Menu

Christmas/Yule/Festivmas/etc menu

prairiewindmomma

@math teacher thank you! And your post reminded me of guacamole too! whew, good call!

@Janeway This one from Food Network is pretty close to what I do. I'm not a professional recipe writer so use your cooking judgement on quantities, here's mine below:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

• 1 small onion: diced
  • 4 cloves garlic: minced (I like garlic)
  • 6-8c chicken broth or vegetable broth (depending on size of your pot)
  • 3 tomatoes: diced
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can corn (or frozen works too)
  • ~1-1.5 lb chicken: either diced (raw) or shredded, depending on what you start with
  • 2 limes (or 1 lemon): juiced (try this at half first, see how it tastes, then add as you like)
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 tbl cumin (or more, I just keep adding this, lol)
  • 1 tsp paprika (optional; I ran out and didn't find I missed it)
  • 1 tsp chili powder (optional; I don't usually use it but sometimes the mood strikes)
  • diced green Chile or jalapeños (if you like spicy, I stopped using personally)

For toppings: more cilantro, cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, lime/lemon wedges, chips

1. If using raw diced chicken: cook chicken in pot with some oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until all sides white.
  2. Add onions, garlic, and cook those with the chicken until onion is translucent.
  3. (Add cooked shredded chicken here if using that instead. Season with salt, pepper, and some cumin.)
  4. Add tomatoes, beans, corn. Add broth until your pot is comfortably full. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Around 7-10 minutes of the simmer in step 4: Add cumin to taste, also salt/pepper and any other optional spices/chiles you decide to use. 
  6. Add lime juice and cilantro to pot (start with half of the lime juice, then add to taste; you may want to start with half cilantro too, depending on your taste).

Serve immediately, use toppings how you like. 

Even though this is "tortilla" soup, I've stopped actually doing the tortilla part and just serve with chips on the side. Some kids dip into their bowl, others eat separately, and I break up the chips and add to my bowl, it's a free for all, lol.

• Like 1

All of these menus look so good. I shall dream of food tonight. Christmas Eve my son in law is making bagels for us to eat with cream cheese - yes it does exist in our world- smoked salmon from dear northern friends and the trimmings. Christmas Day is a festive tea with quiche, sausage rolls, scones, mince pies and I'm sure there is more. Christmas night is snacks and treats and leftovers. 

• Like 1

Christmas Eve. Normal size dinner, but lighter, a vegetable sauce with pasta, salad and bread. 

Christmas breakfast: Easy! We eat before gifts so it has to be fast with easy cleanup. Pillsbury orange rolls, shaped into tree on sheet pan with Christmas sprinkles, scrambled eggs, sliced and fried Kielbasa, and orange juice.

Lunch will be meat and cheese and crackers, veggies, and other snack type foods.

Dinner appetizers will be baked brie with homemade fig jam and shrimp cocktail which SIL is bringing since I don't eat shrimp. If I get it made tomorrow, we will try bacon jam. I have cambozola, and it sounds like they would pair well. Main course is tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, roasted veggies and a jello ribbon salad with lemon curd sauce. Actually, this dinner is so much easier and faster than prime rib and is such a treat for us. Dessert is buche de noel, toffee pudding, a pie, and cookie and candy tray. 

I had hoped to do dessert baking today (cookies are done)  but had oven issues. Dh is working on it. We think it's a power cord problem so he is replacing.

Edited by Spirea

We do an on going buffet style for everything.  This way everyone can rest and relax. Usually the lunch/dinner would be Christmas Eve but we are moving everything to Christmas Day to accommodate everyone being able to join in. 3 times a year I allow disposable dinnerware and bakeware to make sure everyone can get a bit more of a break.  And Christmas Eve/day is one of them.

breakfast starts at 8ish
Cinnamon rolls
deviled eggs
pumpkin bread/muffins
crepes with fruits and whipped cream
cherry bread (some set aside for cherry cinnamon rolls)

Lunch/Dinner starts at 2:30ish
Tamales
Mexican rice
queso and guacamole and salsa and chips
enchilada soup
taco bar

veggie trays
relish trays
Cream cheese/ham/chives spread with crackers

pumpkin pie
apple pie
tiramisu
melt away candy cane cookies
white chocolate and cherry cookies
cheesecake

throughout the day
hot chocolate
coffee bar (hot or cold whipped options)
earl grey tea
apple cider
egg nog

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

Christmas Eve Dinner - Raviolis, garlic rolls, cranberry sauce, veggies   Dessert:  frosted sugar cookies, chocolate chip pumpkin bread, assortment of Christmas cookies given to us by neighbors

Christmas morning - my family loves bagels/eggs/cheese/sausage sandwiches   So easy  Lots of sugar from candy in Christmas stocking

The rest of the day will be snack stuff - salami/pepperoni/summer sausage, maybe some leftover turkey slices in the freezer, assortment of cheeses, crackers, olives, fruits, vegs and salsa, tortilla chips, potato chips, desserts, pretzels, different nuts, chocolates, dips, etc.  plus any leftovers from Christmas dinner and maybe some cold or fresh pasta or mac n cheese.   This is the first year we're doing this and I'm really excited.  Easy and everyone seems really happy about it.  

dessert will be the same as Christmas Eve

I made cinnamon rolls this morning!

I make my big meal today.  We would usually be out with family a couple days but are staying home.  My teenager has a cold and has tested covid negative several times but tis NOT the season to drag around upper respitory crud to the elders.  We are probably least popular family on both sides know but oh well, I don't mind staying home at all.  

Today I am making 

prime rib roast with horseradish cream
ham
twice baked potato casserole
homemade dinner rolls
apple cranberry feta green salad with cider vinegarette
roasted carrots and shallots

We usually don't do much meat here so this is special.  Plus we'll be chowing down on leftovers the next week or so.  

I haven't made a dessert, I hope we get around to doing some baking over the next week or so while we are all around.  No shortage of candy in stockings anyway!  🙂  Happy holidays everyone!  

• Like 1

Original plans for Christmas morning food have been derailed. 

Plan B:
Slow cooker creamy grits, eggs, bacon, some sweet baked-good from Publix, fresh berries, and coffee. And chocolate, of course!

Dinner will be chx corn chowder, bread, and salad.

Edited by ScoutTN