Menu

DH and I finally decided on a closet organizational system! YAY! but

DawnM

they are from IKEA and completely out of stock with no ideas of when they will be back in......boooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find comparable items.   We finally decided to have DH semi-build (so they will be "built in" and he will also design) a closet system with the IKEA modular dressers and the storage cubes.   A comparable set from the container store is about 4x the price.   YIKES.

FRUSTRATION.....JAWM.

You seriously have no idea how hard it is for DH and me to agree on these sorts of things.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I hope you will be sharing details!!!

I’ve been expecting to go with the PAX system eventually, but dh and I have gained a good bit of DIY skill, so we may wind up doing some sort of hybrid. 

Yeah, our closet is oddly shaped and we finally just decided PAX was too limiting for what we wanted.    But more than that.....I realized I want basics......drawers, cubbies/shelves, and rods for hanging.  I don't need all the specialized PAX drawers, pants hangers, etc....

We are planning to use the modular/stackable dressers from IKEA and the Kallax cube storage.   I want way more drawers than most closet systems offer.   

If you don’t want to wait I think Ana White’s website has DIY plans replicating most of that system.  You have to build it yourself but it’s not that much more difficult than assembling stuff from Ikea, and you can probably get better quality for less money. It takes time and tools though.

You can also order precut wood from her company. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I feel this so hard. 

We need new barstools, badly. DH & I have looked and looked and looked and looked. Found great ones at Ikea. Out.Of.Stock.  Forever. Well, not forever-forever, but.....not sure when they'll be back. Because, Covid. Shipping Delays. Etc. 

I'm sorry you have to wait longer on the closet redo. It really stinks. 

2 hours ago, Katy said:

If you don’t want to wait I think Ana White’s website has DIY plans replicating most of that system.  You have to build it yourself but it’s not that much more difficult than assembling stuff from Ikea, and you can probably get better quality for less money. It takes time and tools though.

You can also order precut wood from her company. 

It will not be that easy to create a full modular dresser with drawers, etc.....that is way more work than just installing.  

So we have a plan to combine the Nordli modular dresser system with the Kallax cube shelving.    We will put in rods for hanging and shelves above the rods for storage.   DH will make it look built in.

Our closet is quite large but very awkward.   It is basically a 12x9 space but has a couple of alchove type spaces and has a sloped ceiling, a window, and two small doors for attic spaces that we need to keep free to access.

We plan to start with just one wall that is 8 ft. long and 9 ft. high.   After that, we will see what we want to do.   If nothing else, we can do one wall of Nordli, one wall of Kallax, and two long double rods for hanging with shoe cubes on the bottom and shelving on top.