Menu

Possible exposure...(final update)

mlktwins

Final update: An end of year email came out talking about the good and bad from this past year specific to the team.  They mentioned that there were at least 20 covid positives from the travel meet.  I will never know the actual number. 

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

Ugh.  I get the privacy concern, but them not tell you who it is makes you not know what to do.   Like was this a person that was staying in the room with them or something less of a chance.  

So you have 2 people with exposure right now?   Glad you are doing the masking and testing.  

Up the vitamins and sun and outside.  Is it warmish there?  can you open windows or run the house fan?  Air purifiers?   Gargle.    I would be doing this for everyone in the house.  

I am wondering if going to get a booster would do anything right now??  Not sure if you could get them in fast. 

I am sorry you are going through this.   Especially because of the background of event and how much it was a good thing for that person to go to in that time of their life.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Good news.

Even if it isn't warm enough, open up the doors for 10-20 mins a day.  I do that all winter here in WI.  Run the house fan.  Air purifiers.  UP the vitamins.  There is a list somewhere of all the good ones for defense against covid. 

Lots of rest, sunshine, fruits and veggies, liquids

Fingers crossed you guys all stay negative.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my house, if any household member was unmasked at any point around someone else who potentially was covid positive, they'd be in their room with the window cracked an inch and a HEPA filter running and they'd wear a surgical mask.  If they came into public spaces (like a bathroom, they'd be in a N95.  So, since two were unmasked this weekend, two would be under the restrictions.

Testing appointments are hard to find, and tests are taking 5-12 days to process per the lab (as of a couple of weeks ago when I needed bloodwork). I have to assume worst case scenario and go from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We've been in this position. In our home, we assume that all of us have been thoroughly exposed to each other so we do not isolate the exposed person. We had them get a PCR at 5 days post exposure and stay home until it came back. The rest of us went about our business. It was fine. I had a close exposure at work (healthcare) and they didn't even make any recommendations for us. I decided on my own to get a PCR but I kept going in to my shifts. 

When we travel we get a PCR after we get back but no other modifications. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sassenach said:

We've been in this position. In our home, we assume that all of us have been thoroughly exposed to each other so we do not isolate the exposed person. We had them get a PCR at 5 days post exposure and stay home until it came back. The rest of us went about our business. It was fine. I had a close exposure at work (healthcare) and they didn't even make any recommendations for us. I decided on my own to get a PCR but I kept going in to my shifts. 

When we travel we get a PCR after we get back but no other modifications. 

This is what we do, too--all vaccinated.  Exposed person tests at day 5, but doesn't quarantine unless showing symptoms. Other family members go about their business.  I have rapid tested "just in case" before sending vaccinated family member to an event, but did not make him stay home.  If it had been the roommate, I may handle it differently.  This may change if Omicron gets more widespread. 

• Like 2

My kids had(yet another) exposure last Sunday.  They were spending the night at my sister in laws(we were working overnight) and she hosted her small group Bible study.  Sure enough someone there developed symptoms the next day.  Everyone was vaccinated, including the person who got ill, but at this point that doesn’t seem to matter.  My sister in law has both shots, the booster, has HAD Covid, and still caught it at this small group. Fortunately it’s very mild cold symptoms and she’s enjoying her ten day quarantine.

My kids had to take a rapid test before school every morning in order to attend for seven days from the exposure. The schools provide testing.   Since the tests were always negative, we didn’t do anything special after that. 
I honestly assume we have an exposure several times a week and just don’t know it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(update in 1st post)
  • mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(update #2 in 1st post)
On 12/16/2021 at 2:28 PM, mommyoffive said:

Hoping the PCR is negative too.  Just curious what mistake do you think you made?  

Thank you.  There is a lot involved in why I think I made a mistake in letting him go on this trip :-).  But...I will listen to my gut the next time and worry less about whether I will continue to have a sullen teenager that didn't get to go on a trip vs. all the stress and worry that this Covid thing has had on me and the rest of the family - especially as I am very involved in my elderly dad's care.

• Sad 3

• mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(update #3 in 1st post)

That’s a lot of positives. Hoping that your DS stays negative, and that there are no more positives to report from this trip.

I still think you made the best possible choice you could, for your kid, with the info you had at the time. Please don’t beat yourself up. Hugs heading your way!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I still think you made the best possible choice you could, for your kid, with the info you had at the time. Please don’t beat yourself up. Hugs heading your way!

Yes, this. We can only do the best we can in the moment. I hope you can be at peace with that. Everything right now just sucks.

Hoping for a negative result! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

Would you mind sharing the number of participants?  I'm curious what percentage of attendees are ill.

172 athletes + coaches and chaperones.  Athletes were also allowed travel and stay with their families (this is new due to covid). Those families are also considered close contacts. This is just our team. We were probably the biggest team, but there were several other teams participating.

I think the results coming in Monday or Tuesday will be very interesting.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you.  There is a lot involved in why I think I made a mistake in letting him go on this trip :-).  But...I will listen to my gut the next time and worry less about whether I will continue to have a sullen teenager that didn't get to go on a trip vs. all the stress and worry that this Covid thing has had on me and the rest of the family - especially as I am very involved in my elderly dad's care.

Gotcha.   It just really sucks you know?  You want to send your teen on these trips and let them have the memories and independence trials and yet it is so dang worrisome now.  I sent my teens the same weekend on a trip away.  The back and forth of worry I did everyday leading up to it drove me crazy.  I hate the weight of every choice you have to make now.  

• Like 1

• mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(update #4 in 1st post)
3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay!!  Go get him boosted now!!  

Both are scheduled for the 29th.

Our state's department of health asked that I hold off on the booster until 14 days post exposure - just in case.  She didn't want any mix up in possible symptoms of Covid with possible reactions of the shot.

• Like 3

• mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(update #4 and #5 in 1st post)
4 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Oh my goodness. Does it make you want to just tuck everyone in and hibernate?

YES!!!  I am so over it all!  And...DS1 is not happy I'm keeping him out of OPTIONAL practice the next 2 days to make sure his surgery is a go 🙄. I don't care if he is upset with me -- LOL!  

I'm mostly worried about my dad as he has 6 caregivers rotating through his place and lots of appointments.  

I'm just done!

• Sad 3

• mlktwins changed the title to Possible exposure...(final update)