Menu

Group b strep prevention?

AbcdeDooDah

DD 19 kept getting what she though were UTIs. She’s been on some pretty heavy duty meds for the last month because it kept coming back. FInally they sent a sample to the lab and its group b strep. Is there anything she can take as a manintenance-type thing? She’s taking d-mannose because she thought it was UTI. Anything for Group B?

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

I agree with them needing to find the right antibiotics.  Since she was cultured, hopefully they can match it to the right antibiotic sooner than later.

However, there is this study (published by a probiotic company with regards to pregnant women so not unbiased necessarily) that shows that certain probiotics can be helpful in prevention and treatment.  But I wouldn't do it instead of the antibiotics.  https://www.optibacprobiotics.com/professionals/latest-research/childrens-health/lactobacillus-reduces-group-b-strep-pregnancy

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

If they get the right antibiotic it shouldn't be necessary. There are antibiotic resistant strains.   Poor kid, that's miserable.

Hopefully this works. They are giving her penicillin/ampicillin for the first time so hopefully this does the trick. She’s newly married and living across the country. I feel for her being so uncomfortable.

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I agree with them needing to find the right antibiotics.  Since she was cultured, hopefully they can match it to the right antibiotic sooner than later.

However, there is this study (published by a probiotic company with regards to pregnant women so not unbiased necessarily) that shows that certain probiotics can be helpful in prevention and treatment.  But I wouldn't do it instead of the antibiotics.  https://www.optibacprobiotics.com/professionals/latest-research/childrens-health/lactobacillus-reduces-group-b-strep-pregnancy

That’s good. I told her to get some last week because she’s been on so many things. I’ll send her the link. Thanks.

Treat the current infection and then for prevention, I have seen a lot of success with making sure to balance flora.   It is similar to yeast in that an overgrowth is what's the problem and the body can keep it in check with a balanced, healthy gut.  Things like kefir, raw apple cider vinegar and probiotics are very helpful and need to make be part of her routine.  Since she's newly married, I would also get the spouse on the same types of things as it could be coming from them.  

• Like 4

Preventing GBS infection (or at least reducing the likelihood) of it can be helped by two specific strains of probiotics.  Just lactobacillus (random strains) might not cut it.  The two specific strains she should look for in a probiotic are Reuteri and rhamnosus.  It can be challenging finding a probiotic that has both, but they are out there.  I would highly recommend she find one and start it, especially if they are wanting to get pregnant soon as GBS in pregnancy can change birth plans (depending of course on the provider.  Midwives are generally more open to alternative treatments, even in cases of hx of GBS colonization).  

As nasty as antibiotics go, it’s hopefully going to help now, and then she can focus on prevention (as mentioned above with D-mannose, uva Ursi tea, good probiotics, etc.  Cutting sugars in general is a good idea.).

That stinks for her.  I hope she’s able to nip it in the bud.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, busymama7 said:

Treat the current infection and then for prevention, I have seen a lot of success with making sure to balance flora.   It is similar to yeast in that an overgrowth is what's the problem and the body can keep it in check with a balanced, healthy gut.  Things like kefir, raw apple cider vinegar and probiotics are very helpful and need to make be part of her routine.  Since she's newly married, I would also get the spouse on the same types of things as it could be coming from them.  

Thank you!

I am passing all the suggestions on to her.