Menu

Who’s watching the Iron Bowl?

popmom

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

My daughter is in the student section. She said it’s insane—loud!!

This is the first college football game one of our relatives has ever been to. I told her — silicone ear plugs. I don’t think she believed me, but I bet right about now she’s probably wishing she’d taken my advice. 😉 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nursing a sprained ankle so lots of football today...

Just watched my Buckeyes lose to Michigan, but it was an exciting game - and I loved watching the snow. Pulling hard for Auburn in this one. BEAT BAMA!!

Super happy for Georgia - they are rocking number one! My dd graduates from UGA in December so this has been so exciting for her! (dh is a Tech fan so not a good season for him)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Nursing a sprained ankle so lots of football today...

Just watched my Buckeyes lose to Michigan, but it was an exciting game - and I loved watching the snow. Pulling hard for Auburn in this one. BEAT BAMA!!

Super happy for Georgia - they are rocking number one! My dd graduates from UGA in December so this has been so exciting for her! (dh is a Tech fan so not a good season for him)

Imrich, I am scared! Apparently this Auburn/Bama thing is like a blood feud on the level of UoM/MSU here. At closing on our retirement house just south of Huntsville, we were asked, "Are you an Auburn or a Bama fan?" And it didn't feel like a friendly question!!! 

I mean, I like UAH as a school so maybe I would lean forwards Bama but our realtor whom we formed a friendship with is Auburn. Oy! 😜

At any rate the only thing in whole world that unites every Michigander in the most extreme solidarity seen since Carthiaginians backed Hannibal and kicked Caesar's butt, the Wolverines smacked Ohio State upside the head which is actually the only thing that counts in college football!! 😂😂😂😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

This is the first college football game one of our relatives has ever been to. I told her — silicone ear plugs. I don’t think she believed me, but I bet right about now she’s probably wishing she’d taken my advice. 😉 

I’d love to know what your relative thinks about the experience. My daughter said the light show was really cool. She sent video. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, uhm....I just have to ask because I feel like I might get thrown out of Alabama if we move there and do not know this. What is "The Tide"? Roll Tide? Like, who is rolling? 👀

Lol. This is a safe space. Alabama is also known as the crimson tide. Honestly, no idea why. (I’m born into Alabama fandom, but never attended). So Roll Tide is about the crimson tide rolling over you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

Lol. This is a safe space. Alabama is also known as the crimson tide. Honestly, no idea why. (I’m born into Alabama fandom, but never attended). So Roll Tide is about the crimson tide rolling over you. 

Phew! Thank you! I thought Crimson Tide might be Harvard, and wondered how Auburn or Alabama managed to play in that league! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, uhm....I just have to ask because I feel like I might get thrown out of Alabama if we move there and do not know this. What is "The Tide"? Roll Tide? Like, who is rolling? 👀

Also good to know that Auburn is the Tigers, but we cheer, “War Eagle!”. Aubie the tiger is our mascot, but we also have gorgeous eagles that circle the stadium at every game. 

Alabamas mascot is an elephant named Big Al. No idea why! 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I know and his answer to that last question was priceless. Just so aggravating how much they win.  No animosity toward people, just the team. LOL.  

My girls went crazy because Saban smiled a real smile. Very rare. 😅

Edited by lauraw4321
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, so how many of you are Auburn, and how many Bama? Maybe I should pick a side based on hive majority!

My Colorado native friend decided based on the education level of the fan base. I’ll let you figure that out. 😉

Edited by popmom
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Just hoping next week they lose to UGA!!!!

Oh, not in this house. GA fans are worse than Bama fans. We will pull for Bama against GA. My husband cares more about that game than I do, but I’ll still root for Bama. And my heart rate will stay manageable. lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, popmom said:

My Colorado native friend decided based on the education level of the fan base. I’ll let you figure that out. 😉

Oy vey!!!! You are killing me! I can only imagine being in line at Kroger and someone  says, "Are you for Auburn or Alabama?" And then I say "X because they are smarter!" I am going to get my a$$ kicked...smug Michigander moves to Bama and immediately craps all over the sports culture. 😱 

Cue the Funeral March of the Marionettes. 💀

I think I am just going to be the weirdo that sticks with Notre Dame, and has no friends! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oy vey!!!! You are killing me! I can only imagine being in line at Kroger and someone  says, "Are you for Auburn or Alabama?" And then I say "X because they are smarter!" I am going to get my a$$ kicked...smug Michigander moves to Bama and immediately craps all over the sports culture. 😱 

Cue the Funeral March of the Marionettes. 💀

I think I am just going to be the weirdo that sticks with Notre Dame, and has no friends! 😂😂😂

Yep—you’d be so much better off. Just fly a Notre Dame flag off your porch, and they will leave you alone. 

It was so much easier to be an Auburn fan when we lived in Texas! 😂

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

We didn't watch, but DDs phone was blowing up- she has a few friends at the game and lots more watching. She says not to expect her next Thanksgiving,  bc she's going to this game, lol!  She's a student at Bama and loves it- she had never watched a football game in her life- but she's been to most of the home games and somehow manages to get right in the front of the student section.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

We didn't watch, but DDs phone was blowing up- she has a few friends at the game and lots more watching. She says not to expect her next Thanksgiving,  bc she's going to this game, lol!  She's a student at Bama and loves it- she had never watched a football game in her life- but she's been to most of the home games and somehow manages to get right in the front of the student section.  

Aaawww! That’s great! Nothing like game day in the SEC. Nothing tops the Iron Bowl. And next year it will be a home game for her!

It’s called the Iron Bowl because for eons it was played in Birmingham which is known for iron/steel industry. It was played every year at Legion field which was ((supposed)) to be neutral ground. That was a joke. Legion field was always a second “home field for Bama” because they often played other teams at Legion Field besides Auburn. 

When I was a student at Auburn, I experienced the first AL/AU game played at Jordan Hare stadium in December of 1989. It. Was. Glorious. Unforgettable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, popmom said:

Alabama has?/had? a fantastic scholarship program so my dd1 got a full tuition scholarship.  It is a super large one too so you have a lot of smart people at Alabama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, popmom said:

Nothing like game day in the SEC.

I delayed my spinal surgery for a week (could only be done on Thursday because of the need for a vascular surgeon too) so that I could go to my first Alabama game.  It is really hard to be recovering during holiday time- like I have suffered a lot of pain that I would not have if I hadn't gone to the game.  I do not regret it.  My dentist had given me four tickets to the AL-New Mexico State game in seats that were only a few rows up or down.  We took dd1 and dsil and made it into a mini-vacation.  I do not regret it at all even though my recovery is more difficult because of going. 

We had gone to the Egg Bowl (MS-MSU)  about seven or eight years ago and that was so loud.  But we had a great time- followed by a great flare for me but worth it.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Alabama has?/had? a fantastic scholarship program so my dd1 got a full tuition scholarship.  It is a super large one too so you have a lot of smart people at Alabama.

Yes, you do. Just teasing I'm sure.  We do the same thing to aTm. A ton of relatives went there, but we still tease them!

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I was teasing. No doubt there are tons of very smart people at Alabama! 

But the fan base in general…we joke that the majority of Alabama fans in the state have never set foot on campus. 😉 My dad is an Alabama alum. My nickname as a preschooler was “Bear”. I’m allowed to give y’all a hard time. 🤣

• Haha 1