Menu

There and back a again! This Hobbit made it home.

Faith-manor

Finally, home. I am so very glad that I laid over one more day. MSP at 1:00 on Saturday begged people to stay of the roads because they were still responding to so many ditch accidents.

We left about 10 am today and there were 3 patches of M28 that were NOT great, but they also weren't treacherous. It was just a matter of going slow, not braking, not getting close to anyone else. I 75 had been cleared down to dry pavement. I did buck a head wind. And it was bad. My car normally gets 30-33 mph on the highway. I got 26.5. When we got to the bridge, there were white caps 4-5 tall on the open water of the Straits. I can only imagine how high those.waves were breaking at the beach along US 2. US 2, when weather is good, is my favorite route because the scenery is lovely, and then in the middle, I head up to Munising and go along Lake Superior. Really, the U.P. is paradise for beauty! It is exquisite, but when Old Man Weather hits, it is a frightful grizzly bear.

I am so glad I did not let him come home with other students from campus. I know how that goes. They are all poor, may not even be 21 and can't check into a hotel room, and inclined to be adventurous and think they can make it when they can't. Several of those cars on 28 that were in the ditch were reported to be college students.

Someone on the other thread - I will also respond there - asked about buses. Buses are not kuch of a thing in Michigan, and mostly limited to the I-94 corridor with city buses in the urban areas. City buses in Flint and Saginaw but not outside of town, and a couple of buses run south to Saginaw, and those are.the only ones that are reliable. There is one bus that runs from the U.P. Houghton/Marquette to the lower peninsula. It routinely cancels or delays in weather like this, and makes so many stops that it can take up to 24 hours to get from those two universities to Flint, Michigan. It is not something students can rely on. I don't like all the money spent on hotels laying over, but I am not unhappy. I will take that any day over my kid being wrecked riding with inexperienced drivers, or left sleeping in a not necessarily heated by station/bus stop in some hamlet along a remote road where the only motels are seasonal and shut down for the winter, and the only food IF lucky, is the gas station. There are whole little towns up there that do not have gas stations as well.

Now I need to think.about the trip to Alabama with a departure time of 6 am the 18th, and I just lost my weekend of prep time! 😜

• Like 23

9 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

No joke! LOL, totally gorgeous vixens!

Picture is not mine but from my area this weekend. Normally we walk out past that lighthouse on the pier and the water is a good 6-8+ feet below pier level. Sorry I don't know who to photo credit.

FB_IMG_1639272145087.jpg

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Picture is not mine but from my area this weekend. Normally we walk out past that lighthouse on the pier and the water is a good 6-8+ feet below pier level. Sorry I don't know who to photo credit.

FB_IMG_1639272145087.jpg

That is an amazing photo! People who do not grow up around the Great Lakes tend nor to understand their power, and their dangers. Unfortunately, this is why we have so many drownings in the summer. Tourists are aware of rip rides and wave warnings when it comes to the ocean, but ignore them here because they think "It's only a lake". Yup nope. 

I feel like this photo should be entered into a photography competition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

That is an amazing photo! People who do not grow up around the Great Lakes tend nor to understand their power, and their dangers. Unfortunately, this is why we have so many drownings in the summer. Tourists are aware of rip rides and wave warnings when it comes to the ocean, but ignore them here because they think "It's only a lake". Yup nope. 

I feel like this photo should be entered into a photography competition.

The photo will likely be in a competition.  We have wonderful photographers here and our area is ripe for beautiful and powerful shots.

You are right, those that aren't local often don't realize the power of the lake.  Sadly we have several drownings a year.   They have started though closing off access to the pier when waves are high and that has helped.   I have taught my kids that if the cement is wet, they are to stop and turn around.  It might be overkill, but the waves can be powerful and sweep you off your feet quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

The photo will likely be in a competition.  We have wonderful photographers here and our area is ripe for beautiful and powerful shots.

You are right, those that aren't local often don't realize the power of the lake.  Sadly we have several drownings a year.   They have started though closing off access to the pier when waves are high and that has helped.   I have taught my kids that if the cement is wet, they are to stop and turn around.  It might be overkill, but the waves can be powerful and sweep you off your feet quickly.

I don't think it is overkill. It can be hard for some people to judge wave height and strength. Better safe than sorry.

Different Great Lake, but this photographer has some good stuff on Twitter, including videos. I started following him on FB because early in the pandemic, he'd make videos he calls 60 seconds of serenity. His photography covers a lot of upstate NY, including lakes, the grounds of historical homes/cemeteries, oddities like an ice volcano that forms yearly, Watkins Glen, and the Finger Lakes region if anyone else is interested in that kind of thing. Sometimes he has videos of huge ships going in and out of tight spaces and trains on railroad bridges in a state park if someone has kids into transportation. I am not sure what he has on Twitter vs. FB, but the Twitter links are easier to share for the lake storm pictures. 

https://twitter.com/john_kucko?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I had it display as a link because it's posting his whole Twitter thread, lol!