Menu

? About illness in nursing home staff- not Covid related

Hilltopmom

If you or a family member have/haved worked in a nursing home- I have a question.

Did you get sick often your first year? 
(I’m a teacher and first year teachers get sick non stop, my nurse friends have said the same about working in a pediatrician office)

Dd, 19 had to leave her daycare job (infants) recently due to getting  sick too often (covid protocols meant time off & getting tested before returning to work, understandably). She left them without coverage too often and resigned so they could find someone more reliable, sadly.

She wants to work in the care taking field still and may be applying to our nursing home as a resident aide. (Not hands on resident care- more like tidying up, transport, meal service)

Just curious about run of the mill illnesses in nursing home- assisted living. (She caught hand foot mouth, strep, RSV, colds, etc all in a short period of time at the daycare )

Thanks.

** Not looking for job advice or info about covid and nursing homes Nor how she needs to find work in a better paying field. Thank you.

Edited by Hilltopmom

No, It’s not as bad.  I caught viral bronchitis from another nurse once. And I worked a travel job as a CNA while I was in nursing school at a nursing home with a severe strain of norovirus going around.  Like 4 people got transferred to the hospital and died severe. I didn’t get sick until 4 days after I stopped working there. I’m actually not certain I didn’t catch it from eating chipotle instead of from work. 

After that I learned to always clean bathrooms with bleach based cleaners, and if you’ve been exposed to norovirus drink at least a quart of kefir per day for at least 3 days. I don’t think I ever got sick from nursing jobs at all after that. Bruises from getting pinched by people, but not sick. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I think with the gloves and masks, she will probably get sick way less than in the daycare.

Oh, yes, everyone masks! … and also — most residents have received flu shots (and Covid shots) as part of the standard care. I think there’s an option to opt out, but most get their shots. 

My friend who works with elder care rarely gets sick. And our parents in LTC rarely have run of the mill bugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1