Menu

Aaagh stupid check fraud

Katy

Someone used a digital check to pay for a "subscription to a website" that we didn't authorize.  The payment processing company couldn't tell us which website, but the dollar amount was $25 & change, the same as a few video game systems that we don't have.

We called the bank and reported it, but now almost wish we hadn't.  Our account number was changed incorrectly the first time, and now we're having weird issues with the second new account.  And did you realize the price of checks and check shipping has quadrupled since the pandemic?  Order checks and count on paying a $60 shipping fee in addition to the price of the checks.   And again when the bank has to change your account number a second time. I've been on the phone for almost an hour over a weird message we got and no one can figure out what it means.

SO frustrating!

• Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

Someone used a digital check to pay for a "subscription to a website" that we didn't authorize.  The payment processing company couldn't tell us which website, but the dollar amount was $25 & change, the same as a few video game systems that we don't have.

We called the bank and reported it, but now almost wish we hadn't.  Our account number was changed incorrectly the first time, and now we're having weird issues with the second new account.  And did you realize the price of checks and check shipping has quadrupled since the pandemic?  Order checks and count on paying a $60 shipping fee in addition to the price of the checks.   And again when the bank has to change your account number a second time. I've been on the phone for almost an hour over a weird message we got and no one can figure out what it means.

SO frustrating!

Do you have a membership to Costco or Sam's Club?  I've gotten checks through both of them and they are MUCH cheaper than what you are paying.  I think I ordered 400 this summer and the total cost was $22 (with shipping).

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  It sounds terrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Do you have a membership to Costco or Sam's Club?  I've gotten checks through both of them and they are MUCH cheaper than what you are paying.  I think I ordered 400 this summer and the total cost was $22 (with shipping).

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  It sounds terrible.

Thanks, I'll do that in the future.  I don't even like to use checks, we mostly use them for charity and for paying the HOA because for some reason they never get the online ones in time.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

SO frustrating!

Can the bank reimburse you for the first check order since the error was theirs? Particularly if you are ordering through their service.

Weirdly, I seem to think that dh orders out checks from Walmart, you might check them also.

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Can the bank reimburse you for the first check order since the error was theirs? Particularly if you are ordering through their service.

Weirdly, I seem to think that dh orders out checks from Walmart, you might check them also.

Yeah, they did once, then sent checks without my name on them. We ordered again.  It’s been a whole thing and I’ve understated the details. I don’t want to antagonize anyone until the other things are handled. And frankly at this point I’m about ready to use a different bank.  They’re incredibly easy to work with when it comes to mortgages though (the bank is connected to DH’s job). I think I’m done being the one to call for him though.  This is almost as bad as the time they kept sending letters we needed flood insurance even though we don’t.  IME when DH handles things either service improves dramatically or he’s less patient with problems than I am and he wants to quit doing business with them. Sorry for the venting.  I’m frustrated and done. 

• Like 1