Menu

I need sleep solutions...

...for me.

For the past few days I have been waking at 3 to 4 am. Yesterday I got back to sleep after a couple of hours. Today I gave up at 6am and made coffee. Many nights I have taken Benadryl to help me sleep, and it works well, but I feel groggy in the mornings. I don't know if my waking too early is because I have not taken it in a few days. I haven't had this problem before on nights I didn't take the med (I try not to use it continuously).

So who uses sleep aids, and what do you use?

Edited by beansprouts
spelling error

Trazodone, 50 mg tablet. I only take 1/4 tablet or so every night, so I get a very low dose, but it helps me go back to sleep when I wake up. My Dr. told me that I take such a low dose that the sleep help is probably psychological. Lol--I don't care as long as I am able to sleep.

I don't notice any morning grogginess as long as I don't take it too late, but even if I do take it late, the grogginess is minimal.

Trazodone, 50 mg tablet. I only take 1/4 tablet or so every night, so I get a very low dose, but it helps me go back to sleep when I wake up. My Dr. told me that I take such a low dose that the sleep help is probably psychological. Lol--I don't care as long as I am able to sleep.

I don't notice any morning grogginess as long as I don't take it too late, but even if I do take it late, the grogginess is minimal.

Is that available OTC? I really don't have the time or inclination to pay for a doctor visit over this issue.

No, it isn't. I'm sorry. Benadryl is the next best thing. Can you take it earlier or maybe a smaller dose? Perhaps experiment and see just how small a dose you can take and still get help.

Something else to think about--can you wait to take it until you actually wake up in the night, but only take just a bit? I know you would be taking it closer to morning, but just a bit might put you back to sleep without causing too much misery in the morning.

Also--calcium is supposed to aid sleep. Maybe some calcium tablets would help you.

But I remember from a discussion (here I think) that it's actually magnesium that helps you to sleep. Most calcium tablets have magnesium in them. Someone I talked to in real life said she had seen magnesium tabs at Target.

Have you tried melatonin? Or valerian root. Be warned valerian stinks! Even when it is in a capsule. But both are natural remedies that are supposed to work. I haven't tried either one because the cal/mag works for me.

:grouphug:

But I remember from a discussion (here I think) that it's actually magnesium that helps you to sleep. Most calcium tablets have magnesium in them. Someone I talked to in real life said she had seen magnesium tabs at Target.

Have you tried melatonin? Or valerian root. Be warned valerian stinks! Even when it is in a capsule. But both are natural remedies that are supposed to work. I haven't tried either one because the cal/mag works for me.

I learned that magnesium is necessary to take with calcium so that your body can absorb the calcium. So, so calcium/magnesium tablets would be just the thing!:thumbup:

You do know that this kind of wake pattern is a symptom of anxiety?

If that's what it is, I'd address that in whatever way you can.

We have OTC sleeping pills in the house because when I get a migraine, I take pain meds + a sleeping pill and go to bed to have it run its course. The sleeping pills they sell otc in the drugstore are not very strong but they work & they don't leave me groggy.

Magnesium btw, is also sold alone but it's a bit harder to find. I take it alone for prevention of kidney stones. I don't know if it works for sleeping when it's bundled with cal.

Valerian also works. Might be a good thing for you because it's generally a calming herb. I'd strongly suggest some quiet time in the evening, a relaxation CD, a lavender oil diffuser, some chamomile tea and maybe the valerian.

Also, some fresh air and exercise at least 3h before bedtime.

I'm a chronic insomniac so I can give you some info. You have sleep interruption insomnia. I've got sleep onset insomnia. Here is a very long article with a lot of information in it: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_249/ai_114820704

Keeping a sleep diary helps to pinpoint factors that can bring on an episode. Include in the diary every thing eaten and when along with when you go to bed and when you wake up. Stressors and activities need to be recorded too. Also when you wake up, record what you were thinking of immediately after waking.

Limiting caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, recreational drugs, medications, and stress help limit episodes.

Some things that help:

*Sleeping on a schedule

*Exercise during the day, but not near bedtime

*Not doing anything in bed except sleep and s*x

*No caffeine or other stimulants within four hours of bedtime

*Eating complex carbohydrates with a bit of protein before bed helps regulate blood sugar

Having a complete physical with hormone levels and thyroid testing can help find any hidden disorders that may be causing your sleep interruption insomnia.

Lunesta doesn't work for me. It is targeted more for people suffering from sleep interruption insomnia. So is Ambien CR. My drug of choice is regular Ambien. Benedryl is great, but it lasts 12 hours. If you want to wake up and be able to function at 7 a.m., you need to take it by 7 p.m. the night before. Melatonin, valerian, and calcium are all supposed to be good for a more natural approach. I will tell you that my dh takes melatonin periodically, but it causes his colitis to flare up. For that reason, I won't take it. I have enough problems without adding a colon disorder to it.

I have a lot of success with a bowl of cereal and milk before bed. Could be the carbs and the calcium together help. I've never tried valerian root.

Another thing that is great to do, but maybe not so great at this stage in your life, is to ride it out. Before dd, if I had an episode I'd ride it until I crashed. Once I crashed I was good to go for several months. I'm waiting for the day when dd is old enough to take care of herself so I can go the most natural route there is and just crash.

Know that you aren't alone. Hopefully you won't get like me fighting this battle for 20 years.

I have sleep apnea. I did a sleep study a year and a half ago, and began using a CPAP last September. Boy, what a life changer that was! My sleep apnea was mild, but it was enough to make me groggy during the day.

I also know that if I am off my low-thyroid meds for more than a couple of days, I don't sleep well.

Melatonin did not help, nor did any other OTC remedy.

I have difficulty both falling asleep and staying asleep. I can not sleep more than three hours at a time. I am also bi-polar so going too long without sleep can bring on a manic phase. I have tried the following without sucess: Melatonin, Kava, Valerian, calcium, magnesium, trazadone, benedryl. I have never found any OTC that has worked. I used to take Lunesta and it worked really well for about six months and then it stopped working. Regular Ambien works well for getting me asleep but I can only stay asleep for three hours. Ambien CR works for about 4 hrs. If I take two doses per night then I can get enough sleep and not be sleepy the next day. Otherwise, I am sometimes very sleepy the next day and it is hard to function. I absolutely hate it when I am exhausted and can't sleep anyhow. You have my sympathy. :(

If I see a post about insomnia, I always respond. I used to have it. But now I take Calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D every night at bedtime and I sleep allllll night long. This started about 3 years ago.

But about one year ago, I started adding liquid collagen with aloe vera juice and noni to my bed time routine. Now I sleep like I'm a dead person. I love it. The drink is called Sleep Aweigh, and the calcium, mag, vit d is in liquid form.

Good Luck!

Benedryl is great, but it lasts 12 hours. If you want to wake up and be able to function at 7 a.m., you need to take it by 7 p.m. the night

I didn't realise this. I bet that is my problem with the Benadryl.

So I get to have a few loopy hours before bedtime, how fun :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will probably try out several of them.

If I see a post about insomnia, I always respond. I used to have it. But now I take Calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D every night at bedtime and I sleep allllll night long. This started about 3 years ago.

I do have a bottle of calcium pills I have been avoiding. I swear those things are big enough to choke a horse :ack2:

I suppose it is worth a try, though.

I used to go to bed at about 10pm, then often wake up at 2am. I'd get up and read, then sleep a few more hours. I came across a recommendation of trying to work out when your optimal sleep time is - this often changes as we age. The idea is that you go to bed really late the first night (maybe 2am), then slowly work the time earlier, until you start waking up in the middle of the night again. You've gone beyond your limit at that point, so you push it half an hour later.

I worked out that I can't go to sleep earlier than 11.30pm. Now that I know that, I force myself to stay up to that time, and very rarely have sleep disturbances. I get up at 7.30am, so get eight hours of sleep.

Best wishes

Laura

I go to bed really early if I need to catch up on sleep. I tend to wake up early- last week it was 3am one morning though, and I got up and had a warm milk and checked my email (and the boards of course) and went back to sleep at 4.30.

I drink warm milk. I try to be asleep before 10pm. I have a warm bath. I take magnesium.

I have also surrendered to needing afternoon naps, and I thoroughly enjoy the ritual. If I don't need sleep, I rest and read. If I need sleep my body just crashes.

I don't think that the calcium alone will work. I think it's the combination of the calcium and magnesium that do the trick. In fact, it's probably the magnesium alone.

They sell magnesium powder for babies to help them sleep.

The pills I took were Ca with Mg and Vit D.

I would have slept very well last night except the baby was restless for a long time after I brought him to bed. :banghead:

...for me.

For the past few days I have been waking at 3 to 4 am. Yesterday I got back to sleep after a couple of hours.

waking in the mmiddle of rthe night, at 3 or 4, often indicates adrenal fatigue.

adrenal support is in order

1)plenty of vitamin c throughout the day....3,000 or so mg in divided doses.....500 mg before bed

2)250 mg b5 midday....like with lunch

3)plenty of magnesium.....400 mg to 1000 mg depending on personal needs. i can't take most magnesium citrate (one of the best kinds.....) b/c i get the runs. for me, mag glycinate is the way to go but I can only do that with a time released formula and only one company does time release mag glycinate. but if mag citrate works for you, then do that....it's much cheaper.

4)meditation or other relaxation/stress reduction as stress/anxiety wears out adrenals (b/c of increased cortisol production)

You can also try 500 mg tryptophan on an empty stomach, with some clear juice about 30 min prior to bed. tryptophan not only converts to seratonin, but seratonin converts to *melatonin*.

the cofactors for that conversion to occur properly are C and B6.

:)

K

I have had a few periods of awakening at 2-3 am over the years. These periods would last a month or so, and were possibly related to anxiety. I never have trouble falling asleep, but when I start to struggle with early morning waking, I go to sleep with meditation/nature sounds music playing. Something like the Solitudes relaxation CDs. For whatever reason, I sleep through the night when I fall asleep to this kind of sound. The music doesn't play all night, just for an hour or however long the CD is. I think it has to do with brainwave patterns or something....I looked in to the phenomenon at the time, but can't remember the details.

I also take magnesium at bedtime (in a Cal/Mag/D supplement) and wear socks in the winter. Keeping my feet warm REALLY helps me to stay asleep.

I have long periods of insomnia due to a thyroid and adrenal problems. This is what I take in order, depending how bad the insomnia is at the time:

5-HTP

Cal/mag (liquid only)

Valerian root

I NEVER take Benadryl because it prevents your brain from going into REM sleep, so your body rests but your brain doesn't. The supplements I take encourage lots of REM sleep!

• 7 months later...
Guest Steve Harper

Hi,

Caffeine is the main culprit for insomnia. Drinking too much coffee, tea, colas and eating too much chocolate, especially in the evening, can cause problems for sleeping for many people. Also Alcohol is also not recommended – a nightcap may induce sleepiness at first, but prevents you from going into deep sleep, or the REM state, and thus, lets you sleep less soundly.

waking in the mmiddle of rthe night, at 3 or 4, often indicates adrenal fatigue.

adrenal support is in order

1)plenty of vitamin c throughout the day....3,000 or so mg in divided doses.....500 mg before bed

2)250 mg b5 midday....like with lunch

3)plenty of magnesium.....400 mg to 1000 mg depending on personal needs. i can't take most magnesium citrate (one of the best kinds.....) b/c i get the runs. for me, mag glycinate is the way to go but I can only do that with a time released formula and only one company does time release mag glycinate. but if mag citrate works for you, then do that....it's much cheaper.

4)meditation or other relaxation/stress reduction as stress/anxiety wears out adrenals (b/c of increased cortisol production)

You can also try 500 mg tryptophan on an empty stomach, with some clear juice about 30 min prior to bed. tryptophan not only converts to seratonin, but seratonin converts to *melatonin*.

the cofactors for that conversion to occur properly are C and B6.

:)

K

Interesting. My dd (14) has severe insomnia (sleep onset and also interrupted sleep) After he sleep study we found that she only has hours a night of actual sleep. We've tried everything-even the magnesium and calcium. We'll have to give the Vitamin C a try. Would the dosage recommendations be the same for a 14 year old? Is Trypotopohan over the counter. We've tried Melatonin and Rozerem and it doesn't work along with a few other prescribed sleep meds. We are getting so desperate.

One thing no one has addressed about insominia, is Peri Menopause.

I always slept like a log until I hit this phase of my life. Teenagers in the house and the added stress factors of their lives changing only adds to the issue. but waking up at night is a real part of Peri Menopause.

I have used various supplements over the years with success at different times. I recently started on Melatonin with a tad more information that I did previously.

up to 9mg is considered safe.

I bought 2 mg timed release tablets and took one 2mg tablet at first. when I found I was still waking up at 3-4 am, I started adding in a second one. I was still waking up, so I added in a 3rd tablet. 6mg has been working for me for several months now. I am not waking up groggy as I was on Benedryl, which I used off and on for years.

But I remember from a discussion (here I think) that it's actually magnesium that helps you to sleep. Most calcium tablets have magnesium in them.

This is what I was going to recommend. I improved my sleep by switching my calcium/ magnesium to taking just before bed instead of the morning. This is the type I take, it has lots of magnesium in it:

http://www.vitacost.com/Dr-Weil-Balanced-Cal-Mag

HTH

Melissa

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve Harper

Hi,

Snoring is indicative of a situation wherein we don’t get enough oxygen. The process of eliminating snores from our sleep is necessary to achieve complete well-being. Studies have shown that snoring is actually linked to diabetes, depression, stroke, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart diseases. Many anti snoring treatment have been developed because of this.

Luckily there are anti snoring devices that are available today, there is one that you can heat and mold to fit inside your mouth .They also come as throat sprays or nasal strips. There are also homeopathic remedies and electric shock therapies. Other forms include anti-snoring pillows and shirts, strap on devices and palatal inserts, snoring mouth guard and snoring mouthpiece.

have both had issues with this over the years. We've used several prescription meds for it, ambien and rozerum more recently, but my husband finds that regularly taking a magnesium supplement is enough sometimes.

As far as the prescriptions go--I'm not comfortable with Ambien, because I found myself 'waking up' and getting out of bed in the middle of the night. I wouldn't remember it at all--didn't like that! The Rozerum is a prescription formulation using melatonin. It takes a while to become truly effective, so be prepared to make a commitment of several weeks to give it a chance to work well. You may find that using it for a month or so gets you back in a normal sleep pattern.

My husbands Dr. says he sees this often in people as they hit their late 30's and 40's, even those who have never had sleep issues in the past. No explanation as to why--but apparently it is more common than I realized.