Menu

Thanks

Drama Llama

Well, I have zero knowledge about extreme cold and definitely will not be stable on it though I am not elderly.

So speaking from that POV, if in some alternate universe I land in some place extremely cold,  I would park myself beside a roaring fire.  Have something hot to drink, warm to eat, a book to read and people watch. Bonus if I can take a nap. 

I have no clue about snow and mobility for younger folks let alone elderly, but I recommend the above definitely. 

• Like 3

My own experience? You need a cheap transport chair from the car into the place. They don’t cost much - certainly less than an ER visit or a ruined vacation. 

Any slope messes with balance and drop foot. “Wobbly” means either balance or strength issues. Call the resort and see if they have a wheelchair there. Then you won’t even need to buy or take one. 

Shoes for Crews. I've walked on oil spills and ice without noticing. The cousins still reminisce about the time there were about eight of us and everyone fell over immediately except for me who helped everyone get off the ice without a single slip. They are truly amazing.

Edit: I'm suggesting these as backup to whatever you decide, not a stand alone.

Edited by Slache

When our son was recovering from the car accident, we used a wheelchair and apart from medical outings, limited trips to places we knew had good ramps and kept ramps and sidewalks clear. One such place was Alma College. We took in some plays and concerts there because we could drive up to the curb, get him and the chair out, and one of us roll him in while the other parked. This avoided rolling through any part of the parking lot that was slushy.

My guess is if it is a decent resort they do a good job with snow and ice removal. I would be tempted to keep a lot of $10 bills in hand, and then any employee who helps get your elder and wheelchair in and out loaded, etc. gets a nice tip. I used to tip $10 at Beaumont because the valet parking attendants always unloaded my mom's wheelchair, helped me get her into it, and then took her inside if it was nice out. I really appreciated that! So check and see if the resort has valet parking. It may well be worth the fee and tips.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

Am I the only sunbelter sorely disappointed that none of the suggestions have involved a snowmobile? Do snowmobiles have sidecars? Do they pull trailers?...or sleds? No wait, sled dogs pulling a sled are would be even better.  Can you rent one? Please, please tell me you can rent one!

Some places do rent them, but not a lot. People get hurt on those more than skiing because with rentals you are often getting someone driving who has zero experience. They are super expensive machines, and they ruin ski and snowshoeing trails so resorts do not like them that much since drivers often are not careful to stay on designated paths. Now if one can figure out how to get elder on and off of a tube, then they could pull said person along fairly easily on the snow. Some ski resorts have tuning hills so renting a tube might be possible. But, getting someone on and off so low to the ground is hard on the care river's back.

They don't normally come with sidecars.

Skis mounted to a wheelchair would make things easier. I have never seen it. But it is something I am sure my very creative husband probably considered at one point!

36 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

You think I have friends?

I think you have us and we’re full of ideas (that you have to do the legwork to pursue . . . You know, in your free time). Acquaintances, relatives, neighbors, . . . you never know who has a chair stashed in their basement because grandma used to live with them or whatever. You could also check out equipment loan closets. Heck, if you’re in central maryland I can loan you a manual wheelchair. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think you have us and we’re full of ideas (that you have to do the legwork to pursue . . . You know, in your free time). Acquaintances, relatives, neighbors, . . . you never know who has a chair stashed in their basement because grandma used to live with them or whatever. You could also check out equipment loan closets. Heck, if you’re in central maryland I can loan you a manual wheelchair. 

In my small Midwest hometown, the local bank that has been there since the 1800s keeps this kind of stuff (wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, etc.) on hand for loan. Many of the bank employees are volunteers for the fire/EMT service and they will also take your blood pressure whenever the bank is open.

• Like 5

Honestly I have seen people stay at home or go to a warmer climate to visit.  

There is a huge amount of risk from a fall, and they do happen.

I am not aware of special precautions for cold weather.  

If you are staying somewhere that he would be indoors maybe it’s not a big deal?  

• Like 1

Altitude is a problem for some people, and sometimes air can be more dry.  

A higher altitude can mean dizziness or getting tired more quickly, while still being minor.  

My step-dad has had heart problems and has to watch this in Colorado.  But it’s definitely something the doctor told him.  

• Like 1

I need to find a link for you, but I just saw a few days ago some little ski-type things that snap onto the front wheels of a wheelchair to prevent them from sinking into snow.

If you have a local Nextdoor group, it's common on ours for someone to ask for a walker or crutches or wheelchair or whatever after surgery, and almost always they get replies from people offering one.

eta: This is what the Wheelblades look like: https://www.wheel-life.com/wheelblades-offer-winter-mobility-wheelchair/

And Walmart sells them for strollers here, which looks the same as the wheelchair version: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wheelblades-XL-Stroller-Skis-Pair/694311292

Edited by KSera

On cleats/studs: I have some for taking out the dog when it’s extra bad out. Personally, I find them a giant pain in the butt to put on and take off, but do it anyway when the ground is super treacherous, only because I have a history of breaking/spraining/straining all of my lower extremities just going about everyday life.

BUT, I also find those spikes very… destabilizing (?) if I have to go on a surface they can’t really dig into.  Like, say, my giant front porch! Or a mostly plowed/shoveled walkway. You know how a dog looks when someone puts booties on them? Me.
II’m just saying, it might not be the right pick for a person with balance or coordination issues, because it isn’t like walking in regular shoes except when you’re on grippy terrain.  (At least, the ones I have.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cool links to mobility assists!  My mother is 93 and skied from when she was three until about 6 years ago.  She loves everything about snow and skiing, so last winter I made a plan to take her to a ski resort and just sit and have lunch out on the snow.  She wore boots and yak trax, and had two ski poles for balance.  I hauled warm stuff, lunch, and two camping chairs out with us.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and I found a spot slightly tucked in next to a tree off the run where we could watch the skiers coming in to the bottom of the lift.  I made sure her camp chair wouldn't sink down and there we sat in glorious mimetic participation!  The skiers were swooshing fairly close so even the sounds were good.  Nobody seemed to care.  Getting her up out of the chair was the only worrisome part, but she had her poles and I hauled her up and sort of dumped her out at the same time then walked slowly back, spotting her.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Cool links to mobility assists!  My mother is 93 and skied from when she was three until about 6 years ago.  She loves everything about snow and skiing, so last winter I made a plan to take her to a ski resort and just sit and have lunch out on the snow.  She wore boots and yak trax, and had two ski poles for balance.  I hauled warm stuff, lunch, and two camping chairs out with us.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and I found a spot slightly tucked in next to a tree off the run where we could watch the skiers coming in to the bottom of the lift.  I made sure her camp chair wouldn't sink down and there we sat in glorious mimetic participation!  The skiers were swooshing fairly close so even the sounds were good.  Nobody seemed to care.  Getting her up out of the chair was the only worrisome part, but she had her poles and I hauled her up and sort of dumped her out at the same time then walked slowly back, spotting her.

That sounds lovely! Truly a thoughtful gift to her. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Selkie said:

The ice cleats you put on boots are called YakTrax. You can also get Swedish Icebug boots that are studded.

These are great - for a person with good balance. I find that they alter the way the ground feels and the way one sets the foot. I would not consider them a great option for a frail elder. Especially when there might be a mix of snow where the spikes sink in and hard icy surfaces there you scratch around on top.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is such a range of how people do at the same age.

A more frail person needs a lot more precautions than a more spry person the same age.

You see a lot of couples where they are the same age but one is much more frail than the other.

What I see is some people starting to take major precautions (like staying home) in their 70s, and then it just depends on the person.  

But it’s different if you know someone is going to be dropped off right at an entrance that is totally plowed.  In places with a lot of snow, it’s more likely they have excellent plowing and not this “we put down salt” stuff.

I don’t know what they are called, but in upstate New York they have these things one person stands on and they do an excellent job on concrete, they leave behind no slush or anything.  

On the other hands parking lots are frequently pretty bad.

But that might not matter.  

I think ask about this where you are staying.  

In the snow and cold the sidewalks are slippery. I always stayed within arms length and the senior person usually was holding on to my arm as well as their cane. The wheelchair is a great idea because parking lots are slippery. Even if plowed the snow falls off vehicles parked and the ice from the wheels drops off in lots as well and the exhaust or heat from cars make icy spots. Walkways may not always look slippery but they usually are, ice under the snow or clear/black ice that is almost invisible. Usually your walking gait is slower- “take tiny steps” .

During the winter the seniors around here are not outside walking. They go to the shopping mall and walk laps. So if he wants to do daily walks he would need to find a mall to walk around in or a community center or gym. 

Have extra sweaters or blankets for him, the seniors usually get cold faster. Also gloves, hat, scarf, lined pants, flannel shirts

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 1

You will need to check to make sure that your condo is handicapped accessible or at least has ramps. I live one town over from a ski resort town, and most of the condos do not have ramps and are multi level even to get to the front door. While the condo associations do provide some snow removal, there will be icy patches.

• Like 3

Agreeing with PPs that Yaktrax etc are fabulous on ice, but terrible on other surfaces, especially smooth floors.  I think for a frail elder who's never used before that they might actually increase the risk of a fall.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

We have two condos.  One we know he won't ever go in, so we'll shuffle people so he stays in the other.  I think we can make that one work. It's got a couple steps, but we have 11 people, most of whom are very capable of helping out.  We may try to time it so one car of people gets there earlier and can shovel the path, put down kitty litter etc . . .  

We really just need him to get in on day one and out at the end.  The condo has a covered porch, so he can sit out there and watch the skiers.  We'll take turns staying back at the condo with him, and of course we'll be there every evening to keep him company.  With covid we wouldn't be going out to eat, or to hang in the lodge anyway.

There are other things that need to happen for this trip to happen, so cross your fingers, but I'm feeling like this issue is one we can solve.  

Kitty litter doesnt melt ice, just helps with traction. Does that area allow salt, which melts snow off a sidewalk pretty quickly? I would think a resort would be responsible for snow removal to their condos entrances, or at least provide shovels or salt, etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

We'll be arriving pretty late at night, typically in that area temperatures at night are well below the temperature where salt works. 

Yes, but kitty litter is only for traction, so the walkway will have to be shoveled thoroughly for the litter to do anything at all. If you are able to shovel, then a layer of the safe-melt type chloride may work. We live in Rochester and use this for 6 months if the year on our walkway, lol. I think some advertise to -10 degrees. Of course it isnt healthy for the surroundinhs so it may not even be allowed. I've never walked on cat litter so not opinion there, is it something you've used?  I'd just be prepared to shovel. I still think the resort would do this as a curtesy to their customers.

Edited by Idalou

20 hours ago, MooCow said:

If he has insurance or Medicare, they will cover either a walker or a wheelchair. You can have his doctor write him a prescription for either one. I recommend using it for a wheelchair because it's cheaper to buy a walker.

They will not automatically cover a walker or a wheelchair. There has to be a documented need & going on vacation isn't classified as a need. I used to work for a medical equipment company. We sometimes did vacation rentals for people, but for people who weren't already set up with services they were cash on delivery.

19 hours ago, Starr said:

There are springy, cleety, things that go over your boots for traction. I would get those and a wheel chair and have fun.

17 hours ago, Selkie said:

The ice cleats you put on boots are called YakTrax. You can also get Swedish Icebug boots that are studded.

13 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

On cleats/studs: I have some for taking out the dog when it’s extra bad out. Personally, I find them a giant pain in the butt to put on and take off, but do it anyway when the ground is super treacherous, only because I have a history of breaking/spraining/straining all of my lower extremities just going about everyday life.

BUT, I also find those spikes very… destabilizing (?) if I have to go on a surface they can’t really dig into.  Like, say, my giant front porch! Or a mostly plowed/shoveled walkway. You know how a dog looks when someone puts booties on them? Me.
II’m just saying, it might not be the right pick for a person with balance or coordination issues, because it isn’t like walking in regular shoes except when you’re on grippy terrain.  (At least, the ones I have.)

I'm with Carrie. Adding something to shoes/boots alters the gait. Altered gait often leads to falls. It isn't just the fall that is the problem - it's that falls often cause already fragile bones to break. Recovering from a break, especially a joint break, is really hard for anyone. For elderly people, it can be life altering in ways that it is not for others. He could go from being able to take walks with his rollater to being bed bound in the blink of an eye. Honestly, GFIL needs to stay inside if he goes with you. The whole thing sounds scary for an elderly person with mobility limitations.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TechWife said:

They will not automatically cover a walker or a wheelchair. There has to be a documented need & going on vacation isn't classified as a need. I used to work for a medical equipment company. We sometimes did vacation rentals for people, but for people who weren't already set up with services they were cash on delivery.

They did for my mom. I was in charge of all of her health stuff. Once upon a time I was knowledgeable in all that was medicare. That's how she got a wheelchair. However, this was over fifteen years.

My thought is if he needs one, then he needs one, I don't see what going on vacation has to do with it except for it possibly being the reason why he finally gets one. 

1 hour ago, MooCow said:

They did for my mom. I was in charge of all of her health stuff. Once upon a time I was knowledgeable in all that was medicare. That's how she got a wheelchair. However, this was over fifteen years.

My thought is if he needs one, then he needs one, I don't see what going on vacation has to do with it except for it possibly being the reason why he finally gets one. 

In order for Medicare to cover it, it needs to be medically necessary. Without knowing details about specific health conditions, someone that can ambulate independently with a cane and with a walker usually wouldn’t have a medical need for a wheelchair.  For Medicare, There is a difference between not being able to leave the house to go to the doctor, grocery, bank, church, etc. without a wheelchair and wanting one to navigate a small area for a very limited time.  If it is only needed in one circumstance that is not an ADL, again generally speaking, a wheelchair wouldn’t be medically necessary. Some doctors sign off on convenience items more easily than others, but that can sometimes  cause problems when an item that conflicts with the convenience item is needed at a later time. Medicare coverage can be finicky, as I’m sure you know. you know. 

ADL = activity of daily living

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I was thinking that that yaktrax were for the people who would be helping him.  So, if he slips they are super stable and able to support him?  I can't imagine putting them on Pop.  

If they’re in danger of falling themselves, then they shouldn’t be helping Pop. They could bring him down with them.