Menu

2021 Christmas Decor Ideas, Tips, Questions, Sharing

TechWife

I thought it would be fun to put all of our decor related posts in one place. Do you have a question? A decorating tradition to share? Want to share your setup? Have some ideas you want to share? No matter your style, this is the place.

Jump in, everyone! 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my fireplace. Yesterday we put up a wreath over it, attached with two command strip hooks. It looked lovely. We put the fire on last evening. The adhesive in the command strips melted, causing it to fall on one side and when we took it down we realized the wreath itself was smelling like burning plastic, so it was starting to melt. The wall gets really hot. 
Any ideas on what else I can do with this space to make it stand out? 

93F32704-F51E-4C67-80C5-68215CF4DC0C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• TechWife changed the title to Christmas Decor Ideas, Tips, Questions, Sharing

Get a metal wreath of some kind?  Maybe have some sort of hanger permanently installed because you'll have this problem every year.  Or, hang something from the ceiling?  I vote for this because it's your effort and not mine. 

My question is, where can I order the prettiest prelit birch trees for the most reasonable price.  I don't want them to look like coat hangers with lights twist tied to them, but I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I made three of these for the front porch posts at the Alabama house. I am posting them (UPS) to Dd tomorrow. Easy peasy. I shopped the pre-black Friday sales for Joann online. I actually ended up paying only $2.00 per wreath of berry garland and $1.25 for the bow with evergreen and pinecones. I bought a whole bunch of extra bows so when they hang the lights from the porch, they can tie it up with more bows. All I had to do was unwind and straighten out the garland, and then shape into the size circle I wanted. Then I put the bow on using the twisty tie that holds the bow together. This was a 60 second per wreath job! We will store them in a tub for next uear, and probably use them every year until they fall apart from weathering.

260441457_1799490466912991_851176954035465498_n.jpg

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 10

I posted this on K - 8, but thought it would go here too:

When my boys were 10 and under I would order Christmas books from the library.

I'd get the books home, wrap them, and put them under the tree.

Then every evening in December I'd tell my boys that they could each pick one wrapped book every evening. The boys would get to open the "gift" and get a great read-aloud that very evening.

I don't know who loved this more: me or the boys.  🥰

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I am anxiously awaiting what decoration the monolith turns into for Christmas.  Maybe hive members also need their own monoliths?

Ooohhh!  Christmas dragons!  Those look very cool!

Yes we anxiously await the offering of an image of the monolithic god of decoration and mystic messaging! 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Then every evening in December I'd tell my boys that they could each pick one wrapped book every evening. The boys would get to open the "gift" and get a great read-aloud that very evening.

I did this, too. I would also buy Christmas/Winter books at the thrift store all year long. Also - I added little love notes to the book that would fall out when reading- such good memories. 

Since then I thought it would be nice to wrap up novels with lovely Christmas chapters and put a bookmark in them for that chapter. 

• Like 2

Just finished the decorating. The tree takes forever, especially when you need to replace all the dead light strings. But this is my favorite corner of the house. I took the picture standing on the sofa where I plan to spend December.

Many of our decorations are actually for kids, but lots of good memories in them. That's the Lego Winter Village on the piano and we have the Little People Manger and Christmas tree sets plus the Playmobil manger set. Youngest went back to college today--missed their help today!

IMG_9894.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Many of our decorations are actually for kids, but lots of good memories in them. That's the Lego Winter Village on the piano and we have the Little People Manger and Christmas tree sets plus the Playmobil manger set. Youngest went back to college today--missed their help today!

IMG_9894.JPG

This is beautiful. I love that you still put out the little people and Lego and playmobil sets. I kind of regret we never bought one of the little people Christmas sets for my kids to grow up with (our playmobil one has gotten all separated, so maybe I will get a new one since I still have kids that age.) We do have a wooden Haba nativity I bought when my oldests were little, and it still gets brought out and played with each year. 

• Like 5

We juuuust finished putting up the tree and interior garland yesterday. I still have to put the boxes/bins away. The outside of our house looks naked b/c we have new landscape plants going in next week but, as soon as the newbies are in, I’ll hang a couple of wreaths on the windows and garland around the door and call it good. I did absolutely nothing outside last year and my new neighbors across the street change their door signage and porch decor every flipping month. I’m feeling shamed/attacked, lol.

image.jpg

• Like 19

@TechWifeI know a mantle takes away from the clean, modern look but I’d maybe add this for the long term. In the short term, maybe a permanent peg for a piece of metal/wood sculpture in the off-season that you can use to hang a metal/wood wreath during the holidays?? If that doesn’t appeal, maybe a swag of garland above/around the windows will lend a festive air? You have such a gorgeous house, definitely garland the staircase!!

443650D2-8933-45D7-976F-FA95F135E459.jpeg

9EA810DC-7C9E-473C-AF41-99F472D95899.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Get a metal wreath of some kind?  Maybe have some sort of hanger permanently installed because you'll have this problem every year.  Or, hang something from the ceiling?  I vote for this because it's your effort and not mine. 

My question is, where can I order the prettiest prelit birch trees for the most reasonable price.  I don't want them to look like coat hangers with lights twist tied to them, but I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

That’s really neat, but wow. I don’t have the time or patience right now! 
Have you looked at Michael’s for the birch? They have this on clearance.  I have the prelit dogwood from the same company and it’s really nice. I have it in a vase  & I didn’t put the base on for that reason. 

10 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I made three of these for the front porch posts at the Alabama house. I am posting them (UPS) to Dd tomorrow. Easy peasy. I shopped the pre-black Friday sales for Joann online. I actually ended up paying only $2.00 per wreath of berry garland and $1.25 for the bow with evergreen and pinecones. I bought a whole bunch of extra bows so when they hang the lights from the porch, they can tie it up with more bows. All I had to do was unwind and straighten out the garland, and then shape into the size circle I wanted. Then I put the bow on using the twisty tie that holds the bow together. This was a 60 second per wreath job! We will store them in a tub for next uear, and probably use them every year until they fall apart from weathering.

260441457_1799490466912991_851176954035465498_n.jpg

That’s lovely! I learned how to make some wreathes this year - my door will never be the same. I’m sure your dd will love these! 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TechWife said:

That’s really neat, but wow. I don’t have the time or patience right now! 
Have you looked at Michael’s for the birch? They have this on clearance.  I have the prelit dogwood from the same company and it’s really nice. I have it in a vase  & I didn’t put the base on for that reason. 

Wow, that's a great price.  I might by it without seeing it in person for that price.  That's the size I want too.  Thanks!

update . . . out of stock at my store.  Booo! There are 12 stores in a 20 mile radius and they are all out of stock.  It must be really pretty in person.

Edited by KungFuPanda

8 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I pulled out our copy of The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey and put it on the coffee table yesterday along with a few other advent books. Those childhood books bring back such sweet memories. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Just finished the decorating. The tree takes forever, especially when you need to replace all the dead light strings. But this is my favorite corner of the house. I took the picture standing on the sofa where I plan to spend December.

IMG_9894.JPG

That looks so cozy & I love that you have the children’s play sets out - how fun.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, happi duck said:

@TechWife

I like the idea of stuff hanging down from the ceiling in front of the fireplace.  Fairy lights?  Ornaments on fishing line?  Wide ribbons?

I also like the idea of focusing on the windows.

Fairy lights actually sound really neat. I’ll give that some thought this week. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TechWife said:

This is my fireplace. Yesterday we put up a wreath over it, attached with two command strip hooks. It looked lovely. We put the fire on last evening. The adhesive in the command strips melted, causing it to fall on one side and when we took it down we realized the wreath itself was smelling like burning plastic, so it was starting to melt. The wall gets really hot. 
Any ideas on what else I can do with this space to make it stand out? 

93F32704-F51E-4C67-80C5-68215CF4DC0C.jpeg

something made from metal or glass. (something like below)  Not affected by heat.  Do you know what the temps are like?

I would agree, a diamond tipped drill bit and a permanent hook you can use for whatever you hang there.

pkbluewreath1.jpeg.d01e84f84ef65ca84526ceb41b6a60fe.jpeg

You could even do something with mini-lights, an outline of something.

• Like 3

Here is photo of some of the things I made for fall. The candle though is for year round and the things around it changes. I made six of them and they go on the mantle shelf and various other places. The candle jar will be emptied this week, softener salt layer 2 inches in the bottom (makes great looking fake snow/ice crystals), and the pine cones will be re-used. Simple dollar store silver, gold, and purple minor ornaments (balls) will be layered with the pine cones, and the berries on the outside will remain as well. Then they will be placed with the candles that have the flocked lamb's ears.

received_3018170535091488.jpeg

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Oh I LOVE this!! 

• Like 1

I’ve been feeling really down the past couple of days so yesterday we decided to put up the tree. The past couple of years I've been decorating even lighter than usual because of the kitties, but DH agreed to try the big fake tree as an experiment (he actually offered to get a real one, but I’m a little nervous given how much the kitten lives to climb). Anyway, we’ve never started decorating so early but I have to say it’s making me happy. I bought some really cute led lights at target and even though that’s all we have on the tree so far, it looks really pretty. Last night the kitties played hide and seek with each other around the tree and took turns napping underneath. 😻

I tend to decorate slowly. It’s more seasonal for me, not just for the holidays. Yesterday at Trader Joe’s I bought a small wooden box with paper whites that looks really pretty on my mantle, and this week I’ll go out hiking and clip some fresh greenery to have in places where the kitties can’t reach. I bought a fresh wreath yesterday, too, so now opening my front door smells really yummy. 🙂 

And best of all—and I can hardly believe it might happen— my boy might be coming home early from university for winter break! It seems he’s already finished one of his classes and has his last final over a week before he expected (and it’s online so he can take it from here) so he’s trying to change his ticket home! He might be here in a couple weeks… I'm beyond excited! ❤️

image.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I’ve been feeling really down the past couple of days so yesterday we decided to put up the tree. The past couple of years I've been decorating even lighter than usual because of the kitties, but DH agreed to try the big fake tree as an experiment (he actually offered to get a real one, but I’m a little nervous given how much the kitten lives to climb). Anyway, we’ve never started decorating so early but I have to say it’s making me happy. I bought some really cute led lights at target and even though that’s all we have on the tree so far, it looks really pretty. Last night the kitties played hide and seek with each other around the tree and took turns napping underneath. 😻

I tend to decorate slowly. It’s more seasonal for me, not just for the holidays. Yesterday at Trader Joe’s I bought a small wooden box with paper whites that looks really pretty on my mantle, and this week I’ll go out hiking and clip some fresh greenery to have in places where the kitties can’t reach. I bought a fresh wreath yesterday, too, so now opening my front door smells really yummy. 🙂 

And best of all—and I can hardly believe it might happen— my boy might be coming home early from university for winter break! It seems he’s already finished one of his classes and has his last final over a week before he expected (and it’s online so he can take it from here) so he’s trying to change his ticket home! He might be here in a couple weeks… I'm beyond excited! ❤️

image.jpg

That looks really nice!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MEmama said:

image.jpg

That looks so pretty! I saw those little planters of narcissus at TJ's this morning and almost bought one, but I already had a huge herb planter (rosemary, thyme, and sage) in my cart and a ton of other stuff and I didn't get it — but it looks so pretty on your mantel I might have to go back and get one. I'm so happy for you that your kiddo is coming home early — mine has his last final on the very last day, so he won't be home until the 19th, which is much later than last year. I'm a bit bummed about that, I can't wait to spoil him with yummy food!

• Like 1

No tree yet. (We buy natural trees and don't usually put it up until sometime between the 10th and 15th of the month.) However, we unpacked the interior decor on Friday. 

The living room in this house is larger than what we have had previously, so our stock of stuff looks a lot more sparse. It should look a little more festive once we do put up a tree, though. The plan is to put it up in front of the windows just out of frame on the right side of the photo.

(Please ignore the empty "fireplace" prominently featuring construction materials. If I can scrape together enough energy to do so, I plan to put away the project supplies and mock up something that looks like a fire to sit there for the season. Eventually, I will finish the tiling around the opening and order an electric unit to fit in there permanently.)

IMG_20211127_172334073.jpg

• Like 14

22 hours ago, Kareni said:

We decorated our tree yesterday. Here is a picture ~

20211127_133443.thumb.jpg.1043eb0902edf09bf6d1451a2b560661.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

It's tough to tell in the pic I posted, but a significant chunk of our decorations is made up of holiday-themed Beanie Babies my mother-in-law collected. We have an angel bear exactly like yours up in the arched opening above the TV.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

It's tough to tell in the pic I posted, but a significant chunk of our decorations is made up of holiday-themed Beanie Babies my mother-in-law collected. We have an angel bear exactly like yours up in the arched opening above the TV.

I do see them now; it's a fun collection you have there.

My daughter grew up during the Beanie Baby craze and accumulated quite a number. When she decided to give away her collection, I saved the white bears. It's fun to see them again each year over the holidays.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Faith-manor said:

Techwife, maybe focus on the windows along the side. They could have swags of garland with whatever colors you like over the windows. Then maybe do some color opposite the lanterns. A copper vase/umbrella stand full of rolls of wrapping paper would be pretty.

I like the idea of the wrapping paper rolls. I may head to the thrift store to look for something to put them in. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, Harriet Vane said:

@TechWife I'd focus on the windows and on the space in front of the fireplace. Consider wreaths or gorgeous swags on the windows. In front of them or in front of the fireplace, arrange some poinsettia or woven willow cones or rosemary bushes. 

Do you mean under the fireplace for the plants? That has possibly, too. Something other than poinsettia because we have cats. 

I’m loving the creative ideas I’m getting! 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:32 PM, Kareni said:

I vote for something metal, but the mounting might prove challenging. Some of these are year round rather than holiday themed.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Regards,

Kareni

These are all great ideas. I’ve also been trying to figure out what to put there all year round, so this is good. The only problem I would have is figuring out how to hang it since the command strips didn’t work. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

@TechWifeI know a mantle takes away from the clean, modern look but I’d maybe add this for the long term. In the short term, maybe a permanent peg for a piece of metal/wood sculpture in the off-season that you can use to hang a metal/wood wreath during the holidays?? If that doesn’t appeal, maybe a swag of garland above/around the windows will lend a festive air? You have such a gorgeous house, definitely garland the staircase!!

443650D2-8933-45D7-976F-FA95F135E459.jpeg

9EA810DC-7C9E-473C-AF41-99F472D95899.jpeg

Those mantles do look very clean. And yes, the staircase is getting garland on the bannister. We have a second tree on the landing at the top of the stairs and the bannisters in that upstairs landing are getting garland as well. Our outside is fully decorated and the inside is about 2/3 done. I’m hosting a gathering this weekend so I need to get a move on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Here is photo of some of the things I made for fall. The candle though is for year round and the things around it changes. I made six of them and they go on the mantle shelf and various other places. The candle jar will be emptied this week, softener salt layer 2 inches in the bottom (makes great looking fake snow/ice crystals), and the pine cones will be re-used. Simple dollar store silver, gold, and purple minor ornaments (balls) will be layered with the pine cones, and the berries on the outside will remain as well. Then they will be placed with the candles that have the flocked lamb's ears.

received_3018170535091488.jpeg

I’m going to have to remember the salt for snow trick. Decorating can be so much fun. Do you watch any of the Dollar Tree craft programs? They’re fascinating - people are so creative! 

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

image.jpg

Glad decorating is lifting your mood a bit. Hope your boy comes home soon! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I’m going to have to remember the salt for snow trick. Decorating can be so much fun. Do you watch any of the Dollar Tree craft programs? They’re fascinating - people are so creative! 

Hi, no I haven't watched any of those. I have all this kind of crazy, on a budget think outside the box stuff in my head from the six years that I did event planning and custom florals and decorations for things like weddings, baby showers, bridal showers, corporate banquets. Occasionally Robin will see something on Pinterest and say "Mom how can we do this cheap?" And then I produce. 😁 My only girl. I am weak!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My house is in a state of complete disarray at this point. I'm in the middle of rearranging 3 rooms (and painting one of them!) and the loving room upstairs and rec room downstairs have become the way points between the rooms. So, there is no real decorating happening yet. Just a giant clustery mess. However, between coats of wall paint, while in my painting clothes this weekend, I did decide to try a cheap decorating hack that I saw on TikTok. Dollar store acrylic paint, a fat poster Sharpie, and a window. So far, I have only done one of the living room windows as a trial run.

You can see the leather recliner and decorative planter just planted in the middle of the living room through the window. 😂

1E0C77FD-5607-420E-9006-B830C67819A9.jpeg

55B91974-56BF-44F0-A9FB-26506401EE0C.jpeg

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 15

36 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

My house is in a state of complete disarray at this point. I'm in the middle of rearranging 3 rooms (and painting one of them!) and the loving room upstairs and rec room downstairs have become the way points between the rooms. So, there is no real decorating happening yet. Just a giant clustery mess. However, between coats of wall paint, while in my painting clothes this weekend, I did decide to try a cheap decorating hack that I saw on TikTok. Dollar store acrylic paint, a fat poster Sharpie, and a window. So far, I have only done one of the living room windows as a trial run.

You can see the leather recliner and decorative planter just planted in the middle of the living room through the window. 😂

I love this! So stinkin’ cheeky!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fraidycat said:

Snowman make me happy! 💕

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2