Menu

My last grandparent died

Carrie12345

It was expected and we’ve been estranged for years, so I’m not a mess or anything. But realizing that all my grandparents are gone now is… I don’t know, a little bit heavy, I guess!

I only lost one grandparent as a child, then one in my late 20s, and now two in my 40s.  The ladies did win, btw!

Our family got pretty weird over the years, but I do have lots of wonderful memories of when we all had a really great thing going on. I hope that, if I get to have grandkids, I can give them memories that are just as good. 
Even if I eventually become unbearable and they need to enforce healthy boundaries!

• Sad 27

44 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So sorry.

I lost the last of my grandparents in my 20s.   But my husband lost his last grandparent after he turned 50.   She was 106 when she died.

I have been hearing/seeing *so* many stories of people hitting the triple digits lately, but my new favorite is a video of someone asking “Grandma, do you know how old you are today? 103!”(or thereabouts.) And Grandma has what seems to be a mix of surprise and annoyance, like that was not her plan, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm so sorry! 

I was never close to my dad's parents, but my mom's parents were like second parents to me. I lost them at 29 and 43. My dh's grandfather lived to be a month short of 102. I never knew I would love an in-law grandparent as much as my own. He was the last one we lost when we were both 48, and I was not ready to say goodbye. But are we ever ready? 

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have been hearing/seeing *so* many stories of people hitting the triple digits lately, but my new favorite is a video of someone asking “Grandma, do you know how old you are today? 103!”(or thereabouts.) And Grandma has what seems to be a mix of surprise and annoyance, like that was not her plan, lol.

My friend's mom is going downhill with dementia.   She asked my friend recently, "How many hundreds of years old am I?"   She said, "Mom, you are 86."   Her mom's response, "Are you sure I am not in the hundreds?"

• Like 2

Tonight’s excitement was trying to learn who “Bill” from Grandma’s obituary is. 
Grandkid names weren’t put in any age, parentage, or alphabetical order. There was “Bill”, then my younger 1/2 brother, then my younger two cousins, then me and my sisters, and then my two ex-stepsisters.

My sister dared to ask our dad, who said “Bill” was our uncle’s stepson way back when. Thing is, I remember that marriage (ended late 80s or very early 90s after maybe 3 years?) and there were FOUR boys. 

I told you we got weird.