Menu

Customized graduation gown

maize

Has anyone had a graduation gown customized for their homeschool?

My oldest is graduating in the spring. I'm thinking of getting a graduation gown and having it embroidered with the name of our homeschool and a school symbol; the younger kids could wear it in turn.

Has anyone done this?

We ended up getting two for L last year-the one that the homeschool graduation we did required, but also the one in the colors that we'd used for our homeschool for years and that was more special to us. (We also used those colors and symbols for announcements, a yard sign, t-shirts, etc and at the party). 

• Like 3

What a brilliant idea! This sounds lovely and very, very special. 

One word of warning: the graduation gowns that come from some big retailers are sometimes very, very cheaply made and wouldn't stand up to embroidery. I suggest you check very carefully into the material before purchasing. Even better, have one made if no one in your family sews. 

The ones I have looked at were so cheap that they might get runs and pulls in them when embroidery is attempted. You might want to look at some of the choral, performance wear websites. Graduation robes are the same pattern, for the most part, as choir robes. Choir robes are made to last decades. You might also consider making it yourself if you have a sewing background.

Our Dd did not want a standard graduation gown. She was not taking part in a larger commencement, but having a piano and vocal recital at home with a reception afterward, and we graduated her then, even had a special speaker. It was a great night. My mom made her an absolutely gorgeous evening gown.

• Like 2

My dd borrowed her best friend's just hours before friend's public school graduation.  That robe got to graduate two kids in one day!  Ha ha!  It was very cheap.  I don't think embroidery would have worked.  One option would be to add a (the word is escaping me right now) band of cloth to drape around the neck.  That could be personalized as you want and small enough for each of your children to save as a keepsake.

Reusing the graduation gown would be a great idea, but only if your kids are about the same height.  Oldest dd is tall, but ds is taller, so I don’t expect him to use hers because it will be too short.  Little dd is still very young, but she’s always been much lower on the growth charts, so I don’t expect her to use the other gowns, unless I can find someone to hem it.

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

My dd borrowed her best friend's just hours before friend's public school graduation.  That robe got to graduate two kids in one day!  Ha ha!  It was very cheap.  I don't think embroidery would have worked.  One option would be to add a (the word is escaping me right now) band of cloth to drape around the neck.  That could be personalized as you want and small enough for each of your children to save as a keepsake.

Oh, a stole! That does seem like a nice idea--a personalized stole for each child. 

Are stoles common for high school graduations? I didn't attend high school in the US and don't have a good grasp on related customs.

Edited by maize

Stoles aren't common in high school graduations. But you can do what you want. I like that idea.

You could also make the tassels on the cap different or special for each kid. That's something that some kids save anyway. Sometimes they have a little charm on them and you could do something sort of personalized for each one.

• Like 2