Menu

Heartbroken. This high school is only 40 minutes ish from my house. 😭 update 3 dead. Update #2

Faith-manor

https://www.wnem.com/news/sheriff-multiple-injured-suspect-in-custody-following-shooting-at-oxford-high-school/article_91c027ac-520d-11ec-99fe-17ad10cbfbf9.html

Update, 3 victims have died. The shooter is 15. I have moved on from coffee, and have a lemon drop martini in hand. I am not any kind of big drinker, console myself with alcohol person by any stretch, and have never been drunk. Don't plan on it now, but a little bit more mellow while we wait for acquaintances to post it their daughter is okay or not is called for at this time.

Update #2

Acquaintance is homeschooling her high school freshman because she really needed advances classes not available at that school. She and her kids are home together today holding each other close and hoping that none of the victims are her dd's former friends. Sigh of relief mixed with tears.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 37

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Oh no. 😞 

How long are we going to let this keep happening??!?

I my area, forever. The gun culture is a gun fetish. I know of guys who would not go with their wives to the hospital when their own child was about to be born because it was opening day of hunting season.

There is an an almost addictive, very dark quality to the gun culture here. We have a LOT of military folks around the area, and many of them are positively obsessed with guns and violence and settling scores by violence, and romanticizing Rambo and company. It is very mentally unhealthy.

• Sad 8

• Faith-manor changed the title to Heartbroken. This high school is only 40 minutes ish from my house. 😭 update 3 dead.
  • Faith-manor changed the title to Heartbroken. This high school is only 40 minutes ish from my house. 😭 update 3 dead. Update #2

Update #3. Three are dead. Eight were injured of those eight, two are in surgery, and the others are stable with more minor gunshot wounds. 15-20 shots were fire, and the suspect was apprehended without incident, and is 15 years old. The three fatalities range in age from 14-17.

A comment on local news from a parent claiming to have a child in that school is that her son asked to stay home from this morning because there was a rumor on social media that there would be a school shooting. This has not been verified by law enforcement. Governor Whitmer spoke and mentioned that this is an American problem that needs action (no joke) but that at the moment her focus or whatever is to get resources to the community. And yes, okay...but isn't that always the excuse for not doing anything now???? We have to focus on the immediate tragedy???? And then promptly not do anything. I mean, I get it. Her hands are totally tied in this state. The male misogynist, extreme guns rights advocates control the legislature. So anything she would try would be smacked down with prejudice. But I am really tired of this particular excuse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

11 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Governor Whitmer spoke and mentioned that this is an American problem that needs action (no joke) but that at the moment her focus or whatever is to get resources to the community. And yes, okay...but isn't that always the excuse for not doing anything now???? We have to focus on the immediate tragedy???? And then promptly not do anything. I mean, I get it. Her hands are totally tied in this state. The male misogynist, extreme guns rights advocates control the legislature. So anything she would try would be smacked down with prejudice. But I am really tired of this particular excuse.

Yeah, now we have to pray, right? Because it isn't "the right time". Because we should focus on f'ing healing. It is never the right time. And nothing is ever going to be "healed". If twenty dead six-year-olds didn't sway this nation to enact change, three dead highschoolers won't either. It is sickening and makes me so angry. 

ETA: and I want the adult who enabled a 15 y/o to access a gun to rot in jail. Why the hell are those never prosecuted?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Yeah, now we have to pray, right? Because it isn't "the right time". Because we should focus on f'ing healing. It is never the right time. And nothing is ever going to be "healed". If twenty dead six-year-olds didn't sway this nation to enact change, three dead highschoolers won't either. It is sickening and makes me so angry. 

ETA: and I want the adult who enabled a 15 y/o to access a gun to rot in jail. Why the hell are those never prosecuted?

You nailed it. Hand wringing and prayers. That's it.

And I am with you. A 15 year old cannot buy a semiautomatic hand gun. Therefore, it was procured at home which means it wasn't in a gun safe with a secret code, and did not have fingerprint trigger locks, and ammo was stored where said minor knew to find it, or some adult helped the minor get it illegally. So. Where are the adults who are going down for this? Crickets? Yes, you heard crickets. Gun nutters have no intention of holding each other accountable nor allowing the big, bad gubmint to do it either. There is no death toll that will sway them, ever.

What I would like is for the owners of semiautomatic/automatic weapons who allow minors to have access to them to be tried on t.v. I would like the big bad gubmint to try them and buy the 8-9pm EST time slot on all the major networks and try some of these parents for all to see. And I would like them to be sentenced to some hell hole and have the nation watch them being lead off to be fitted for their orange jumpsuits, and I would be okay with all the drug offenders for possession and intent to distribute to be let out early so the money saved can be used to fund the trial on primetime.

Yes, I am having a very bad day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

This one I agree with.  When my daughter was in high school, there was a girl in her teen class at church.  She had been homeschooled but her parents put her in high school to be the salt and light and thought that we weren't great Christians because we kept homeschooling all of ours- and they wanted to be homeschooled. Anyway, the dad shot himself in the leg while cleaning his gun-and to anyone who knows how to handle guns, this should never happen.  They were having a Halloween party or something similar at their house.  I told my dd that she was not going--I didn't trust those parents at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

You nailed it. Hand wringing and prayers. That's it.

And I am with you. A 15 year old cannot buy a semiautomatic hand gun. Therefore, it was procured at home which means it wasn't in a gun safe with a secret code, and did not have fingerprint trigger locks, and ammo was stored where said minor knew to find it, or some adult helped the minor get it illegally. So. Where are the adults who are going down for this? Crickets? Yes, you heard crickets. Gun nutters have no intention of holding each other accountable nor allowing the big, bad gubmint to do it either. There is no death toll that will sway them, ever.

What I would like is for the owners of semiautomatic/automatic weapons who allow minors to have access to them to be tried on t.v. I would like the big bad gubmint to try them and buy the 8-9pm EST time slot on all the major networks and try some of these parents for all to see. And I would like them to be sentenced to some hell hole and have the nation watch them being lead off to be fitted for their orange jumpsuits, and I would be okay with all the drug offenders for possession and intent to distribute to be let out early so the money saved can be used to fund the trial on primetime.

Yes, I am having a very bad day.

In order to own an automatic gun, you have to jump through a whole lot of hurdles.  Automatics have been basically banned since the 20s or 30s.

But yes, who the h, allows their child to have access to those weapons like that and just allows them in the open.  My kids all learned to shoot in either Boy Scouts (son) or 4H (both girls).  They were using air rifles.  And what I liked about the programs was the safety aspect ruled.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

This one I agree with.  When my daughter was in high school, there was a girl in her teen class at church.  She had been homeschooled but her parents put her in high school to be the salt and light and thought that we weren't great Christians because we kept homeschooling all of ours- and they wanted to be homeschooled. Anyway, the dad shot himself in the leg while cleaning his gun-and to anyone who knows how to handle guns, this should never happen.  They were having a Halloween party or something similar at their house.  I told my dd that she was not going--I didn't trust those parents at all.

While I don't disagree and would feel similarly, DH who works in the ER has had at least one police officer show up in the ER who shoot themselves while cleaning their guns...

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

While I don't disagree and would feel similarly, DH who works in the ER has had at least one police officer show up in the ER who shoot themselves while cleaning their guns...

Sadly I don't believe that being a LEO necessarily means one is competent to have or handle guns. We had a LEO here a few months ago whose toddler shot and killed himself because the LEO left his handgun unattended/unsecured. Tragic, and maybe especially so because the officer was supposed to be a trained professional.

• Sad 3

36 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t know if it’s appropriate for me to complain about this right here, but it’s already inappropriate to exist, so…

NYT really had the nerve to headline “One football player, two others.”

What the frig, people?!?!?  How does any human find that to be a reasonable thing to print?

I only have a digital subscription, but I don't see anything that says that. The headline I see is "3 Students Are Killed in Michigan School Shooting"

The timestamp on that is 2:06 a.m. It's possible that sometime between the time the shooting occurred and early this morning the headline was changed, I guess. But . .  could also be a fake news thing.

ETA: I just quickly skimmed the article, but I don't notice any reference to one of the victims being a football player. I don't see any details about the victims other than their names and ages.

ETA2: I did find this reference in what I think was an earlier update. It's part of the article and seems like normal reporting to me? --

What do we know about the victims?
The authorities identified those killed as Hana St. Juliana, 14; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; and Tate Myre, 16, who died in a sheriff’s squad car while on the way to a hospital.

“There was no time to wait,” Sheriff Bouchard said of the deputy who put Tate, who had been a football player, into his car.

Seven other injured students ranged in age from 14 to 17, officials said, including three who were in critical condition and another who was in serious condition.

Those in critical condition included a 15-year-old boy who had been shot in the head, a 17-year-old girl who had been hit in the chest and a 14-year-old girl who had been wounded in the chest and neck. She remained on a ventilator Tuesday night.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I only have a digital subscription, but I don't see anything that says that. The headline I see is "3 Students Are Killed in Michigan School Shooting"

The timestamp on that is 2:06 a.m. It's possible that sometime between the time the shooting occurred and early this morning the headline was changed, I guess. But . .  could also be a fake news thing.

ETA: I just quickly skimmed the article, but I don't notice any reference to one of the victims being a football player. I don't see any details about the victims other than their names and ages.

Their FB page. Currently marked as 6 hours ago. Will probably flip to 7 shortly. 

• Like 1

Another update:

Two more victims are in critical condition, one in serious condition, and the others stable and recovering from their wounds. One of the students in critical condition is on a vent. The teacher has been discharged.

The shooter is at a juvenile facility and on suicide watch. The 9mm handgun was his father's legally owned gun. So far, no arrest of the father. I hope this community metaphorically hangs the prosecutor if he does not go after the dad. Can't keep your gun out of the hands of your kid? Suffer the consequences along with your child.

I am sooooooo done with the "responsible gun owners" argument. Just don't start with me. I am raw today.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Also, the national media, not known for geographic fluency, describes the community as "just north of Detroit" like it Warren, MI or something, it is in fact NOT. Oxford is 42 miles north of the upper boundary of Detroit. I am 55 miles in some direction from Oxford, but am not at this time keen on disclosing my exact location. So don't think of the community of Oxford as being particularly big city like or "in the city" or of similar culture to a big suburb of Detroit like Rochester Hills, Gross Pointe, or Pontiac.

It doesn’t have to be this way. 

I highly recommend Taylor Schuman’s book “When Thoughts and Prayer’s Aren’t Enough.” She is a survivor of a school shooting & a Christian. The first part of the book is her story, the second part has some really solid ideas on how this could all be turned around. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1