Menu

Ethanol vs. electric fireplaces

PeterPan

Electric is safer. I’ve used the alcohol cans on buffets and alcohol stoves backpacking. I considered both and ended up buying an electric one for a house maybe 10 years back. The led projection was surprisingly real, and only kicked out heat if you turned the heat on, which was great for watching a Christmas movie in July. I’d make the same decision again. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd like something that produces a little more heat by spending a couple hundred; not thousands.

See that's the thing. When we built this house (and moved in with it partially finished), we were planning fireplaces on the main floor and basement. Now, 15+ years later, I don't feel the lack. Well that's not true--in the basement it would be nice to have a fireplace making a little heat. But on the main floor, zero reason for that. It's more just that we left a spot, put in the wiring, and have this abyss of a wall. I haven't had a tv in there either but just brought up the old tv from the basement to try it out. In my usual overcomplication, I'm trying to figure out where I see this going (tv above or beside a fireplace, no fireplace) and what the dimensions of that fireplace would be.

Is an electric fireplace so charming that it's worth doing even if you don't care about the heat?

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Electric is safer.

I'll have to google this. I would have thought they'd have safety figured out by now. Ok, a quick google is not looking good for the ethanol. Foo. 

So the question is fake fire or no fire. I think in a basement that's easy, but in this room I don't know. I think I'd need to hit a fireplace store to sort that out.

Edited by PeterPan

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

See that's the thing. When we built this house (and moved in with it partially finished), we were planning fireplaces on the main floor and basement. Now, 15+ years later, I don't feel the lack. Well that's not true--in the basement it would be nice to have a fireplace making a little heat. But on the main floor, zero reason for that. It's more just that we left a spot, put in the wiring, and have this abyss of a wall. I haven't had a tv in there either but just brought up the old tv from the basement to try it out. In my usual overcomplication, I'm trying to figure out where I see this going (tv above or beside a fireplace, no fireplace) and what the dimensions of that fireplace would be.

Is an electric fireplace so charming that it's worth doing even if you don't care about the heat?

I'll have to google this. I would have thought they'd have safety figured out by now. Ok, a quick google is not looking good for the ethanol. Foo. 

So the question is fake fire or no fire. I think in a basement that's easy, but in this room I don't know. I think I'd need to hit a fireplace store to sort that out.

A fireplace store will definitely answer your questions 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That would involve going to a store, whereas I'm trying to solve all the problems of the world from the comfort of my chair. But I could call, that would work.

I personally didn’t figure out that I wanted an electric insert on a fireplace I made myself until I went to a large fireplace store.  It took a two minute walkthrough. If there’s one near you it’s worth the trip. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That would involve going to a store, whereas I'm trying to solve all the problems of the world from the comfort of my chair. But I could call, that would work.

You don't just want a fireplace store. Call and actually heating business, one that deals in fireplaces, stoves, furnaces, maybe even geothermal heat. There are lots of "fireplace shops" that sell product but do not install. So your questions would be answered by someone who does not know the fire codes for your area, nor understands anything about energy efficiency for your home. Much of what you need literally depends on your specific situation. Not all electric or gas log fireplaces are created equal. And that said, they really are not meant to provide much heat, and generally exist for ambience. But there are some like soapstones, that are meant to he a secondary source of heat, and then heat the stone around it so that it radiates heat for quite a while even after being turned down. Again though, what you can actually have safely is dependent upon where you want it installed, building codes for your area, and how much secondary heat you want to produce along with your local climate conditions. There are some nice formulas they can use to calculate that and point you it the right set up, but only if these are licensed installers who have been trained in it, and not just someone trying to sell an "off the shelf" fireplace that they expect you to figure out how to get installed and working. Building contractors usually have a heating business they work with locally so if you knows someone in the building business, this may be a good place to start.

When my dad was alive, he owned a heating and air conditioning business. He did everything, even wood boilers and waste oil furnaces as well as wood stoves, wood fireplaces, electric, and gas. The only thing he did not specialize in was geothermal heat. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

heating business, one that deals in fireplaces, stoves, furnaces, maybe even geothermal heat.

Yeah, we visited one years ago and picked out stuff. I slow walked it because I was skeptical that any of the things they were pushing on me (gas, etc.) would work with my sensitivities. The technology has changed since then, and electric seems to have become the norm. I'm trying to get up to speed so I can even know whether I want a fireplace anymore and what that would be. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411164640972809591/  I found this picture that I thought might look nice in my house. I liked the low mantle and the efficiency of it. Sort of fresh classical.

29 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, we visited one years ago and picked out stuff. I slow walked it because I was skeptical that any of the things they were pushing on me (gas, etc.) would work with my sensitivities. The technology has changed since then, and electric seems to have become the norm. I'm trying to get up to speed so I can even know whether I want a fireplace anymore and what that would be. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411164640972809591/  I found this picture that I thought might look nice in my house. I liked the low mantle and the efficiency of it. Sort of fresh classical.

Nice fireplace. Great look! I would venture a guess that it is strictly ambience and puts put no appreciable heat. But without manufacturer specs, I can't be certain and yes, the tech has changed a lot in the past ten years.

• Like 1

I got decision fatigue and ended up getting THIS and THIS.  The tiny little log thing actually does produce some heat and would be fine in a small room, but my room is about 500 square feet with a gabled ceiling, two interior doorways, a giant window, and a sliding glass door.  It's also on a slab.  It really does need it's own heat source but that's never made it to the top of the priority list.  It was a dance studio for years, so we didn't care, but now it's a family room again and it's a problem in the winter. If I won the lottery, I'd heat the floor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I got decision fatigue and ended up getting THIS and THIS.  The tiny little log thing actually does produce some heat and would be fine in a small room, but my room is about 500 square feet with a gabled ceiling, two interior doorways, a giant window, and a sliding glass door.  It's also on a slab.  It really does need it's own heat source but that's never made it to the top of the priority list.  It was a dance studio for years, so we didn't care, but now it's a family room again and it's a problem in the winter. If I won the lottery, I'd heat the floor.

Radiant floor has been economical for us. Except in one area. In floor heating also heats up the objects in the room. That is great for a couch. It is not so wonderful for A $35,000 baby grand piano for whom no amount of humidity can compensate so now the pin block is dried out and needs to be replaced. A $3500 repair or worse depending on the condition of the sound board. So far we have not heard evidence of a cracked sound board, but my climate control runs none stop and needs water so often that I have to wonder just how gutted the piano is going to end up being!