Menu

Good virtual Calc 2 option?

MamaSprout

Our spring semester is starting to fall apart. Calc 2 is wait listed at Dd's DE school. There is one section open with a professor with a truly bad instructor, so we will opt out. Dd already has taken (and gotten a B) in Blue Tent Calc BC. She just whiffed the AP exam, so no credit. She currently has an A+ in her Calc 1 retake.

I'm pretty sure it's too late to fine a seat for AP Calc BC anywhere.

Her first choice university for fall doesn't generally accept online DE credit, but does allow testing for placement, so at this point I think we're looking for a engaging Calc 2 class so she can be ready to test.

Otherwise I will just roll the dice with the online CC class and test for placement as we have no other local options unless I just pay a local college student to tutor her.

Suggestions?

TIA

9 minutes ago, freesia said:

Why does she need to do Calc 2 before college and get credit for it?  That would inform my answer. 

She will be an engineering student with (probably) a dual major in international studies. When we map out her classes, she needs the Calc 2 (which she's already really done as Blue Tent's BC class covers more than the usual BC content), in order to even have a chance of finishing in four years. That and she wants to be able to fit in some interesting math later on.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

She will be an engineering student with (probably) a dual major in international studies. When we map out her classes, she needs the Calc 2 (which she's already really done as Blue Tent's BC class covers more than the usual BC content), in order to even have a chance of finishing in four years. That and she wants to be able to fit in some interesting math later on.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess in your place I’d go for the online DE class, but I think all your options could work out ok. 

• Like 1

It's not too late to find a seat for AP Calc BC necessarily. Depends on where you live. Around me it would still be possible for another week or so with relative ease and for another couple of months (before the late date) with less ease, but I'd bet anything you could find one.

I'd base your DE class choice in part on what's cheaper. Even if it's virtual, in state is usually cheaper. You could do it through ASU, but those classes will only be okay. I'd aim for regional and reading ratemyprofessor reviews. 

• Like 1

I never did find a good online Calc 2 course, so we did dual enrollment, despite despising tying ourselves to dual enrollment! Would your college options be better in summer? My daughter actually did her Calc 2 as a five week intensive at the local college (a few years ago now). It sounds like summer might work timewise if testing occurs in fall.

9 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

I never did find a good online Calc 2 course, so we did dual enrollment, despite despising tying ourselves to dual enrollment! Would your college options be better in summer? My daughter actually did her Calc 2 as a five week intensive at the local college (a few years ago now). It sounds like summer might work timewise if testing occurs in fall.

We thought of that, but dd’s summer is likely to be full. In fact her first pick college has a program for the summer that basically covers Calc 2 and 3 and Physics 2 so students have those credits out of the way. ETA- that would be ideal if she could do it.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

We thought of that, but dd’s summer is likely to be full. In fact her first pick college has a program for the summer that basically covers Calc 2 and 3 and Physics 2 so students have those credits out of the way. ETA- that would be ideal if she could do it.

Is she going to attend that over the summer? If she is, then honestly I would just self study calculus with online materials (MiT has lectures on all and AoPS textbook has some challenging problem sets) and basically prepare for that boot camp. Because what would be a point of either a score or an official grade if she is heading into that summer program? 

25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Is she going to attend that over the summer? If she is, then honestly I would just self study calculus with online materials (MiT has lectures on all and AoPS textbook has some challenging problem sets) and basically prepare for that boot camp. Because what would be a point of either a score or an official grade if she is heading into that summer program? 

She's not able to do it over the summer. That would be perfect, but she has a lot of potential stuff on this summer already.

• Like 1

Okay. She has a seat for Calc BC. (Yay? She hates tests, lol.) In reviewing her target college's policy, Calc BC is the only guaranteed way to get credit, though. They are super picky about DE, so even if she makes it off the wait list, I think she should still test.

Our state GATE school has an online course she might maybe do, but now that she has a seat, I'm wondering if there are other approaches to preparing that she might like better since she's already done the material. 🤔

• Like 2