Menu

Favorite Clothes for Traveling

Soror

We are preparing for another trip to Europe next year for around 3 weeks. As we did on our last trip we will only be bringing a carry on and doing laundry as we go. I made do with things I could find around her locally and what I already had on our last trip but am hoping to plan ahead better this time. Since we pack lightly I obviously am looking for versatile pieces. I'll take maybe 3 pants and tops. I also want items that dry quickly (since dryers aren't generally available overseas and there will be 6 of us). Do you have any favorite pieces? I think I'd like a few different colors of long sleeve shirts and a short sleeve one. I have just 1 long sleeve plain shirt and I've worn holes in it. Any favorite plain tshirts?

I also need a new pair of black pants- I've lost weight since I bought the last pair several years ago. I was never in love with the style so I'm looking for something new. 

I wouldn't mind 1 dress if you have any rec's for that. 

I'm still deciding on shoes too if you have any recs there. I am sure I'll do 1 pair of tennis shoes but I'm not sure what else.

ETA: we will be going around late May/early June; London/Paris/Lisbon; general sightseeing- LOTS of walking

Edited by Soror

I pack similarly, as lightly as I can possibly get away with. I get kinda obsessive about it, honestly, although recently I’ve had to give in and take one extra pair of shoes or my feet suffer too much.

I generally take one or two pairs of pants (black) and a pair of leggings (fleece if cold, always black). These are favorites:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=4057261120005&vid=1#pdp-page-content (Usually they are available in black, I don’t really do colored pants. Terrific for hiking and dry quickly)

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=9855490020005&cid=1059471&pcid=1059471&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ABOTTOMS%3ACATEGORIES%3APants&cpos=10&cexp=1501&kcid=CategoryIDs%3D1059471&cvar=11270&ctype=Listing&cpid=res21112908359303425233486#pdp-page-content (I love these lined pants for colder weather, I also have them unlined for summer. They are easy to wash in a sink and line dry— can be dressed up or down)

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=5983230020003&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=Moto+tights#pdp-page-content
I like that these leggings have a bit of style to them

For tops I just wear t shirts. I usually get too hot to layer, even though I prefer to.

Shoes: Dr Martens and walking sneakers. The day before we left on our last trip to Ireland I bought a pair of Dansko sneakers— they aren’t really my style but they are soooo cushiony and supportive, they truly saved my feet. It was too hot for me to wear boots more than a few times, so the sneakers easily got a couple hundred miles on them and are still super comfortable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bibiche said:

What time of year? Where will you be going? What will you be doing?

Oops, missed that, will edit my post. Late May to early June- general sightseeing, lots and lots of walking. 

We are planning on London (and outside areas), Paris, and will probably have a day layover in Lisbon.

5 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I pack similarly, as lightly as I can possibly get away with. I get kinda obsessive about it, honestly, although recently I’ve had to give in and take one extra pair of shoes or my feet suffer too much.

I generally take one or two pairs of pants (black) and a pair of leggings (fleece if cold, always black). These are favorites:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=4057261120005&vid=1#pdp-page-content (Usually they are available in black, I don’t really do colored pants. Terrific for hiking and dry quickly)

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=9855490020005&cid=1059471&pcid=1059471&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ABOTTOMS%3ACATEGORIES%3APants&cpos=10&cexp=1501&kcid=CategoryIDs%3D1059471&cvar=11270&ctype=Listing&cpid=res21112908359303425233486#pdp-page-content (I love these lined pants for colder weather, I also have them unlined for summer. They are easy to wash in a sink and line dry— can be dressed up or down)

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=5983230020003&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=Moto+tights#pdp-page-content
I like that these leggings have a bit of style to them

For tops I just wear t shirts. I usually get too hot to layer, even though I prefer to.

Shoes: Dr Martens and walking sneakers. The day before we left on our last trip to Ireland I bought a pair of Dansko sneakers— they aren’t really my style but they are soooo cushiony and supportive, they truly saved my feet. It was too hot for me to wear boots more than a few times, so the sneakers easily got a couple hundred miles on them and are still super comfortable. 

Ahh. A woman after my own heart. I was just looking at Athleta. I appreciate the leggings rec. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Columbia has had some nice, lightweight plain t-shirt styles that dry quickly; they have some in lightweight longsleeve styles and they have some lightweight shirts that can be layered over a t-shirt when it is a bit coooler or if you want added sun protection.  I have a dress that I purchased several years ago from Eddie Bauer that is great for travel.  DD has several dresses from Toad & Co. that she likes.

• Like 1

I wore a lot of knit skirts, and abeo walking sandles (they have metatarsal support as well as good arch support).

I have some favorite pants that have spandex/etc.  pack well.  I have several I take with me whenever I go to dd's.  I just wish they had front pockets . . but they're so comfy.  (and look good)

• Like 1

If you have an REI near you, they have tons of great travel-friendly clothes that are lightweight, easy to hand wash, and dry quickly. My kids and I have done many 2-3 week European trips with carry-on only, with pants and tee shirts from REI (and Keen sandals). A couple of other suggestions that worked really well for me: I had two very lightweight, almost gauzy long sleeved shirts, one was a v-neck tunic in a simple print that went with everything and the other was a plain white button-front blouse in a super loose linen-like weave. They were great to throw on over a tee shirt to cover arms when out in the sun for a long time, but they didn't add any weight or make me too hot. My other suggestion is a large scarf or shawl in a very open, gauzy cotton-linen blend that I could wear around my neck, throw over my shoulders for a little more warmth, cover my head when visiting churches or mosques, etc. It was also handy for long plane rides because I could put it over my head and face and have a little privacy while sleeping without it affecting my breathing.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

I have a several versions of this basic Patagonia dress -- one a bit shorter with the wrap style but without the tie, one that basic model, one in black with 3/4 sleeves.  They all have a built in bra so (for someone with my build at least) no more is necessary, they're all 90+% cotton, they all pack beautifully, are super comfortable, and are appropriate up/down on the casual/fancy factor with the appropriate scarf or wrap.

I am VERY VERY BIG on enormous cotton shawl wraps, which I use as plane extra blanket, shawl, emergency towel, emergency ground cover when a little kid used to need a nap, and emergency tablecloth, endless uses really.

Beyond the Patagonia dress, I usually do black leggings, quick dry chino-style pants in a lighter color, a respectable tunic, a couple of thin cotton sleeveless or scoop T shirts, a weatherproof shell.

On the plane (where I inevitably cycle through really hot to really cold) I wear walking slip-on Merrills, the leggings, and a respectable-looking unconstructed cotton jacket over a sleeveless T; and jam a good warm REI layer and an aforementioned enormous shawl along with a proper travel blanket & pillow set.

The other shoes I pack are black decent-looking Merrill sandals (hot trip) or black ankle boots (cold trip).

I can easily go for 4 weeks on this and a bar of travel laundry soap, all good for carryon.

• Like 1

My last international trip was made up of cute sun dresses and tunics, light weight, with leggings. I did not take Any denim because it takes way to long to dry. I travel the same way you do. I did have a pair of cotton khaki/tan capri pants. But they did take longer to dry than my knit leggings, and they were pretty wrinkled so if the hotel did not have an iron an ironing board in the room or to loan, they looked pretty sad.

• Like 1

You're going from likely still quite cool and damp (at least London has been for me in May) to warm and sunny. I'd be looking at versatile pieces.

I think I'd be looking at:

https://wooland.com/products/sierra-tank-dress?variant=39336337244230  Wool wears very nicely--is insulating or cooling and it does so even if damp. You could pair a tank dress with a cardigan or wear leggings underneath.

black moto tights: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=598323002&rrec=true&mlink=5050,12413545,atproduct1_rr_4&clink=12413545#pdp-page-content

some sort of synthetic tank: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=657687002&vid=1&tid=atpl000007&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0WiRTv2hulwfUGHyC5OuDZ5jkBiZN28z0pcjhmcsuuhRUeXGN-Tn5ncaAhBkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content

I don't own these---but some sort of long wool cardigan, either like this: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=599676052&cid=1132787&pcid=1022034&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ANEW%3ASHOP BY ACTIVITY%3ATravel %26 Commute#pdp-page-content or https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=982828012&cid=1132787&pcid=1022034&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ANEW%3ASHOP BY ACTIVITY%3ATravel %26 Commute#pdp-page-content  I'm actually saving up for a merino or cashmere cardigan now....so if anyone owns either, please chime in. 🙂

• Like 1

I hike in these, fwiw: https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-saturday-trail-stretch-pants-1579861.html?dwvar_1579861_color=265  They are nice enough to eat in a restaurant in, they are very sun protective, they dry quickly, and they've held up through some serious hikes. My Columbia shirts haven't done as well--I had a huge tear in one during a fall this summer while adventuring. My trousers came through just fine. If you are at all self conscious about fitting in while traveling though, I don't know that they'd be my first pick, they are obviously hiking trousers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I hike in these, fwiw: https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-saturday-trail-stretch-pants-1579861.html?dwvar_1579861_color=265  They are nice enough to eat in a restaurant in, they are very sun protective, they dry quickly, and they've held up through some serious hikes. My Columbia shirts haven't done as well--I had a huge tear in one during a fall this summer while adventuring. My trousers came through just fine. If you are at all self conscious about fitting in while traveling though, I don't know that they'd be my first pick, they are obviously hiking trousers.

I actually have that style in olive green I bought for Scouts, they don't fit me quite right. Although, as you said they do wash well and dry easily.

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

My last international trip was made up of cute sun dresses and tunics, light weight, with leggings. I did not take Any denim because it takes way to long to dry. I travel the same way you do. I did have a pair of cotton khaki/tan capri pants. But they did take longer to dry than my knit leggings, and they were pretty wrinkled so if the hotel did not have an iron an ironing board in the room or to loan, they looked pretty sad.

I'm nervous bringing too many dresses but do like to wear them generally, I'm afraid it will be too cool.

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You're going from likely still quite cool and damp (at least London has been for me in May) to warm and sunny. I'd be looking at versatile pieces.

I think I'd be looking at:

https://wooland.com/products/sierra-tank-dress?variant=39336337244230  Wool wears very nicely--is insulating or cooling and it does so even if damp. You could pair a tank dress with a cardigan or wear leggings underneath.

black moto tights: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=598323002&rrec=true&mlink=5050,12413545,atproduct1_rr_4&clink=12413545#pdp-page-content

some sort of synthetic tank: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=657687002&vid=1&tid=atpl000007&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0WiRTv2hulwfUGHyC5OuDZ5jkBiZN28z0pcjhmcsuuhRUeXGN-Tn5ncaAhBkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content

I don't own these---but some sort of long wool cardigan, either like this: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=599676052&cid=1132787&pcid=1022034&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ANEW%3ASHOP BY ACTIVITY%3ATravel %26 Commute#pdp-page-content or https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=982828012&cid=1132787&pcid=1022034&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ANEW%3ASHOP BY ACTIVITY%3ATravel %26 Commute#pdp-page-content  I'm actually saving up for a merino or cashmere cardigan now....so if anyone owns either, please chime in. 🙂

Ya, the last time we went at that time it was mostly cool. I don't think we ran into any hot weather but I did want some short sleeves just in case. I love the specfic links, thank you. That is the second rec for the moto leggings. I've seen those recommended before too. I do have a cardigan but it is not in great shape. I LOVE the one you linked but that is not in the budget right now.

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

If you have an REI near you, they have tons of great travel-friendly clothes that are lightweight, easy to hand wash, and dry quickly. My kids and I have done many 2-3 week European trips with carry-on only, with pants and tee shirts from REI (and Keen sandals). A couple of other suggestions that worked really well for me: I had two very lightweight, almost gauzy long sleeved shirts, one was a v-neck tunic in a simple print that went with everything and the other was a plain white button-front blouse in a super loose linen-like weave. They were great to throw on over a tee shirt to cover arms when out in the sun for a long time, but they didn't add any weight or make me too hot. My other suggestion is a large scarf or shawl in a very open, gauzy cotton-linen blend that I could wear around my neck, throw over my shoulders for a little more warmth, cover my head when visiting churches or mosques, etc. It was also handy for long plane rides because I could put it over my head and face and have a little privacy while sleeping without it affecting my breathing.

Awww, I had forgotten about REI. I do not have one close to me but that is a great place to look online and maybe I can get to one in person sometime before the trip.

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

I have a several versions of this basic Patagonia dress -- one a bit shorter with the wrap style but without the tie, one that basic model, one in black with 3/4 sleeves.  They all have a built in bra so (for someone with my build at least) no more is necessary, they're all 90+% cotton, they all pack beautifully, are super comfortable, and are appropriate up/down on the casual/fancy factor with the appropriate scarf or wrap.

I am VERY VERY BIG on enormous cotton shawl wraps, which I use as plane extra blanket, shawl, emergency towel, emergency ground cover when a little kid used to need a nap, and emergency tablecloth, endless uses really.

Beyond the Patagonia dress, I usually do black leggings, quick dry chino-style pants in a lighter color, a respectable tunic, a couple of thin cotton sleeveless or scoop T shirts, a weatherproof shell.

On the plane (where I inevitably cycle through really hot to really cold) I wear walking slip-on Merrills, the leggings, and a respectable-looking unconstructed cotton jacket over a sleeveless T; and jam a good warm REI layer and an aforementioned enormous shawl along with a proper travel blanket & pillow set.

The other shoes I pack are black decent-looking Merrill sandals (hot trip) or black ankle boots (cold trip).

I can easily go for 4 weeks on this and a bar of travel laundry soap, all good for carryon.

Hmmmm. I have a Eddie Bauer (I think that is the brand) dress very similar to that dress BUT it is now too big on me. I need to try it on again. I think it is beyond my skill. I should look into getting it altered and see how much that would be, with a sweater. Any particular boots or sandals you rec? I just ordered some short sorel boots in brown leather as I wear jeans most of the time but they haven't came in yet.

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Columbia has had some nice, lightweight plain t-shirt styles that dry quickly; they have some in lightweight longsleeve styles and they have some lightweight shirts that can be layered over a t-shirt when it is a bit coooler or if you want added sun protection.  I have a dress that I purchased several years ago from Eddie Bauer that is great for travel.  DD has several dresses from Toad & Co. that she likes.

I was just looking on Columbia today but I must have missed the plain shirts the ones I seen had columbia logos on them. 

Edited by Soror

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

Ya, the last time we went at that time it was mostly cool. I don't think we ran into any hot weather but I did want some short sleeves just in case. I love the specfic links, thank you. That is the second rec for the moto leggings. I've seen those recommended before too. I do have a cardigan but it is not in great shape. I LOVE the one you linked but that is not in the budget right now.

We were in London and Amsterdam in mid April a few years ago and it was sweltering— like around 90f. DS and I ended up sunburnt quite badly; I got heat exhaustion bicycling through the tulip fields and was miserable because I’d only brought clothes for cool weather and boots for the wet. That was my last trip without a second pair of shoes; eventually I had to buy a pair of very ugly sandals just to make it through. 
Luckily that’s not likely to happen again! Lol

• Like 1

The facebook group "Travel Fashion Girls" is a great place to see how some style hold in traveling. Everything so far recommended in this thread has been talked about there. 

I'm tenatively planning a trip to London next fall, it would be work related so I need clothes that are a little dressier. I've found lots of great suggestions there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I always travel in waterproof shoes - wet shoes take so long to dry. Gore-Tex is not just for training shoes. I have some presentable Eccos.

I have some gore-tex Ecco's, they are a plain gray so technically would work but they are considerably bulkier shoes than I'm used to. I took them to Ireland last time and my feet stayed dry but are not super comfortable for me. 

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

We were in London and Amsterdam in mid April a few years ago and it was sweltering— like around 90f. DS and I ended up sunburnt quite badly; I got heat exhaustion bicycling through the tulip fields and was miserable because I’d only brought clothes for cool weather and boots for the wet. That was my last trip without a second pair of shoes; eventually I had to buy a pair of very ugly sandals just to make it through. 
Luckily that’s not likely to happen again! Lol

LOL, ya, one never knows!

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

The facebook group "Travel Fashion Girls" is a great place to see how some style hold in traveling. Everything so far recommended in this thread has been talked about there. 

I'm tenatively planning a trip to London next fall, it would be work related so I need clothes that are a little dressier. I've found lots of great suggestions there. 

Cool I'll check it out

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Soror said:

I was just looking on Columbia today but I must have missed the plain shirts the ones I seen had columbia logos on them. 

Mine are several years old so they may have changed.  More recently, I got some at an Eddie Bauer outlet; I am not seeing the same items on the Eddie Bauer website.  

I like the Columbia camp shirts for travel because of secure pockets.  Depending upon the climate and time of year, I plan on a pair of hiking, capri length pants, a pair of long hiking pants, a pair of knit or lightweight pants that could be worn either sightseeing during the day or dressed up a bit with a shawl or different shirt for evenings, and a dress that can span from casual to a bit more dressy.  All of the pants can dry overnight except in the most humid of climates.  I usually take hiking shoes, a pair of lightweight tennis shoes, and a pair of comfortable shoes like flats or sandals.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

Mine are several years old so they may have changed.  More recently, I got some at an Eddie Bauer outlet; I am not seeing the same items on the Eddie Bauer website.  

I like the Columbia camp shirts for travel because of secure pockets.  Depending upon the climate and time of year, I plan on a pair of hiking, capri length pants, a pair of long hiking pants, a pair of knit or lightweight pants that could be worn either sightseeing during the day or dressed up a bit with a shawl or different shirt for evenings, and a dress that can span from casual to a bit more dressy.  All of the pants can dry overnight except in the most humid of climates.  I usually take hiking shoes, a pair of lightweight tennis shoes, and a pair of comfortable shoes like flats or sandals.  

Maybe- checking out the EB outlet now. 

Already I have:

-teal joggers (from Target) fit perfectly and gray REI hiking pants (new with tags from Goodwill)

-Eddie Bauer knit wrap dress- this would have to be taken in to make it work- might be better off to shop for a smaller one used

-coming Black moto Athleta leggings; light gray cashmere shawl/cardigan

Need short sleeve and long sleeve shirts- maybe a short sleeve white and bright color and 1 dark long sleeve one

do I want 1 more pair of pants??

athletic socks- the elastic is worn out on mine

Shoes? I have some tennis shoes that would probably work- do I want some slip ons too? I have some pretty comfy leather flats but not sure how they will hold up to a day of walking- on the other hand they are very compact. I do not have any good walking sandals. I bought cheap ones last year and the sole is literally worn through. 

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Maybe- checking out the EB outlet now. 

Already I have:

-teal joggers (from Target) fit perfectly and gray REI hiking pants (new with tags from Goodwill)

-Eddie Bauer knit wrap dress- this would have to be taken in to make it work- might be better off to shop for a smaller one used

-coming Black moto Athleta leggings; light gray cashmere shawl/cardigan

Need short sleeve and long sleeve shirts- maybe a short sleeve white and bright color and 1 dark long sleeve one

do I want 1 more pair of pants??

athletic socks- the elastic is worn out on mine

Shoes? I have some tennis shoes that would probably work- do I want some slip ons too? I have some pretty comfy leather flats but not sure how they will hold up to a day of walking- on the other hand they are very compact. I do not have any good walking sandals. I bought cheap ones last year and the sole is literally worn through. 

Much depends upon what types of sites you want to visit (and what the weather forecast is like).  Personally, I don't like leggings for all day sightseeing.  I find they get clinging and rub.  They can also get hot in warm, humid weather.  There is a range of what people refer to as "leggings" but when I was last in Italy, leggings without a longer tunic were not considered appropriate dress for some churches and other sights.  

I try to avoid white shirts when traveling--invariably I get something spilled all down the front.  I also like to have something (a pair of breezy pants or a loose dress) that can be worn over a bathing suit if I might be out and about near a beach or lake or if I want a quick coverup at a hotel pool.  

I tend to slip easily, especially on old stone paths, so the treads on shoes are very important to me.  I also have trouble wearing the same shoes day after day, no matter how comfortable the shoes are I need to switch out.  I generally find a nice travel sandal (that isn't too bare) gives me enough "shoe" look for a nice restaurant or outing, but can be worn for a day of walking, or slipped on quickly at a beach works better for me than flats--but that is somewhat just what is comfortable to me (and if my feet hurt I am miserable).

• Like 1

The company Travel Smith is completely dedicated to travel clothes and accessories. They also have a catalog. Chico's has a travel line. The catalogs The Walking Company and Foot Smart have comfortable shoes and finally if you look on Pinterest for most comfortable travel pants ormost comfortable travel shoes they come up with some really good lists.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Much depends upon what types of sites you want to visit (and what the weather forecast is like).  Personally, I don't like leggings for all day sightseeing.  I find they get clinging and rub.  They can also get hot in warm, humid weather.  There is a range of what people refer to as "leggings" but when I was last in Italy, leggings without a longer tunic were not considered appropriate dress for some churches and other sights.  

I try to avoid white shirts when traveling--invariably I get something spilled all down the front.  I also like to have something (a pair of breezy pants or a loose dress) that can be worn over a bathing suit if I might be out and about near a beach or lake or if I want a quick coverup at a hotel pool.  

I tend to slip easily, especially on old stone paths, so the treads on shoes are very important to me.  I also have trouble wearing the same shoes day after day, no matter how comfortable the shoes are I need to switch out.  I generally find a nice travel sandal (that isn't too bare) gives me enough "shoe" look for a nice restaurant or outing, but can be worn for a day of walking, or slipped on quickly at a beach works better for me than flats--but that is somewhat just what is comfortable to me (and if my feet hurt I am miserable).

Yes, for sure on where you are going. We do not plan to visit many churches at all. We did not plan any swimming but if that changes I'll likely bring a light dress for cover up. We're not big on swimming. I'm torn on the white shirt. I've been wearing nothing but dark clothes for ages and am sick of it. I think I'd risk it and bring a travel stainstick. 

I bought a pair of Merrill Vibram walking/hiking shoes when we went to Ireland.  I need comfort, traction, and to keep my feet dry.  They are not dressy looking but they made all the walking so comfortable which was my priority. Tennis shoes would have killed my back.  I can’t remember if I brought my black ballet style Crocs as a church/dinner pair or not. They are also comfy and easy to pack.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Target has cute T shirts in a wide variety of colors that are not too heavy. Universal Threads. They have a bit of a texture and would probably look good even after hand washing. Cheap too. Maybe $10 or so?

Eileen Fisher has cute tees made out of cotton and other material that would do well with hand washing. Nordstrom Rack usually has some.

I walk a lot in my Skecher Bob shoes that have memory foam. I have some loafers, sporty sneakers and short, lightweight boots. They fit well and are comfy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

Nice! Some of those are nuts (in my world heels don't even make it into my regular wardrobe) but there are some I really like and are exactly in the direction I am aiming. 

• Like 1

My essentials are always

Underwear and lots of it. I almost have laundry facilities where I go, including my parents place. But a dryer exists mostly in America. So drying always is weather dependent. But you can always wash underwear in a hotel sink if need be. So I always pack extra, extra underwear even if I have to rewear clothes.

Leggings.

Carry a Hoodie. For all the places you will be cold. 

Pack a light weight sweater. You cannot always wear a hoodie to all places. 

Long, lightweight scarf that can double as a sort of blanket.

Good walking shoes. cannot emphasize this enough. Do not wear brand new shoes. Break them in before you go.

A good pair of flats.

Extra pair of flats. I would leave heels home unless you are Posh Spice or Beyonce.

Umbrella for each person that packs small in their bag/backpack. Cannot emphasize enough how much this has saved us.

Hat.

Sunglasses

Socks

Try to lay out clothes and try to make approximate combinations you may wear so you do not carry a lot. Then pack an extra pair of pants and top so you have back up.

Things of note.

Get packing cubes. Roll and pack.

Again always assume even if you can wash, drying may not always be possible in time so pack accordingly.

Dry fit type clothes that are easier to dry.

Avoid jeans at all if possible. Really hard to dry

• Like 1