Menu

Court....have you ever been to court? Testified?

Ottakee

I know I am an anomaly here but today I was texting a Friend who said she couldn't walk tomorrow because she had a suddenly court hearing come up.  It made me think, there are people out there that have never been to court.

I have been to court well over 100 times.   First court hearings were when my brother in law was murdered and we had all of the pre trial and trial court hearings.  Then I fostered over 100 kids and that makes for a LOT of court hearings.   Three adoptions were in there too.   Then it was guardianship hearings for my kids, and finally all of the court hearings with my ex husband's federal case.  Oh, and when I represented myself in divorce court.

At my last guardianship hearing (had to renew every 5 years) the judge commended me on all the times I had been in his court and said he would miss seeing me in court but wished me well (got permanent guardianship).  Not sure if that is good or bad that the county judge knows you by name.

Anyone else go to court?

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I have not, but I think there is a lot of chance involved. Or there are people who are doing good things that involve going to court.  

My cousin has mental illness and now he knows a lot of people who have mental illness, have been homeless, and/or are in recovery, and it has just changed how I see things like this, to a great extent.  It’s second-hand but I know a lot of people have been very kind to my cousin who do have some kind of legal trouble and are trying to make their lives better.  

Edit:  I have been to traffic court once, but it was so straight-forward.  I went and got a traffic ticket cut in half with a clean driving record, and the judge said they were trying to get people taking kids to a private college and not locals who would actually show up at court!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I was once summonsed for trespassing as a young pregnant woman but the estate owner dropped the charges.  Filed under stuff I don't tell my children until just the right teachable moment!  Jury duty but was not seated.

@OttakeeI am so in awe of you fostering so many children.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been to court a lot this past year and a half.

I also testified for a school counselor who was accused of molestation (he did not do it and was exonerated.)   If I told you the whole story you would agree that there is no way he could have done what the girls said he did.

• Like 1

I've only done small claims.  we sued the guy I T-boned.  (he was driving the wrong way.  I have it on city traffic cam. It made the rounds at the police station because it was so egregious.).  I won the judgment and the insurance company had to pay most of the rest of my claim.  (they had paid to fix my car, but there were other things they refused to cover, and they assigned me as being 50% at fault - because they also insured the other guy it limited their payout.)  And thanks to the board's advice - we included diminished value as part of my loss. - the insurance agent didn't make any friends of the judge when she said that's only for "expensive cars" - like lambos.

I had no sympathy the guy whined about his brand new (little) truck being totaled.  well - maybe you shouldn't go the wrong way!  And my highlander was bigger.

eta: not including the jury I was on - or the two times I just twiddled my thumbs in the jury waiting room.

Edited by gardenmom5

Yes, but not to testify. The person plead guilty. They were reading my victim's statement as well as my mom's and I wanted to support her. Oh, and once for a speeding ticket that was 100% bogus because the cop said he had clocked me, but the witness in my car and another from the street testified that he was out of his car buying a hot dog from a food truck. He eventually admitted it was bogus. That is it. I have not served jury duty. I have been given a permanent waiver from the state due to PTSD from the first case. I guess I could still be called for Federal.

I was on a jury for a murder trial right after my husband and I were married. 

It was a fascinating experience. We convicted one of the defendants and found the other two not guilty (we all thought they were involved as well, but the prosecution did not prove it beyond a reasonable doubt). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am 47 and have never been to court. Not even for jury duty. 

I’m 50 and have never been to court for anything of my own. (I have been there to drop off documents for the lawyer.) The few times I have been selected for jury duty, I never got actually assigned. 

Edited by Quill

No.

But I did serve for two weeks on a grand jury that met in a conference room. If I recall correctly, I think some of the selection process did take place before a judge in a courtroom.

And for work, I did give a videotaped deposition under questioning from a lawyer. Again in a conference room, but with lots of lawyers present, just not the judge. Hence why it was taped.

I was a witness in the trial of an armed man who broke into the house where I was staying. I saw him in the backyard trying to get into the house and was on the phone with police when he broke in through the bedroom window, but luckily I was able to get out before he got to me. He was still inside the house when police arrived, and they told me he was violent and ended up with a broken arm when he fought them. During the trial he smirked at me the whole time I was in the witness box, which was really unnerving, but it was a pretty cut-&-dried case and he was convicted. (Interesting side note: the detective assigned to my case was Mark Fuhrman, who became infamous a few years later due to the OJ trial.)

I was also selected for a jury once, but ended up being excused as it was expected to be a long trial (gang murder case) and I had an upcoming  international business trip that could not be rescheduled.

Other court appearances included traffic court, divorce, and DD's US re-adoption and name change.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

As to having over 100 foster children, I did emergency shelter care as well so some of the kiddos were with me just a very short time.  I would get a call to get them after the police removed them but then they might only be with me for a few days or a few weeks while they sorted out if there was an appropriate relative, child was safe to go home (very rare), etc.  My shortest care case was about 10 hours long.  I got the child at 11pm and brought her to school the next morning and never saw her again.   My 3 are adopted through foster care.  I did have some kids for several years though.

I had to testify for foster care cases many, many times.  Then in all of the guardianship cases and divorce court.  Thankfully I did not have to testify in federal court.

• Like 2

I was 43 the first time I was in a courtroom. It was the first time I'd ever actually gone in for jury duty, and I was called in for the start of jury selection for a murder trial. Sat for a couple of hours through a jury survey and the judge's explanation of what to expect and the jurors' responsibilities. Broke for a couple of hours for lunch, went back in, the judge asked for volunteers, sent us all out, and an hour later we were all dismissed. I have a health issue that had me incredibly anxious that I'd end up on the jury and was so thankful to end up excused, but it was an emotional and eye-opening experience. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Yes, I have testified twice. One time each, in two different different cases. 

Several times for dd15s foster care/guardianship hearings.

Once for jury duty, but I was excused. 

A few times when ds27 was falsely accused of a crime and had the normal pre-trial visits, and a felony trial. 

I went with dd23 when she legally changed her name. 

Gosh, I know there were a few more times but I can't remember right now. 

My divorce was handled by a mediator, so I didn't have to go for that which was really nice. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Not in the usual sense, but I've been in the following situations:

• As a first year law student, I worked for a small town lawyer.  One assignment was to sit in the audience during a child abuse murder trial while the parents were testifying, because my boss had been assigned to handle one parent's appeal.
  • I've been to traffic court a few times.
  • I did readoptions and name changes for my kids after they came home.  This is technically a court thing involving a judge, but we didn't actually enter the courtroom.
  • I did my grandma's probate.  Again, this was done "at" probate court, but not in a "courtroom."
  • Like 1

I’ve never been for jury duty or even a traffic ticket. But I did go watch in my friends lawsuit. My dh was an expert witness on that but the case went on too long that day and I didn’t get to see his testimony. My dd came with me. She saw my friend testify and the other attorney was so rude to her and my dd was LIVID! It was a very interesting case.

Pretrial stuff when I was 9yo and there was a criminal trial for the man who tried to abduct me in the middle of the night.  Dude ended up pleading guilty.  

Getting a restraining order against a relative who was threatening me.  

Family court as a witness several times in divorce and custody matters.  

• Like 1

Twice for a single traffic ticket

Once for a restraining order against my then-husband (now ex).

6 or 7 times for my actual divorce plus countless mediation sessions in a conference room in the court house. (It was very messy)

I've lost count of how many times I've been to court over custody, visitation and child support with my ex. My divorce was final in 2011 and I've been to court multiple times a year, every year since. (Did I mention it was messy?)

5 or 6 times total in federal court between my current husband's disability case and my own disability case

I've had to testify three times, twice in family court and once in federal court

I represented myself a couple of times during my divorce when I couldn't afford a lawyer. (Amazingly, I won every time I represented myself. It's been a mix of good and bad outcomes when I've been represented by a lawyer.)

More exposure to the cause of my anxiety (going to court) hasn't made it easier, it has contributed to my formally diagnosed PTSD. 😕

• Sad 2

Once for jury duty. Interesting because I wouldn't raise my hand when the jury was sworn in. Judge noticed but didn't say anything.

I was dismissed for a couple reasons: 1. I know someone who was a victim of DV and that's what the case was about and 2. during questioning, they asked me if I'd formed an opinion of the defendent. I said, yes, I had, but that I thought I could still judge impartiality based on the facts of the case. They gave me the boot. 

I went into the traffic court to observe  few cases when I was in tbe building that held both traffic court and other officed.  I had to go to one of those offices to pay ds's ticket for expired registration (his shift at work led him to be unable to do it himself).  Just was curious.   I believe i also visited a regular criminal court but can't remember exactly where and when.

I was in a family court once. (It was like 20 years ago and they still called it Orphans' Court.)

I thought I was finally going to have to go for jury duty recently, but my group was told we didn't need to appear. So I've never been into a criminal court.

I have only been to court as part of a foster care placement - once at a placement hearing and once at the adoption of my kids. When we went to the placement hearing it was to protest the plan that CPS had to move them somewhere else and was pretty adversarial and I remember how weird  I felt - like this was not something we DO in my family, go to court over something. I had literally had the unspoken/unacknowledgedexpectation that I would never be in a courthouse except as a juror. Before that my only experience with court was as a potential juror, but the case settled out of court before a panel was chosen. Since then my jury duty has always been canceled the night before.

Edited by Emba

I have:

....sat in the courtroom waiting on my mom's lawyer to call me as a witness in her divorce from my stepdad (lawyer never did, b/c I was "a minor" - I was 17 but whatever)
...been in the courtroom w/DH while he had traffic court 
...been summonsed to jury duty, but never picked

I don't think we were present when my mom/stepdad had court for adopting my brother, although why not, I'm not sure

Once as support person for a friend, and once as the landlord in an eviction.  I didn’t speak in either; the property manager handled the eviction hearing, but it convinced me that I definitely didn’t want to be a landlord long-term.  (We moved right in the middle of the 2008 housing crash and couldn’t sell our house so we rented it out for several years. Never Again.)

21 minutes ago, Emba said:

I remember how weird  I felt - like this was not something we DO in my family, go to court over something. I had literally had the unspoken/unacknowledged expectation that I would never be in a courthouse except as a juror.

This is how I felt at the murder trial for my brother in law.  Little did I know I would be in court over 100 more times over the years, including a federal court for my now ex husband's CSAM case.

• Like 1

Jury duty, (traffic violation) where one other jury member followed me to the parking lot to try to ask me to have lunch with him. I was majorly creeped out. 

My ds was on a jury in a major trial (heartbreaking) where, when it was over, and he told me details, I realized what a stark difference there was from what the news reported and what actually happened. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Lawyer&Mom said:

Wait, what!?!

A man tried to abduct you in the middle of the night!?!!  😳

When I was 9, a man we didn’t know entered the house, came into the bedroom I shared with my younger sibling and picked me up out of my bed, carrying me across the bedroom.  He was pretty drunk and fell in the doorway of the bedroom.  At that point, my sibling woke up, ran past me and the man screaming bloody murder to get my parents attention.  I got up and ran the the living room.  My dad grabbed him in the kitchen while my mom called the police from the living room. 

He was arrested that night in our house.  His defense attorney floated a bunch of really ridiculous excuses.  Everything from it was an accident to he was just drunk and had walked into the wrong home to I knew the man and wanted him to come and get me to my mother had given him permission to take me.  The police found evidence that he had been drinking in the yard before he came inside, either to build up nerve or give himself an excuse if he were caught.  He’d also been charged previously for sexual abuse of his girlfriends daughter but the charges had been dropped.  

He pled guilty and was given a pretty light sentence.  Later on, he was convicted of sexual abuse of a child which of course wasn’t that shocking because why else would a dude try to take a 9 year old out of their bed like that?  It was covered in the Seattle papers without mentioning my family’s name.  The headline was something like “Daddy, come quick!” because that’s what my sibling screamed.  The defense attorney was quoted in a follow up about the sentence saying that this misunderstanding had ruined his client’s life.  

My parents got us a giant dog and we moved not long after that.  About a decade later I was at a drug store not far from where it happened and I saw the man working as a clerk at the drug store.  He didn’t recognize me but I knew who he was. 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8