Menu

Do you correct letter formation at this age?

Momof4sweetkids

We are new to homeschooling, my daughters are 4, almost 2 and 6 months. My oldest is doing K4 with MWC K and AAR. She is starting to write and I'm not sure if I should be correcting formation or just letting her write to learn to enjoy it. When did you start teaching handwriting? I have the HWT book but haven't used it much yet.

Edited by Momof3sweetgirls

Please teach proper form.  Teach it as an artistic stroke, or however you want to look at it.

I've worked with too many kids who struggle with handwriting later because they were given a laissez-faire approach in the formative years.  It's not fair to them to let them do it however and then try to teach correctly later.  It's poison mean and stunts the writing process.

At 4, I didn't teach writing.  I spent a lot of time with developing that skill through other means, and then taught letter forms when he was more receptive.  I think I would do the same with another 4yo: lots of chalk art, painting, washing the table, spirograph, clothespin games....and just put letter books away until she is reading.

• Thanks 1

It is very important to teach proper form.  It is extremely difficult to undo bad habits, and there really is a reason letters are formed the way they are.  I would have a 5 minute writing lesson each day and not let her use writing implements unless you can watch her carefully enough to correct her every time she does it wrong.

I know that sounds harsh, but I know from experience that it's important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Momof4sweetkids changed the title to Do you correct letter formation at this age?
  • 3 months later...

I would 100% wait for the ability to hold a pencil correctly before even thinking of teaching writing.

I also 100% would correct pencil grip when learning to write every time from the first time. I don't worry so much about messy letters or reversals at first (it's pretty normal and only an indication of dyslexia if it persists). 

In K I start to correct letter formation, but not all the time or all situations. For example, I always correct writing mistakes in a writing lesson, but not always in other subjects, eg in math I won't correct a backwards E in the word one. By 1st I'm correcting reversed numbers and letters, and starting to focus more on messy letters eg open-topped lower case As. I gradually increase the frequency and situations where I'll correct letter & numeral formation until about the end of 1st grade I'll always correct any reversed or malformed letters, but as always, this is a rough timeline and all children are different. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...