Menu

Question about a punishment/consequence chart at homeschool convention??

teachermom2834

Did anyone else see this? Was it the Pearls?

It was a vendor at a homeschool conference twenty years ago. They were selling charts that had an infraction (such as not making the bed or whatever) and then a number of spoons to represent whacks the kid would get. Like "forgot to feed the dog" and next to it was two spoons. Or "didn't come the first time called" and three spoons.

I've thought about this over the years. I didn't linger- I just saw it and rushed away before the vendor spoke to me. But I remember thinking "was that just what I thought it was?" . I have thought of it often through the years and wondered if it was the Pearls and that was something they sold. Or some other company that was selling that sort of thing? Does anyone know what I am talking about? What company that was?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, klmama said:

No clue, but I seem to remember the Pearls suggested using a light-weight piece of plastic tubing for spanking, not a spoon, so I doubt they would have sold a poster with spoons.  

Well it was 20 years ago...I am remembering spoons but it could have been some other instrument to illustrate whacks. 

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Was it them or the Far Above Rubies/Wisdom booth?   I know what you're talking about....they also had the virtues poster.

Could have been. I'm glad someone else saw it and knows what I'm talking about. 

Edited by teachermom2834

9 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

That's pretty horrific.

For sure.  Homeschooling in my neck of the woods in early 2000s was full of head covering, skirtwearing quiverful Baptist women who were pretty sure we were all going to hell if we didn't have it prayed and beaten out of us first.  The norm absolutely was to spank your kids and submit them to immediate and harsh discipline in that circle of people. This was 20 years ago, back in the days of KONOS and Sonlight being the reasonable alternative outside of BJUP and the other Christian publishers.( WTM had just been released and people were discussing it but it hadn't taken off in my area yet.)

ETA: This is why we never participated in those homeschooling groups. I went to a getting-to-know-you playdate at the park and left early with my kids and never saw them again.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

6 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Bible in a Year with Fr Mike podcast day 293 discusses biblical disciplining of children. JIC anyone else appreciated it. Fr Mike addresses this in his discussion of the readings at the end. 

Please sum it up.  I like Fr Mike but he’s not exactly succinct.

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

Please sum it up.  I like Fr Mike but he’s not exactly succinct.

He discusses that discipline is not beating. That spanking is not beating. That discipline is not about anger. It’s about raising children to be adults you’d value being friends with and who can have genuine relationship with others.  And that if anyone listening has had the unfortunate experience of being beaten and told that was God’s love - that’s not true. That’s not of God.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

For sure.  Homeschooling in my neck of the woods in early 2000s was full of head covering, skirtwearing quiverful Baptist women who were pretty sure we were all going to hell if we didn't have it prayed and beaten out of us first.  The norm absolutely was to spank your kids and submit them to immediate and harsh discipline in that circle of people. This was 20 years ago, back in the days of KONOS and Sonlight being the reasonable alternative outside of BJUP and the other Christian publishers.( WTM had just been released and people were discussing it but it hadn't taken off in my area yet.)

ETA: This is why we never participated in those homeschooling groups. I went to a getting-to-know-you playdate at the park and left early with my kids and never saw them again.

Beat the Jesus into them. Totally a thing here. My dad was a decent, caring, loving, nurturing father as a secular man from my brother's birth until bro turned 16 (12 for me) and then dad found for and got involved with IBLP and what not. prior to that ,my moderate, non radical, Jesus loving mother took us to a very nice United Methodist Church that was mainly concerned with kindness and helping people. Dad didn't try to smack us around, but my poor sister was born when I was 13, and when she turned 1, he turned into the smack her repeatedly on the back of the legs with a paint stick dad so "her will would be broken and her heart would be turn to god". My mom eventually couldn't take it and when she was about 5, she told him the abuse ended or he had to leave. So he stopped that part, but some of the crazy mind game stuff continued. My sister is an atheist. I don't know if it ever occurred to him that the method was fundamentally flawed.

I never saw that chart. But I was appalled at a lot of the stuff by James Dobson that was so popular. Ugh.

Edited by Faith-manor