Menu

Anyone else into lofi, ambient sounds, ASMR?

alisoncooks

This year I’ve really enjoyed some of the ambient sound videos on YouTube. I tend to gravitate towards cracking fires with warm, fall aesthetic images.  I also like Hogwarts themed ambient stuff (I have a lot of Christmas ones).

I initially started “collecting” these in a YT playlist for my youngest dd to listen to while she did schoolwork. I started with study music and lofi for her - which honestly isn’t for me. But that led me to all of the ambient sound videos: Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Studio Ghibli, dark academia, spooky, relaxing, etc. There’s no end, lol. DD prefers relaxing versions of video game and movie soundtracks (Zelda, Genshin Impact, Hollow Knight, Coraline…)

I’ve always liked having background noise while I putter around. Sometimes movies work, but I’ve come to appreciate the more relaxing sounds. (My family jokes my “crackling fire obsession” but hey — I’d probably be a raging maniac without that chill vibe in the house, haha.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 5

I’m addicted to asmr and use it to sleep every night. My tastes have changed over the past couple of years. I started out liking crinkly sounds then make up rummaging then snack unboxing. Now I listen to a variety and have a few favorite go-to people. Can you share a link or two you like for crackling fires? I like candle lighting too. My dh thinks I’m nuts 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I’m addicted to asmr and use it to sleep every night. My tastes have changed over the past couple of years. I started out liking crinkly sounds then make up rummaging then snack unboxing. Now I listen to a variety and have a few favorite go-to people. Can you share a link or two you like for crackling fires? I like candle lighting too. My dh thinks I’m nuts 😛

Here’s some of my fall-fire collection. 😄

Ancient Library

Halloween Fireplace

Sherlock Fireplace

Just a crackling fire

• Like 3

I love the soundscapes on my Calm app and I now set them to run every night for at least twenty minutes, more if I am troubled. My favorites: Train ride, Coffee shop, Rain on a car window, rain on a skylight, city park and they just added a family dinner one at Thanksgiving, which I also like. Coffee shop is recent and I like that sound too, just random murmuring of people, the whir of the coffee machines, tinkling cups and utensils. 

I don’t like the ASMR stuff I’ve heard, those a mysophonic for me. Things like fingernails tapping or people whispering or eating chicken. No thanks. 

I did not know there was Harry Potter ambiant sounds; I must investigate this! 

Edited by Quill
I always forget those initials

• alisoncooks changed the title to Anyone else into lofi, ambient sounds, ASMR?
50 minutes ago, Quill said:

I love the soundscapes on my Calm app and I now set them to run every night for at least twenty minutes, more if I am troubled. My favorites: Train ride, Coffee shop, Rain on a car window, rain on a skylight, city park and they just added a family dinner one at Thanksgiving, which I also like. Coffee shop is recent and I like that sound too, just random murmuring of people, the whir of the coffee machines, tinkling cups and utensils. 

I don’t like the ASMR stuff I’ve heard, those a mysophonic for me. Things like fingernails tapping or people whispering or eating chicken. No thanks. 

I did not know there was Harry Potter ambiant sounds; I must investigate this! 

I’ve never heard of that app. Off to check it out.

In general, I prefer ambient sounds to ASMR (I also screw up the letter order). I do really like the sound of crackling fire, though, and saw that it could be considered ASMR. 

Re: Harry Potter…Yes! Here are some I’ve bookmarked:

Great Hall (this channel has several that I like — Gryffindor Common Room, Rainy Night at Hogwarts)

Hogwarts

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

I get an autonomous sensory meridian head-buzzy response to a lot of different stimuli, but a lot of the "ASMR" stuff on youtube doesn't do it for me and I don't go seeking it out.

I know what you’re talking about! When I first heard that this sensation was called ASMR, I looked it up. I thought the same as you. Those ASMR videos don’t give that sensation, IMO. Oddly, that happened often when I was younger, but not so much anymore.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:55 PM, Indigo Blue said:

I know what you’re talking about! When I first heard that this sensation was called ASMR, I looked it up. I thought the same as you. Those ASMR videos don’t give that sensation, IMO. Oddly, that happened often when I was younger, but not so much anymore.

If my endorphin levels are low, my ASMR lessens; sometimes it goes away altogether if it is low enough.  I believe it is related to oxytocin levels/release. 

I was amazed that it has a name!

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I've found a few ambient play lists that I like to work with. One is a dark academia library, another is more medieval. 

I watch other types of ASMR videos to fall asleep. I generally watch facial and scalp massage videos. I know it's weird, but they are so relaxing. 

I like the massage ones, too. Noise-only ASMR doesn't do it for me, but watching the massage ones gives me the head-buzzy feeling. 

• Like 1

On one hand I keep telling dh that you can find videos of anything imaginable on the internet (while playing various ambience videos or videos of cats purring), and on the other hand it never occurred to me to look for massage videos.  Definitely going to check those out!