Menu

Who’s watching the Iron Bowl?

popmom

16 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Alabama has?/had? a fantastic scholarship program so my dd1 got a full tuition scholarship.  It is a super large one too so you have a lot of smart people at Alabama.

Let me one up plz 😂 (this is a joke. Sort of lol)

3 of my dds got nearly full tuition scholarships to AU. I take ALL the credit. 🤣Okay I can’t take THAT much credit.

Both universities have tightened up. A year before my twins started as freshmen, they would have received full tuition—which is great because it doesn’t even matter if tuition goes up every year. They changed it to xx amount of money—fixed each year. So most of tuition is covered, but extras like the luxury rec center fee isn’t covered. 😕

Still, both schools are very good academically. Auburn is so much better in core classes than when I attended in the late 80’s early 90’s. I’m sure U of A is the same.  My daughter who recently graduated (in the beginning of the pandemic when no one was interviewing) managed to find a great job in ATL in part due to Auburn’s graphic design program’s reputation. (But mostly because my girl is awesome) 😉 U of A is known for business and law. AU is known for engineering, vet school, architecture (which includes graphic/industrial  design), and agriculture. 

All this to say…both are great schools that are probably underrated by outsiders just because they are “SEC football schools”. 

I know nobody cares. But maybe @Faith-manor would be interested.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 5

On 11/27/2021 at 4:00 PM, Pawz4me said:

This is the first college football game one of our relatives has ever been to. I told her — silicone ear plugs. I don’t think she believed me, but I bet right about now she’s probably wishing she’d taken my advice. 😉 

We all had them at the Egg Bowl.  Those cowbell!  This was a few tears ago.  My dsil#1 had attended and even was on the Mississippi  State football team in his freshman  year.  He was a center. We made this trip to Starkville as a big family trip.  Dh, ds, and I traveled from Huntsville, and dd2 from her college in Memphis.  Dd1 and dsil1 were living nearby.  We were invited to a tailgate party, enjoyed muscaline grape ice cream. '  MSU has a creamery that uses milk their cows produce, and of course, the game. We had gotten cowbell for most if not all of us and brought ear plugs.  It was quite loud anyway.   But super fun too.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, popmom said:

Also good to know that Auburn is the Tigers, but we cheer, “War Eagle!”. 

My dh insists that what they saw was a black or turkey vulture because Golden eagles don't hang around stadiums filled w thousands of people. The Wikipedia page on all the myths is interesting.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Let me one up plz 😂 (this is a joke. Sort of lol)

3 of my dds got nearly full tuition scholarships to AU. I take ALL the credit. 🤣Okay I can’t take THAT much credit.

Both universities have tightened up. A year before my twins started as freshmen, they would have received full tuition—which is great because it doesn’t even matter if tuition goes up every year. They changed it to xx amount of money—fixed each year. So most of tuition is covered, but extras like the luxury rec center fee isn’t covered. 😕

Still, both schools are very good academically. Auburn is so much better in core classes than when I attended in the late 80’s early 90’s. I’m sure U of A is the same.  My daughter who recently graduated (in the beginning of the pandemic when no one was interviewing) managed to find a great job in ATL in part due to Auburn’s graphic design program’s reputation. (But mostly because my girl is awesome) 😉 U of A is known for business and law. AU is known for engineering, vet school, architecture (which includes graphic/industrial  design), and agriculture. 

All this to say…both are great schools that are probably underrated by outsiders just because they are “SEC football schools”. 

I know nobody cares. But maybe @Faith-manor would be interested.

Oh I am interested. Our son almost accepted UAH's offer - aerospace - but opted in the end for electrical engineering and a state school here. He adores EE! So in state tuition plus scholarships exceeded his award from UAH. I have a feeling my grandsons will be at UAH/UA or Auburn simply because dsil wants to remain in Huntsville and has a lot of job opportunities in the area for advancement. They are happy there, and so in state is going to be the thing, and if they go to UAH and live at home, it cuts costs by a whole bunch. Dorms and meal plans are out of control!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh I am interested. Our son almost accepted UAH's offer - aerospace - but opted in the end for electrical engineering and a state school here. He adores EE! So in state tuition plus scholarships exceeded his award from UAH. I have a feeling my grandsons will be at UAH/UA or Auburn simply because dsil wants to remain in Huntsville and has a lot of job opportunities in the area for advancement. They are happy there, and so in state is going to be the thing, and if they go to UAH and live at home, it cuts costs by a whole bunch. Dorms and meal plans are out of control!

Rabbit Trail, for those who may be uninformed:
Our oldest (homeschooled) son got a full automatic Bama out-of-state-tuition+ scholarship (based on ACT) in 2012.  He married an Auburn grad.
He coaxed our youngest son to take the full (automatic) UAH out-of-state-tuition scholarship (in 2020).

They both have had a great academic experience (Civil & EE, respectively).
IMO, Alabama's automatic scholarships are just a well-kept secret.
UAH has lots of commuters, lots of children-of-engineers, lots of scholarship recipients . . so the academic pressure is much higher than our son expected.
Plenty of tech jobs, as Huntsville's space program contractors are growing.

This is all just FYI, separate from the football . . . but we do believe Football finances many of the Bama scholarships . . .

. . . so . . . Roll Tide Roll!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Beth S said:

Rabbit Trail, for those who may be uninformed:
Our oldest (homeschooled) son got a full automatic Bama out-of-state-tuition+ scholarship (based on ACT) in 2012.  He married an Auburn grad.
He coaxed our youngest son to take the full (automatic) UAH out-of-state-tuition scholarship (in 2020).

They both have had a great academic experience (Civil & EE, respectively).
IMO, Alabama's automatic scholarships are just a well-kept secret.
UAH has lots of commuters, lots of children-of-engineers, lots of scholarship recipients . . so the academic pressure is much higher than our son expected.
Plenty of tech jobs, as Huntsville's space program contractors are growing.

This is all just FYI, separate from the football . . . but we do believe Football finances many of the Bama scholarships . . .

. . . so . . . Roll Tide Roll!

Not just space at all.  Defense is huge, secondary  headquarters of FBI, big presence of ATF, Toyota Engines new Toyota-Mazda plant. Bio places, Polaris, and on and on.

• Thanks 1