Menu

Breakthrough Covid Ds 22

Ginevra

Ds felt ill Sat and got a Covid test. It was positive yesterday. He was fully vaxed back in April-May. In fact, he had an appt for booster but now he has to put that off. We all saw him for TG but fortunately, it was immediate family only. 

My dd and her husband tested negative today. I had an OTC rapid that was negative too. Dh is supposedly doing a drive through today and younger Ds will be tested this evening with an OTC test. (Which, BTW, are really hard to come by at the moment; I had to drive to four pharmacies before I found stock.)

Nobody else has symptoms and he didn’t have too hard a time of it; fever, chills, nausea. 

• Sad 16

I am wondering if there is a breakthrough case thread, and if not, maybe someone could start one?

I too know some folks having breakthrough cases.  It might be useful to have the info together.

Hoping all boardies and their loved ones have mild cases if they do get infected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SKL said:

I am wondering if there is a breakthrough case thread, and if not, maybe someone could start one?

I too know some folks having breakthrough cases.  It might be useful to have the info together.

Hoping all boardies and their loved ones have mild cases if they do get infected.

I wondered that too. I think a breakthrough case thread would be an additional helpful data-in-one-spot thread, just like the vaccine and booster threads. 

• Like 2

Hey, just an update on the rest of us: rapid tests on myself, dh and ds17 all negative. No symptoms for any of us either. I was torn between not wanting dh to be sick and hoping he would be so he would stop crowing about his “natural immunity.” Haha. Kidding. Sort of. 

We will do another test in a few days but it looks like our immunity held. 

Before TG, I got a nice, large-room HEPA air filter. I have no idea if that legitimately helps reduce virus transmission but I figured it couldn’t hurt. Plus I have allergies to fireplace ashes and I figured at minimum it would help with that. For all I know, it helped reduce transmission likelihood. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 7

Also wanted to say, Hi @Penguin! I think about you every time I head up to the city. 🙂 Hope you are doing well; I saw where there are protests in the Netherlands over vax mandates. Hoping all is well with your people. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe you can just change the title/intro of this thread to make it a general breakthough thread?

My 27 yo eldest, vaccinated w/Pfizer in April, had a breakthrough case in early September.  She had literally NO symptoms and only discovered she was positive because she and her boyfriend PCR-ed as a super-precautionary measure before a planned visit to his 90-something grandmother.  Her boyfriend, vaccinated w/Moderna in April and with whom she lives, tested several times but never got it.

My 25 yo nephew, also vaccinated w/Pfizer in April, had a breakthrough case in late October. He had met up with a bunch of vaccinated college friends for dinner (indoor) at one of their houses.  A few days later he got a call from one of them, who'd had mild symptoms and tested and come up positive. H PCR'ed immediately and came up positive, and a few days later developed mild cold-like symptoms, the kind of aches & tiredness we all used to plow through and keep going to work in the days before COVID.

A good friend of mine here, who vaccinated w/Moderna back in the earliest days it was available here, probably early February, had a breakthrough case over the summer. She regularly does overnight shifts at a local homeless shelter and that is probably where she contracted it.  She had flu-like symptoms that kept here in bed for 3-5 days.  Her husband, also vaccinated probably a bit later (she had very early access because of the work she does) and with whom she lives, never got it.

• Like 1