Menu

My oldest's high school is starting a GONADS Club

Terabith

Get Outside Now And Do Stuff

And yes, I'm quite sure they are aware of the acronym.  This is a hippie school with a quidditch team, where all the teachers teach in birkenstocks and tshirts, and the teachers all go by their first names.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 8
  • Haha 23

52 minutes ago, Ditto said:

What a fantastic school!   I would love to be a part of a school like that.  

It's a pretty neat school.  They also don't have typical high school English and history classes.  Last year my kid took a semester on The Epic of Gilgamesh and a semester on "Interwar Russian Science Fiction."  And US history.  This semester they are taking a class on "Sea Faring Tales" and a Shakespeare class.  They also have pretty open campus and can walk downtown to get take out from restaurants, which gives valuable practice in independent navigation before driving.  And a big class has like 8 kids.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

It's a pretty neat school.  They also don't have typical high school English and history classes.  Last year my kid took a semester on The Epic of Gilgamesh and a semester on "Interwar Russian Science Fiction."  And US history.  This semester they are taking a class on "Sea Faring Tales" and a Shakespeare class.  They also have pretty open campus and can walk downtown to get take out from restaurants, which gives valuable practice in independent navigation before driving.  And a big class has like 8 kids.  

This is just amazing and the way HS should be.   Obviously the teachers and administrators running it are my people.   I wish I could find my way to this lovely school/lovely people.

• Like 1

To be honest, I have real questions about their funding scheme.  We kinda joke that it's a mob front, because the school only has like 70 kids.  Tiny classes.  And tuition is like $5,000 a year, which even for our relatively low cost of living area, is INSANELY cheap for private school.  

But, I'm just grateful, so if it is a mob front, I'm just going to say thank you.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is important . . . What’s growing in their garden?  I’d bet money that they have an organic garden that could potentially find the whole operation. 

I do not think they have a garden.  They don't have a lot of outdoor space, and it's mostly taken up with tents and tables, because for most of the year they aren't allowed to eat indoors because of covid.  There's also a train that literally runs through the school yard about 20 feet from the door.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terabith said:

To be honest, I have real questions about their funding scheme.  We kinda joke that it's a mob front, because the school only has like 70 kids.  Tiny classes.  And tuition is like $5,000 a year, which even for our relatively low cost of living area, is INSANELY cheap for private school.  

But, I'm just grateful, so if it is a mob front, I'm just going to say thank you.  

Let me tell you, if I was part of that school I would have the same reaction as you--just say thank you and be grateful.

• Like 2