron since it’s only been identified for 4 weeks (man is it crazy to realize that and how fast it’s taken over). We don’t even know much about how much the vaccines decrease the risk of long Covid for those that had breakthrough cases before omicron. There was indication it reduced it but definitely didn’t eliminate. I know someone actually who had a breakthrough delta infection that was no big deal, but has had severe side effects ever since they recovered. 

That’s what I suspected. Wow, what a long four weeks it’s been. 

I don’t want it, though likely we will all get it. My hope is to postpone the inevitable as long as possible, because I don’t want long Covid, and any chance for docs to learn to prevent or treat it is a positive. I’ve BTDT with chronic illness, it stinks.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

That’s what I suspected. Wow, what a long four weeks it’s been. 

I don’t want it, though likely we will all get it. My hope is to postpone the inevitable as long as possible, because I don’t want long Covid, and any chance for docs to learn to prevent or treat it is a positive. I’ve BTDT with chronic illness, it stinks.

This. I really want to A. Not contribute to overwhelming hospitals B. And delay getting it as long as possible in order to hopefully allow tike for better treatments to be developed, and more info on long covid to accumulate.

• Like 7

If this is correct, I’m almost certain I am infected. This afternoon fatigue, muscle and joint aches hit me very suddenly. Also, this South African doctor somewhat contradicts what other experts have described as Omicron’s symptoms. Very interesting that she is saying there are no asymptomatic cases.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/theres-no-reason-to-test-if-you-have-no-symptoms-and-2-other-findings-from-the-woman-instrumental-in-first-identifying-omicron-11640376567

Edited by popmom

I’m super frustrated that we are 2 years into this stupid pandemic and our country still hasn’t figured out how to make at home testing widely available. This is on federal and state governments as well as the manufacturers who slowed production during the so called “lull”. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, popmom said:

If this is correct, I’m almost certain I am infected. This afternoon fatigue, muscle and joint aches hit me very suddenly. Also, this South African doctor somewhat contradicts what other experts have described as Omicron’s symptoms. Very interesting that she is saying there are no asymptomatic cases.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/theres-no-reason-to-test-if-you-have-no-symptoms-and-2-other-findings-from-the-woman-instrumental-in-first-identifying-omicron-11640376567

That link was really interesting, thanks. Not at all what I expected to read. I wonder if what she’s reporting will hold true here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, popmom said:

One of my coworkers, triple vaxxed, is currently sick in bed with Covid. I talked to his wife today and this is exactly what she described—muscle pains, chest pains, fever, chills, all over body aches. I know it’s a “mild” case, but he’s not been out of bed in three days and is feeling absolutely miserable.  He has no underlying health conditions.

• Sad 7