Menu

Do any of you know anything about rap music?

Is that a long shot on a homeschool board?

We are mentoring a young man (turning 14 this week) from Africa and he is getting a CD player for his birthday - something he's wanted for a long time. He also asked for some rap music. His family is very strict about language and he's a straight arrow himself, so I want music with lyrics you could listen to with your mother. Clean. Edifying would be nice. I am learning how to download music and burn CDs, so I thought I would make him a compilation disc if you know some really great, fun rap songs that you are 100% positive don't have any bad words in them. I don't think I even want the words bleeped out, because while I doubt his parents would be able to fill in the blanks, his younger siblings probably could, and I don't want to go there.

I used to listen to a lot of rap music, but I'm very much out of the loop these days. I agree with the pp about Will Smith. LL Cool J has been around for decades, and I've always been a big fan, but you do have to be careful. IIRC, he isn't big on 4-letter words or violence, but many of his songs (at least from ages ago) are very sexual.

Clean stuff is out there. I think a Google search should point you in the right direction. I'm just unfamiliar with today's stuff.

I know nothing at all about rap at this point, but I am working towards familiarizing myself with all genres of music.

You can look up and preview songs with Napster. They have an "explicit" label on anything that is questionable. This might be a good option because you can purchase individual tracks and compile your own CD's. You don't have to pass up an entire album if an artist has one or two "explicit" songs.

I know nothing at all about rap at this point, but I am working towards familiarizing myself with all genres of music.

You can look up and preview songs with Napster. They have an "explicit" label on anything that is questionable. This might be a good option because you can purchase individual tracks and compile your own CD's. You don't have to pass up an entire album if an artist has one or two "explicit" songs.

maybe Napster tags differently than iTunes, but this has been a source of frustration for my son. if one song on an album is explicit, the entire album gets labeled such. he's mostly looked for heavy metal tunes.

a friend just gave him a bunch of rap to listen to. as much as he likes the genre, he remarked yesterday not only on how crude the language is but also how insulting the depictions and roles of women are. at 15 i can't control what he encounters in the world but i am pleased at how reflective he becomes when he comes up against issues like this.

I third Will Smith. He prides himself on not being crude. If you are interested in Christian music, there are some local guys that I worked with recently who have a lot of talent. (I work as sound engineer ont the side sometimes) They haven't made it big, but they really are pretty good - they were one of 4 local rap groups to perform and they were by far the best. Lots of energy and good flowing rhymes. And they were really polite and genuine off the stage. This is there website http://sonzofthunda.com.p4.hostingprod.com/ministry, you could probably call the phone number and order a CD.

maybe Napster tags differently than iTunes, but this has been a source of frustration for my son. if one song on an album is explicit, the entire album gets labeled such. he's mostly looked for heavy metal tunes.

a friend just gave him a bunch of rap to listen to. as much as he likes the genre, he remarked yesterday not only on how crude the language is but also how insulting the depictions and roles of women are. at 15 i can't control what he encounters in the world but i am pleased at how reflective he becomes when he comes up against issues like this.

Maybe they do. To be honest, I have been surprised at some of the songs that get tagged.

I am glad your ds is critical about his music. I think many people listen indescriminately because "it has a good beat" and don't realise how much those awful lyrics affect their attitudes.

Mike E. is an older Christian artist that's...also a good rapper, lol. Some of his better songs have tough themes...but no bad language.

Manafest has a good song called Bounce (be sure you spell it that way; there's a group called Manifest Destiny that I think has a similar single--the oddly spelled Manafest is the Christian group).

Lakita is another one I like. (Speak to the Hand and Make it Right are two good ones). Again...Christian, but good rap. Also tough themes, but no foul language.

HTH.