Menu

Michigan school shooting update for Thursday. Another update, embedded in OP

Faith-manor

I may not post much today. This one is wearing on me. AG Nessel made a statement. That's nice. I like her. I like that she has taken on some really nasty weasels, and stood strong. But, at the end of the days this is Michigan and the powers that be in the legislature really don't give a frick about kids, and many of them are very okay with a lot of kids dying so long as no one tells them they have to be responsible for the gun they purchased. Nothing is going to happen. Wring handed clutch pearls, offer thoughts and prayers, and then move on like it never happened. Same old same old.

Numerous districts in Wayne County are closed today for threats. This usually happens. Copcat threats some of which are potentially credible, some of which are "cool we can get out of school" immaturity spawned in young people who are entirely desensitized to violence. In Saginaw, one high school is open with police presence because law enforcement doesn't think the threat is credible, but of course cannot be sure. It is an unexcused absence if a parent chooses to keep their child home or at least that is what has been reported on social media. I have not seen an official statement on that from school administrators. I cannot imagine being parents and students faced with this. Maybe this is why superintendents get a quarter million a year in salary. Maybe it takes that level of pay to get someone to be willing to sit in the hot seat for these kinds of calls.

https://www.abc12.com/news/in-the-wake-of-tuesdays-deadly-school-shooting-at-oxford-high-school-michigans-attorney-general/article_689761d0-5300-11ec-aa4e-6376a38948ee.html

The entirety of all school buildings in my county are closed tomorrow due to copycat threats. The state police made a statement that there are so many threats, they can't investigate all of them in time to figure out what might be credible or not.

Between the devastating covid in this state and now this, I think the state should just go to online school until after Christmas break. I don't imagine that the kids I know locally feel very safe now, and who can learn when one is constantly evaluating your personal escape plan!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 4

The prosecutor, Karen McDonald, referred to "an additional piece of evidence that hasn’t been released yet” and added “I can assure you it was troubling, it was disturbing, and unfortunately he was allowed to go back to class."

There are reports that he was openly threatening to kill teachers and students that day, which is why his parents were called in, and not only was he allowed to go back to class, it seems that they didn't check even his backpack or locker to look for a weapon??? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 8

38 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The prosecutor, Karen McDonald, referred to "an additional piece of evidence that hasn’t been released yet” and added “I can assure you it was troubling, it was disturbing, and unfortunately he was allowed to go back to class."

There are reports that he was openly threatening to kill teachers and students that day, which is why his parents were called in, and not only was he allowed to go back to class, it seems that they didn't check even his backpack or locker to look for a weapon??? 

No way.   I'm not doubting you, C!   But that just seems like such a crazy, crazy thing to happen.  I can't believe that they wouldn't check everything and remove him from school.  No way.  Please let that not be true. 

• Like 1

• Faith-manor changed the title to Michigan school shooting update for Thursday. Another update, embedded in OP

it isn’t lost on me that there are people all over social media discussing the value of life as it pertains to infants in the mothers womb and those same people are silent about this.

When we have enough info on shooters to have this be a commonly known piece of information, something is very wrong. We don’t have to be this way.

“Many mass shooters opt for an AR-15 or a similar semiautomatic weapon in order to slaughter the largest number of people in the shortest possible time, but this week’s suspect in Michigan allegedly used a 9-mm Sig Sauer that his father had purchased on Black Friday—the kind of gun that fits inside a backpack or jacket pocket.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/us/michigan-oxford-high-school-shooting-thursday/index.html

'Very strong possibility' he had the gun in his backpack during his meeting with staff and his parents.  I mean, wth.  How on earth could this have happened???   
@Corraleno, it sounds like the reports you saw were accurate.   I am beyond shocked.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/very-strong-possibility-suspected-michigan-031244291.html

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

it isn’t lost on me that there are people all over social media discussing the value of life as it pertains to infants in the mothers womb and those same people are silent about this.

When we have enough info on shooters to have this be a commonly known piece of information, something is very wrong. We don’t have to be this way.

“Many mass shooters opt for an AR-15 or a similar semiautomatic weapon in order to slaughter the largest number of people in the shortest possible time, but this week’s suspect in Michigan allegedly used a 9-mm Sig Sauer that his father had purchased on Black Friday—the kind of gun that fits inside a backpack or jacket pocket.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/us/michigan-oxford-high-school-shooting-thursday/index.html

Actually they don't.  Almost all mass shootings are done by guns that are not AR=15 or AK-47 or what is sometimes referred to as ' assault weapons".  It is something like 90% uses handguns.  The guy who shot up the supermarket in Boulder, CO  was first reported as having one of those kind of weapons, but it turned out that he had a handgun that just didn't look like a typical handgun.  The schziophrenic who killed people at the Navy Yard in Washington DC back someime near 2010, was also reported to have an "assault weapon", but actually had a shotgun.

57 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Actually they don't.  Almost all mass shootings are done by guns that are not AR=15 or AK-47 or what is sometimes referred to as ' assault weapons".  It is something like 90% uses handguns.  The guy who shot up the supermarket in Boulder, CO  was first reported as having one of those kind of weapons, but it turned out that he had a handgun that just didn't look like a typical handgun.  The schziophrenic who killed people at the Navy Yard in Washington DC back someime near 2010, was also reported to have an "assault weapon", but actually had a shotgun.

We need more thorough reporting, but I guess that doesn’t get the clicks. 

7 hours ago, TechWife said:

Bingo!