Menu

Foam versus Spring mattress

Teaching3bears

We did not do well at all with a memory foam mattress. Too hot, broke down after only two years, etc. We shelled out the big bucks for a Weston Heavenly Bed. We had slept on one several times at the Weston in Southfield, and it was the best sleep we had experienced in years. The investment was worth every penny. It has springs.

• Like 2

I really "wanted" to like memory foam.  We were in the market for a new bed end 2019/beginning 2020.   I researched and researched more......(repeat) and thought Beautyrest Black was THE one.  I think that's what it was called.  Went to the store and tried it out.  I could not stand it.  Tried other memory foam mattresses and could not stand it.  In one I found it difficult to get up/out of bed.  Now I've since come to realize I think memory foam mattresses are available in different density - maybe?  So, maybe we were on one for a 110 lb, IDK but dh and I weigh more than that and sunk.  I felt like I was "trapped" and could not stand that feeling.

We didn't have a back up as I was set on BB.  But, a customer came in and asked if they sold this particular manufacturer to which the sales associate said, "Yes".   She said it was the best mattress she's ever bought and highly recommended it.  Well, they had one on the floor and dh and I tried that one out too.  WHAT A FIND!  It's been great! So liking this set.  DH and I slept on a new bed my sister and her dh bought last month.   It's very nice too!

It's really personal preference.  Many people like memory foam and others prefer coil/springs.   No right or wrong answer.  Just preference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I think foam is nicer for two people because if one person moves, the other doesn't feel it. 

For a twin, I'd get springs.

Emily

But, on our new set neither dh or I can feel "movement" from the other sleeper and we have springs/coil.  It's because we have a king but also due to the construction of this nice set.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We did not do well at all with a memory foam mattress. Too hot, broke down after only two years, etc. We shelled out the big bucks for a Weston Heavenly Bed. We had slept on one several times at the Weston in Southfield, and it was the best sleep we had experienced in years. The investment was worth every penny. It has springs.

We have Westin pillows and they are NICE! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I think foam is nicer for two people because if one person moves, the other doesn't feel it. 

3 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We shelled out the money for a Tempurpedic 14-15 yrs ago and it’s been fabulous. 

We had tempurpedic and we can still tell  when one of us roll on the bed. Now we have a spring mattress.

We brought our teens to Mattress Firm before Covid19 and they picked the firmness they want for their twin mattresses. Both went for models with pillow tops. I think they went for the firmest or second firmest choice.

8 hours ago, sheryl said:

I really "wanted" to like memory foam.  We were in the market for a new bed end 2019/beginning 2020.   I researched and researched more......(repeat) and thought Beautyrest Black was THE one.  I think that's what it was called.  Went to the store and tried it out.  I could not stand it.  Tried other memory foam mattresses and could not stand it.  In one I found it difficult to get up/out of bed.  Now I've since come to realize I think memory foam mattresses are available in different density - maybe?  So, maybe we were on one for a 110 lb, IDK but dh and I weigh more than that and sunk.  I felt like I was "trapped" and could not stand that feeling.

We didn't have a back up as I was set on BB.  But, a customer came in and asked if they sold this particular manufacturer to which the sales associate said, "Yes".   She said it was the best mattress she's ever bought and highly recommended it.  Well, they had one on the floor and dh and I tried that one out too.  WHAT A FIND!  It's been great! So liking this set.  DH and I slept on a new bed my sister and her dh bought last month.   It's very nice too!

It's really personal preference.  Many people like memory foam and others prefer coil/springs.   No right or wrong answer.  Just preference.  

Do you know what it’s called?

• Like 3

Just to mix it up, we have a latex mattress and love it. We've had it about 10 yrs and it's still the same. We can arrange the levels on each side of the bed so that DH and I have different softness levels too. I think it has less off gassing than memory foam too, but I could be mistaken. 

• Like 1

I will say, for our daybed that is now used more as a couch than a bed we are getting a spring mattress. It just does a better job when sitting, and putting a lot of weight in one spot, vs the foam. Thicker foam would also work, but I don't want to spend that much. Cheap spring should work for this purpose (for the school room)

On 11/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, Forget-Me-Not said:

We shelled out the money for a Tempurpedic 14-15 yrs ago and it’s been fabulous. I thought I’d miss the bounce of a regular mattress/box spring set up, but I don’t. We haven’t had any issues with sagging or indentations with ours all this time. We miss our bed when we go on vacation. 

Same here.  I'll never go back to a regular mattress; that Temperpedic has been a godsend.

I got him a casper knock off.  1ds had bought a casper and loves it.

I'm in the hybrid or foam camp.

(dh and I have been looking at mattresses for ourselves.  I was leaning hybrid (even Tempur-Pedic makes one), though seriously considering a foam one.  I have latex. I've looked at too many mattresses and a lot of stores.  We bought a sleep-number.  We'll see how it does.)

On 11/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, Paige said:

Just to mix it up, we have a latex mattress and love it. We've had it about 10 yrs and it's still the same. We can arrange the levels on each side of the bed so that DH and I have different softness levels too. I think it has less off gassing than memory foam too, but I could be mistaken. 

What is the brand of your latex mattress? We have one and have loved it for 10 years and it's time to replace. We've liked the latex because I'm a side sleeper and sleep hot and my husband moves a lot (which I don't feel). The company where we bought ours has gone out of business.

1 hour ago, CTVKath said:

What is the brand of your latex mattress? We have one and have loved it for 10 years and it's time to replace. We've liked the latex because I'm a side sleeper and sleep hot and my husband moves a lot (which I don't feel). The company where we bought ours has gone out of business.

You have exactly described our situation -- dh moves a lot, I sleep on my side, sleeping hot -- so I need all the details of what works.

12 hours ago, CTVKath said:

I think it's a Flobed. 

https://www.flobeds.com/product/natural-latex-mattress/

• Like 3