Menu

What some people spend money on!?

Frances

While driving home from a day out today, my husband and I saw what appeared to be a professionally decorated car. Across the back window in very large letters it said “F*** (the name of our female governor). Then where a bumper sticker would normally be, the lettering was “Only a gay cop would pull me over.” The only part that looked homemade was the American flag flying from the side with glow lights on the pole.

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

We have a truck like that it also manages to fly like 4 flags and has a custom wrap job.   Their is a house that has F$%^ governor in Christmas Lights on there 3 story roof.  It's crazy I won't spend that much time/money energy on things I love.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think they ended up making rules about vehicles with offensive slogans over here after a company who hired out vans had really awful stuff written on them, especially about women (eg fat girls are harder to kidnap). It seems to be state by state but basically people driving vehicles with offensive slogans can have their licenses cancelled and the registration for the vehicle cancelled. I'd assume hate speech would be part of that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There was a truck like that locally here that had “You look stupid with your mask on in the car” in professional-looking lettering on it. Really? That’s what you want to say badly enough to have it lettered on your truck? 

There’s also a stupid truck (why is it always a truck?) with a homemade billboard in the bed, complaining about how we are poisoning our school kids with CO2 due to masks. Ah, science. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

When did it become ok to have the F-word  or the S-word printed out? A house in the mountains has several offensive signs (with several choice words) and flags flying, but interestingly enough, they have a beautiful mailbox that looks like a church.  It is stunning.

• Like 4

we  had a truck like that around here, with F (the last president); the sheriff's office actually tried to ticket/arrest/whatever the appropriate option would be for using obscene language in public, and then it ended up getting overturned or something. Then the person added additional hateful stuff after that. :sigh: 

It was awful. The original lettering was huge, filled the entire back windshield (is it still called a windshield, the one on the back??). 

• Sad 1

My neighbor has one that says something to the effect that his super jock kid is beating the "sh*t" out of your honor roll kid. Sigh.

We have numerous flags in this area that say "F*ck Governor Whitmer". One family flew theirs last Christmas alongside their blow up Santa in the yard. I refuse to post pictures of them. It is so gross and vile. Plus, I just don't see the point of putting those photos out there for social media consumption.

It gets really old being surrounded by barbarians. 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Quill said:

There was a truck like that locally here that had “You look stupid with your mask on in the car” in professional-looking lettering on it. Really? That’s what you want to say badly enough to have it lettered on your truck? 

There’s also a stupid truck (why is it always a truck?) with a homemade billboard in the bed, complaining about how we are poisoning our school kids with CO2 due to masks. Ah, science. 

Always.  It is ALWAYS a truck.  SMH

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

DH and I have a game kind of like slug-bug, except we are looking for a special trifecta: a truck modified to roll coal, flying a f*** (politician) flag, with truck nuts swinging from the tow hitch. 

I had to look up "roll coal".  So making a truck belch out black smoke?  Ugh!

10 hours ago, Frances said:

While driving home from a day out today, my husband and I saw what appeared to be a professionally decorated car. Across the back window in very large letters it said “F*** (the name of our female governor). Then where a bumper sticker would normally be, the lettering was “Only a gay cop would pull me over.” The only part that looked homemade was the American flag flying from the side with glow lights on the pole.

What does this mean?  I must be really dumb because it makes zero sense to me.  

And why are the dangling truck nuts usually blue?  Back in my day that meant sexually frustrated. Not something most men want to advertise.

It's the era of populism.  Populism is a synonym for the lowest common denominator.  There's a difference between having low self-esteem and just being low. We're seeing not only low, but people emboldened by their lowness because they perceive it as political power. They don't grasp that they're pawns in a political strategy.

*Note* I acknowledge there's a clear difference between that low person and someone who votes R (or something else)  because that matches long held ideals and isn't thrilled with the populist trend going on now either. I don't want anyone to think I mindlessly lump people into categories.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

What does this mean?  I must be really dumb because it makes zero sense to me.  

That's because you're thinking like an adult.  I assume it's school yard bluster in a subculture where being gay is an insult as opposed to matter of fact statement.  So the moron thinks a cop might be less inclined to pull him over (playing the odds it's a him) if in doing so it suggests to  those driving by that the cop is gay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

That's because you're thinking like an adult.  I assume it's school yard bluster in a subculture where being gay is an insult as opposed to matter of fact statement.  So the moron thinks a cop might be less inclined to pull him over (playing the odds it's a him) if in doing so it suggests to  those driving by that the cop is gay. 

Oooooooh.  How incredibly juvenile and stupid.

• Like 4

We’re much more civilized here in the Deep South. That’s “crude” and “tacky” and its “just not done”. At least in my leafy bubble of a suburb. So while we may harbor evil/besetting sins in our hearts, we do not advertise it. 😉

Edited by popmom

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

We’re much more civilized here in the Deep South. That’s “crude” and “tacky” and its “just not done”. At least in my leafy bubble of a suburb. 😉

In my corner of crass Texas, it's done with pride and wild abandon. You can find cars with "eff Biden" bumper stickers in the church parking lot.  How the heck do you show your face in church with that on your car?! 

I won't say anymore because I'm cranky enough today.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

In my corner of crass Texas, it's done with pride and wild abandon. You can find cars with "eff Biden" bumper stickers in the church parking lot.  How the heck do you show your face in church with that on your car?! 

I won't say anymore because I'm cranky enough today.

Ok you do know that Texas is NOT the Deep South, right? 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Yes, I know that Texas considers itself to be it's own special something. I've lived in Mississippi and Alabama, as well.

Well, it’s unacceptable anywhere. I hope if you ever visit the SE, you won’t see any such thing. 
But I hope you caught my joke. We have hate here, too. 😞 It’s just not on display. But hey…I’ll take it.

ETA I have lived in Texas, too, so I get it.

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, popmom said:

Ok you do know that Texas is NOT the Deep South, right? 😂

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Yes, I know that Texas considers itself to be it's own special something. 

LOL! I think Texas misses the point entirely. Bless its heart. 😉 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, popmom said:

We’re much more civilized here in the Deep South. That’s “crude” and “tacky” and its “just not done”. At least in my leafy bubble of a suburb. So while we may harbor evil/besetting sins in our hearts, we do not advertise it. 😉

I dropped DD off at school in Alabama last weekend. We saw several F*** Biden and Trump 2024 - F*** your feelings bumper stickers there as well as the ever popular and vulgar Let's Go, Brandon.  

I get to see a truck (yep, always a truck) on my drive home from work that says F*** Joe and the [horrible slur for a woman that rhymes with Joe]. Lovely man, I'm sure.

• Sad 5

I've been surprised by vulgarity and just plain meanness among Facebook friends, but at least there is a layer of distance there. It's sort of emotionally deniable... they don't mean to insult  *me*, they wouldn't really say that to someone in person, it's a joke... but this in-person, in-public ugliness is a step in the wrong direction for sure. 

I think the ugliness of "good" people online gives boldness to this kind of thing in real life.

Also, I'm considering thinning my Facebook friends list again. Blah.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elroisees said:

I've been surprised by vulgarity and just plain meanness among Facebook friends, but at least there is a layer of distance there. It's sort of emotionally deniable... they don't mean to insult  *me*, they wouldn't really say that to someone in person, it's a joke... but this in-person, in-public ugliness is a step in the wrong direction for sure. 

I think the ugliness of "good" people online gives boldness to this kind of thing in real life.

Also, I'm considering thinning my Facebook friends list again. Blah.

There most definitely has been a shift over the last five years in what is acceptable. At the very highest level saying the very bad things out load became not just acceptable, but lauded and praised and a path to power. So here we are and I don’t see how we ever go back to basic human decency, honesty, and respect being the baseline expectation.

• Like 3